Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

If Corbett's out for sure it will be interesting to see the likes of Bourke, McGrath, Callanan and others step up, presuming they do. Kelly, Maher et al. need to be consistent. Time to shine.

OAOB wrote: »
    Have to agree with the above sentiments. We all hope Lar will be back with us when the summer comes around but at the moment he's stepped aside so lets move on with the lads we have who are putting in a ferocious commitment for the jersey. There's far too much speculation going on about problems within the camp and no one has any proof of it.
    Declan and the back up staff have made mistakes and will surely make more but as monb points out so did Sheedy when in charge (remember after Cork in 2010 when we wanted him replaced). Tipp hurling is in a great state at the moment as far as i'm concerned and trying to stir up controversy for headlines is the medias job, us supporters should just back the lads that are there.
    I really hope Lar comes back but this team has to be bigger than one man or we won't be winning anything anyway

i think the ultimate difference between Sheedys mistakes and Ryans is that you got the sense that Sheedy was learning from them. I dont get this perceptive that 'We wanted sheedy gone' after Cork 2010 either.
    Anyone who knew their hurling knew Sheedy was the man and we had come along way from the previous farce with that big egomaniac before him. Any views that Sheedy should go came from a minority people who knew naff all about hurling regurtitating the aforementioned Babs rag column in the Sun.

Ryan on the other hand has a very simplistic view of managing and i remember him saying at this years homecoming, 'We put in over 100 training sessions, i dont know what went wrong'.

Surely to god he knew Kilkenny would have a gameplan but instead he looked on on the sideline with his mouth open. He looked at Shane Mcgrath injured for quarter of an hour and didnt react whatsoever. Going into 2012 and i can honestly say he hasnt changed 1 bit. We got lucky in Munster last year. We met a Cork team later hammered by Galway who almost came back and pipped us. We had nervy moments against a raw but up and coming Clare team and Waterford were at sea at the back last year in the Munster final. We had the forwards to punish such mediocrity and that we did but it wasnt a true reflection on how good tipp were but rather how good we were to punish mistakes.

Dublin will feel they left the semi behind them and as for the final.....well we met a hungry and crafty side with a great manager who will see rookies like Ryan off in his sleep.

Declan was a great hurler in his time and in that regard i have the utmost respect for him but he simply isnt managerial material. He brings absolutely nothing to the setup. Even Davy Fitz for all faults will bring motivation to the setup to make up for his lack of tactics. Decky brings neither.

Everything that was in abundance from 2008-2010 was absent last year. Hunger, belief, desire, i could go on and on. There was a nervousness about Tipp that i hadnt seen in a long time.
    Even in Cork the day we were beat out the gate, even that performance as abysmal as it was (and it was a mere blip which ultimately benefitted us) even trumped last years all ireland and the difference between the respective margins in the 2 games was irrelevant i think.

Tipp have an abundance of good hurlers ill agree and theres no doubt they are capable of pulling it off but if they do it will be in spite of the management and not because of them. Tommy Dunne may in time become a good coach but he has alot to learn.

Having said all that, its now high time for the Buggys, the John O'Neills, the Timmy Hammerslys, the Pa Bourkes, the Shane Bourkes, the Seamus Callanans to step up to the plate. there is no where to hide anymore and a lar shaped space to fill

The dynamic of 2010 has changed dramatically. Apart from Sheedy, O'Shea and Michael Ryan, Cian O'Neill and Caroline Currid has walked away from the set up and now Lar has followed.

Squeaky bum time now for Ryan and co. Time to S**t or get off the pot. John Allen will certainly have his homework done on us for May 27 and if they get a run on us the first quarter of an hour we may be in big trouble.

That game I posted about during the week has been moved. It was scheduled to have Cork and Tipperary play at 2pm in Clonmel, now it's relocated to Templemore at 1pm. Would've liked to go along to Clonmel venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'm not disagreeing with you on Declan as so far he has not instilled as much confidence as Liam had but at the same time he's only starting his second season in charge and i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see how this year turns out. I feel we're being very harsh and critical on him when the league hasn't even started yet and no proper hurling done.
    You did say he hasn't changed one bit this year though, i haven't been to any of the matches yet so have you seen similar mistakes being made this year?

Have to agree that its time for a lot of the younger lads to stand up and be counted this year, lads like Callanan and Pa haven't performed consistenly and other lads like Buggy and Shane Bourke have only contributed in games of little importance, this is the year they need to really step up and make their mark.

The whole season is ahead of us so no need to be disheartened just yet:D

I know it's the Waterford Crystal Cup but any action for the hurlers is welcome in my view.
    The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Cork in the Waterford Crystal Cup semi-final v Cork on Sunday February 12 at Templemore at 1pm is:

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    2. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Captain
    4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. Shane Maher (Burgess)
    6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    8. Johnny Ryan (Drom and Inch)
    9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)
    12. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    13. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    14. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    15. John O’Brien (Toomevara)

From: http://munster.gaa.ie/2012/02/10/waterford-crystal-cup-senior-hurling-semi-final-1/

It will be interesting to see if Shane Maher gets a regular role in the season. Patrick Maher moves to 11 for the first time since his first all-Ireland I think. Strong back line and Ryan, Hammersley and O' Meara will surely look to impress. All attention for the next while will be how to replace Corbett. We have some good starters in O' Brien, Kelly, Maher etc. but down the line depth is key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Big year for O'Meara and Hammersly, with Lar gone and Kelly likely to have less playing time its time for these lads to step forward and prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Not a bad team at all,pity it was changed from Clonmel as I was looking forward to seeing it.I really hope some of the new forwards step up to the mark this year,is Shane burke injured?

tippspur wrote: »
    Not a bad team at all,pity it was changed from Clonmel as I was looking forward to seeing it.I really hope some of the new forwards step up to the mark this year,is Shane burke injured?

Do UCC need him fresh for Fitzgibbon maybe? Pity because he is a far better option then Hammersley and id like to see him get a run soon. Try's to win his own ball too. We have a few passengers on the panel that wont bother and when they do they'll give a way a needless free where the goalie can drive it way further down the field from a dead ball then the full back under pressure that was needlessly fouled.

Big year for O'Meara and Hammersly, with Lar gone and Kelly likely to have less playing time its time for these lads to step forward and prove themselves.

I have alot of faith in the former who is looking fresh and trim thus far but the latter is not good enough for a place on the panel. Either is John O'Neill. Mikey Heffernan, Shane Bourke and Pat Kerwick would be far better options. Even Sean Carey may eventually come good but seems to be suffering lack of confidence or possibly he is burned out.

Another thing is why in the name of god do we have even a few big names starting Sunday?
    Darren Gleeson is doing fine and deserves a longer run in the team. We know what Cummins can do and dont need to see him until the latter end of the league at least. This needless practice of putting vastly experienced players in this time of year is ridiculous and probably helped Lar in making a decision.

I wouldnt mind the likes of Pa Bourke starting etc because they reallly need to push on but there is absolutely nothing to be achieved by seeing Eoin Kelly or Brendan Cummins this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Its a pity the game wasnt kept in Clonmel, there dont be many games down here and the one time one is sceduled its moved away.

Great win today. Buggy looking very sharp. He chipped in with 3 or 4 points himself today and laid on a few more. Tipp should have been home and hosed but missed several goal chances throughout the game.

Called into Semple for the second half of the football. Very very disappointing. ive defended Evans regularly in the past but we are now in a situation where we are being beaten at home in the national league more often then we win there, yet he is on a decent salary to 'develop' Tipp football. Dont think he can take the credit for the minor win either as they were coached by a very shrewd man in Davy Power.

alan27 wrote: »
    Its a pity the game wasnt kept in Clonmel, there dont be many games down here and the one time one is sceduled its moved away.

The few fixtures in clonmel during the last month have taken their toll i believe. i think the game should have at least been a double header either in clonmel or if not in the stadium. You wouldnt mind the programme was doubled up.

Patrick Maher brought off with a leg injury I hear on Twitter. Did you see anything tipp_Gunner? Nevertheless good win and into the final.

Patrick Maher brought off with a leg injury I hear on Twitter. Did you see anything tipp_Gunner? Nevertheless good win and into the final.

He limped off near the end of the 70 alright. not sure what the damage is but hopefully it isnt too severe. Good win. Final in Clare next weekend. Probably Ennis id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CúilChip

He limped off near the end of the 70 alright. not sure what the damage is but hopefully it isnt too severe. Good win. Final in Clare next weekend. Probably Ennis id imagine.

The last time we played Clare in a Waterford crystal final we played it in Ogonnelloe. Would not be surprised if it is in Sixmilebridge this time

Brief round up of the match here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/waterford-crystal-cup-round-up-539597.html

Nice to see O' Meara active.

A good performance by Buggy O Meara today I hear,he has the talent if he puts his mind to it.Hope bonnar is not to seriously injured.

A good performance by Buggy O Meara today I hear,he has the talent if he puts his mind to it.Hope bonnar is not to seriously injured.

Buggys attitude has been marvellous this year absolutely brilliant. hope he keeps it up. he is a big guy but is still a bit young and will come up against some crafty full backs like Eoin Cadogan and Noel Hickey but ive every faith in him to deliver.

One guy who could really shine this year is John O'Brien. Since last year Johnno has been immense. He has grown in stature and toughened up no end. Ive been a critic in the past but after this years All ireland where he was one of two forwards (Bonnar being the other) who really stood up and was counted.

What's the craic with this weekend? Is the Waterford Crystal game on as well as the league opener? Or I'm incredibly lost. Either way, it'll be great to see the game back on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

What's the craic with this weekend? Is the Waterford Crystal game on as well as the league opener? Or I'm incredibly lost. Either way, it'll be great to see the game back on TV.
    Its the league game v kilkenny, crystal final is not going to be played until march. Biggest League game of the year and the harty cup final featuring a tipp school will be played at the same time...

This is the Tipp team for Sunday.

Gleeson
    Donagh Maher, Curran, Micheal Cahill
    Shane Maher, Conor O'Mahony, Padraic Maher
    David Young, Brendan Maher
    Gar Ryan, Noel McG, Adrain Ryan
    John O'Brien, Buggy, Pa Bourke

Live on TG4 if anyone can't get to Nolan Park......Hon TIPP !!

This is the Tipp team for Sunday.

Gleeson
    Donagh Maher, Curran, Micheal Cahill
    Shane Maher, Conor O'Mahony, Padraic Maher
    David Young, Brendan Maher
    Gar Ryan, Noel McG, Adrain Ryan
    John O'Brien, Buggy, Pa Bourke

Live on TG4 if anyone can't get to Nolan Park......Hon TIPP !!

Donagh Maher hasnt hurled the last few fixtures so thats a bit of a gamble but it shows how far Conor O'Briens stock has fallen that a relative rookie can be picked over his experience. To be quite frank and honest id have Gerry Walsh on the panel instead of COB too.

Young hurling well in the middle lately. He struggled there under Sheedy in the championship in 2010 but might bring a bit of physicality to an area where needed against a powerhouse like Michael Fennelly.

Pa needs to start winning dirty ball. Bags of skill but needs to get more involved. I get the impression he fluffed the goal chances the last day due to being afraid taking a hit from the out rushing keeper.

Otherwise its a strong team. A tour de force by Buggy O'Meara might be just the ticket.

KK are putting out a very strong team for Sundays game,we're going to have our work cut out to win this one lads.

1 D Herity
    2 J Tyrrell
    3 JJ Delaney
    4 N Hickey
    5 T Walsh
    6 B Hogan
    7 P Murphy
    8 P Hogan
    9 M Fennelly
    10 TJ Reid
    11 M Rice
    12 E Larkin
    13 C Fennelly
    14 R Power
    15 M Ruth.

Cody taking this game seriously by the looks of that team.

1 D Herity
    2 J Tyrrell
    3 JJ Delaney
    4 N Hickey
    5 T Walsh
    6 B Hogan
    7 P Murphy
    8 P Hogan
    9 M Fennelly
    10 TJ Reid
    11 M Rice
    12 E Larkin
    13 C Fennelly
    14 R Power
    15 M Ruth.

Cody taking this game seriously by the looks of that team.

Thats a fair team.....If im wrong then so be it.....i think we'll take em :)

Always a pleasure watching Richie Power play. Immense player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Strange selections at 3,4 & 7 for Kilkenny, would you expect them to hold those positions? Its not like Cody to mess around when naming teams but all those players seem to be playing out of position

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

I think we are gonna get creamed by this KK side tomorrow.
    Word leaking out is the camp is pretty unsettled and its not close to resolution. Ryan has his detractors but it seems that it aint him that is causing the stir. Seems that some of the lesser management crew will have to substantially brush up on their people skills.
    The only thing positive from this selection is the inclusion of Young at midfield. Bourke should have a good game and O'Meara really needs to hit the ground running but O'Brien is on borrowed time IMO...
    The six backs look solid enough and wont let it become a scandal but the wing forward line is as suspect as it gets.. I hope I am proved wrong but if they can keep KK to 7 pts its an achievement in itself!

M

• Advertisement

I think we are gonna get creamed by this KK side tomorrow.
    Word leaking out is the camp is pretty unsettled and its not close to resolution. Ryan has his detractors but it seems that it aint him that is causing the stir. Seems that some of the lesser management crew will have to substantially brush up on their people skills.
    The only thing positive from this selection is the inclusion of Young at midfield. Bourke should have a good game and O'Meara really needs to hit the ground running but O'Brien is on borrowed time IMO...
    The six backs look solid enough and wont let it become a scandal but the wing forward line is as suspect as it gets.. I hope I am proved wrong but if they can keep KK to 7 pts its an achievement in itself!

M

I was just thinking earlier, fair enough if we get beaten by a small margin in a nip and tuck game, but.....if Tipp do get creamed tomorrow then questions must be seriously asked, because we have been back training 'officially' since January 3rd and are training 5 or 6 nights a week.

Thus far we have played 3 Waterford Crystal Games and 3 challenges (or at least to the best of my memory) since January 8th.

If Tipp do get hammered tomorrow then there is something radically wrong with this regime because fitness is certainly not an issue and we have a fantastic group. Ill accept there is maybe a little inexperience in our team for tomorrow but the guys who have came in like Donagh, A Ryan and Buggy are very good prospects.

Advertisement