Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

I see there selling upper cusack tickets now, ticket sales most be going good!! Still think 45thousand about.... As long as we win I wouldn't care if there was only five people at it ..... Hon tipp

i can remember being up in the upper tier of the hogan back in 2002 for the Tipp/KK semi. Stadium was empty in a good parts that day but the crowd iirc definately passed the 50k perhaps even the 60k mark. Id love to get an official figure

It was the first meeting of the sides in championship since the 91 final and i suppose people had the few bob in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

i can remember being up in the upper tier of the hogan back in 2002 for the Tipp/KK semi. Stadium was empty in a good parts that day but the crowd iirc definately passed the 50k perhaps even the 60k mark. Id love to get an official figure

It was the first meeting of the sides in championship since the 91 final and i suppose people had the few bob in the pocket.

The attendance was 53,385 in 2002 that's from Wikipedia, it should pass that sun, Heading up sat night to the "BIGSMOKE" have my deep pocket jeans on .... And the hangsandwiches ready for sun ;) ..... Oh let the fun begin.....

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Are you serious? That's an absolute joke! It'd be one thing if was close to selling out but its semi final day and that never sells out!

Sorted since thank god. When you cant get anything done in ireland (which unfortunately is more often the case than not) then the moral of the story is to complain and threaten to go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Got meself one of those 10 Euro tickets for the Davin stand,happy enough with that,keeps the expenses for the day down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ormond lad wrote: »
    Has the minor team for sunday been named yet?
    teams been named
    http://tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/
    1. Paul Maher (Moyne Templetuohy)
    2. Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    3. Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4. Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    5. Tom Fox (Eire Og Annacarty Donohill)
    6. Thomas Hamill (Killea)
    7. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Eire Og)
    8. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash) Captain
    9. John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    10. Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    11. Jack Shelly (Mullinahone)
    12. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    13. Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    14. Kevin Slattery (Gortnahoe Glengoole)
    15. Mark McCarthy (Toomevara)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nerves are building. Won't be able to stand losing to Kilkenny (that disaster of an AI last year) so if we do, I'm heading for Dublin Airport and out of the country!

Nerves are building. Won't be able to stand losing to Kilkenny (that disaster of an AI last year) so if we do, I'm heading for Dublin Airport and out of the country!

I think we will win. If we do lose then we have to just accept that this team arent going to hit the great heights we expected, however i think we will win this game if we are sharp and hungry enough. We need players to stand up and be counted big time. We have Cummins, Johno, Eoin Lar, and possibly Curran who may well pull on the blue and gold for the last time tomorrow. Its now or never for them. Likewise for our neighbours there is a few that may well throw on the black and amber for the last time but i think we will have a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

I think if we're there or thereabouts at half-time in scores and performance we'll push on for the win..looking forward to it now..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So when can we get Sheedy back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

So when can we get Sheedy back?

He's in the boot of my car. I m going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

so much for momentum and 'building nicely'.
    cant remember us getting this bad a mauling before. hard to see declan being back next season.the 'tactic' with lar running after tommy walsh will be my memory from this debacle:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Rubbish, We've been very lucky in a few games this year, keeping in with Cork in a few games, the Limerick game, we were finally found out today,

Shocking tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Eoin Kelly always had heart even when the legs were gone and was too proud to ever give up especially against Kilkenny.This was a complete disgrace and nothing short of it.One thing you do is not give up even when you meet a better opponent,they should all have gone home at halftime and forfeited the game rather than coming out and doing that. Fairplay to O'Neill at least he looked like the jersey meant something on his back.No disgrace getting beaten anytime but 20mins of standing on admiring Kilkenny is a new low.

Im absolutely disgusted with that today. Absolutely disgusted. The physical stuff i didnt really mind because its about time that crowd got some back but the "tactics" were baffling.
    All the training put in this year absolutely wasted. Is hurling in such a state in Tipperary that when Liam Sheedy, Eamon O'Shea and Michael Ryan left the setup we seemed to have a shortage of decent candidates for the job? We are producing a decent flow of minor and u21 teams and it seems to be going to waste because of the backward approach taken by this management team who are out of their depth.
    I'm really boiling right now. Had great hopes for this team in 2010 but it seems alot of them were overhyped and went on to greatly believe their own hype.

digzy wrote: »
    so much for momentum and 'building nicely'.
    cant remember us getting this bad a mauling before. hard to see declan being back next season.the 'tactic' with lar running after tommy walsh will be my memory from this debacle:rolleyes:

That episode of Fr Ted springs to mind, "Call me old fashioned but i prefer the greyhounds pursing rabbits approach"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disgraceful 2nd half performance, Ryan out.

Just home now, where do you go from that!!! I'm still in shock it was like men against boys out there, the tactics(if that's what ya call them) were just so wrong ..... It'll take me a week to get my head round this.....

tippspur wrote: »
    Disgraceful 2nd half performance, Ryan out.

My friend was in the lower Hogan and said the management team didnt confer with each other or didnt react. Several players gave the game shouting at the line. A total and utter disaster of epic proportions

Longtime viewer of this thread, never posted here.
    Would have wished it was on a better day.

Was at the match, The lack of cohesion was terrible.

There was some childish off the ball antics going on which was really hard to look at!

Whilst Kilkenny were the better team (and hats of to them), Tipp were brutal and failed to play hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greyhound365

just joined there myself, been following the thread all year
    a debacle is the only word for what happened..even the 'dark ages' with babs and the likes, never did we get such a mauling
    disappointed doesn't begin to describe it

• Advertisement

The management team were found out big time today, it's after setting us back years, all them hail Mary balls into the forwards time after time and been cleaned out each time ..... We had no answer to the Kilkenny machine..... I won't be getting a season ticket next year I'm just so down heartened at the moment, whats gonna happen in the coming weeks and months!!!

The management team were found out big time today, it's after setting us back years, all them hail Mary balls into the forwards time after time and been cleaned out each time ..... We had no answer to the Kilkenny machine..... I won't be getting a season ticket next year I'm just so down heartened at the moment, whats gonna happen in the coming weeks and months!!!
    agreed, what makes it all the more worse, is the fact that declan and tommy were two of the greatest servants to tipp hurling, and now to have this shambles to their name is extremely disheartening...changes need to be made no question though

We could well see a few retirements. Curran, Cummins, Johno, Eoin and Lar could have played for the last time for Tipperary today. It would be a sad way for their intercounty careers to end but there you go. Very sad for Decky and Tommy if they go on to be remembered more for this reign then their prestigious playing careers. The county board need to sit down and restructure Tipperary hurling from top to bottom. If they need to go outside the county then so be it if the candidate is the right man to bring Tipp forward.

We could well see a few retirements. Curran, Cummins, Johno, Eoin and Lar could have played for the last time for Tipperary today. It would be a sad way for their intercounty careers to end but there you go. Very sad for Decky and Tommy if they go on to be remembered more for this reign then their prestigious playing careers. The county board need to sit down and restructure Tipperary hurling from top to bottom. If they need to go outside the county then so be it if the candidate is the right man to bring Tipp forward.

agreed again, very good point..it's sad to think this could be their last game for us, but there's plenty of that u-21 team that had more of a stake in that panel than a few of the lads drafted in under the current management...baffled at the introduction of john o neill today when a lad like seamie callanan is looking at ya on the bench..granted it was late in the game, but these incidents weren't isolated over the year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

shambolic second half, the corbett/walsh tactic :eek: will live long in my memory, it defies belief as to what the management were thinking, Declan Ryan was one of tipp's greatest ever servants as was tommy dunne but its beyond clear now that its time to move on.

Management change needs to happen quickly as possible. I hope we dont see to many retirements, in particular i think lar and eoin are essential to us having any sort of impact next year.

There is still the nucleus of a great side here, they just need to be led properly, if you look back on this year we were lucky that limerick didnt take us the first day out in semple. All the infighting etc left us with no cohesion , i think the unity you need in a squad was lacking, change things immediately and rebuild.

It's critical to do this as someone will need to motivate the younger lads , no matter how disheartening it is for us as fans those players will be devasted after this.

agreed again, very good point..it's sad to think this could be their last game for us, but there's plenty of that u-21 team that had more of a stake in that panel than a few of the lads drafted in under the current management...baffled at the introduction of john o neill today when a lad like seamie callanan is looking at ya on the bench..granted it was late in the game, but these incidents weren't isolated over the year..

I had heard that Seamie had somewhat of a 'dispute' with a relative of one of the management and hasnt seen a minute since. He can be very windy too but we probably should have made a few subs after goal number 2 went in. We made a spectacular balls up today. As the saying goes the definition of insanity is to repeat the same things and expect different results. We made the same sloppy errors as last September. Great big gaps you could land a plane in. I wonder did Ryan even look at a DVD of Kilkenny since he took the job. Cody had us analysed like a scientist.

Starokan wrote: »
    shambolic second half, the corbett/walsh tactic :eek: will live long in my memory, it defies belief as to what the management were thinking, Declan Ryan was one of tipp's greatest ever servants as was tommy dunne but its beyond clear now that its time to move on.

Management change needs to happen quickly as possible. I hope we dont see to many retirements, in particular i think lar and eoin are essential to us having any sort of impact next year.

There is still the nucleus of a great side here, they just need to be led properly, if you look back on this year we were lucky that limerick didnt take us the first day out in semple. All the infighting etc left us with no cohesion , i think the unity you need in a squad was lacking, change things immediately and rebuild.

It's critical to do this as someone will need to motivate the younger lads , no matter how disheartening it is for us as fans those players will be devasted after this.

If Eoin was used right he would have been but instead he was mullocking 6 nights a week in training and playing pointless Waterford crystal games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

If Eoin was used right he would have been but instead he was mullocking 6 nights a week in training and playing pointless Waterford crystal games.

couldn't agree more

Shane Stapleton let rip and he is spot on on everything.

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Splitting-the-Posts-Tipping-point-for-Ryan.aspx
    19:45, 19 Aug 2012 eircom Exclusive
    Shane Stapleton at Croke Park

A penny for Liam Sheedy's thoughts and why The Cats' semi-final win was as much about Kilkenny brilliance as Tipperary absurdity...

So many words to describe what can only be referred to as ‘it’. Embarrassing, inept, incredulous, insane — Tipperary’s shambolic performance was a continuation of what has been a major regression under Declan Ryan.

Of course the man has put his heart and soul into the job, there’s no questioning that, but the tactical acumen to succeed against the best evidently is not there. The players have to take their share of the blame; as much as they do in success, so too they must accept their share in ruin.

There is plenty to go around because make no mistake, this 4-24 to 1-15 defeat is ruinous. What Liam built in search of Liam is now but a memory. Sheedy is instead landing titles with Portroe now, a parish that never touched its like before until they beat Toomevara in the north Tipp final.

A penny for Liam Sheedy’s thoughts — his real thoughts, not those neutered by a media-friendly façade (as is the norm for all ex-this and thats, not just him) — on what has happened to his dynasty in waiting. Does he agonise over seeing the vehicle he assembled with great care rolling down the side of a mountain?

Because 23 months ago, they were the Ferrari, Porsche and Bugati Veyron of hurling. Even 12 months ago, most pundits wondered would anyone stop Tipperary for years to come. On Sunday, the wonder was how they can recover. They can but it will take some doing.

Look at the case for the prosecution. Your best forward is Lar Corbett and he becomes a sideshow, part of a merry-go-round featuring Tommy Walsh, Pa Bourke and Jackie Tyrrell. All well and good if the circus ends with a decent show but these guys stood stranded on the carousel. Getting dizzy, going nowhere.

Corbett set up a point for Shane McGrath in the fifth minute, came out late for the second half because he was apparently changing his shirt, got a yellow card on 42 minutes, and set up John O’Neill’s missed goal chance on 64. In between that, he ran a marathon worthy of New York, London, Chicago, Dublin or, most precisely, worthy of Flora. What was the point of it all?

Brian Cody had decided on his match-ups and as a forward and opposing manager, you simply have to accept it. Swallow the pill hard and try to beat your man, don’t run away and ask for a different medicine. Just because you don’t like the orange-coloured Calpol Six-Plus, that doesn’t mean you can go back to the purple Calpol. It was the definition of a sideshow, most exactly because the game bypassed this childish insanity. The Lar bomb deactivated, and Pa Bourke grounded into the bargain — self-detonation, for sure.

As for the game, Kilkenny ran away because they competed better and for longer. Whereas they won the 50-50s and contested ball battle 31 to 28 in the first half, it was a landslide 44 to 20 in this sector after the break. The Cats won 12 of the first 15 just after the break and, just as against Limerick in the last round, it provided a platform for what was to come. The landslide, followed by the victory.

We can write songs, psalms and odes to Brian Cody about his valour and how his teams manifest this through him, with him, in him… and, oh holy God for everyone else. But they have been written before and even if not everyone likes him — inside or outside the county — his influence continues to pervade. Whereas on Sunday morning there were questions (Is the panel good enough? Are they on the wane?), they have been responded to but it’s unclear if they have been answered fully because of how ludicrous the challenge was.

That’s not to detract from Kilkenny, they were marvellous, and they honed in on every weakness. It’s just that there were so many to exploit in Tipperary, gaping wounds to make Michael Rice’s gashed hand seem but a nick.

Why, oh why, was Corbett trying to keep Pa Bourke’s man scoreless? Even if, fair enough, he kept Jackie Tyrrell scoreless too — that’s our ludicrous summation of an absurd event. Not forgetting that Corbett hasn't scored for Tipp since returning to the panel. Explain to us please, Declan Ryan, why your best line-breaker, Patrick ‘Bonner’ Maher was almost exclusively used in the full-forward line rather than half-forward where he has been excellent; in fact, a Noel McGrath pointed effort ricocheted off the post on 38 minutes and surely you want your best stickman, Corbett, there to pounce rather than arguably your worst. Moving on, why did no player take on his man? How can you take to the field with no Plan B and a barely passable Plan A?

Plan A didn’t work in 2011 and it sure as hell wasn’t going to work this time either. Kilkenny should have been ahead by six points or more by half-time but for a fine Brendan Cummins save and wastefulness by the Cats. Cummins, who will go down a legend no matter what, has had a few near mishaps in recent times — last year’s final when a long ball was rescued on the line by Paul Curran, a drop against Cork where a soft free was blown — and Aidan Fogarty’s goal happened to be the biggest moment of the game.

Whereas TJ Reid’s major in the first half did not precipitate a game-breaking blitz, this came amid one: a 3-8 to 0-1 run from minutes 42 to 63. For old time’s sake, Henry Shefflin’s precision break on goal and expert handpass assisted Reid on 27 minutes; number two came after the Ballyhale King snapped one over Conor O’Brien and fed Taggy, whose effort was eminently stoppable. The rest was typical, marvellous Kilkenny — boot on the throat until their own heel wore down.

Again, we’ll talk about match-ups because while Kilkenny got theirs right — even if tactical absurdity eventually ensured as much — Tipperary did not and they forgot what worked before. Taggy Fogarty scored a total of 0-1 in his last two All-Ireland final starts against Paddy Stapleton — free from injury since before the Munster final — and yet this was ignored. The fact that Taggy was taken off in both games, disappointed, was somehow missed. Contrast this with how Cody saw Tyrrell nullify Corbett before, and he has now seen it again. Identifying horses for courses, and an ability to learn from mistakes, not to mention correct calls, from the past was the difference.

Tipp did not, Declan Ryan did not and, as much as he is hurting after putting his life into this job, he has shown that he is not for this course.

They say you go backwards by standing still — in that respect, Tipperary are gathering pace.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @eircomSportsHub
    Chat to Shane Stapleton on Twitter @shanesaint
    Feel free to comment below

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

lockie1983 wrote: »
    As long as Declan Ryan is manager I have to agree with you the Munster title is the best Tipp can hope for this year too.

For me the fear of a hammering from KK was always looming under Declan Ryan's management. His lack of leadership during last years final was enough to put me off the man and as pointed out already on this thread we were very lucky in a lot of our previous games and we just got found out yesterday.

Where Tipp hurling goes from here is a mystery and with Clare,Galway and other counties strengthening we could be looking at another long spell of no all-ireland's ala 2002-2009.

Have to say as well the abuse Lar Corbett is getting on his facebook page is uncalled for, the man owes us nothing after over a decade of great service for us as a Tipp senior player. These lads train themselves into the ground on their own spare time for an amateur sport, ironically the lads who were abusing him where prob the same ones calling for him to return to the panel back in May.

Advertisement