Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭carryharry

Rumor is O'Shea as manager, Michael Ryan, Eamon Corcoran & Michael Fanning as selectors.

Hope there is truth to it but as i said it is only idle talk so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

carryharry wrote: »
    Rumor is O'Shea as manager, Michael Ryan, Eamon Corcoran & Michael Fanning as selectors.

Hope there is truth to it but as i said it is only idle talk so far.

Eamonn Corcoran and Michael Fanning as selectors are great choices. I really hope its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Where is Michael Fanning from. Never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Where is Michael Fanning from. Never heard of him.

Declan Fanning I assume? He was involved as a backs coach last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

tonyduggan wrote: »

Let me ask you this then, why do you love hurling so much now when you didnt watch it in 2005 or 6?

Because I was watching other sports and only came to like Hurling lately and realised how good it is. Is that a crime?
    even your post there about donal o g. Maybe its just the nature of the internet when everyone can find out anything at the click of a button and act as if they know everything about it.

Good grief you have some serious issues with me. I know about O' Grady cos I watch Limerick second most to Tipp and because I read about him and I've a friend who's a huge Limerick fan who I've learned from.

• Advertisement

carryharry wrote: »

There is a lot of discussion about this alright. I follow two journalists on Twitter who are intelligent guys and wouldn't post information unfounded. That said it's unofficial yet but no smoke without fire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

There is a lot of discussion about this alright. I follow two journalists on Twitter who are intelligent guys and wouldn't post information unfounded. That said it's unofficial yet but no smoke without fire etc.

O'Shea is out of the country atm and of course our minors have an AI replay on Sunday, apparently that is the reason it hasn't been officially announced.

John Fogarty wrote this for the examiner.
    O’Shea poised to take over in Tipp
    By John Fogarty

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Senior Tipperary players expect former coach Eamon O’Shea will be named their new hurling manager.

But officials said the Kilruane McDonaghs man is not scheduled to be announced at tonight’s county board meeting.

However, it is strongly believed the county’s 2010 All-Ireland winning coach will be shortly declared the selection committee’s nomination as Declan Ryan’s successor.

Players are already anticipating that they will be reacquainted with O’Shea with whom they enjoyed three fruitful seasons along with Liam Sheedy. O’Shea attended a number of county senior quarter-finals in Thurles over the weekend but is out of the country this week.

Although it had been speculated O’Shea was unavailable due to work commitments, county chairman Seán Nugent suggested the circumstances of a candidate who had dropped out of the running could change.

O’Shea met with county board officials the week before last after which it was rumoured he had withdrawn his name. However, it’s understood the NUIG professor of economics met again with members of the selection committee last week.

Officials last night maintained they aren’t as close to naming a new manager as has been speculated in the county. Nugent said "unfortunately, there is no white smoke" while county PRO Ger Ryan stated there will be no declaration at tonight’s meeting. "As things stand, there will be no announcement at the meeting," said Ryan. "We still haven’t finished the process. Once we have news we will release a statement."

Speaking on Tipp FM yesterday, Tipperary secretary Tim Floyd echoed Nugent and Ryan’s remarks, saying "we have nothing ready for that yet".

However, there is already speculation about O’Shea’s potential management team with Michael Ryan, who worked alongside him under Sheedy, mentioned as well as another former defender Eamonn Corcoran.

Ryan was in Semple on Sunday to take in the Thurles Sarsfields-Kildangan and Eire Óg Annacarty-Portroe SHC quarter-finals.

Galway-based O’Shea’s appointment would be wholly endorsed by the current panel. Speaking at the end of last year, goalkeeper Brendan Cummins emphatically lauded his training sessions.

Meanwhile, Tipperary senior champions Drom-Inch have been drawn to face Loughmore-Castleiney in the county semi-final.

Thurles Sarsfields, who went out at the last-four stage last year, will play Eire Óg Annacarty in the other semi-final.

The games will form a double-header in Semple Stadium on Sunday, October 7.

Ballina and Sean Treacys will clash in an intermediate semi-final with Silvermines taking on the winners or Rockwell Rovers and St Mary’s in the other fixture.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/oshea-poised-to-take-over-in-tipp-208766.html#.UGFHEpzrtTE.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Has he ever managed a team before? He's known as an incredible trainer so I wonder will he take on that role for himself.

I definitely think he's our best option but have to be cautious that we're asking him to step in and perform a role he has no experience of. When it comes to game time will he be strong enough to make the hard calls

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

Because I was watching other sports and only came to like Hurling lately and realised how good it is. Is that a crime?

Good grief you have some serious issues with me. I know about O' Grady cos I watch Limerick second most to Tipp and because I read about him and I've a friend who's a huge Limerick fan who I've learned from.

I have been watching other sports all my life, hurling being one of them, how didnt you have time to watch 5 or 6 70 minute games during the summer when theres feck all else sport on the telly anyway??. Funny how people only realise how good something is when their team wins. You watch limerick second most, and youve been watching hurling for 2 years now, so youve seen what, 5 or 6 limerick games? I dont have issues with you lad its this new idea of the tipp fan who hopped aboard after 2010. If tipp hadnt won in 2010, what would have sparked your interest then? Do you follow tipp footballers? would you follow them more if they won munster next year??

• Advertisement

Oh and apparantly O Shea will take some sort of director of hurling role. This could be a huge appointment. Fairplay to the county board and their lardge selection committee. No need to go outside the county at all lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I have been watching other sports all my life, hurling being one of them, how didnt you have time to watch 5 or 6 70 minute games during the summer when theres feck all else sport on the telly anyway??. Funny how people only realise how good something is when their team wins. You watch limerick second most, and youve been watching hurling for 2 years now, so youve seen what, 5 or 6 limerick games? I dont have issues with you lad its this new idea of the tipp fan who hopped aboard after 2010. If tipp hadnt won in 2010, what would have sparked your interest then? Do you follow tipp footballers? would you follow them more if they won munster next year??

Think you are out of order here TD. This "im supporting my team longer than you" craic is stupid. I welcome everyone who at any stage decides to take up an interest in GAA.

deejer wrote: »
    Think you are out of order here TD. This "im supporting my team longer than you" craic is stupid. I welcome everyone who at any stage decides to take up an interest in GAA.
    never said that now in fairness. but when youve people who only realised in 2010 that jesus theres some craic out in the pubs when tipp win, lar corbett is some legend etc... and they carryin on as if theyve always followed the team. you cant deny these people exist. my cork friends in particular would give you some slaggin over it. the bandwagon county etc... its all well and good having these argumants on the internet, its pointless i agree, but id wonder how many games these fans have been to in their entire life? theres supporting a team by spouting other peoples opinions as your own off on as an anonymous name on the interent, and theres actually getting out and supporting the team. thats the most you can do as a fan in fairness.

never said that now in fairness. but when youve people who only realised in 2010 that jesus theres some craic out in the pubs when tipp win, lar corbett is some legend etc... and they carryin on as if theyve always followed the team. you cant deny these people exist. my cork friends in particular would give you some slaggin over it. the bandwagon county etc... its all well and good having these argumants on the internet, its pointless i agree, but id wonder how many games these fans have been to in their entire life? theres supporting a team by spouting other peoples opinions as your own off on as an anonymous name on the interent, and theres actually getting out and supporting the team. thats the most you can do as a fan in fairness.

So if we only started supporting Tipp because of the success in 2010 but now go to all the matches is that ok to you or we still a bandwagon fan?

OAOB wrote: »
    So if we only started supporting Tipp because of the success in 2010 but now go to all the matches is that ok to you or we still a bandwagon fan?
    it doesnt really matter what i think lad im just giving my opinion, but wouldnt it be better if these "fans" got off their arses and actually supported the team that has been around their wholes lives but only started mattering in 2010

it doesnt really matter what i think lad im just giving my opinion, but wouldnt it be better if these "fans" got off their arses and actually supported the team that has been around their wholes lives but only started mattering in 2010

To be honest it doesn't matter to me when they start supporting the team so long as they keep supporting them through thick and thin from then on.
    And as i said earlier the bandwagon fans you talk about won't be on here at this time of year, they won't care again until Spring time

Reacher certainly isnt one of those and anyone who does care enough to give their opinions on the game generally have an interest. Yes id agree there is, to borrow a phrase from Roy Keane a 'Win or lose were on the booze' crowd following hurling all over the country but i don't think anyone on this thread falls into this category.

As for the Cork crowd i wonder if there was as much following them during the turbulent times some few years back?

Reacher certainly isnt one of those and anyone who does care enough to give their opinions on the game generally have an interest. Yes id agree there is, to borrow a phrase from Roy Keane a 'Win or lose were on the booze' crowd following hurling all over the country but i don't think anyone on this thread falls into this category.

As for the Cork crowd i wonder if there was as much following them during the turbulent times some few years back?

haha jaysus you dont need to give me advise on what to say to the cork lads, all good fun with them but in fairness in terms of slaggin they hadnt a leg to stand on with tipp til d ryan took over, this year in particular.

ive no doubt these people had an interest, but what im sayin is how can these people become such experts and have such a huge interest only since 2010? where were they when it took us 3 goes at limerick to over come them and we still couldnt do it? where was the expert analysis then? its easy to appear to be a die hard fan of anything on the internet in fairness, everyone can be an expert, all they have to do is opne up google and theres the answer. ill give ya another example besides the earlier man city one. the brothers a few years older than me, and growin up it was all the pool, king kenny, ian rush etc, then almost overnight it became munster by the grace of god. shur tis almost pathetic. they win a few games in a sport they have always being playing and all of a sudden you love them. you either love a sport or you dont. i dont know how you could know about hurling for so many years then in 2010 notice our county won something and go jesus thats some sport.

of course its great to get more support for the county, but what is support? is it spouting other peoples opinions on nthe internet or actually going to games and cheering for the players?

haha jaysus you dont need to give me advise on what to say to the cork lads, all good fun with them but in fairness in terms of slaggin they hadnt a leg to stand on with tipp til d ryan took over, this year in particular.

ive no doubt these people had an interest, but what im sayin is how can these people become such experts and have such a huge interest only since 2010? where were they when it took us 3 goes at limerick to over come them and we still couldnt do it? where was the expert analysis then? its easy to appear to be a die hard fan of anything on the internet in fairness, everyone can be an expert, all they have to do is opne up google and theres the answer. ill give ya another example besides the earlier man city one. the brothers a few years older than me, and growin up it was all the pool, king kenny, ian rush etc, then almost overnight it became munster by the grace of god. shur tis almost pathetic. they win a few games in a sport they have always being playing and all of a sudden you love them. you either love a sport or you dont. i dont know how you could know about hurling for so many years then in 2010 notice our county won something and go jesus thats some sport.

of course its great to get more support for the county, but what is support? is it spouting other peoples opinions on nthe internet or actually going to games and cheering for the players?

That's just the way sport works for you though. There is a phrase 'die hard' but there is is very few of them. Id like to see for example if Tipperary got to an All Ireland senior football final what would the scramble for tickets be like considering we get paltry figures at matches at present and i suppose you could say that for any other county.

If people do become interested in a sport all of a sudden i really see no problem with that so long as they maintain their level of interest to some degree and this thread is always a hive of activity in fairness.

I felt the crowd that attended the home coming last year in Semple on that wet night was poor enough and to be honest the least the players deserved for their efforts was a reasonable turn out.

I can remember Brian O'Meara (Mullinahone) giving an interview back in 2003 and he was saying that Philip Maher would have had little if any prior knowledge of Tipperary's hurling history before he began to represent them. He said that Eoin Kelly on the other hand was a human encyclopaedia

:eek:

This comment was posted on the rte site breaking the news regarding O'Shea's return
    JT

3:04 PM on 25/09/2012
    No disrespect to Eamon O'Shea but please dont appoint this man. He isnt up to the job and after the wasted years with Declan Ryan we want someone who can come in and win these games. Someone like Liam Sheedy or Dinny Cahill. Tipperary supporters deserve a propper manager but then the Tipp County Board will always appoint the friends. Not good news for Tipperary.

Now there is someone who hasn't a f*cking clue what they are talking about. The other day one of the Tipp panel told me "There is only one man for the job and that's Eamonn O'Shea"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just heard on Newstalk that O'Shea is the new manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yep it's confirmed now on Tipp GAA's twitter!

Excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

thats a relief! by all accounts he's a 'players manager'. they've the man they want now so hopefully there'll be no excuses for the new year. i'm not demanding an all ireland, just hope there'll be no more disasters like the kk game.

just being devils advocate, but were people too harsh on declan. there was unanamous approval for 'tactics' after we hockeyed w'ford last year. this year i really believe the others closed the gap to us. to emerge from cork with the win after JOB saw red had me very optimistic as i felt it was a great sign of our teams character. I thought we were on course to peak in the semi final. who knows where blame lies but i believe our problems were more complex than just the lar sideshow. To my untrained eye we just looked lighter and weaker than the cats. it appeared as if we'd a lack of desire, but tbf to the players given the training they put in it's hard to level that charge against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Eamon O Shea it is,feckin brilliant news!!

digzy wrote: »
    thats a relief! by all accounts he's a 'players manager'. they've the man they want now so hopefully there'll be no excuses for the new year. i'm not demanding an all ireland, just hope there'll be no more disasters like the kk game.

just being devils advocate, but were people too harsh on declan. there was unanamous approval for 'tactics' after we hockeyed w'ford last year. this year i really believe the others closed the gap to us. to emerge from cork with the win after JOB saw red had me very optimistic as i felt it was a great sign of our teams character. I thought we were on course to peak in the semi final. who knows where blame lies but i believe our problems were more complex than just the lar sideshow. To my untrained eye we just looked lighter and weaker than the cats. it appeared as if we'd a lack of desire, but tbf to the players given the training they put in it's hard to level that charge against them.

To be honest i think the last management have no one to blame bar themselves for the disaster. I thought we had turned a corner when we beat Cork and Waterford but i think we just beat 2 teams who hadnt the same capacity to punish us like Kilkenny have. Other teams may have improved fair enough but we met them half way to close the gap.

Alot more evidence other then the 'Lar and Tommy show' proves my point.

• Declan hadn't the body language of a manager. He wasn't hands on enough and he seemed to have little say in team matters. Tommy Dunne seemed to be the real 'manager' behind the set up.
    • The training regime was ridiculous. It was harder but certainly not smarter and in particular the 16km run weeks before the Kilkenny game down in Bear Island was another insane decision.
    • They stuck Bonnar Maher in the corner despite him being a primary ball winner on the 40. Ideal to have the likes on Brian Hogan or Tommy Walsh.
    • They had senior players mullocking in meaningless challenges during winter. Lar probably benefited from the break if anything. It took him little time to get up to speed.
    • The team played with no intensity and conceded very soft and unchallenged scores numerous times throughout the championship
    • Conor O'Mahony played with a broken toe v Kilkenny and Tom Stapleton had to get a pain killing injection administered yet Paddy Stapleton was fit and Shane Maher was on the bench.
    • Should you believe everything you hear the way Cian O'Neill was treated was appalling. The fact he had such success with Mayo and now is lined up to work with Kerry is a tribute to him and two fingers to whoever decided to dispense with his services.

That's just the way sport works for you though. There is a phrase 'die hard' but there is is very few of them. Id like to see for example if Tipperary got to an All Ireland senior football final what would the scramble for tickets be like considering we get paltry figures at matches at present and i suppose you could say that for any other county.

If people do become interested in a sport all of a sudden i really see no problem with that so long as they maintain their level of interest to some degree and this thread is always a hive of activity in fairness.

I felt the crowd that attended the home coming last year in Semple on that wet night was poor enough and to be honest the least the players deserved for their efforts was a reasonable turn out.

I can remember Brian O'Meara (Mullinahone) giving an interview back in 2003 and he was saying that Philip Maher would have had little if any prior knowledge of Tipperary's hurling history before he began to represent them. He said that Eoin Kelly on the other hand was a human encyclopaedia

oh i agree 100%, its in every sport, but that doesnt make it less ridiculous. and i agree on people becoming interested and then maintaining their interest. like i said, its when you 'happen' to become interested after a victory like we had in 2010, and then all of a sudden are borderline expert, thats when id be weary. ive said to my friends, you can never fully read what a team is like from the telly, and thats where most of these fans are - in front of a telly, most likely on a bar stool some where. thats the issue. they get their knowledge from the internet, dont go out and actively support the team and act as if they know it all then. i personally think its ridiculous anyway, thats just me though.

in relation to the other fantastic news, id say theres no one happier than sheamus callinan in the county tonight! great appointment. just what was needed to lift the spirits after the shambles that went on this year. hopefully m ryan will join up again, 2/3 of the band will be back together then. eamon corcoran seems to be the name doing the rounds for the 2nd selector. if hes half as good on the sideline as he was on the pitch we'll be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

oh i agree 100%, its in every sport, but that doesnt make it less ridiculous. and i agree on people becoming interested and then maintaining their interest. like i said, its when you 'happen' to become interested after a victory like we had in 2010, and then all of a sudden are borderline expert, thats when id be weary. Who cares if they get a big interest in a sport/team after a success. Success always leads to an increase in support/interest in a sport. Look at rugby and the increase in support in many areas of the country the past 12 years or so as an ecample
    ive said to my friends, you can never fully read what a team is like from the telly, and thats where most of these fans are - in front of a telly, most likely on a bar stool some where. thats the issue. they get their knowledge from the internet, dont go out and actively support the team and act as if they know it all then. i personally think its ridiculous anyway, thats just me though.
    Quit the go's at the fans. They support the team now, it doesnt matter when they started following the side as long as they follow the team now and continue to do so. I havent been to a tipp game in several years so does that mean im a lesser fan than someone who's attended some championship games?

in relation to the other fantastic news, id say theres no one happier than sheamus callinan in the county tonight! great appointment. just what was needed to lift the spirits after the shambles that went on this year. hopefully m ryan will join up again, 2/3 of the band will be back together then. eamon corcoran seems to be the name doing the rounds for the 2nd selector. if hes half as good on the sideline as he was on the pitch we'll be flying.
    It is a great appointment and hopefully he gets 100% backing to pick everyone he wants to have in his backroom staff

oh i agree 100%, its in every sport, but that doesnt make it less ridiculous. and i agree on people becoming interested and then maintaining their interest. like i said, its when you 'happen' to become interested after a victory like we had in 2010, and then all of a sudden are borderline expert, thats when id be weary. ive said to my friends, you can never fully read what a team is like from the telly, and thats where most of these fans are - in front of a telly, most likely on a bar stool some where. thats the issue. they get their knowledge from the internet, dont go out and actively support the team and act as if they know it all then. i personally think its ridiculous anyway, thats just me though.

If Seamus is not on his toes next year he could be for the exit door though i think O'shea will get the maximum out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Great news re: Eamon o Shea - someone we can all get behind hopefully and bring us back to serious all - ireland contenders again.

As for the who is the best supporter and what is a true supporter debate which seems to be ongoing here, you're all entitled to your opinions but once you give them leave it at that,

If someone jumps on the bandwagon so be it, let them - the more people out celebrating a tipp success the better the night out in my opinion, if they jump off again so be it - it's a game at the end of the day - now if they went off supporting Kilkenny it'd be a problem. I don't go to every match and training session cause I simply can't, don't have the time - would love to if I did, it doesn't make me any less happy or proud of our team when we win or disappointed when we lose, does it make me less committed as a fan - possibly but I can live with that.

Hopefully with our new manager we'll have a few more years of people jumping on the bandwagon, see ye all in Hayes after next year's all-ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Ormond lad, you say that you have not been at a Tipp match for several years and you ask if that makes you less of a fan than someone who has attended some Championship games. Of course it does. I would have thought that was obvious. How can anyone who never attends a match think he is as big a fan as someone who goes to matches to support his team.

Advertisement