Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Well after the weekends action what chances do we have of beating the cats??
    I think it's a big ask, not impossible. We'll have to be on our toes, not concede an early goal or 2. I think if Lar gets a chance of going for goal he won't be as shy of taking it. Declan and company have a selection headache or 2. Will he start Eoin or hold him in reserve. Will Shane Burke start?? I know that Brendan Maher isn't in the same form as 2010 but I think he is improving. Even on present form he is streets ahead of Woodlock. Hopefully Shane McGrath can continue his good form. Also Micheal Cahill is showing a big improvement on his form from earlier in the season. As usual the performance of our half forward line is hugely important. So what are your thauths??

Best of luck to our minor footballers at the weekend in their quarter final against Mayo hopefully they can keep up their good run going. Does anyone have any news on Dylan Fitzelle, I heard that he picked up an injury in a club hurling game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think it's a big ask, not impossible. We'll have to be on our toes, not concede an early goal or 2. I think if Lar gets a chance of going for goal he won't be as shy of taking it. Declan and company have a selection headache or 2. Will he start Eoin or hold him in reserve. Will Shane Burke start?? I know that Brendan Maher isn't in the same form as 2010 but I think he is improving. Even on present form he is streets ahead of Woodlock. Hopefully Shane McGrath can continue his good form. Also Micheal Cahill is showing a big improvement on his form from earlier in the season. As usual the performance of our half forward line is hugely important. So what are your thauths??

To be honest its a huge ask of us this year IMO. We're not performing at the highest of standards that we should be. If we stay with Kilkenny in the first half we have a good chance as we finish strong and we have to remember we're undefeated so far this year, Kilkenny are not.

Very tough ask but can see Kilkenny taking it by a small margin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think we've a good chance, we're not playing as well as previous years but we're winning games and thats a good habit to have. I definitely don't think KK have looked as good this year and they have had to deal with a mountain of injuries so the team hasn't been as settled as you'd expect. I think this game will come down to goals, KK showed the ruthless streak against Limerick but i think our full back line is better than Limericks(not as naiive at least). Cahill needs to keep his form on the upward trend and hopefully O'Brien doesn't do anything stupid, he seems to pick up unnecassary bookings in every game. Paddy Stapleton is a big loss to us this year.

I guess if Pa could score another 6goals it'd help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I think we ll beat them handily enough tbh. Tipp are coming along nicely, showing improvement in every game and Kilkenny aren't. Two things stand out for me this year, Declan Ryan has really found his feet and we're not absolutely full of ourselves like we were after winning the Munster last season. There's never a good time to play the Cats but I d rather play them in the semi than the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd usually be pessimistic about our chances of beating KK but I feel a bit more confident about winning this one than I did about other games against them.But we still need to step up a gear or two if we are to win and reach the AI final.

If the forwards are dynamic and the ball going into them is spot on then I have no doubt Tipperary will win. However every ball will have to be inch perfect. There is absolutely zero margin for error. Any temptations to showboat must be cut out. The forwards will have to be willing to fight for absolutely everything going. Looking for frees and protesting to the referee is just a no go because chances are the game will be let flow to suit Kilkenny. The final referee from last year didnt know the right card to use if it hit him in the nose and it did literally in the form of Tommy Walsh's hurley

Ryan and Dunne are under huge pressure now. Last year they got tactics (if you could call them that) completely wrong. We had a square front 6 who were static. Bonnar and Johno aside, no one fought hard enough for primary possession. Its squeaky bum time now. Defeat to Kilkenny the second year in a row would be the final nail in the coffin and would leave a serious question mark over the ambitions of Tipperary at senior level going forward.

I know Eoin fairly well. A legend and a terrific servant. However i think his movement is not as dynamic in there as it used to be. I would put young Shane Bourke ahead of him as sub and somehow i cant help feeling the young man from Templemore could be the super sub on August 19th.

I had my fears for Foxy O'Brien before the Munster final but he had a great game that day and hopefully he will push on after this. Himself or Tom Stapleton will have to contend with Shefflin because Henry will be happy to test the weakest or most inexperienced link on any occasion. Id be confident that either will stand the test and Shefflin wont be given the freedom of Croker like he was given the freedom of Semple on Sunday.

I expect Brendan and Shane to give as good as they get in midfield. That could prove to be a huge battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I know Eoin fairly well. A legend and a terrific servant. However i think his movement is not as dynamic in there as it used to be. I would put young Shane Bourke ahead of him as sub and somehow i cant help feeling the young man from Templemore could be the super sub on August 19th.

I had my fears for Foxy O'Brien before the Munster final but he had a great game that day and hopefully he will push on after this. Himself or Tom Stapleton will have to contend with Shefflin because Henry will be happy to test the weakest or most inexperienced link on any occasion. Id be confident that either will stand the test and Shefflin wont be given the freedom of Croker like he was given the freedom of Semple on Sunday.

I expect Brendan and Shane to give as good as they get in midfield. That could prove to be a huge battle.

For some reason i think Shane Maher at wing back would match up against Shefflin very well, his speed has always been a weakness of his but that wouldn't be too big of a concern against Henry anymore.

Also does anyone know how Callinan is going, was really expecting him to break out this year but he hasn't got/earned his chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Lads went to buy tickets for u21 Wednesday night on tickets.ie and ticketmaster.ie and the match tickets are gone off the sites!!! Is it sold out already? Do ye know where else I can get them cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lads went to buy tickets for u21 Wednesday night on tickets.ie and ticketmaster.ie and the match tickets are gone off the sites!!! Is it sold out already? Do ye know where else I can get them cheers...

Going by the email circulate to all the clubs last week hte plan was to allocate to the clubs first based on demand and any remainder would be released for general sale, so it must be that either all the allocation has been taken by the clubs or only a few were released to the sites and are since sold out, so really your club is the only bet.

I think Ennis only has a capacity of 13 thousand and I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold out.

You would think that the GAA would have offered the season ticket holders as well as the clubs first dabs on the tickets also.

You would think that the GAA would have offered the season ticket holders as well as the clubs first dabs on the tickets also.

Its a Munster council game so season ticket has nothing to do with them and they would have no way of connecting it, and Clubs were giving preference.

Its a Munster council game so season ticket has nothing to do with them and they would have no way of connecting it, and Clubs were giving preference.

Yeah but technically so was the Munster senior hurling championship and season ticket did apply to that. IIRC Last year they were able to connect the season ticket to the all ireland u21 final (because it was in thurles) and those who wanted to go had the option of purchasing tickets. Fair enough clubs getting first preference ive no problem with that but the idea of the Season ticket though is that genuine Tipperary supporters get first refusal on sell out games. Bit silly it only applies to Senior level. We follow the county and not just at senior level.

Wasn't to be for the minor footballers today who slipped to a 19 points to 1-8 defeat. :( Hard luck lads.

Defeat might be as beneficial to these young lads in the future, most of whom who have an all ireland medal in the back pocket already. Might knock any complacency out of them and rejuvenate the hunger levels.

So its hurling or nothing.

Tipp v Clare in Munster u21 final this Wed
    Tipp v Kilkenny August 19th in Senior
    Tipp v Galway August 19th in Minor
    Tipp v KK/Galway in Intermediate final on September 1st

Well lads, tickets got for Wednesday eve travelling more in hope, Clare seem to have no injury worries not like us!!! Is curran ok?

Well lads, tickets got for Wednesday eve travelling more in hope, Clare seem to have no injury worries not like us!!! Is curran ok?

In fairness this Clare side are top drawer and its a credit to them they seem to have such a flow of talent the past 3 or 4 years.

Hadn't realised Seany picked up a knock? Seanie had an off day shooting wise against Limerick but if he hits his game he is a serious talent. Good games from Bubbles and Denis Maher are also vital. Have a feeling it will be a close game but perhaps Clares senior experience might swing it in their direction but i wouldn't rule our boys out for one second.

Seanie curran Picked up a knock in the south final all do got man of the match

Just one Change on the u21s Jason forde in for Murray

• Advertisement

Just one Change on the u21s Jason forde in for Murray

Forde is young but could be the card up our sleeve on Wednesday. I look forward to seeing him in action.

Best of luck to our U21s who take on Clare in the lions den tonight, in the Munster Hurling Final. Clare will be strong having had a good run at minor level in the last couple of years. If we can keep up our great hunger and team work we have a chance. Fingers cross that we can complete the clean sweep in munster hurling titles. Han Tipp.

Not a bad first half over all but how Cian Hogan drove that wide ill never know. That said Clare half back line mopping up and we've been let off the hook with shed loads of wides. Our half fwds really need to up the ante the second half.

Devastated :(

Clare in fairness to them were very good but what an awful shame we just couldnt close out that game. The 6 backs were outstanding but i felt the half fwd line (except Bubbles perhaps) were very quiet tonight. We were well beaten in midfield also. Still i suppose no one gave us a chance tonight and we fought to the end against a very talented Clare side. Good luck to them. i think the defeat will stand to Tipp in the future.

Some sickener at the end of that game,so near and yet so far for Tipp,I thought we done enough to hold on but we let Clare in for a soft enough goal in injury time,the players must be devastated to lose like that after putting in such a great effort into the championship.fair play to Clare,hard luck Tipp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Obviously a very disappointing result, but fair play to Clare they have produced some quality U-21 teams over the past 5 years or so. If the talent keeps coming through like that for Clare it will only be a good thing for the Munster Championship.

Hard luck to our U21s who must be gutted to have victory snatched from them :(. Clare were the better team overall. Having said that Cian Hogans' miss was a huge slice of luck for them.It would have been a massive score for us. I think that Jason Forde should have been moved out the field as he wasn't having much of an influence on the game. Anyway hard luck. Hopefully in the near future some of them can make the step up to senior level.

Hard luck to our U21s who must be gutted to have victory snatched from them :(. Clare were the better team overall. Having said that Cian Hogans' miss was a huge slice of luck for them.It would have been a massive score for us. I think that Jason Forde should have been moved out the field as he wasn't having much of an influence on the game. Anyway hard luck. Hopefully in the near future some of them can make the step up to senior level.

I thought Forde was unreal on the ball. Brilliant vision he set up the goal and i think he also set up one of Cian Hogans chances. I cant wait for him to play alongside Shane Bourke and Bonnar Maher in a couple of years. But i feel your right when you say his involvement was minimalised as our half fwds bar Bubbles were beaten to every ball and the full fwd line had to drop back to receive one. David Collins would have been worth 2-3 points last night and probably would have stuck that goal chance

I thought Forde was unreal on the ball. Brilliant vision he set up the goal and i think he also set up one of Cian Hogans chances. I cant wait for him to play alongside Shane Bourke and Bonnar Maher in a couple of years. But i feel your right when you say his involvement was minimalised as our half fwds bar Bubbles were beaten to every ball and the full fwd line had to drop back to receive one. David Collins would have been worth 2-3 points last night and probably would have stuck that goal chance

But the thing is that if David Collins, Tom Butler and Ruairi Gleeson had have been fit, Jason Forde wouldn't have been playing, himself and Cian Hogan would certainly have missed out. And probably a toss up with Butler and McCormack.

All in all a very encouraging campaign, we were away and underdogs in 3 games and came within a puck of a ball from beaten all three. Also with regard to potentail Seniors, Bubbles looks ready, Forde and McGrath will in time IMO and most critically our FB line looks very good and that is an area in the Senior panel where we lack real depth.

• Advertisement

But the thing is that if David Collins, Tom Butler and Ruairi Gleeson had have been fit, Jason Forde wouldn't have been playing, himself and Cian Hogan would certainly have missed out. And probably a toss up with Butler and McCormack.

All in all a very encouraging campaign, we were away and underdogs in 3 games and came within a puck of a ball from beaten all three. Also with regard to potentail Seniors, Bubbles looks ready, Forde and McGrath will in time IMO and most critically our FB line looks very good and that is an area in the Senior panel where we lack real depth.

Agree with everything you said but just on Jason Forde i think gave the selection real food for thought in 2012 and he was nearer to the starting line up then you think. O.K in fairness Ken is careful enough about blooding players a bit younger but i think he is too good a talent to ignore. Those players you mentioned though Gleeson and Tom Butler were very big losses. Tom in particular is a big strong young fella and Ruairi is a great man to take scores. Overall Tipp can be pleased this year. Theyve gained huge experience and left nothing on the field. There is no shame in going down to that Clare side. They are class.

Advertisement