Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

Ormond lad, you say that you have not been at a Tipp match for several years and you ask if that makes you less of a fan than someone who has attended some Championship games. Of course it does. I would have thought that was obvious. How can anyone who never attends a match think he is as big a fan as someone who goes to matches to support his team.
    Took the words out of my mouth! It might not even be less or more of a fan, for fear of being called snobby, but someone who doesnt attend games isnt a very good fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

tonyduggan wrote: »
    Took the words out of my mouth! It might not even be less or more of a fan, for fear of being called snobby, but someone who doesnt attend games isnt a very good fan!

I can understand your point that unless you are there on the day how else can you be supporting the team but i think there is a huge number of legitimate fans who might not attend every match (for a number of different reasons) but the winning and losing of the game will matter more to them than some of the people attending.
    When you look at some people at matches they couldn't give a feck about the result, they're just there for the day out

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

tonyduggan wrote: »

I completely disagree that just because you don't attend matches your not a very good fan. There are various reasons as to why some fans can not attend matches and that doesn't make them any less of a "good fan". Even if there's nothing stopping you from going to matches and prefer to watch them on tv, I would argue that you are still a good fan just maybe not a die hard. Everyone has their own way of supporting their team.

In regards to "bandwagon" fans who only supported the team since 2010 or whatever does it really matter? In fairness if they are still following the team now after the shambles of the final I wouldn't call that bandwagon fans.

I myself for various reasons didn't attend matches between '03-'08. Though I did watch every single match and have attended every match (league and championship) since. I only follow the senior team and don't know much about the club scene but I would still consider myself to be a good fan and definitely not a bandwagon fan though I would never say to be an expert in the subject either.

My pet hate like yourself is the bandwagon fans but obviously our definition of them differs. For me a bandwagon fan is one whose only interest in the team is when their winning and then desert the team when they lose and also the ones that just attend AIs when the person whose attended all year can't get a ticket (but thank god for the season ticket)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I've rarely ever seen this much excitement about the appointment of any manager/coach/player in any sport. Great stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've rarely ever seen this much excitement about the appointment of any manager/coach/player in any sport. Great stuff.

Taking nothing away from Eamonn O'Shea, I'm delighted he is manager but I think there's a lot of buzz and excitement about him because of the state Declan Ryan left us in and people are just relieved to have someone else in charge.

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Taking nothing away from Eamonn O'Shea, I'm delighted he is manager but I think there's a lot of buzz and excitement about him because of the state Declan Ryan left us in and people are just relieved to have someone else in charge.

I cant speak for everyone but im delighted firstly because he is a complete genius who is held in high regard in hurling circles. We've got the very best for this job and secondly as you said Ryan/Dunne left us in a complete mess and we need a saviour. Cometh the hour, cometh Eamon O'Shea.

What may have escaped the radar is Peter Creedon getting the Tipperary football job full time which is another positive appointment but unfortunately David Power has stepped down as minor manager. I think Davy will be back in the future possibly with the u21s or even seniors though

Surely one of the smartest (academically) guys in charge of any club? Professor of NUIG in economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Surely one of the smartest (academically) guys in charge of any club? Professor of NUIG in economics.
    I know what you are saying, but AFAIK Eamonn O'Shea has never managed a club and hopefully he won't for a while and that he will stay on with Tipp.

Whoops, meant team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What may have escaped the radar is Peter Creedon getting the Tipperary football job full time which is another positive appointment but unfortunately David Power has stepped down as minor manager. I think Davy will be back in the future possibly with the u21s or even seniors though
    I think Davy has been putting final accountancy exams off for a while now cos of the minor success,could def see him as future U/21 manager in future though.

Quote from Eamon O Shea.

"I want us to have the traditional Tipperary style of grit along with the more modern approaches to the game. Work rate is very important. I want the players work rate to be at a level that is acceptable to me and to the people who are watching us.
    I like the sound of him already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good to see Peter Creedon back at the helm, thought the footballers made some great strides last year!

tippspur wrote: »
    Quote from Eamon O Shea.

"I want us to have the traditional Tipperary style of grit along with the more modern approaches to the game. Work rate is very important. I want the players work rate to be at a level that is acceptable to me and to the people who are watching us.

I like the sound of him already.

One word for this man, legend!!!!

tippspur wrote: »
    I think Davy has been putting final accountancy exams off for a while now cos of the minor success,could def see him as future U/21 manager in future though.

Yeah thats true tbf to him. He'll be back in the future im sure. Great manager. well drilled

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

does any one know what the story with the u21 football manager is actually?

Probably be sorted tonight, along with Minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

just back from galway was there for a few days along with the aran islands and the flags are flying high really hope they win sunday but more importantly i hope our minors beat the city boys:p and great news about eamon o shea i hope he gets a good team behind him i see today eamon corcoran ruled himself out the championship should be really competitive next year and imo it will be a really good team that wins munster because everyone bar waterford should be fairly even

Good luck to the Tipperary hurlers at the weekend. Get it done men. :)

does any one know what the story with the u21 football manager is actually?

Evans was doing a dual role up to last year so its possible Creedon could do the same especially if there will be an abundance of u21s involved with senior next year.

• Advertisement

Minor Hurling team just announced. One change from the drawn game, with Dylan Fitzelle replacing Stephen O'Brien.

Minor Hurling team just announced. One change from the drawn game, with Dylan Fitzelle replacing Stephen O'Brien.

Interesting. Colm O'Riordan has made the bench also i believe. He'll be involved with both next year.

Evans was doing a dual role up to last year so its possible Creedon could do the same especially if there will be an abundance of u21s involved with senior next year.
    Dual role did not work out for Evans or Tipp last year. A potentially very useful Under 21 performed poorly against a very beatable Kerry team in Thurles. You can take it that David Power will have the Under 21 job in 2013.

Dual role did not work out for Evans or Tipp last year. A potentially very useful Under 21 performed poorly against a very beatable Kerry team in Thurles. You can take it that David Power will have the Under 21 job in 2013.

Thats more down to Evans being a very tactically poor manager i think. Im not so sure about Davy Power yet.

In time he will get the u21 job i reckon but from what i understand he took years out from his accounting studies to take the minor job so id assume he will take a the time necessary to complete them first

I expected David Power to stay with the minors for at least 1 more year. The fact that he did not suggests to me that he would be interested in moving up to Under 21. I could be wrong.

I expected David Power to stay with the minors for at least 1 more year. The fact that he did not suggests to me that he would be interested in moving up to Under 21. I could be wrong.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on i suppose. Would be logical thing to do if Davy wants the job.

I tell ya folks if Tipperary's first game in '2013' Munster championship was tomorrow morning at 7am, be it in Thurles, Cork or Limerick id be there eagerly anticipating it.
    I really cant wait for it. I youtubed 'the mighty blue and gold' song today and after the all ireland in 2011 i havent enjoyed that song since apart from this weeks developments. I every confidence that in the next few months that the Premier will have woken :D

I see we are 7/2 with PP. How much were we last week i wonder prior to O'Shea coming back?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-ireland-shc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tpipe

9/2 last week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Just got two tickets for tomorrow, heading up in the morning hopefully the minors can play to there best and bring home the Irish press cup, here's to two good games.... Oh and thank god the "committee" got the right man for the tipp job hopefully better days ahead to look forward to.

• Advertisement

First round championship draws next Thursday night I think.

I hope we get drawn in a semi for a change.

Advertisement