Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

So what should be our starting 15 for Sunday? We really have so many options for the forward 6 its very hard to pick, I think 1-9 more or less picks itself right now as Paddy Stapelton surely hasn't enough hurling done to be thrown back in and both Conor O'Brien and Tomas Stapelton were very good the last day, but 10- 15 is next to impossible, personally I would like to see - L Corbett P Maher P Bourke

J O' Brien E Kelly N McGrath

That's very very harsh on Buggy but I think those 6 are are best combination, it leaves us with plenty of attacking options on the bench aswell with the likes of S Bourke, Buggy, Gar Ryan, S Callinan, J O'Neill etc.

Thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I'd start buggy and bring on Kelly as the game opens up, I think gar Ryan still injured(out for the season me thinks)

I'd start buggy and bring on Kelly as the game opens up, I think gar Ryan still injured(out for the season me thinks)

It's probably what will happen I'd imagine, but I just really feel there is one big last game in Kelly and from all accounts he has been absolutely flying it in training since dissapointing against Limerick. He's recent club form would support this.

The problem with taking this approach is I can't imagine Buggy been in anyway effective from the bench, so If he doesn't start it more or less negates he's influence.

But its a wonderfull problem to have, one we haven't had since Bab's first reign in reality and one that Cody doesn't have actually, what with Hogan's suspension he finds himself basically having to start TJ Reid, which it is quite obvious he doesn't want to. A bit like Shane Bourke he is much more effective from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Even if Gar Ryan was healthy I doubt he could break into the forward line of Maher, McGrath, Corbett, O' Brien, Buggy, Kelly, Bourke. The latter guys have good-to-great form, with the exception of Kelly (excluding the last while). I'd leave Ryan out even if he wasn't injured.

I'm wondering where Corbett will start. He was at #12 the last day and roved from anywhere from the midfield to full forwards and acted as a playmaker - but he needs to take the shots on goal and be selfish often. I wonder will Ryan put him half or full forward?

Even if Gar Ryan was healthy I doubt he could break into the forward line of Maher, McGrath, Corbett, O' Brien, Buggy, Kelly, Bourke. The latter guys have good-to-great form, with the exception of Kelly (excluding the last while). I'd leave Ryan out even if he wasn't injured.

I'm wondering where Corbett will start. He was at #12 the last day and roved from anywhere from the midfield to full forwards and acted as a playmaker - but he needs to take the shots on goal and be selfish often. I wonder will Ryan put him half or full forward?

Gar Ryan is a victim of he's own versatility really a very decent midfielder and half forward but kind of caught between two stools and as a result cover for both.

Lar will play a roaving role I feel and will spend a lot of time between the half forward line and midfield, especially after how ineffective he was in last years AI, Tommy Walsh is struggling for legs, Hogan has fitness doubts and the two midfielders are only just back from injury so who better to throw right into the middle of them than a fired up Larry!

• Advertisement

Gar Ryan is a victim of he's own versatility really a very decent midfielder and half forward but kind of caught between two stools and as a result cover for both.

Lar will play a roaving role I feel and will spend a lot of time between the half forward line and midfield, especially after how ineffective he was in last years AI, Tommy Walsh is struggling for legs, Hogan has fitness doubts and the two midfielders are only just back from injury so who better to throw right into the middle of them than a fired up Larry!

Isn't Walsh's recent form good though? People are singling him out as a key man for Kilkenny. He played very well against Limerick.

I agree, I think Lar will play that roving role but he has to pull the trigger himself - for points or goals if he has the opportunity, rather than a risky assist.

Isn't Walsh's recent form good though? People are singling him out as a key man for Kilkenny. He played very well against Limerick.

I agree, I think Lar will play that roving role but he has to pull the trigger himself - for points or goals if he has the opportunity, rather than a risky assist.

Nope Walsh is strugglig bigtime, he was beaten by every single opponent in the league, including Pa, Conor Lehane actually anilated him.

He was poor again in the first half against Limerick, the goal (Breen's one) actually came off him, he was good in the second half but Limerick were running on empty by then and it was over as a contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Anyone know if tipp are training tomorrow night??

Nope Walsh is strugglig bigtime, he was beaten by every single opponent in the league, including Pa, Conor Lehane actually anilated him.

He was poor again in the first half against Limerick, the goal (Breen's one) actually came off him, he was good in the second half but Limerick were running on empty by then and it was over as a contest.

Danny Sutcliffe went to town on him also in the league. Still though if Cummins insists on hail Marys to that half forward line then Tommy will excel again on Sunday. We just haven't a man to catch or at least be aggressive about it.

I would hope Buggy starts ahead of Eoin and i dont think Club form is a good yardstick to be measuring him on. Scoring against Ballingarry and Kilkenny are two polar opposite prospects it goes without saying.
    It would seem to me his movement is very limited and we really need movement from those 6 forwards in order to trouble Kilkenny. Buggy isnt Usain Bolt by any stretch but the little movement he has, Eoin has none by comparison and also Buggy has strength in abundance and likes to roam a bit. Whoever is on Brian Hogan should try drag him everywhere. To be honest if that full forward line dropped back just that little bit it may not be such a bad thing and try take the points. I really think this has to go score for score at least for us to progress. If lightening strikes twice then heads should roll.

The definition of madness, doing the same thing twice and expecting different results.

Them as*holes managing the season ticket f*cked up anyhow. Our seating group is all separated. The bunch of dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Them as*holes managing the season ticket f*cked up anyhow. Our seating group is all separated. The bunch of dicks.

Are you serious? That's an absolute joke! It'd be one thing if was close to selling out but its semi final day and that never sells out!

After seen on other gaa forums, loads of ppl given out about the season tickets this year, bad seats ppl split up etcetc, looks like the gaa are scoring another own goal as only they can do...... Good help the ppl when(if we're there) the all Ireland tickets come out..... Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Har0ld x9

After seen on other gaa forums, loads of ppl given out about the season tickets this year, bad seats ppl split up etcetc, looks like the gaa are scoring another own goal as only they can do...... Good help the ppl when(if we're there) the all Ireland tickets come out..... Should be fun.

Agreed, am disappointed with the tickets I have been assigned & not just for this Sunday.. They also have our attendence records incorrect and despite contacting them twice since I noticed it has not been corrected!!

Har0ld x9 wrote: »
    Agreed, am disappointed with the tickets I have been assigned & not just for this Sunday.. They also have our attendence records incorrect and despite contacting them twice since I noticed it has not been corrected!!

I refused to renew mine this year as they tried to tell me last Sept. I hadnt attended enough games to qualify for an AI ticket, despite the fact I hadn't missed a game, its a great idea and initative but is been run shambolically. There is no game of hurling now that you cant/wont get a ticket for in any case.

Also, article on the great Bonner Maher:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/tipp-hopes-are-in-safe-hands-with-bonner-3200147.html

"First a little bit of housekeeping: it's 'Bonner', not 'Bonnar'. That one of the most established nicknames in hurling should be a nod to the former Irish soccer goalkeeper and not the Cashel brothers -- the obvious source -- is all a little unconventional for a Tipperary hurler.

But then Patrick Maher has never been a conventional Tipperary hurler in the few years he has been around.

His grandfather gave him the moniker when he was still an infant and the big Donegal netminder was in his pomp.

Simple enough, really. His older uncles were ribbing hard, so the grandfather offered a compromise.

"An awful lot of people think it's the Bonnars of Cashel, the ex-Tipperary hurlers, but it's actually Packie Bonner, the goalkeeper -- that's where it came from," says Maher.

"Packie would have been in the goals for Ireland. That would have been a big deal. I'd be out playing on the lawn, I had light enough oul hair on me and I used to get a lot of slagging off my older uncles.

"The grandad said to stop calling me names and just call me 'Bonner'. It stuck, and I have it ever since.

"Everyone calls me it. They ask me is it all right to call me 'Bonner'. Sure it doesn't bother me, I have been called worse."

As a hurler it's hard to describe what he does. The comparisons aren't obvious. John Power always had a simple philosophy on his contribution to the Kilkenny team in the early part of the 1990s. "Give it to DJ and he'll hang 'em," was Power's mantra.

The parallel with Power has never been made, 'Bonner' admits, but the philosophy now -- 20 years on -- is much the same. Lar Corbett's third goal in the 2010 All-Ireland final remains the best example of what Maher is about.

As the ball dropped between him, Corbett and three Kilkenny defenders -- 13 metres out -- Corbett looped away from the landing area where his colleague had caught the ball falling backwards. On his knees, he got the pass away and Corbett's finish was, of course, clinical.

"In Tipperary, we are lucky to have so many great forwards that are great finishers. What I'm good at is winning the dirty ball. On any given day we have five top-class finishers, I'm just the sixth link in the chain of the forward line -- the lad that grafts and gives the ball to them."

Few hurlers take such a direct route when running at an opposing defence. It can be an electrifying sight for a Tipperary crowd and, crucially, for the team last May, when his surging run drew in the Limerick defence to create the space for Brian O'Meara's all-important goal to give them the lead for the first time in a tight, tense match.

"When you are a hurler, you want to establish your own brand, your own style," he says, dismissing the dangers to his health when he hurtles headlong into enemy territory.

"Every sport you play, there is always a risk of injury; I just like running direct, I don't like going out to the corner flag. The most direct route is the best way to go.

"I'm happy to give them the ball. I would do anything to wear a Tipperary jersey on my back. If it meant I had to do anything, I'd do it.

"I always played that brand of hurling with my club. I was lucky that it was what Tipperary were looking for at this time."

But for all the fearless vigour attached to his game, it is two of hurling's most intelligent centre-forwards that he looked up to in his youth.

One was current Tipperary manager Declan Ryan, the other a choice from just across the border in Offaly.

His club Lorrha and Dorrha -- which gave Ken Hogan and Tony Reddan to Tipp hurling -- is as far north as you can go in Tipperary, tucked in between Galway and Offaly. He went to secondary school in Banagher, played for Offaly Vocational Schools, so his influences are quite diverse.

"When I was younger, I would have looked at John Troy of Offaly, a great playmaker, a serious head for the game. I would have looked at Declan too. He was a great workhorse -- but a great finisher too. I feel as time goes on, my finishing will develop even more," he says.

His season was slow to get going after a knee injury picked up in a Waterford Crystal pre-season match against Cork.

"I hurt the highline cartilage in my knee. I was out for six weeks or more. I just had to rest. There was no operation. That's all you can do," he says.

"It's actually the cartilage that lines your bone. I hyper-extended my leg at the knee joint. Usually, what happens is the cruciate snaps but, lucky enough, my cruciate stayed intact, the two bones hit off each other and that's what caused the little bit of cartilage to lift.

Awful

"It could have been an awful lot worse than it was."

His time away left him hungry and when he finally hit the pitch against Limerick in that Munster quarter-final at the end of May, he was energised and his impact was infectious.

He feels the team are improving steadily and really back themselves now in tight finishes -- as two of their three Munster championship matches have produced.

"That was one of the things we were criticised for in the last three or four years, that when it got to a tight game we weren't able to finish it. In 2010, we got to a tight game against Galway and won it, and won an All-Ireland final. It's a good habit to get out of those tight games. It will stand to us as the season goes on."

It's hard to reconcile that he only made his championship debut against Wexford in an All-Ireland qualifier a little more than two years ago in the wake of that 10-point defeat to Cork.

But that's the power of a good nickname that sticks. A term of endearment that lends the impression that you have been around forever.

- Colm Keys"

I have also read that a Tipperary player's brother died suddenly. Best not to name. RIP.

I refused to renew mine this year as they tried to tell me last Sept. I hadnt attended enough games to qualify for an AI ticket, despite the fact I hadn't missed a game, its a great idea and initative but is been run shambolically. There is no game of hurling now that you cant/wont get a ticket for in any case.

:eek:

Thats fu*kin disgusting tbh

Lads did ye here about John o'briens brother? Our blessings are with the o'brien family ....

Lads did ye here about John o'briens brother? Our blessings are with the o'brien family ....

Cant find any confirmation of it anywhere. Best to hold off until we hear some more. Very tragic if true it goes without saying

Yeah I know, was on another gaa site and there's loads of messages on it.... I hate jumping the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah I know, was on another gaa site and there's loads of messages on it.... I hate jumping the gun

Sadly its true, and it was confirmed in today's Irish examiner at the end of the Noel McGrath interview/article. Taken from the article:

"Tipp full-forward John O’Brien’s participation may be in doubt following the sudden death yesterday of his brother Thomas.

The removal will take place this evening at 8pm from Ryan’s Funeral Home, Nenagh, to arrive at St. Joseph’s Church Toomevara at 8.30pm. Requiem mass tomorrow at 11am, funeral afterwards to Gortagarry churchyard.
    "

Condolences to the family, and to his friends. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very shocking and upsetting news, hopefully the team will rally together and use this as even more motivation to win on Sunday.

Thoughts go out to the O'Brien family at this time.

Unchanged team for Sunday.

Cummins

O'Brien, Curran, Cahill

Stapleton, O'Mahony, P Maher

B Maher, S McGrath

P Bourke, Bonner, Corbett

Buggy, O'Brien, McGrath.

---

Fair play to O' Brien for playing. Serious commitment. All in all, I'm happy enough. Still have the attackers on the bench: Kelly, Callanan, Bourke et al.

Team looks good ..... Hopefully we'll do it on sun ..... And hopefully it's bloody dry not like Munster final day, see ye all there lads.

Team looks good ..... Hopefully we'll do it on sun ..... And hopefully it's bloody dry not like Munster final day, see ye all there lads.

Looking forward to the game! Can't wait to get to croke park there's something special about Kilkenny Tipp matches, bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I'd expect the stadium to be only half full on sunday which won't do anything for the atmosphere.

I'd be amazed if O'Brien starts, how could he possibility be in the right frame of mind for an all Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best of luck to Tipp and John 0 Brien for the game on Sunday,nerves are starting to set in early now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I'd expect the stadium to be only half full on sunday which won't do anything for the atmosphere.

I'd be amazed if O'Brien starts, how could he possibility be in the right frame of mind for an all Ireland semi final.
    Some people grieve differently i suppose.. If it help's John then more power to him. Hon Tipperary!!

GerB40 wrote: »
    Some people grieve differently i suppose.. If it help's John then more power to him. Hon Tipperary!!

Totally agree, if he does end up playing it's prob to honor his brother's memory, who is also a big GAA man. Fitting tribute.

So fair play to him I wish him and the team all the best for Sunday.

I see there selling upper cusack tickets now, ticket sales most be going good!! Still think 45thousand about.... As long as we win I wouldn't care if there was only five people at it ..... Hon tipp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Has the minor team for sunday been named yet?

Advertisement