Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Has a venue been decided for this game?

Mullingar 4pm next saturday, tiredness and fatigue would be my big worry going into this game, they looked fairly out on their feet for the last 10 mins against Antrim, that said Down only have 6 days to recover form a provincial final, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Any chance it's on tv?

Any chance it's on tv?

Nope RTE are televising Laois v Meath @3.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Having never been to Semple Stadium I'm not in a position to judge but is 2,563 spectators not an embarrassingly low turnout for what was one of the bigger games in Tipps recent senior football history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Embarrassing isn't the word. It's disgraceful. Thurles, the home of the GAA and Tipperary GAA. More Antrim fans went to it. Antrim team was applauded onto the pitch. Not a whimper when Tipperary boys came out. That said, the atmosphere was apparently brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Embarrassing isn't the word. It's disgraceful. Thurles, the home of the GAA and Tipperary GAA. More Antrim fans went to it. Antrim team was applauded onto the pitch. Not a whimper when Tipperary boys came out. That said, the atmosphere was apparently brilliant.

There must be a savage echo in there then :pac:

From the Nationalist
    Published on Monday 23 July 2012 20:01

The Tipperary intermediate hurling team to play Clare in Wednesday evening’s Munster final at MacDonagh Park Nenagh is unchanged from the team which started in the semi-final against Cork.

The team is: James Logue (Ballingarry), Gerry Walsh (Carrick Swan), Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields), Christy Coughlan (Templederry Kenyons), James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane), Eddie Connolly (Loughmore Castleiney) CAPT; Ronan Sherlock (Silvermines), Michael Gleeson (Thurles Sarsfields), Paudie White (Clonoulty Rossmore), Seán Carey (Moyle Rovers), Joe Gallagher (Kildangan), Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg), Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris) Damien O’Brien (Burgess), David Butler (Drom and Inch)

Portroe won their first North SHC title the weekend and much congrats must go to them. Sars v Loughmore for the mid this Sunday. Loughmore battered Drom/Inch in the Mid Semi replay.

From Tipp GAA: DIVISIONAL FINALS NEXT WEEKEND

The South senior hurling championship final between Mullinahone and Carrick Swan will take place at Clonmel Sportsfield at 7pm onSunday evening July 28. Also on Sunday evening the Mid senior hurling championship final between Loughmore Castleiney and Thurles Sarsfields will be played at Templemore also at 7pm.

Anyone know when the West final will be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hopefully I'll be in Clonmel for the South final on Sunday evening.

tippspur wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be in Clonmel for the South final on Sunday evening.

Good man. I may even venture in myself.

I do think though the South is a division that badly needs to improve over the next few years and i hope the young hurlers coming through example the likes of Sean Carey, Bill Maher, Jack Shelley, Seamus Kennedy, Seany Curran, Luke Mullally, John O'Dwyer, and Tom Kirwan etc, can help to turn the ship around and encourage more youngsters to hurl and make the breakthrough the next few years and thus make the South Championships competitive in turn

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the West final will be played?

The second semi-final between Eire Og Annacarthy and Cashel still hasn't been played as Eire Og have players on most County panles and are a senior Football club aswell. Clonolty are in the final.

Good man. I may even venture in myself.

I do think though the South is a division that badly needs to improve over the next few years and i hope the young hurlers coming through example the likes of Sean Carey, Bill Maher, Jack Shelley, Seamus Kennedy, Seany Curran, Luke Mullally, John O'Dwyer, and Tom Kirwan etc, can help to turn the ship around and encourage more youngsters to hurl and make the breakthrough the next few years and thus make the South Championships competitive in turn

Same could really be said for the West, if you take Clonolty from the West and Mullinahone from the South they are both extremely average divisions. Infact I see a very interesting stat from the county championship thus far teams from the North have played 10 games and won all 10, no team from another division has won a game yet.

The most amazing thing about this however is that realistically none of the 12 teams in the North really have genuine hopes of winning a county title, the whole structure of the county championship and of course the red herring of having 32 senior teams is a farce and needs to addressed immediately. 24 teams in the next few years should be attainable and tbh 16 would be plenty.

Same could really be said for the West, if you take Clonolty from the West and Mullinahone from the South they are both extremely average divisions. Infact I see a very interesting stat from the county championship thus far teams from the North have played 10 games and won all 10, no team from another division has won a game yet.

The most amazing thing about this however is that realistically none of the 12 teams in the North really have genuine hopes of winning a county title, the whole structure of the county championship and of course the red herring of having 32 senior teams is a farce and needs to addressed immediately. 24 teams in the next few years should be attainable and tbh 16 would be plenty.

Couldnt agree more. 32 is bananas and even 24 would leave a deficit in quality. Going back to your point about the West division its amazing Cashel are in a West semi when they could so easily be intermediate at this stage.

Couldnt agree more. 32 is bananas and even 24 would leave a deficit in quality. Going back to your point about the West division its amazing Cashel are in a West semi when they could so easily be intermediate at this stage.

See thats the problem Gunner, no matter how bad a team is in the West and the South to a lesser extent they still have a chance of getting to a divisional final with a favourable draw as the depth simply isnt there, and as long at that chance is there they will not revert to Intermediate where so many of them should be.

IMO, scrap the county leage and play your divisional championships at that time, completely seperate competion to the County, and all teams in a division may enter if they choose. Then you have 16 senior teams who play the county championship in 4 groups of 4, top 2 through and the 4 bottom teams play off for relegation, the relegated team is replaced the following year by the Intermediate Champions. Simples really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

20 mins left, Tipp 1-11 Clare 0-10***
    10 mins left, Tipp 1-14 Clare 0-13.***
    5 mins left. Tipp 1-14 Clare 0-14.***
    Tipp 1-18 Clare 0-17 FT,
    2012 is turning out the be memorable,a first intermediate since 2002 and 5 Munster titles now in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well done the intermediates tonight, some season so far, up next u21's best of luck it will fair hard to beat them in Ennis

Ow many munsters is that throughout the county this season?

Ow many munsters is that throughout the county this season?

4 munsters now senior intermediate minor hurling and minor football, wednesday week u21's playing, brilliant year so far

David Butler was top drawer tonight as was Glossy Gleeson í lar na pairce. Logue and the 6 backs stood tall. I felt Clare can consider themselves unlucky though. Their half back line hurled a world of ball against our half forward line and they drove sinful amount of wides. Still, job done, 4th Munster title secured as well as an appearance in an all ireland final where Kilkenny or Galway await us

UP THE PREMIER!!

• Advertisement

Great win for the Tipp Intermediates tonight,we're on some roll at the moment and long may it last.

4 munsters now senior intermediate minor hurling and minor football, wednesday week u21's playing, brilliant year so far
    Don't forget we're under 15 Munster football champions this year also,every Munster win counts.:)

tippspur wrote: »
    Don't forget we're under 15 Munster football champions this year also,every Munster win counts.:)

Pat Spillane was saying we swept the board in Munster last year in underage football. I can remember we won the (u17) Daryl Darcy back last October and won the u15 just two weeks ago.

And we have the upcoming Tony Forristal and Tipp Supporters club underage hurling tournaments coming up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Anyone heading to the games at the weekend? I normally try go to them all but a knee injury has thrown a spanner in those plans. Promises to be a great day of action.

We're in a bit of trouble 3pts to nothing to down ......

Haven't scored in 20mins .....

5pts to 1pt we have the wind second half

6pts to 3pts half time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Down showed poor fitness levels last week, hopefully that reappears second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Down showed poor fitness levels last week, hopefully that reappears second half.

That's what i'm hoping for. With the wind at their backs in this half hopefully the lads can push on and get another win

Advertisement