Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Word on managers is that David Power is with the Under 21 team and Charlie McGeever with the minors.

Just got two tickets for tomorrow, heading up in the morning hopefully the minors can play to there best and bring home the Irish press cup, here's to two good games.... Oh and thank god the "committee" got the right man for the tipp job hopefully better days ahead to look forward to.

It took 9 men to figure out Eamon O'shea was the right man for the job :rolleyes:

Oh well i hope they enjoy their jolly ups out of the process.
    looking forward to seeing the final tomorrow. To be fair to our opponents they seem to be very good at introducing gym programs to players of such a young age.

Personally i think Tipp will be back with a bang in 2013 and I cant wait.

Word on managers is that David Power is with the Under 21 team and Charlie McGeever with the minors.

Who is McGeever and what is he like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Who is McGeever and what is he like?
    Is that the same guy that managed Clonmel Town soccer team?

tippspur wrote: »

I wouldnt know but i wouldnt question any Clonmel man where football is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

they have the same name anyway dont know anything about the man but they won alot while he was there and was always very animated on the sideline so he if its the same man it might not be a bad choice anyways hopfully the minors will bring home our second all ireland and hopfully kk wil end up with none:p

buggy beag wrote: »
    they have the same name anyway dont know anything about the man but they won alot while he was there and was always very animated on the sideline so he if its the same man it might not be a bad choice anyways hopfully the minors will bring home our second all ireland and hopfully kk wil end up with none:p

Wow amazing its a possibility really. You'd go back a fair few years since that happened id say.

Its a killer watching 2 other teams in the All Ireland today but we'll only have a 12 month wait to get back there in my opinion. Now that we have a proper setup in place i think number 27 is sooner on the horizon then later.

There is a Charlie McGeever principal of the Central technical institute in Clonmel where Ian Fahey goes to school so are they all in the same i wonder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Minors winning by 2 goals but we are very sloppy in possession at times.

Edit ; exhibition stuff from tipp now.

First round championship draws next Thursday night I think.

I hope we get drawn in a semi for a change

In the interest of fairness we probably should get a bye but from a fans perspective the more games i get to go to the better, Recession or no recession :D

Love going to them, absolutely love it.

Some performance from the minors thus far. Improvement from the dubs in second half but i think we have 1 hand and 3 fingers of the other on the Irish press cup at this stage.

Fact about Jack Shelley. He won a national boxing title about 6 years ago. Very Bonnaresque type of player

• Advertisement

All ireland minor hurling champions 2012

HON THE PREMIER!!

Very impressive performance and a comfortable win for Tipp. Special word of congrats. to Bill Maher, John McGrath, Dylan Fitzelle and Steven O'Brien, first Tipperary players to win All Ireland Minor Football and Minor Hurling medals.

Very impressive performance and a comfortable win for Tipp. Special word pf congrats. to Bill Maher, John McGrath, Dylan Fitzelle and Steven O'Brien, first Tipperary players to win All Ireland Minor Football and Minor Hurling medals.

Colm O'Riordan came onto the panel today and also qualifies. Im almost sure there is one or two other panellists.

Some win!!! hon the Premier County.

There is a Charlie McGeever principal of the Central technical institute in Clonmel where Ian Fahey goes to school so are they all in the same i wonder :)
    same man apparently.

Wow amazing its a possibility really. You'd go back a fair few years since that happened id say.

Its a killer watching 2 other teams in the All Ireland today but we'll only have a 12 month wait to get back there in my opinion. Now that we have a proper setup in place i think number 27 is sooner on the horizon then later.

ah well we could dream before hand anyways haha its hard enough beat kk on one day but when you use the same tactics it definately aint going to happen the next day as we found out and galway found out today but like you tipp gunner i cant wait until next year i really believe we could do something special next year it might be through blue n gold tinted glasses but dammit i dont care what a long winter this will be until we go again in jan raring to go already hope he brings in a good team around him and gets cian o neill to come back he has been involved in something like the last 4 or 5 all irelands between hurling and football(i stand to be corrected on this if wrong)in the years leading up to this year so the man must have something to him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ah well we could dream before hand anyways haha its hard enough beat kk on one day but when you use the same tactics it definately aint going to happen the next day as we found out and galway found out today but like you tipp gunner i cant wait until next year i really believe we could do something special next year it might be through blue n gold tinted glasses but dammit i dont care what a long winter this will be until we go again in jan raring to go already hope he brings in a good team around him and gets cian o neill to come back he has been involved in something like the last 4 or 5 all irelands between hurling and football(i stand to be corrected on this if wrong)in the years leading up to this year so the man must have something to him:)
    Wouldnt be as confident as you. one step at a time and all that
    Dont care about the early league games etc as dont look at hurling until the summer as following and playing rugby too much to look to hurling. As long as we're strong next may/june and are on an upward curve il be happy.
    Seeing in several places on twitter that both Eoin Kelly and John O Brien have retired. 2 greats but we need a new generation to build on and up to go and take on the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

O' Brien and Kelly? Ah say it ain't so.

Anyone watch the match today? Kilkenny dominating in their own trademarked style. Ridiculously good watch them play well. Going to take a lot for a team to topple them this season.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Wouldnt be as confident as you. one step at a time and all that
    Dont care about the early league games etc as dont look at hurling until the summer as following and playing rugby too much to look to hurling. As long as we're strong next may/june and are on an upward curve il be happy.
    Seeing in several places on twitter that both Eoin Kelly and John O Brien have retired. 2 greats but we need a new generation to build on and up to go and take on the best

well i care about the early league games and i care about the waterford crystal cup games and any that fall in between come to think of it any time i see blue and gold i care:P

O' Brien and Kelly? Ah say it ain't so.

Its bull, well at least it is for now anyhow according to Tipp GAA on twitter.

• Advertisement

well i care about the early league games and i care about the waterford crystal cup games and any that fall in between come to think of it any time i see blue and gold i care:P

Fair play. TBH ive come to the conclusion that the league and WC cup mean naff all as much as i like attending them.

If we win neither then its no biggy. I do think its important though we play well against Kilkenny and Galway next year in the league and make a statement of intent. Other then that its just building up games and a chance to see new players come into the side.

same man apparently.

Ha ha he got a mixed review on ratemyteacher.com anyhow :D

http://ie.ratemyteachers.com/charlie-mcgeever/55829-t

Thats grand but in the end due to the structure of the season they dont matter that much and as i follow rugby more i dont look to hurling/gaelic football in much detail until may when the rugby season is winding down
    Fair play. TBH ive come to the conclusion that the league and WC cup mean naff all as much as i like attending them.

If we win neither then its no biggy. I do think its important though we play well against Kilkenny and Galway next year in the league and make a statement of intent. Other then that its just building up games and a chance to see new players come into the side.
    yes exactly. the league isnt the main aim and is just a way of developing players and while building form is good due to the championship structure winning/doing really well in the league isnt a big deal as the vast vast majority of focus will be on game 1 of the munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Very impressive performance and a comfortable win for Tipp. Special word of congrats. to Bill Maher, John McGrath, Dylan Fitzelle and Steven O'Brien, first Tipperary players to win All Ireland Minor Football and Minor Hurling medals.
    Colm O'Riordan came onto the panel today and also qualifies. Im almost sure there is one or two other panellists.

Tom Kirwin

Tom Kirwan was on both panels all right, but he was not on the official 24 for the Football Final last year and I don't think he was on the team list as per programme yesterday either.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Thats grand but in the end due to the structure of the season they dont matter that much and as i follow rugby more i dont look to hurling/gaelic football in much detail until may when the rugby season is winding down

yes exactly. the league isnt the main aim and is just a way of developing players and while building form is good due to the championship structure winning/doing really well in the league isnt a big deal as the vast vast majority of focus will be on game 1 of the munster championship

ok now that we have established that rugby is your first choice sport hurling seems to be a poor 2nd:p how can you possibly say that you dont care if the team you support and not only support but where you are from doesnt win every competition it enters.yes some may see it as meaningless but thats alot down to the attitudes of people such as your self.why support a team and sport if your only interested in maybe 4 games a year

ok now that we have established that rugby is your first choice sport hurling seems to be a poor 2nd:p how can you possibly say that you dont care if the team you support and not only support but where you are from doesnt win every competition it enters.yes some may see it as meaningless but thats alot down to the attitudes of people such as your self.why support a team and sport if your only interested in maybe 4 games a year
    Hurling isnt a poor 2nd but due to the way the season is structured and the total focus on championship there is many in the county who dont care if tipp win/lose the league and only care about the munster and all ireland championships.
    I want tipp to win every game but im not bothered if league games are lost as long as what happens in may-september is good.
    That attitude is not down to people like myself. there is many heavily involved in the GAA(in their local clubs etc) with attitudes similar to mine.
    I want tipp to win and dont follow tipp as much as i should in the w crystal/national league as im playing/watching rugby when those games are on.
    Im interested in more than 4 games a year(FYI its not like i only go to big games-for example ive never been to an all ireland final and only go to games where the crowd is not likely to be monstrous and tickets are easy to get for example all ireland 1/4s, early rounds in qualifiers) and will look out for results in the league but in the main most tipp people dont care that much about the league and will state things like "oh its only the league its championship that only matters"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Well, with the appointment of Eamon O'Shea we've all been thrown a little bone of hope to chew on over the coming winter. Badly needed after the humiliation of our semi clash with KK. Hopefully, E. O'Shea will get an effective backroom team in place and restore some pride in the blue and gold of Tipperary.
    That, of course is down to the players as well. The difficulty facing our new manager is: does he try to get back to the 2010 style of play, will that be effective anymore? Haven't teams, especially KK, devised a way of dealing with the strategies O'Shea used to create space for speedy, skilful forwards to thrive in? Crowding, around the midfield/ halfback/ half-forward lines seems to be the way to go now. Kill space, withdraw the corner forwards. So much for the old shout from the mentors of years gone: 'Jaysus lads, yeer bunching, fffs will ye spread out!'
    Bunching and crowding are encouraged nowadays and big brawny six-foor plus forwards will be the ideal if this continues. It's as if Big Jack's mantra: 'Put 'em under pressure' has been generally adopted in hurling and perfected, with spectacular results, by Cody in particular.
    So, I, for one, can't wait for next year to come to see how Eamon O'Shea will approach the challenge of redeeming Tipperary's reputation in the hurling world - it's mud at the moment - and use his hurling brain to devise some way of keeping ahead of Cork, Limerick and Clare in Munster. And who knows, maybe getting a chance to derail KK's mission for next year: another three in a row, and Celtic cross number 10 for Henry?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Well done to the minors some serious talent coming through there and hopefully we'll see one or two of them brought into the panel quickly this year coming.
    Well done to Kilkenny also, as much as it pains me to say it, they out hurled everyone this year. At the end of the day, that's what they do no matter what tactics you employ you have to out hurl Kilkenny, I think it's what we did in 2010 and I have a good feeling that's what we'll do next year. We remain the only team in my opinion with the ability to outhurl Kilkenny - Galway were good and tactically had the better of Kilkenny for a game and a half but Kilkenny were always the better hurlers.

I think E O S will bring us back to pure hurling, don't mind this standing up to them physically etc., speed and skill is the way to go. I think we lost track of that in the last year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well done to the minors some serious talent coming through there and hopefully we'll see one or two of them brought into the panel quickly this year coming.

I wouldn't agree with bringing any of these guys in just yet, far too early for that, Bab's did it with Tomas Stapelton and Pa Burke off the 2006 team and it wasn't uintil this year they were able to make any real impact, people will reference Joe Canning and Eoin Kelly but they truley were the exception rather than the norm, there will be plenty of time for these lads.

Advertisement