Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

Yeah just heard there .... Let's hope the new management is good news!!! Thank you Declan Ryan for two Munster titles... I'm not into slagging people off

Ah yeah i dont agree with any personal insults being aimed at any of the personnel and look he did win two Munsters but i would be very critical of that managements tenure however in a constructive manner. They inherited an All ireland winning team and to be honest they made a calamity of errors over the last two years but that was owing to both their inexperience. If they come back having learned from it in the future with experienced heads showing them the ropes then they may be good in the future but they have an awful lot to learn.
    Declan wasn't hands on enough with that team in all honesty and Tommy was far too inexperienced (and from what i hear, hotheaded also) to have a training role and when you consider the boots he had to fill in Eamon O'Shea then it was a brave move by the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Great result yday and well done to all involved. Best of luck to the Minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Fair play to Declan and co. for their accomplishments in the two Munsters but the painful and obvious legacy of the All Irelands and missed chances is always going to be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Tipperary, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

TIPP hoganstand and TIPP gaa Facebook, go to TIPP gaa on the right hand side of the page you have. Fixtures/results click on that click on the previous 7 days results, wait till the page comes up you'll see it's last years results so just click on results again and you'll get up to date results.... Hope you understand it ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

so lads any opinions on sundays games dare we dream 4 a tipp an galway double:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Tipperary, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.
    Killenaule play Moyle Rovers in the Senior football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

buggy beag wrote: »
    The Dubs seem to have a more physical team while Tipp have very skilful hurlers with a lot of heart,hopefully that will be enough to get us over the line. best of lick to them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

How do ye think the minors will fare out Sunday, have my ticket got anyways so il be up cheering the boys on ( wonder how wearing a tipp jersey will work out for me) also on another positive note delighted to see that joke of a management team gone.

ya true 2 did galway beat dublin in the final last year?clare were very unlucky not 2 beat dublin wasnt that impressed with them but anthing can happen on any given sunday

• Advertisement

ya true 2 did galway beat dublin in the final last year?clare were very unlucky not 2 beat dublin wasnt that impressed with them but anthing can happen on any given sunday

You can never tell with minors. For the neutral, minor games are always thrillers because they can just turn in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

tippspur wrote: »
    Killenaule play Moyle Rovers in the Senior football final.

Far more than these two left, I'd imagine that's the South Final. Loughmore are into the county semi, the North Final is between McDonaghs and Fr Kenyons, not sure about the west.

Minors should win but like has been alluded to Minors are very unpredictable, Dublin were equally hot favourites in the football last year and we all know what happened there.

I certainly wouldnt be dreaming of Galway winning tbh, I'm old enough to remember '87-'89 and I live in North West Tipp, the matties are one insufferable shower and I actually hope KK tear them a new one ;)

Minors should win but like has been alluded to Minors are very unpredictable, Dublin were equally hot favourites in the football last year and we all know what happened there.

I certainly wouldnt be dreaming of Galway winning tbh, I'm old enough to remember '87-'89 and I live in North West Tipp, the matties are one insufferable shower and I actually hope KK tear them a new one ;)

haha i see your predicament my friend haha well im from south tipp so kk be bigger rivals to me but hard to see galway winning,they will need massive games from canning and burke to get scores then it will depend on how well their backs cope surely cant be any worse than our lot:Phaha

canning and burke to get scores then it will depend on how well their backs cope surely cant be any worse than our lot:Phaha

Burke will be targeted in good old Cody fashion, and their defence is highly suspect IMO, Skehil is shocking, Tony Og Regan has the attention span of a nanosecond, and the full back hasn't been tested yet and looks suspect under the highball to me. Kilkenny are masters at exposing oppositions weaknesses and Galway have too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Best of luck to our minor hurlers against Dublin this Sunday. Hopefully The Irish Press Cup will be in the possession of Bill Maher:). Does anyone know what the team for Sunday is? I hear that Ronan Maher is a doubtful starter.

Best of luck to our minor hurlers against Dublin this Sunday. Hopefully The Irish Press Cup will be in the possession of Bill Maher:). Does anyone know what the team for Sunday is? I hear that Ronan Maher is a doubtful starter.

just seen your message think the team is on the tipperarygaa.ie page really hope they do it and sorry premierstone but mon galway:Phaha

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow, will be some achievement from this crop of minor hurlers/footballers if they can win tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The tipp minors seemed to under estimated the Dublin minors, lucky to get the draw and we will have to up our game come September 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

It was a poor game imo. Tipp were extremely average for the most part, fortunately Dublin were not good enough to take advantage. A tipp minor team that only scores 1.2 from play is a rare occurrence.

Surely won't play as bad again and should be grand for the replay.

• Advertisement

Whether it was nerves or cockiness or perhaps Dublin having better experience at minor level i dunno but we were below our usual standard today. From 1-9 Dublin dominated. Our 6 backs coped well under serious pressure.

Just back from match, we got out of jail!! Did much better in the second half, at least they have a second chance to redeem themselves, the Dublin lads are big physical side but I think we had the better skill although they scored some very nice points.

id like to think that Galway's performance in today's all Ireland final showed up our management for the mess they were the last two years. Of course some of our players must take the blame also but for all the bluffing we got in the media about our strong panel and all the hard training sessions it would seem we trained harder and not smarter for the last two seasons.
    It took Sheedy, O'Shea and Ryan 3 years to get a relatively young team to win an all ireland but Ryan Dunne and Gleeson managed to sink the ship in less than two years and just in case we might win an all ireland in the future our county board have assembled a 9 man panel (yes 9 men) to pick the next manager and they have assured us they wont go outside the county :rolleyes:

What with all the riches we have in coaching expertise sure we'll have no bother :rolleyes:

Other than Eamon o'Shea or Liam Sheedy and until today you also had Nicky English (who ruled himself out on tv3 prior to the match) we have little outside those candidates.

I cannot understand how we are so insular about ensuring the hurling manager has to be from Tipp. Surely Lar Corbett would have benefited greater from Donal O'Grady's tutelage had they got him even for the one year in 2011? Sure dont forget the Carroll Brothers from Limerick and Denis Byrne from Kilkenny donned the blue and gold so what would be the big deal about having an outside manager? Hell even Declan Carr was originally from Dublin.

All the great coaches in sport are not from the area they coached in with the exception of Pepe Guardiola, and Brian Cody. Alex Ferguson isnt a Stretford man, Arsene Wenger isnt an Islington man, Bill Shankly wasnt a scouser.

I cannot understand how in the year 2012 after suffering an 18 point hammering to the old rival and having a shortage of viable candidates outside o'shea and Sheedy (who will more than likely both turn the job down) why the county board wont at the very least keep it as an option.

And is it really necessary to have 9 men pick our next manager? Really? I suppose its a case of spreading the blame as far and wide as possibly can for when it goes tits up again which we have been doing magnificently since 1965.

This will probably be met by horror but I think it's incredibly stupid, foolish, and narrow minded to stay in the county for a manager and not venture over the borders. Go outside, think outside of the box.

I'd rather someone who was external to the county and was brilliant than some average coach who's Tipp born and picked for the sake that he's got "Tipperary blood" in him. It's utter nonsense to confine yourself to one county.

This will probably be met by horror but I think it's incredibly stupid, foolish, and narrow minded to stay in the county for a manager and not venture over the borders. Go outside, think outside of the box.

I'd rather someone who was external to the county and was brilliant than some average coach who's Tipp born and picked for the sake that he's got "Tipperary blood" in him. It's utter nonsense to confine yourself to one county.

Fair play Reacher. I suppose alot of people on this thread will disagree and they are entitled to their opinion. Personally there is such an abundance of good hurling people on this thread id hate to run any of them down. But i will try present backup to my argument. Some of the names ive heard linked with the Tipp job that are from Tipperary other then Eamon O'Shea and Liam Sheedy are John Leahy, Colm Bonnar, Declan Carr, and John McIntyre and in all honesty none of those fill me with any sort of confidence. Given some of them came from Babs class of the 80s is another reason not to be optimistic as some of them seem to be of the opinion that Babs' word was gospel.

Burke will be targeted in good old Cody fashion, and their defence is highly suspect IMO, Skehil is shocking, Tony Og Regan has the attention span of a nanosecond, and the full back hasn't been tested yet and looks suspect under the highball to me. Kilkenny are masters at exposing oppositions weaknesses and Galway have too many.

galway must have read your comments premierstone and pinned them on the wall for motivation:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I thought Galway put in an excellent performance yesterday against KK.

Certainly better than the alcoholics and chancers that populate the Tipperary senior hurling team.:mad:

The pain and anguish of that defeat is slowly ebbing away and I'm starting to think an 18 point trouncing was necessary to bring us all back down to earth.

In 2010 we beat the best team that ever played hurling, but that did not make us then, the best team that ever played hurling. I think our players, our management and our supporters (myself included) felt that we were the team to beat if we played, we would win. The media talked about a new reign coming in hurling, that Tipp would be the new Kilkenny. Last year's all ireland didn't do us any favours as we all felt we just didn't play well and that's why Kilkenny won.

Kilkenny won last year because they are the best team that have ever played the game. Don't get me wrong our performance in 2010 was incredible, they could have had 15 fully fit Henry Shefflins on the field and they wouldn't have beaten us that year but sustaining that was never a possibility (even from a financial perspective).

It is an honour to play for your county, to run out in front of 80000 people in Croke Park, wearing the blue and gold is a dream of thousands of kids and adults. A memory or experience like that I can only imagine will stay with you for the rest of your life. One, the majority of us would give out right leg for. You will never repay the debt of having that opportunity - the coaches who trained you, the players you played with, the opponents you played against, your family who supported you, the parents and volunteer who gave you lifts to far flung corners of the county, the supporters who paid good money to watch you play, the referees who listened to your abuse and giving out, You owe it to them all.

Most individual players don't forget this and as individuals I'm sure none of the Tipperary players don't forget this but sometimes a team can. As a team if you believe you are entitled to win games that you are superior, if you play you will win, you're in big trouble. Don't get me wrong you need to be confident in your own ability, but you need to ensure you do not underestimate the size of the task ahead of you. I think this was part of our problem this year.

Kilkenny as a team don't forget this, it is obvious in every statement they release, in every performance they give (even when they lost to us). Each individual is expendable, there is always someone waiting in the wings to take your place.

Whoever takes over as manager needs to bring this home to players and lead a team steeped in this understanding. A balance of Passion, hurling know how and guts are what is needed of our next manager. There are plenty of managers and selectors in the county who can deliver this.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

What you describe above should be the way that players ought to behave and ought to respond.
    Unfortunately Tipperary have been found to be lacking in this regard.

I have heard far too many stories about the behaviour of the members of the 2012 Tipperary panel that show a complete disregard for the team, the jersey, the supporters and the heritage of those who represented the county in the past.
    For example I'm reliably informed that on the Monday night after their disgraceful semi final performance against KK, that there were a series of drunken incidents in Nenagh.

Anyone with an ounce of self awareness from that team who played would have sought to keep a low profile given the shambolic display the previous day.

hinault wrote: »

Certainly better than the alcoholics and chancers that populate the Tipperary senior hurling team.:mad:

Yet you're probably one of the people that will be delighted once they get back to winning ways.

• Advertisement

Yet you're probably one of the people that will be delighted once they get back to winning ways.

They won't get back to winning ways behaving the way that they do.

There is a serious disciplinary issue with that Tipperary panel and team and until that problem is dealt with, Tipperary won't be winning anything for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement