Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

Good news regarding the Munster championship. Tipp V Kerry in the SFC and Tipp V Limerick in the SHC is now a double header. The junior football/intermediate hurling double is the day before in Nenagh

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=161377

monb wrote: »
    Shane is a good solid hurler. Won't do anything too flash but won't be caught out much either. Its a pity he couldn't commit last year. I'd expect him to have put Henry Shefflin under a lot more pressure than John O'Keefe did.
    He has been in great form for Burgess in the last few years.
    It said in the match programme for the LIT match that this is the most Mahers on a Tipp team since the 1940's or 50's when there was 6.

Re. the players that have been dropped the only two that might have been borderline calls for me were Lillis and Kerwick.
    In fairness Pat hasn't been able to get back to form because of all his injuries so he probably doesnt merit a panel place at the minute but he could be drafted back in later in the year.
    Lillis has played very well for the Sarsfields but I havent seen much from him in a Tipp jersey. We're well served with hurlers who can slot in at wing back as it is.

Dont think Gerry Walsh was doing too bad to be fair and i can honestly say there is a certain other corner forward that although he is scoring these tallies in charity matches, i dont think he will be good enough when it comes to marking JJ Delaney or Jackie Tyrell.
    He was mainly scoring the points last week off another tried, tested and failed corner back who has been kept on the panel.
    I accept Festy might have lost form but i believe the pitches this time of the year may not suit his game. We'll see him again i reckon. Festy isnt afraid of the physical stuff anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipperary are up 2-4 over UL's 0-7 in the Waterford Crystal Cup. Latest score.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Conor O'Brien shud have been dropped also in my opinion. Slot Brendan Maher back into number 5, which shud have been done last august/september instead of Ryan keeping with fellow club man O'Keeffe. Maher played half back in 2009. Pa Bourke to slot into the forwards now that Callanan is injured and we are ready for battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good news regarding the Munster championship. Tipp V Kerry in the SFC and Tipp V Limerick in the SHC is now a double header. The junior football/intermediate hurling double is the day before in Nenagh

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=161377
    Good idea but I hope the ticket prices don't sky rocket for these games now.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Good idea but I hope the ticket prices don't sky rocket for these games now.

if you have the season ticket that should cover the both as far as i know. probably still not too late to sign up for it.

Cashel v Ballybacon today in the long awaited 2011 relegation semi final. Losers play Borrisokane next week with the losers of that relegated to intermediate for 2012

Tipperary playing Cork next weekend in Clonmel. Will definitely pop up for it.

Tipperary playing Cork next weekend in Clonmel. Will definitely pop up for it.

Would have been nearly better if they made the double header of it and play it with the football in semple next weekend. is it on saturday or sunday?

Cashel won the relegation semi 14-8 so its Ballybacon or Borrisokane who will make the drop next week. Feel bad for Ballybacon considering they originally played cashel in this fixture back a few months ago and beat them after extra time.

Would have been nearly better if they made the double header of it and play it with the football in semple next weekend. is it on saturday or sunday?

I rather in Clonmel, I've no transport up to Semple. So it's grand for me. But I see what you mean, further value.

Can't find a day but I could've seen Sunday somewhere.

• Advertisement

I rather in Clonmel, I've no transport up to Semple. So it's grand for me. But I see what you mean, further value.

Can't find a day but I could've seen Sunday somewhere.

Ah yeah its great to see a bit of promotion in clonmel these times and i notice these times you see more kids wearing tipp jerseys around the town which going back a few years ago they were a rarity despite fierce support in one or two parts.

After that disastrous ending to the NFL season with my beloved Patriots losing, time to focus more on the soccer and the upcoming GAA season.

After that disastrous ending to the NFL season with my beloved Patriots losing, time to focus more on the soccer and the upcoming GAA season.

Keep your Tom Brady we've a Lar Outside :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Any truth to rumours of Lar Corbett retiring?
    Been mentioned on twitter by several people

Keep your Tom Brady we've a Lar Outside :D

Fcuk yer Brady I've a Bonner Maher outside, more like!

Ah tough loss but I'm getting excited about the hurling campaign this year.

Ah balls. Corbett has indeed retired.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2012/0206/1224311395033.html
    GAA: Tipperary hurling was in shock tonight with the news that Lar Corbett is to walk away from the county scene. The 30-year-old informed manager Declan Ryan in person and is believed to have circulated a text message to his Tipperary teammates to make them aware of his decision.

The 2010 hurler of the year, who scored a hat-trick of goals against Kilkenny in that year’s final as Tipperary reclaimed the All-Ireland after almost a decade in the wilderness, had yet to return to training with the county this year.

He was named in the Munster interprovincial squad for the recent challenge match against a Tipperary selection in aid of Breast Cancer Ireland, but did not feature in that game either.

It is understood that Corbett will continue to line out for his club Thurles Sarsfields but his decision to quit the Tipperary set-up will send shockwaves through the entire hurling community. He met with Ryan this evening to confirm he was calling it a day after letting his teammates know that he was unable to commit himself fully to the cause by sending a group text message.

His withdrawal comes shortly after boss Ryan cut seven players from an extended squad. Corbett now becomes the second player from last year’s squad to announce his intercounty retirement, following in the footsteps of fellow 2010 All-Ireland medallist Benny Dunne.

He's a huge loss. Time for Tipperary hurlers to step up.

something happened behind the scenes its too unexpected at this time of year. if he was going to do it he would have done it in october/november. anyone have any insight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

alan27 wrote: »
    something happened behind the scenes its too unexpected at this time of year. if he was going to do it he would have done it in october/november. anyone have any insight?
    Id have to agree. Very unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

Lar got tired of Declan Ryan's preference for players from Clonoulty Rossmore, players like John O'Neill are not good enough for Tipperary, and bringing him on in the All Ireland just shows favoritism

Not too wrong there and starting O'Keeffe instead of Brendan Maher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Lar has a fairly level head on him. He has his All-Ireland and rather than spend another year committing to the county team he wants to focus on making his few quid. Id guess he was told to sleep on it for a while which is why hes only coming out with it now.

Its the unfortunate reality of the amateur game and to be honest Im surprised we dont see it a bit more. A bad day for Tipperary alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ah jaysus,this is a sad day for Tipp Hurling.

Definitely an issue with the coaching staff IMO. Corbett's had a difficult time to get where he is now trying to break into the squad and hit form. Now he's a top player in the game, loved by thousands, and an integral part of the team.

You don't score the following and then just give it up: 6-11 in 2009 and 6-11 in 2010 with 7-9 in 2011 (5 games). I'm sure there must be passion there - but I can understand him looking out for himself in the long run business-wise but he surely has a few years in the tank left.

I still maintain Ryan's failure to make tactical changes in the All-Ireland has ramifications for today.

When Lar was on the late late show about march/april 2011 with Paudie Maher and Conor O'Mahoney. They were speaking about the current recession and at the time Corbett was yet to officially launch the pub, he was quoted as saying he wouldnt emigrate to Australia because his years with Tipp were getting shorter and he wanted to play for a few years yet with the current crop of excellent hurlers.

Now why would he not give up back then when he had no job and emigrate and give up now when he has a job right on semples doorstep? That being said it could be down to work/family commitments, but personally I think its down to a conflict with the management. Could Eoin Kelly not being captain this year be another sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

shame to see lar corbett retired so early, perhaps there might be a re think in the coming weeks but if not he can look back on a great career. Awesome hurler to watch. He gave Tipp fans many great memories with the stand out one being his master class in the 2010 all ireland final. What a day that was & what a hurler he is.

fingers crossed we might see him don the blue n gold again

I think if the management were to change in the morning we could well see Lar back. Im sorry to say this but its clear that they havent a clue. They bring absolutely nothing to the table and are doing irrepairable damage to Tipperary hurling in what should be a promising era.

They cant motivate, they have no tactical nous, they dont communicate enough with the team and dont forget Cian O'Neill has also left this year. Lar immediately said what a big loss he would be so it is my belief that not only Lar, but the whole panel was on the same page as O'Neill but the management werent working well with him nor willing to heed his expertise.

Another step back for hurling within the county despite the fortunes being poured in and the fantastic support they receive. Just like Michael Doyle, Ken Hogan, Tom Fogarty, Babs Keating before them, this management team has taken a primitive simplistic approach toward preparing for the future opposed to the correct way of doing things like Liam Sheedy has shown us and as Brian Cody has implemented across the border back since 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

Do any of the people slagging off Declan Ryan or Tommy Dunne actually remember Liam Sheedys first 2 years in charge? They were littered with similar mistakes or inaction i.e. allowing Waterford to bully us in the first few minutes of the 08 semi final. Yet people are seeing Sheedy and Declan as polar opposites in terms of their ability. I also havent seen any of this so called bias towards club mates by Declan. Timmy Hammersley was dropped off the panel and up until the All Ireland final John O'Keefe had looked solid enough. People forget he was marking possibly the greatest hurler of all time in the final in Shefflin. As for John O'Neill he got 4 minutes against Kilkenny and 1 minute in the semi against Dublin so hardly something that affected the outcome of the games.
    I've been very encouraged with the look of the team so far this year. They definitely look much better than at the same stage last year with much more strength in depth.
    I wouldnt be surprised if we see Lar back come summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

TippGaa site says we play Cork in the quarters and if we win clare in the semi's,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

monb wrote: »
    Do any of the people slagging off Declan Ryan or Tommy Dunne actually remember Liam Sheedys first 2 years in charge? They were littered with similar mistakes or inaction i.e. allowing Waterford to bully us in the first few minutes of the 08 semi final. Yet people are seeing Sheedy and Declan as polar opposites in terms of their ability. I also havent seen any of this so called bias towards club mates by Declan. Timmy Hammersley was dropped off the panel and up until the All Ireland final John O'Keefe had looked solid enough. People forget he was marking possibly the greatest hurler of all time in the final in Shefflin. As for John O'Neill he got 4 minutes against Kilkenny and 1 minute in the semi against Dublin so hardly something that affected the outcome of the games.
    I've been very encouraged with the look of the team so far this year. They definitely look much better than at the same stage last year with much more strength in depth.
    I wouldnt be surprised if we see Lar back come summer time.

Have to agree with the above sentiments. We all hope Lar will be back with us when the summer comes around but at the moment he's stepped aside so lets move on with the lads we have who are putting in a ferocious commitment for the jersey. There's far too much speculation going on about problems within the camp and no one has any proof of it.
    Declan and the back up staff have made mistakes and will surely make more but as monb points out so did Sheedy when in charge (remember after Cork in 2010 when we wanted him replaced). Tipp hurling is in a great state at the moment as far as i'm concerned and trying to stir up controversy for headlines is the medias job, us supporters should just back the lads that are there.
    I really hope Lar comes back but this team has to be bigger than one man or we won't be winning anything anyway

• Advertisement

I agree that we arent a one man team, no team is and there is plenty of talent within this squad! Im just saying that O'Keeffe was thrown into the deep end by being up against shefflin in september. Paudie Maher would have been an excellent man marker for shefflin as he did in the 09 final, because when the teams were announced everyone knew tommy walsh was going to be reigning balls down onto O'Keeffe.

In my opinion though brendan maher was perfect to slot into wing back, he had been there and done it. O'Keeffe had earned valuable experience, but up against the cats was a different assignment. It was obvious enough when O'Keeffe was the first one called ashore that day after 29 mins. Kilkenny didnt put their debut man paul murphy on lar corbett that day, tyrell had that job.

Its a new year and there is a chance for two lads to come in and try and secure a place in the absence of callanan and the retired corbett. We will continue to give the team our full support and I have no doubt that they will want nothing more than to retain the All Ireland and I wish them the best of luck.

Advertisement