Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Good team in fairness. Collins a huge loss. The lad can play anywhere but that Cian Hogan isnt half bad. He is a big chap and will give plenty to think about to their full back.

Limerick U21 Hurling Team v Tipperary 18/7/12 Link here

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Stephen O’Reilly (Ballybrown)
    5. Robert Egan (Kilmallock) – Captain
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    7. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    8. Shane Kenny (Ballybrown)
    9. Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Niall Kennedy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    12. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    13. Mikey Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Willie Griffin (Adare)

Hannon is playing centre back for them so it will be interesting to see the battle between him and Seany Curran though id have to admit it surprises me to see a forward of his ability back there. It worried me that we played Noel there last year and Jason forde for the minors so is it a case of having no better centre backs or an abundance of quality forwards that you can afford to play him there?

Hannon is an excellent athlete though. He has the ability to play any of the six forward positions, the half back line and possibly the midfield. He's the new breed of athlete. He could have played soccer or football but stuck with the hurling. If I was John Allen I'd be worried about his inclusion in the squad, he's carrying a niggling injury in the groin that needs healing.

That squad is full of serious talent. Hannon, O' Brien, Murphy, Dowling, and Downes. Dowling, Hannon and Downs are all excellent players. Aaron Murphy could start on most inter-county squads but Quaid is there.

Tipp team will have their hands full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Beating Limerick down there will be a hard task for Tipp,hopefully we can beat them but I can't see it happening.Best of luck to them.

Hannon is an excellent athlete though. He has the ability to play any of the six forward positions, the half back line and possibly the midfield. He's the new breed of athlete. He could have played soccer or football but stuck with the hurling. If I was John Allen I'd be worried about his inclusion in the squad, he's carrying a niggling injury in the groin that needs healing.

That squad is full of serious talent. Hannon, O' Brien, Murphy, Dowling, and Downes. Dowling, Hannon and Downs are all excellent players. Aaron Murphy could start on most inter-county squads but Quaid is there.

Tipp team will have their hands full.

I can remember Murphy making unreal saves in last years Munster Under 21 epic final. 6 of that team including Pat Begley at full back (brother of Brian) and Graeme Mulcahy are thankfully over the age.

They play and open brand of hurling and what struck me about them that night is that they are quiet confident in their ability to score more than the opposition whatever the opposition may rack up.

Dont get me wrong i wouldnt be surprised in the least if Hannon excelled at centre back but thats serious talent you are taking out of the forward line. We took Noel out of our midfield/forward line last year and it would appear that when he had to revert to midfield from centre back that the half back line was weak. Now im wondering perhaps if Limerick were really tested there tomorrow night and if Sean Curran could win enough possession off Hannon then we may have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Can any of the Carrick posters (or anyone else for that matter) confirm for me whether Daryl Kavanagh, the Shamrock Rovers player used hurl for Carrick Swan and whether he is from Tipp or Waterford?

Ya hes from Tipp and hurled for the swan at underage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Can't wait for this u 21game, morale in the county is high.

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Can't wait for this u 21game, morale in the county is high.

Yeah whatever the score tonight its a great test and terrific experience for our players to hurl against the calibre of Limerick. I know one thing any Tipperary team that takes the field always wholeheartedly believe they can beat whats in front of them and this group of lads are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

From Freinds of Tipperary Footballs facebook page.
    Dear Tipperary Supporters,

Our senior footballers are playing their final "home" game this year in Semple Stadium on Saturday at 3pm.

Despite the recent improvement in fortunes for our footballers they still get little or now support from the wider GAA community within the county.

These players have given a huge amount to the blue and gold jersey not just this year, but since they were first called up to play, whether that was at underage or senior.

So far this year we have put up a credible performance against Kerry before going on to beat Offaly and Wexford in the qualifiers.

We, the Friends of Tipperary Football, are asking you the supporters of Tipperary to please come on Saturday, wear your colours, and cheer on the Tipp players.

After all they have given for their county it is the least they deserve.

Saturday, 3pm, Semple Stadium.

I would really like to support the hurlers but for me, Thurles is damned near inaccessible. Buses don't go by there and the train times are odd as hell. If there's anyone in the area and they have a bit of interest then there's very little excuse.

Oh, rewatched the Tipp/Waterford game. I was supposed to be doing thesis work but the Premier county always come first! Fantastic stuff.

Early doors, but a great start by tipp here. 10 minutes gone, 1.3 to a pint. Tipp winning..

Limerick back in it. 1-4 to 0-5 in Tipp's favour.

Tipp shooting themselves in the foot though. Eight wides already in 21 minutes.

• Advertisement

Just back. Incredible stuff! Our county has qualified for 5 Munster finals this year having already won 3 of them. I thought we could potentially be beat out the gate tonight but we lead all the way from our first score. Jason Forde is a real gem but Bubbles and Denis Maher were on fire.

In reply to Daniel Ducks post i will certainly be answering the footballers call this Saturday and witnessing their victory as well as shouting for our Intermediate hurlers in Nenagh this night next week and sure ill prob head to Ennis/Dungarvan/Walsh Park on Aug 8th as well.

UP THE PREMIER!!!

Some win tonight lads,I thought Limerick would have to much for us with all there big guns on the field,but we did it against the odds,Dennis Maher must be praised after the poor game he had the last and he had a stormer in the 2nd half tonight..great stuff boys..

tippspur wrote: »
    Some win tonight lads,I thought Limerick would have to much for us with all there big guns on the field,but we did it against the odds,Dennis Maher must be praised after the poor game he had the last and he had a stormer in the 2nd half tonight..great stuff boys..

Ive seen Maher hurl centre back in a few challenges and he was absolutely immense. That said Stapleton is class there altogether and Maher was terrific at half forward. Cian Hogan got to alot of balls first and tries hard but doesn't seem to be able to hold onto them ala Paddy Murphy.

Jason Forde is top drawer and should have started in my opinion. We could well see this kid play senior for us next year he is gifted. he is wonderful and its a travesty his last year at minor was wasted at centre back. If these lads are managed well we certainly have an unbelievable flow of talent.

So it's Clare in Ennis for the final,they gave Waterford a good hiding tonight but I think we can beat them,I hope there's no madness like the last time we played them in a final down there ;)

So it's Clare in Ennis for the final,they gave Waterford a good hiding tonight but I think we can beat them,I hope there's no madness like the last time we played them in a final down there ;)
    Remember being at that game in Ennis a few years back. The most bizarre game I was ever at. The atmosphere there was unreal, seemed like we were the only tipp people in the stadium. When the incident happened the clare people were going nuts and we were surrounded in the terrace.
    Ofcourse we continued to celebrate and nearly ended up in a mass brawl.

The booing that went on during the trophy presentation was embarrassing that night.

Would be great to beat them fair and square this time as they can be bitter enough at times. They looked very good last night though, so we will have our work cut out.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Remember being at that game in Ennis a few years back. The most bizarre game I was ever at. The atmosphere there was unreal, seemed like we were the only tipp people in the stadium. When the incident happened the clare people were going nuts and we were surrounded in the terrace.
    Ofcourse we continued to celebrate and nearly ended up in a mass brawl.

The booing that went on during the trophy presentation was embarrassing that night.

Would be great to beat them fair and square this time as they can be bitter enough at times. They looked very good last night though, so we will have our work cut out.

Fair enough Clare had a strong case to complain that night but i hope the book was thrown at some of their fans by the gardai and GAA alike. Their behaviour was disgraceful.

Ironically the umpire was actually following the rules of the game though in fairness it didnt allow Donal Tuohy much of an advantage whether he took a few inches extra outside the small rectangle so yes he was being a bit pedantic in all honesty.

That said its great to see an umpire having the courage of his convictions though i dont think he has been seen since which is unfortunate that a shower of savages drove him out of the game.

As a relative new comer to the sport, can someone explain briefly what happened the last time in a final? Seems to be some sort of incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

As a relative new comer to the sport, can someone explain briefly what happened the last time in a final? Seems to be some sort of incident?

Draw game with time almost up and the Clare GK was about to puck the ball out, as he did so, he steped outside the square and the umpire flaged for it, called in the Ref told him what had happened and that it wasn't the first time and he had already warned the keeper, Ref awards a 65' to Tipp, which was the rule at the time, it has since been changed to a throw in on the '21.

The Clare 'people' are going mental at this stage as Pa Burke steps up to take the 65' with what is the last puck of the game, cool as a cucumber the bauld Pa sends the ball sailing over the crossbar, to leave Clare still looking for their first ever title at the u-21 grade, the Clare crowd then invade the pitch for the presentation, numerous Tipp officials, fans and players were assualted and struck by objects from coins to glass bottles, even a member of the Gardai was assualted.

So basically anyone planning on heading to this final on the 8th be very carefull and travel in numbers, Cusack Park in Ennis is an intimidating enouh spot the best of times but on this night I think its going to be extra hostile, especially with Clare thinking they have an unbeatable team.

Also i believe Clare had put the ball over the bar from that puckout and thought they had won the game until Tipp were awarded the 65. Have to say though in fairness awarding a 65 for something like that was pure stupid and thank god common sense has prevailed and that has been changed to a less severe penalty.

Just one of the scenes from that night

313990.jpg

List of the upcoming fixtures anyhow from tipp gaa official site
    Inter-County Fixtures
    Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior hurlers include:-

Please note that the venue for these games are in (brackets)

August 19th v Kilkenny or Limerick (Croke Park) - 2012 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final

Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior footballers include:-

July 21st @ 3:00pm v Antrim (Semple Stadium) - 2012 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifiers Round 3

Upcoming fixtures for the rest of Tipperary's Inter-County teams include:-

July 25th @ 7:30pm v Clare (MacDonagh Park Nenagh) - 2012 Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Final
    August 8th @ 7:30pm v Clare (Cusack Park Ennis) - 2012 Bord Gais Energy Munster Under 21 Hurling Championship Final
    August 19th v Galway or Wexford (Croke Park) - 2012 All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final

EDIT: Minor footballers meant to be out in their quarter final on August Bank Holiday weekend against Mayo. Time Date and Venue yet TBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Also i believe Clare had put the ball over the bar from that puckout and thought they had won the game until Tipp were awarded the 65. Have to say though in fairness awarding a 65 for something like that was pure stupid and thank god common sense has prevailed and that has been changed to a less severe penalty.

Just one of the scenes from that night

313990.jpg

a tough man hitting a female garda, i'd say he's proud of himself.

Good win for the footballers. Peter Creedon has won more Championship games for us in one season then Johnny Evans managed to do in 4.

How Alan Maloney hasn't been on the Tipp senior team before this championship is beyond a joke. He has hit at least 3 points in every one of our games to date. Brilliant passer of the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well done the footballers, Maloney seems to be on fire(thank god), fantastic last few weeks in the county..... Hope Wednesday night the intermediate hurlers can bring home another munster title .... Hon tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Our backs were exceptional, Alan Moloney was brilliant! Great to see him there this year. He has been in and around the panel with the last few years!

Excellent win for the senior footballers today,pity Peter Creedon wasn't installed as manager sooner.

Our backs were exceptional, Alan Moloney was brilliant! Great to see him there this year. He has been in and around the panel with the last few years!

I can remember Maloney against Donegal at u21 two years ago and he was the only one who stood out in an otherwise very poor Tipperary performance that night. He sprayed the ball around for sport. Yet he couldn't buy a game off Johnny Evans. Evans can lay no claim in the future to having laid any corner stones for this team because the evidence against him continues to stack up

Excellent win for the senior footballers today,pity Peter Creedon wasn't installed as manager sooner.

In the 6 games since Peter Creedon took over Tipp haven't conceded a goal. Not even against Kerry who are the only team to have beaten us. Prior to the Longford game in the league this year we shipped 9 goals. 4 of which came against a poor Cavan side.

We have knocked 2 of the teams that beat us in that division Wexford and Antrim out of the championship.

Bear in mind we have achieved all this and we are without Barry Grogan and Brian Jones. Grogan in particular is a huge loss. Michael Quinlivan has led the line so well for a chap barely out of minor but for him and Grogan to play alongside each other with Acheson, Maloney Leahy, Austin, Ryan and even Brian Fox when he pushes up, it would be a mouthwatering prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

It's gonna be down in the next round...... What ye think lads?

It's gonna be down in the next round...... What ye think lads?
    Down were decent today in spells but I think there fitness levels are not what they should be. There a hit or miss team and can be terrific or awful on any given day. Down will be favourites but I'd give us more than a fighting chance.
    Good to see the club matches called off today. Players need to be given every possible chance.
    Has a venue been decided for this game?

• Advertisement

True. Our recent record against Down isnt that bad either. We beat them in Longford in the 2009 league final. We also drew with them in the league in Newry the following year.

Advertisement