Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya i agree you definately need a good team around you.who would you like to see with him?

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya i agree you definately need a good team around you.who would you like to see with him?

Firstly i suppose for starters its just rumours so without any confirmation of yet i dunno really.

Hypothetically talking i suppose ideally you'd be hoping at least Michael Ryan would come back with him or perhaps Sheedy in the selectors role. Perhaps it may well turn out to be the previous arrangement with Sheedy manager and O'Shea as trainer and Mick Ryan as selector :) We can all dream sure.

But the rumour circulating is that both Eamonn Corcoran and Declan Fanning are going to be named alongside him. I dunno. Both young and keen no doubt but very young for such a role. Would like if they cut their teeth with clubs for now before they take on such a job. However i suppose they would learn from the very best in O'Shea if it became the case.

Interesting times await. I hope whoever we get that they are knowledgeable, experienced and most importantly competent to do the job. Sadly the Tipperary job is not attractive like the job of managing a big soccer club. if you fail there you get a huge payout at the very least and you can get a helicopter back to your multi million pound mansion where you live in a bubble but in hurling its abuse abuse and more abuse as you try to live your daily life and do your job.

It is a thankless job no doubt so in that regard i do have huge sympathy for Declan as he stepped up to the plate when no one else would after all.

But tbh both he and Tommy lacked an awful lot of what you need to survive in the game. Both were really learning alongside each other and were out of their depth. Had either worked alongside an experienced coach like Eamon O'Shea for example or Donal O'Grady beforehand it could have greatly benefitted them.

County SHC from Tipperary gaa site

Relegation
    Upperchurch 1-22 to Aherlow 1-8

Aherlow are relegated to Intermediate

Round 3 Qualifiers
    23/8/12
    Cappawhite G.A.A. 0-14 V 4-25 Borris-Ileigh

26/8/12
    Burgess 0-11 V 0-22 Druim agus Inse
    Kildangan 0-20 V 0-18 Templederry Kenyons

Round 4 Qualifiers
    Saturday 15 Sept in Cashel
    Eire Og Annacarty Donohill will play Borris-Ileigh at 2pm
    Drom/Inch v The Swan at 3.30pm

Sunday September 16 at MacDonagh Park, Nenagh

Toomevara will play Kildangan at 2pm
    Loughmore-Castleiney v Lorrha and Dorrha/Roscrea at 3.30pm.

i dont know how to do the thank you thing so appreciate the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

i dont know how to do the thank you thing so appreciate the answer

Just click the thumb symbol on hte bottom right of the post you want to thank.

• Advertisement

cheers premierstone but there is no thumb symbol at the bottom of the posts maybe its just this computer at work i will have to try a different computer maybe and see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cheers premierstone but there is no thumb symbol at the bottom of the posts maybe its just this computer at work i will have to try a different computer maybe and see.

You need to have made 10 posts on the site before the "Thanks" function becomes available. Nearly there now though!

You need to have made 10 posts on the site before the "Thanks" function becomes available. Nearly there now though!

Ah cool, didnt know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

From what I've heard - Declan Ryan, Tommy Dunne and Michael Gleeson are expected to officially step down as the management team of The Tipperary Senior Hurling Squad this evening when they hold a meeting with the county board. The search for a new management team is expected to start immediately with a committee formed by the weekend to find a replacement.
    alan27 wrote: »

I am surprised not to see Donal O'Grady in this list of betting, I have to say I am a fan of his.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/GAA-Sports-Specials/next-tipperary-manager?ev_oc_grp_ids=785522

Looking at the list, I know all of them bar one, whose Paudie Butler? Excuse my ignorance if hes well known :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I too would like to see O' Grady involved but he's got a good thing going with RTE and TG4. Plus his stay at Limerick for just the year baffled me, maybe he's done with management?

Cody in PP at 250/1. :pac:

• Advertisement

mags85 wrote: »
    Looking at the list, I know all of them bar one, whose Paudie Butler? Excuse my ignorance if hes well known :)

Drom man, was the Nathional Director of Hurling untill recently and very highly regarded in training circles, did some wonderfull work in weaker counties.

Either an uncle or father of Seamus Butler who was part of the Tipp team a few years back (corner forward) and carried Drom for a few years.

thank you thumbs up haha

what are peoples opinions of john mcintyre?he didnt have a great time of it in galway but maybe he was up against it there from day one.i dont know anymore about the man apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Why will they not consider/hire anyone outside of Tipperary? With that attitude you're immediately restricting the talent pool. That narrow view could haunt.

i dont know why but that just doesnt sit well with me.if we consider ourselves a hurling power then we surely have someone in county if not something is seriously wrong.its not a professional sport so tipperary people should win trophys for the tipperary people:P

i dont know why but that just doesnt sit well with me.if we consider ourselves a hurling power then we surely have someone in county if not something is seriously wrong.its not a professional sport so tipperary people should win trophys for the tipperary people:P

Fact is though we have a huge shortage of decent managers at least willing to bring us on and as we witnessed this year, the only two that were willing to take the job being both big Tipperary hurling men and look how it turned out.
    If we won Munster next year and became a football force under Peter Creedon for example i doubt that many would worry Peter is from West Cork so long as we were winning.
    Sometimes you have to be brutally honest and admit where deficits exist.

As for John McIntyre...ah i dunno.
    He was relatively unlucky with Galway in both 09 and 10 but in 2011 it would seem the players of a very talented panel downed tools and gave up on him. It doesnt fill me with alot of confidence that he can show leadership when questions are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

I agree. We should look to our own first and foremost, before casting our eye outside the county (last resort). Have we tried real hurling people like Dinny Cahill enough before we look elsewhere?

If I take Dinny as just one example, I don't know enough about his tactical strengths, his read of the game -particularly when it's 'back to the wall time'- but I do know that he eats, lives and sleeps hurling and his enthusiasm and commitment for hurling (particularly Tipp hurling) is second to none. I would want people like Dinny in my dressing room to fire up our team (if players have an inkling for their county) and the sooner we get back to having passion in our game -the better!

ya i know what you mean and at the end of the day its about winning but the old romantic in me says that when say tipperary play cork that's exactly what it is the best of tipp v the best of cork not the best of tipp with say the help of limerick.another point i would like peoples opinions on is say that it is frowned upon when a player wants to play for a different county but not so with managers why is that any ideas?

what are peoples opinions of john mcintyre?he didnt have a great time of it in galway but maybe he was up against it there from day one.i dont know anymore about the man apart from that

I would nearly take Declan and Tommy back before I'd give this chancer the job, never met a man so arrogant and full of he's own importance, Offaly and Galway were a shambles after he's spells in charge, I will admit he has a very successfull club record.

ya like i was saying i dont know much about the man but in 2010 bar ollie canning going off and a bita magic from lar it would have been and probaly should have been them in the semi final that year and 2012 there in a final so is shambles maybe to strong a word?i know it wasnt him who brought them to the final this year but surely if he left things in a really bad way it would have taken them longer than a year to recover.do you know what club he was with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

The pain and anguish of that defeat is slowly ebbing away and I'm starting to think an 18 point trouncing was necessary to bring us all back down to earth.

In 2010 we beat the best team that ever played hurling, but that did not make us then, the best team that ever played hurling. I think our players, our management and our supporters (myself included) felt that we were the team to beat if we played, we would win. The media talked about a new reign coming in hurling, that Tipp would be the new Kilkenny. Last year's all ireland didn't do us any favours as we all felt we just didn't play well and that's why Kilkenny won.

Kilkenny won last year because they are the best team that have ever played the game. Don't get me wrong our performance in 2010 was incredible, they could have had 15 fully fit Henry Shefflins on the field and they wouldn't have beaten us that year but sustaining that was never a possibility (even from a financial perspective).

It is an honour to play for your county, to run out in front of 80000 people in Croke Park, wearing the blue and gold is a dream of thousands of kids and adults. A memory or experience like that I can only imagine will stay with you for the rest of your life. One, the majority of us would give out right leg for. You will never repay the debt of having that opportunity - the coaches who trained you, the players you played with, the opponents you played against, your family who supported you, the parents and volunteer who gave you lifts to far flung corners of the county, the supporters who paid good money to watch you play, the referees who listened to your abuse and giving out, You owe it to them all.

Most individual players don't forget this and as individuals I'm sure none of the Tipperary players don't forget this but sometimes a team can. As a team if you believe you are entitled to win games that you are superior, if you play you will win, you're in big trouble. Don't get me wrong you need to be confident in your own ability, but you need to ensure you do not underestimate the size of the task ahead of you. I think this was part of our problem this year.

Kilkenny as a team don't forget this, it is obvious in every statement they release, in every performance they give (even when they lost to us). Each individual is expendable, there is always someone waiting in the wings to take your place.

Whoever takes over as manager needs to bring this home to players and lead a team steeped in this understanding. A balance of Passion, hurling know how and guts are what is needed of our next manager. There are plenty of managers and selectors in the county who can deliver this.

ya like i was saying i dont know much about the man but in 2010 bar ollie canning going off and a bita magic from lar it would have been and probaly should have been them in the semi final that year and 2012 there in a final so is shambles maybe to strong a word?i know it wasnt him who brought them to the final this year but surely if he left things in a really bad way it would have taken them longer than a year to recover.do you know what club he was with?

Compare their physical condition last year to this though and by the time he departed half the dressing room weren't talking to him, not exactly what we require with our reputation in the dressing room.

When McIntyre was a player and tring to make the breakthrough with Tipp, he once wrote an article under a pseudonym slating the Tipp management and wondering aloud what a certain Lorhha player, namely himself, had to do to actually get a call up. Also every single article he wrote while editor of the Galway Tribune was attacking someone within Galway hurling, personally I dont think this is the type of guy I want in charge of Tipp hurling, and more importantly I doubt very much he would have the required respect of the players.

ah right i see where your coming from i didnt know any of that info.ya it is going to be hard 2 get someone that everyone likes every man will have his plus and minus points whats not good for one county maybe might be good for another.if your a manager coming in from a different county your always going to be up against it from day one 1 anyway i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The pain and anguish of that defeat is slowly ebbing away and I'm starting to think an 18 point trouncing was necessary to bring us all back down to earth.

In 2010 we beat the best team that ever played hurling, but that did not make us then, the best team that ever played hurling. I think our players, our management and our supporters (myself included) felt that we were the team to beat if we played, we would win. The media talked about a new reign coming in hurling, that Tipp would be the new Kilkenny. Last year's all ireland didn't do us any favours as we all felt we just didn't play well and that's why Kilkenny won.

Kilkenny won last year because they are the best team that have ever played the game. Don't get me wrong our performance in 2010 was incredible, they could have had 15 fully fit Henry Shefflins on the field and they wouldn't have beaten us that year but sustaining that was never a possibility (even from a financial perspective).

It is an honour to play for your county, to run out in front of 80000 people in Croke Park, wearing the blue and gold is a dream of thousands of kids and adults. A memory or experience like that I can only imagine will stay with you for the rest of your life. One, the majority of us would give out right leg for. You will never repay the debt of having that opportunity - the coaches who trained you, the players you played with, the opponents you played against, your family who supported you, the parents and volunteer who gave you lifts to far flung corners of the county, the supporters who paid good money to watch you play, the referees who listened to your abuse and giving out, You owe it to them all.

Most individual players don't forget this and as individuals I'm sure none of the Tipperary players don't forget this but sometimes a team can. As a team if you believe you are entitled to win games that you are superior, if you play you will win, you're in big trouble. Don't get me wrong you need to be confident in your own ability, but you need to ensure you do not underestimate the size of the task ahead of you. I think this was part of our problem this year.

Kilkenny as a team don't forget this, it is obvious in every statement they release, in every performance they give (even when they lost to us). Each individual is expendable, there is always someone waiting in the wings to take your place.

Whoever takes over as manager needs to bring this home to players and lead a team steeped in this understanding. A balance of Passion, hurling know how and guts are what is needed of our next manager. There are plenty of managers and selectors in the county who can deliver this.
    i agree with you pretty much word for word.. look to the future and learn from past mistakes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well done to the intermediates, some come back by Kk, hopefully minors can do the job next week as well .... Give us back a bit of dignity .... Well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Declan Ryan and Co are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Yeah just heard there .... Let's hope the new management is good news!!! Thank you Declan Ryan for two Munster titles... I'm not into slagging people off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

fair play to the intermediates, especially to mikey heffernan and James logue, ye played a stormer...

Well done to the intermediates, some come back by Kk, hopefully minors can do the job next week as well .... Give us back a bit of dignity .... Well done lads

Just back from Thurles. We almost f*cked it up after hurling them out the gate the first half but in fairness to Kilkenny they went man for man in the second half and Tipp drove a few wides and got jittery. KK started to win all the dirty ball. Still we won and i suppose id have jumped at two points at the start of the game. Mikey Heffernan was top drawer and its an awful pity David Butler had to go off as he was causing havoc to them. The backs were excellent. Logue done alot of good. He saved two 21's and a penalty but he had a mare for the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yeah,it was great to win but jazis they made us sweat until the end,if we lost that game after the big lead we had at half time we would all have to go into hibernation for the winter.well done and congrats to the Swans Gerry Walsh.

Advertisement