Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Football has come on a lot in Tipperary over the past few years. I was wondering what way does the Senior Football Championship work in Tipp. Is it a knockout one maybe with a first round loosers group, is it a league, played in the divisions or what. Also what stage of the championship is it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Black Suir wrote: »
    Football has come on a lot in Tipperary over the past few years. I was wondering what way does the Senior Football Championship work in Tipp. Is it a knockout one maybe with a first round loosers group, is it a league, played in the divisions or what. Also what stage of the championship is it at this point.

Its run as two seperate competitions as in a county championship knockout and the divisional championships, the county is played down to four and then you have the 4 divisional champions which makes up the last 8.

If you win your divisional title and make the last four in the county you have effectively qualified for two quarter finals so automatically advance to the semi (Loughmore have already done this this year).

Tom Kirwin

That's right. Tom is an excellent footballer and a good tough hurler. Was fairly young on last years football panel also.

I wouldn't agree with bringing any of these guys in just yet, far too early for that, Bab's did it with Tomas Stapelton and Pa Burke off the 2006 team and it wasn't uintil this year they were able to make any real impact, people will reference Joe Canning and Eoin Kelly but they truley were the exception rather than the norm, there will be plenty of time for these lads.

Dont forget though that Padraic, Brendan, Noel played in the minor final in 2007 and have appeared in 3 all ireland finals since in 09,10,11. Very close to winning in 2009 also. It can be done with the right coaching. Richie Power, Cha Fitzpatrick etc became integral to Kilkenny's cause not long after finishing at minor level either.

So if the management setup is right then there is no reason why they cant make the step up. Tomas Hamill is a big man and if he was given a gym program over the winter and a few games in the league then i think he could be one to make an impact next year. Tom Fox and Tadhg Gallagher are also both big men. Of course for up and coming dual players especially there is a strong case for burnout risk but Eamon O'Shea and Peter Creedon are two sensible and smart men who will no doubt sit down and talk about the best option available to utilise these players.

Well, with the appointment of Eamon O'Shea we've all been thrown a little bone of hope to chew on over the coming winter. Badly needed after the humiliation of our semi clash with KK. Hopefully, E. O'Shea will get an effective backroom team in place and restore some pride in the blue and gold of Tipperary.
    That, of course is down to the players as well. The difficulty facing our new manager is: does he try to get back to the 2010 style of play, will that be effective anymore? Haven't teams, especially KK, devised a way of dealing with the strategies O'Shea used to create space for speedy, skilful forwards to thrive in? Crowding, around the midfield/ halfback/ half-forward lines seems to be the way to go now. Kill space, withdraw the corner forwards. So much for the old shout from the mentors of years gone: 'Jaysus lads, yeer bunching, fffs will ye spread out!'
    Bunching and crowding are encouraged nowadays and big brawny six-foor plus forwards will be the ideal if this continues. It's as if Big Jack's mantra: 'Put 'em under pressure' has been generally adopted in hurling and perfected, with spectacular results, by Cody in particular.
    So, I, for one, can't wait for next year to come to see how Eamon O'Shea will approach the challenge of redeeming Tipperary's reputation in the hurling world - it's mud at the moment - and use his hurling brain to devise some way of keeping ahead of Cork, Limerick and Clare in Munster. And who knows, maybe getting a chance to derail KK's mission for next year: another three in a row, and Celtic cross number 10 for Henry?

Im not so sure Kilkenny have really done anything different to their traditional style in the long illustrious Cody era except maybe continually reiterate the importance of work rate. I don't necessarily agree with keeping the play too narrow. I mean its cheques and balances really. Wherever there is an extra man helping out then there is a man unmarked on the other side unless its 16, 17 or 18 and so on against 15 so in effect there is no such thing as closing space.

The big question regards how you use the ball when there is two men fighting to get it off you and can you make the pass to a man in space? For Tipp this year there was no one making themselves available for a lay off. Bonnar aside there was no long runs toward goal. The linkage play was non existant. Tipp have a better age profile then Kilkenny but due to some of the utter ridiculousness of our training regime this year we looked more like the old men and Kilkenny more like the young lads.

Dont forget also Kilkenny have conceded 7 goals against Galway this year so i wouldn't be totally convinced that their defence is impregnable and i feel Herity their goalkeeper is very uncertain when he has to come out.

Kilkenny i salute them as been the finest side to grace the game but i feel they are beatable and no better man to find chinks in their armour then Eamon O'Shea

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Thats grand but in the end due to the structure of the season they dont matter that much and as i follow rugby more i dont look to hurling/gaelic football in much detail until may when the rugby season is winding down

yes exactly. the league isnt the main aim and is just a way of developing players and while building form is good due to the championship structure winning/doing really well in the league isnt a big deal as the vast vast majority of focus will be on game 1 of the munster championship

Your spot on. Galway lost to Kilkenny by 25 points in the league this year but when it really mattered they beat them in leinster, drew with them and while they lost the replay i think its fair to say Galway have made serious progress. Dublin won the league in 2011 and have flattered to deceive since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Any truth in cian o'neill coming on board? Jesus if its true it seems to be getting better as the weeks go by.....always believed in the "committee" wink wink...

Any truth in cian o'neill coming on board? Jesus if its true it seems to be getting better as the weeks go by.....always believed in the "committee" wink wink...

O'Neill would be a huge boost and he knows the setup. I hope it happens. Its a huge step in the right direction if so.

:D As for the famous 9 though there's no doubt they'll take most of the credit for the developments but in all fairness i dont know who they think they are kidding if they are trying to convince us it took 9 men to get O'Shea back. 4 or 5 fair enough but 9??? Trying to spread the blame game as far and wide as possible no doubt if it was an appointment that could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Excellent news if true.

• Advertisement

Dont forget though that Padraic, Brendan, Noel played in the minor final in 2007 and have appeared in 3 all ireland finals since in 09,10,11. Very close to winning in 2009 also. It can be done with the right coaching. Richie Power, Cha Fitzpatrick etc became integral to Kilkenny's cause not long after finishing at minor level either.

So if the management setup is right then there is no reason why they cant make the step up. Tomas Hamill is a big man and if he was given a gym program over the winter and a few games in the league then i think he could be one to make an impact next year. Tom Fox and Tadhg Gallagher are also both big men. Of course for up and coming dual players especially there is a strong case for burnout risk but Eamon O'Shea and Peter Creedon are two sensible and smart men who will no doubt sit down and talk about the best option available to utilise these players.

Paraic Maher and Brendan Maher served a year with the u-21's tbf and Noel McGrath was a bit of an exception I mean in 2006 he lead Loughmore to a munster title and he was their leader, he was really the exception rather than the norm, also both Brendan and Noel have had two very very ordinary years since 2010, and were probalbly only making the 15 last year on name and reputation.

With regards to this years team, I like Hamill, but worry he may lack genuine pace for intercounty hurling, maybe he might be a longterm solution to our full back problem ( as in we havent had decent cover there in living memory), Tom Fox was impressive in hte semi final and Sunday but he wasn't even part of thje team during the Munster championship, lets see how he does against Thurles Sunday, that will be a real test. Tadgh Gallagher is not a big man at all lightening fast but not a real physical presence. The ones I think that will make it off that minor team are Jack Peters, Sean Maher, Dylan Fitzelle and possibly Ronan Maher and John McGrath.

Dont forget also Kilkenny have conceded 7 goals against Galway this year so i wouldn't be totally convinced that their defence is impregnable and i feel Herity their goalkeeper is very uncertain when he has to come out.

Kilkenny i salute them as been the finest side to grace the game but i feel they are beatable and no better man to find chinks in their armour then Eamon O'Shea

Couldn't agree more Gunner, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that KK are on the slide and in a way thats what makes this years semi all hte more galling.

Also remember that Galway scored alot of those goals when they were playing one and two forwards! Herity is very poor to be fair Paul Murphy and Kieran Joyce aside the other backs have seen better days.

Couldn't agree more Gunner, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that KK are on the slide and in a way thats what makes this years semi all hte more galling.

Also remember that Galway scored alot of those goals when they were playing one and two forwards! Herity is very poor to be fair Paul Murphy and Kieran Joyce aside the other backs have seen better days.

For the love of me i cant understand why we couldnt have let Jackie Tyrell follow Lar instead of that negative rubbish we deployed. If Lar was between midfield and the half forward line and got the perfect low ball he could then turn Tyrell then Kilkenny were in all sorts of bother as Tyrell is not fast. He is strong and hard but id have no doubt Lar even approaching 31 would beat him in a sprint.

Was it JJ who was beaten ends up on the edge of the square on Sunday for the first goal? Galway frustrated me a bit because there was goals to be got there and Joe Canning was all over the field in every place bar where he is actually dangerous. A huge big high ball down on Brian Hogan is a waste of time. You want a good low ball at maximum chest high delivered in to your forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Was at a great game of hurling on Saturday, the U-16 County Final between Drom&Inch and Nenagh
    Not being a local I could not name individual players who played well, but both teams had some excellent players that I'm sure will grace the minor team in the next year or two

Just 2 observations, I thought it was bad form that a county final did not have neutral linesmen.
    Things got a bit heated during the second half and there was a bit of a scuffle between players, mentors and supporters. I would have thought that a final would be played in a field with a fence between the supporters and the field

Overall though a really enjoyable game, great entertainment for €5

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Was at a great game of hurling on Saturday, the U-16 County Final between Drom&Inch and Nenagh
    Not being a local I could not name individual players who played well, but both teams had some excellent players that I'm sure will grace the minor team in the next year or two

Just 2 observations, I thought it was bad form that a county final did not have neutral linesmen.
    Things got a bit heated during the second half and there was a bit of a scuffle between players, mentors and supporters. I would have thought that a final would be played in a field with a fence between the supporters and the field

Overall though a really enjoyable game, great entertainment for €5

Two excellent teams indeed and incidently the Drom team are almost entirely u-15 so should be really hard to stop next year.

The lack of linesmen for a county final was a disgrace, I have heard alot of people blaming the referee, but afaik its actually the county juvenile board who were responsible for appointing independent linesmen. Templederry stand is pretty much on top of the field alright and that didnt help, it was a real pity that this incident spoilt what was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Wins in the Intermediate Football Quarter Finals last night for Moyle Rovers, Cashel and Upperchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Bourke, Cahill, Padraic Maher, Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath, and O' Meara received nominations for All-Stars.

You would have to say that we got more nominations than were deserved on performances this year.

Bourke, Cahill, Padraic Maher, Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath, and O' Meara received nominations for All-Stars.

How in gods name Noel McGrath was nominated is beyond me. He had a very poor season by his standards.

I heard eamon Corcoran and Declan fanning on the management team ..... Looking good now if true!!

• Advertisement

So lads its limerick in limerick in the semi final next year for the start of our munster championship, at least we didn't get another 1/4 final berth, limerick will be looking forward to this after the first round of the munster championship this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

How in gods name Noel McGrath was nominated is beyond me. He had a very poor season by his standards.

Only worthy Tipp nominees, in my opinion, are Mickey Cahill and Pa Bourke... not sure about 'Bonner' Maher' he missed a lot of the year, but certainly lit up a couple of games. Thought Cummins might have sneaked in there, certainly ahead of young Nash, I thought. Think we'll do well to get one All-Star, probably Pa Bourke.
    Amazed that N.McGrath got a nomination. He and Brendan Maher -who should have got HOTY in 2010 in my opinion - have not distinguished themselves for Tipp in the past two seasons, although playing well for their clubs.

Maybe E.O'Shea will be able to rejuvenate them - or a period on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Kerry in the football again, bloody hell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is it just possible that all the Munster Championship Hurling games will be played in Thurles next year? I hope so!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is it just possible that all the Munster Championship Hurling games will be played in Thurles next year? I hope so!

na fairly sure its down 2 that kip thats the gaelic grounds:pwhat were they thinkn putting a pylon in the middle of a terrace long stroll from town out there to

From play he's scored 15 points, nearing an average of 4 a game and good for seventh in the championship. His point scoring has been efficient as well. Points wise it's been his best since 2009. I've no clue what the precedent for selecting AS is, maybe they like his point haul. But if that's the case they'd have to consider the majority of the Limerick forward line: Dowling, Moran, Mulcahy, and Hannon. Limerick's games versus the Antrim and Laois really inflated their scores.
    limerick will be looking forward to this after the first round of the munster championship this year....

Absolutely. If it wasn't for the defenders copping on and Ryan emptying a strong bench, we could have lost that game. The experience of the hard games and eventual loss to Kilkenny will surely help them in the long run.
    Only worthy Tipp nominees, in my opinion, are Mickey Cahill and Pa Bourke...

I thought it was a bit of an off year for Cahill but he got better and better. Just looked indisciplined at times. But he's a warrior, he played in every Tipp game last season, league and championship. Actually since his debut vs. Cork in 2010 he hasn't missed a championship game nor has he been subbed, if I'm reading correctly - a stat that's very underrated.

Pa scored 2-5 from play and a further 24 from placed balls. Maybe he's getting in on that? It's really hard to say.
    Amazed that N.McGrath got a nomination. He and Brendan Maher -who should have got HOTY in 2010 in my opinion - have not distinguished themselves for Tipp in the past two seasons, although playing well for their clubs.

Yeah it was a shame Maher seemed to regress a little. Shane McGrath didn't even get games at the start but I thought he played hard late on. I'd rather see that midfield partnership than either with Woodlock, he looked out of his depth and went missing for games.

Speaking of Shane McGrath, he's gone off on this massive world tour thing and I think he mentioned he'll be back in a year, will he make it into the year if he goes for that long? Or I've misinterpreted it all!

That would be class!

No it's our turn to travel over the border ..... What a siht hole of a stadium, but look at least it's not cork again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No it's our turn to travel over the border ..... What a siht hole of a stadium, but look at least it's not cork again.
    It's good we didn't get Cork again and also good that we got a semi spot for a change,the pitch in Limerick is an awful lot better than it was a few years ago but getting out of the place is still a bit of a nightmare.

Just watching some highlights of Cork/Tipp championship match.

The score from 6:41 is probably one of my favourites. Bonner flies through the air, grabs the ball, gets off the ground, passes to O' Brien who deftly lays it to Corbett and Larry sets up Noel McGrath for the goal. I could watch that over and over. Lovely fluid style of play there.

• Advertisement

Kerry in the 1st Round for the 4th year in a row. FFS, this is gone beyond a joke at this stage. The Munster Council Chairman and Secretary really have it in for Tipp!!!.

Advertisement