Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I love the way Seamie Callinan has suddenly become a superstar now that we were beaten, there was no-one complaining about he's exclusion here last week or before any game this year, Liam Sheedy never trusted him either and infact the county minor management didnt select him when he was a minor.

Not correct. I've talked about him in conversation with others. Just because it isn't on Boards doesn't make it gospel.

I love the way Seamie Callinan has suddenly become a superstar now that we were beaten, there was no-one complaining about he's exclusion here last week or before any game this year, Liam Sheedy never trusted him either and infact the county minor management didnt select him when he was a minor.

Id agree with that. I do think he should have been thrown on Sunday and i believe he is best when he is left stewing as he proved in 2010 but quite frankly you couldnt trust the lad as far as you could throw him. He is very very windy. Unquestionable talent but when you have to light a fire under a player before he pulls on the blue and gold in order to get the best out of him you'd have to wonder
    Assuming that the first three choices, Sheedy, English or O'Shea will all turn it down for various reasons I would like to see someone like Richard Stakelum given a chance, say with a couple of young faces like Eamon Corcoran/Declan Fanning/Willie Maher or people like that, Richie has done trojan work in Dublin and is very highly thought of there, but if we dont act fast he may not be available either as if Daly steps down I imagine he will be their first port of call.

Richie has unquestionable pedigree no doubt though the last time the job was up for grabs he ruled himself out due to his employment commitments and the fact he lives in Dublin and in that regard Nicky English is in the same boat. Now things may have changed since and the job may suddenly become that little bit less daunting to go into.

Either way the bigger issue at the end of the day is for the county board to plan to bring through the next generation of coaches within the county. Anyone who is interested in becoming a future Tipperary manager should be encouraged to take up coaching courses and the county board should assist them in any way possible.

This is going to be fairly odd but it's been bugging me for a while. How come Michael Cahill was wearing a red helmet? He's known for the white helmet. Found that strange, making the switch. I'd be superstitious and stick to the colour that served me. I think the red helmet made us lose the game. :)

This is going to be fairly odd but it's been bugging me for a while. How come Michael Cahill was wearing a red helmet? He's known for the white helmet. Found that strange, making the switch. I'd be superstitious and stick to the colour that served me. I think the red helmet made us lose the game. :)

Reasons why KK beat us by 18 points

Bizarre tactic of Lar marking Tommy
    Bonnar tucked in at corner forward where he wasnt involved
    Failure to win crucial primary possession on the 40
    Failing to cope with Kilkenny's runners
    Failure to change on the line
    Failure to win dirty ball
    Mickey Cahills red helmet

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

OAOB wrote: »
    Post #670, i asked about him and how he was going:D

In fairness there was a good few people talking about how well he was going at the start of the championship, as it progressed and he wasn't seen getting a run i presumed his form dipped

I'm from the North so I have only seen Drom play once this year against Loughmore in the replay and he was woefull, never got a puck against a full backline that went on to concede 7-19 in the mid final, from reading match reports in the Tipp Star and the Examiner he didn't exactly set the world on fire either, bags of ability but no heart or fight, put it this way Cody wouldn't let him carry the hurls never mind onto the panel.
    Not correct. I've talked about him in conversation with others. Just because it isn't on Boards doesn't make it gospel.

Well I did say it hadn't been mentioned here.

• Advertisement

Just a bitta light humour Tipp_Gunner, God knows we need it!

Back on topic, looking at the list of why we lost. The decision to move Bonner into full forward has me baffled and isn't receiving attention with 'Largate'. Why do you take possibly our best player and a half forward and put him into full where everyone knows he wouldn't be as effective? It didn't work. I think it's frustrating another reason why we lost.

Just a bitta light humour Tipp_Gunner, God knows we need it!

Back on topic, looking at the list of why we lost. The decision to move Bonner into full forward has me baffled and isn't receiving attention with 'Largate'. Why do you take possibly our best player and a half forward and put him into full where everyone knows he wouldn't be as effective? It didn't work. I think it's frustrating another reason why we lost.

Yeah it was shocking, the man despite all he's qualities wouldn't score in a brothel and we plant him in FF, he should have been out on Tommy.

Is he that bad of a goalscorer? We don't see much opportunities. He always looks for the better position and player.

In the last AI Walsh bottled him up in the first half but Maher got the better of him in the second. Although I haven't watched that game since but that's what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Callinan was a class above in the challenge game v clare and also has excelled for his club this year, It's hard to see why he isn't being given a chance.

Callinane isn't good enough for the top level of inter-county. He goes missing too often, doesn't work hard enough and relies totally on the work of others to get the ball to him.

That's grand if your playing in the early rounds of the league, in tippy-tappy games against Cork or as you say in challenge matches against Clare but not at the level Tipp faced on Sunday. O'Meara, O'Brien and Bonnar are better and more useful to Tipp than him. I'd have Kelly, Lar, McGrath and Bourke ahead of him as well.

When Tommy got that first booking was the time to react. If Bonnar could have got the right ball and run at him then Tommy would have to be careful how he went about stopping him. Another thing i could add to that list is taking Buggy O'Meara off. Stupid absolutely stupid. If any one of our six forwards took the game to Kilkenny at all it was Buggy and anything he didnt get the paw to he broke.

Clueless clueless management team.

• Advertisement

Christ my opinion of Callanan is completely reversed now lads :P

Actually on the topic of Buggy, a friend was talking to a few lads from Cloughjordan and they maintained that Buggy isn't even a decent club hurler which is excessively harsh on the lad.

Is he that bad of a goalscorer? We don't see much opportunities. He always looks for the better position and player.

He's worse :p I remember he was played FF in a minor AI, and he won so much ball that the Galway FB had to be taking off after 20 mins, desoite this Bonner hadn't and didn't score. He hit the keeper, the side net, the ground everything bar a goal or a point.

Christ my opinion of Callanan is completely reversed now lads :P

Actually on the topic of Buggy, a friend was talking to a few lads from Cloughjordan and they maintained that Buggy isn't even a decent club hurler which is excessively harsh on the lad.

Been carrying Kilruane forwards for a while now since Mark O'Leary's retirement, maybe it has something to do with teh fact he is a blow in, strange people over there.

randd1 wrote: »
    Callinane isn't good enough for the top level of inter-county. He goes missing too often, doesn't work hard enough and relies totally on the work of others to get the ball to him.

That's grand if your playing in the early rounds of the league, in tippy-tappy games against Cork or as you say in challenge matches against Clare but not at the level Tipp faced on Sunday. O'Meara, O'Brien and Bonnar are better and more useful to Tipp than him. I'd have Kelly, Lar, McGrath and Bourke ahead of him as well.

Both Callinan and Noel are no longer luxuries we can afford. Guilty of not working hard enough. Richie Power, Taggy, etc will work their socks off because their arse would be hauled off straight away if they didnt.

Our boys have to be handled with kid gloves which is the main difference between Tipp and Kilkenny.

But i will say that when Callinan had a big impact as a sub in the 2010 final that he knew he was fighting for his intercounty future. Sheedy had lost his patience and had his tenure continued, Seamus Callinan would have had to fight tooth and nail to get back a place. Instead its back to square one and Noel is gone the same way. Their battle is more mental then what they are physically capable of. Some of these kids have a few Celtic crosses in their arse pocket (if you include minor and u21) and fact is, they think they are the sh*t.

Going forward Tipp need a Cody or a Jim McGuinness type who are not afraid to make the big calls and send the ego boys packing. No player is bigger than Tipperary hurling and the current crop would do well to remember that.

I will say though that one thing i admired about our u21s this year was the willingness of the group to go out and fight for each other.

And another thing, not one current Kilkenny hurler if even a past hurler on twitter, not one.

If one of our lads makes himself a sandwich the world and his wife have to know about it. Nothing against social media but these players should be drilled and advised on it.

Been carrying Kilruane forwards for a while now since Mark O'Leary's retirement, maybe it has something to do with teh fact he is a blow in, strange people over there.

Thats right Buggy and his brother transferred from another smaller club of north i believe? If they dont want him up in Kilruane, we'll find a home down south for him :).

What about Fez Hennessy? I had heard during the weekend he went to the States for the summer?

Thats right Buggy and his brother transferred from another smaller club of north i believe? If they dont want him up in Kilruane, we'll find a home down south for him :).

What about Fez Hennessy? I had heard during the weekend he went to the States for the summer?

Yeah the O'Meara's are originally from Knockshegowna, a small Junior Club, were Intermediate up untill recently.

Fez is gone to the states for a few months alright, is working in a bar in New york with a mate of mine, will be a big addition I think if he gets back to full fitness.

Yeah the O'Meara's are originally from Knockshegowna, a small Junior Club, were Intermediate up untill recently.

Fez is gone to the states for a few months alright, is working in a bar in New york with a mate of mine, will be a big addition I think if he gets back to full fitness.

Absolutely and thats one of the positives id be looking at in the future. Plenty of competition for the current panel in the future. Rumour has it that Eoin will be back in the fold next year also. If the new manager comes in and maybe only plays Eoin and steps up his training from March on then we could see a fresher and more lively Kelly as he heads into the autumn of his career.

Next year Bubbles, Liam McGrath, Denis Maher, David Collins and perhaps even Jason Forde could be drafted in while the form of David Butler, Johnny Ryan, Adrian Ryan, Sean Curran, Mikey Heffernan and Sean Carey will be worth keeping an eye on.

Down the line Thomas Hamill, Dylan Fitzelle, Barry Heffernan, Mark McCarthy, John McGrath, Jack Shelley, Ronan Maher, and perhaps a few more of that minor team will challenge for places on the senior.

Loads to be positive about. Just a matter of creating a culture of shrewd management within the county

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

First time on here since the match but interesting reading over the last few pages!

I think its important to note that Declan is going to go down in the books as one of our more successful managers. 2yrs and two Munster championships. Hard to argue with it and something we would have lauded him for only 10yrs ago.

This Kilkenny machine has without doubt attained legend status. It pains me to say it but you have to admit they are a thing of beauty. But no matter how well oiled a machine is there are always days when it breaks down. Thats why Tipp, cork and galway have had their days in the sun. But when that machine functions correctly like it did last sunday we never had a chance.

Im not saying we didnt do things to aid our own downfall and tactically I agree we were found wanting. But it would have taken something special from us to stop them on sunday. After 2009 Sheedy and Co focused so much attention on Kilkenny and they planned every detail on how to defeat them. To his credit it worked and alot of credit has to be given to that management team for the 2010 success.

But looking back it was only a minor blip for kilkenny. Which is what I think the Leinster final was this year. Only in this case they wont have to wait 12mths to rectify it. Id love to be eating my words in a few weeks time but in all honestly and cant see Galway repeating their feat.

When they are calling people for interviews for the Tipp job there is only going to be one question asked and they better have a good answer prepared. How do we beat Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

deejer wrote: »
    When they are calling people for interviews for the Tipp job there is only going to be one question asked and they better have a good answer prepared. How do we beat Kilkenny.
    Lad,you seem like a lot of people and teams falling into the sit back and admire them mode,you would think they were going for 10 in a row and trouncing us for years.Add the score of the 3 Tipp KK games together + the first half last Sunday and i think it comes to 6-67 to 6-67,the wheels came off in the second half for several reasons (many self induced including no bottle when things started going wrong,mgmt,soft 2nd goal etc etc) and all of a sudden it's like we'll never beat them until the whole County Board go and 2yr olds are put on diets with a hope of giving them a game in 2030 ffs.This is the mentality that seems to be in Offaly/Wexford etc for a while who are beaten before they go out,Sheedy got rid of it very quickly but after 35mins last Sunday it's on the way back again i'm afraid.When they lose it's an off day and injuries for some people-(3 bad beatings in major finals 8/10 and 12 points since 2010),so i wouldn't be losing all hope yet. And yes of course they have giving out some hidings too as Tipp have also to other teams and others to a lesser extent lest not forget(09 semi/11 Munster Final).

• Advertisement

And another thing, not one current Kilkenny hurler if even a past hurler on twitter, not one.

If one of our lads makes himself a sandwich the world and his wife have to know about it. Nothing against social media but these players should be drilled and advised on it.

Cillian Buckley's on Twitter. Henry Shefflin set up one but I don't think he posts. Not as apparent as the Tipperary lads. In fairness they're a good laugh to follow but whether it's a rule to avoid social media, I'm not sure.

First time on here since the match but interesting reading over the last few pages!

I think its important to note that Declan is going to go down in the books as one of our more successful managers. 2yrs and two Munster championships. Hard to argue with it and something we would have lauded him for only 10yrs ago.

This Kilkenny machine has without doubt attained legend status. It pains me to say it but you have to admit they are a thing of beauty. But no matter how well oiled a machine is there are always days when it breaks down. Thats why Tipp, cork and galway have had their days in the sun. But when that machine functions correctly like it did last sunday we never had a chance.

Im not saying we didnt do things to aid our own downfall and tactically I agree we were found wanting. But it would have taken something special from us to stop them on sunday. After 2009 Sheedy and Co focused so much attention on Kilkenny and they planned every detail on how to defeat them. To his credit it worked and alot of credit has to be given to that management team for the 2010 success.

But looking back it was only a minor blip for kilkenny. Which is what I think the Leinster final was this year. Only in this case they wont have to wait 12mths to rectify it. Id love to be eating my words in a few weeks time but in all honestly and cant see Galway repeating their feat.

No one would doubt Kilkenny are a super super team but as both Galway and Tipperary proved in the past they are beatable. To do that though you just cant give them the kind of room on the ball Tipperary were giving them on Sunday.

The first 6 points they got they barely had to work for them. They weren't panicked into any quick decisions and no keenness on Tipperary's part to get to the ball and look to be fair to Kilkenny its because they are alot hungrier then most teams 9/10 and they beat them seemingly without any difficulty. They deserve massive credit for hunger levels. Its no coincidence that Tipperary have nosedived since Sheedy and co left. Yes it took us until 2010 to beat Kilkenny but to be fair we were still relatively young and were on the rise.

In 2009, their goalkeeper got motm and they received a questionable penalty on the day. Tipp also had Benny sent off.

Tipp played on an intense level like never before during the Sheedy years and havent quite replicated that since

Cillian Buckley's on Twitter. Henry Shefflin set up one but I don't think he posts. Not as apparent as the Tipperary lads. In fairness they're a good laugh to follow but whether it's a rule to avoid social media, I'm not sure.

Hadnt realised they were on it. As i said no problem with players being on it and its a great way to engage with supporters but some of them i feel are far too carried away on it. I suppose so long as they dont go all Anthony Masterson on it and go off on rants its not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'm nearly sure I 'followed' Henry on twitter there a while ago.In my opinion any Hurler can go on twitter if they like,they're entitled to what they like outside of Hurling as long as they're not acting the b****x.the County board or anyone else don't own them.

Personally I don't think that's the correct mentality at all, fcuk Kilkenny, let them worry about Kilkenny and we'll worry about Tipperary. And if you prepare all year with that attitude you wont get to play Kilkenny because you'll get your arse handed to you in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was on another TIPP gaa forum site and ya've all the Galway boys on giving it loads, Jesus ya'd think there winning Leinster and all Ireland's every second year, how siht TIPP are and that Leinster is only decent hurling been played ..... I know we'll ship a lot of flack but other counties seem to be embarresset for us why galway touting the boot in.....and I taught Galway people were grand!!!! Am I wrong....

Was on another TIPP gaa forum site and ya've all the Galway boys on giving it loads, Jesus ya'd think there winning Leinster and all Ireland's every second year, how siht TIPP are and that Leinster is only decent hurling been played ..... I know we'll ship a lot of flack but other counties seem to be embarresset for us why galway touting the boot in.....and I taught Galway people were grand!!!! Am I wrong....

Well in fairness the term 'Bitter Mattie' has often cropped up in Premierview and some of the pv'ers took immense pleasure in the misery Galway endured in last years championship so i suppose karma is a bitch and they think payback is in order. We may grin and bear it and hope the future works out.

Personally i think every county deserves a certain level of respect. Love the bit of banter myself but its fair to say that each and every hurling fan and i include myself in that, can get sucked in far too much and get carried away with things.

We got a home draw for the Intermediate final next Saturday evening. 6pm v Kilkenny in Thurles. Id encourage everyone to go out and support the lads.

UP THE PREMIER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I used to post on pv but say anything negative on it and your shot down... So much for healthy debate!!! Hoganstand ok but to many Keyboard warriors who i'd say never seen the inside of croke park.... Thank god for TIPP gaa boards and all the sensible posters .... Keep it up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

long time follower first time poster.i dont know much about the intermediates does anyone know whos the favourite for the game?

Advertisement