Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Just watching some highlights of Cork/Tipp championship match.

The score from 6:41 is probably one of my favourites. Bonner flies through the air, grabs the ball, gets off the ground, passes to O' Brien who deftly lays it to Corbett and Larry sets up Noel McGrath for the goal. I could watch that over and over. Lovely fluid style of play there.

luvly point from buggy before that to:)

Kerry in the 1st Round for the 4th year in a row. FFS, this is gone beyond a joke at this stage. The Munster Council Chairman and Secretary really have it in for Tipp!!!.

yeah would have been nice to play waterford first with the winners then playing kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I heard eamon Corcoran and Declan fanning on the management team ..... Looking good now if true!!

Corcoran has already publicly ruled himself out a few times quoting work commitments, lack of experience and the fact he has just become a father for the first time.
    Speaking of Shane McGrath, he's gone off on this massive world tour thing and I think he mentioned he'll be back in a year, will he make it into the year if he goes for that long? Or I've misinterpreted it all!

Shane McGrath will be back the 21st of December, currently in Rio having a ball.

Corcoran has already publicly ruled himself out a few times quoting work commitments, lack of experience and the fact he has just become a father for the first time.

Shane McGrath will be back the 21st of December, currently in Rio having a ball.

i hope thats a sliothar ball:phahaha

Kerry in the 1st Round for the 4th year in a row. FFS, this is gone beyond a joke at this stage. The Munster Council Chairman and Secretary really have it in for Tipp!!!.

Tipp were unlucky this year against Kerry and Creedon had little time to prepare the team. I personally believe that in order to gauge your progress you must play against the better teams such as Kerry. Id imagine a few of our minor winning team from 2011 may make their debut so it will be interesting to see how they get on. I think the likes of Ian Fahey and Michael Quinlivan will want to test themselves against the best players and will learn loads from it.

I suppose its not ideal for such repetitive draws to occur but thats the way it is. We drove alot of wides last year that would have won us the game. This year can we close the gap further from the 6 point deficit? Would be great if Barry Grogan could return to help our cause. I for one dont object to playing Kerry. The days of us getting hidings are long gone and sooner or later i think we will beat Kerry at Senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My sentiments exactly, are we being held down or what. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but like you said this has gone beyond a joke.

My sentiments exactly, are we being held down or what. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but like you said this has gone beyond a joke.

No matter who is involved i do not like repetitive draws season on season. But i believe Tipp need to be positive and play to win.

Just watching some highlights of Cork/Tipp championship match.

The score from 6:41 is probably one of my favourites.

It's because of moments of magic like 6.41 and the overall performance on the banks of the lee that day that i thought that we had turned a corner and were going to mount a serious challenge in 2012. Instead we were made a laughing stock out of by our own management. Its quite incredible they've even managed to put the 2010 victory in question and all the hard work that was put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Can anyone shed light on Seamus Callanan?

I was watching the 2011 AI Final tonight, he played about 30 minutes before being subbed. How did he go from playing in roughly 15 championship matches, scoring 8-33 (all from play) in four years and only feature twice this season and scoring just a point? He looks like he has the physical attributes, he's tall and strong looking, similar to Noel McGrath if I'm not mistaken/misinterpreting.

How come he doesn't play/feature any more? Has he hit a wall, injury, regressed, or lost his place? Give me your knowledge Boardsies, this sport is fantastic and I'm still learning everything I can.

Can anyone shed light on Seamus Callanan?

I was watching the 2011 AI Final tonight, he played about 30 minutes before being subbed. How did he go from playing in roughly 15 championship matches, scoring 8-33 (all from play) in four years and only feature twice this season and scoring just a point? He looks like he has the physical attributes, he's tall and strong looking, similar to Noel McGrath if I'm not mistaken/misinterpreting.

How come he doesn't play/feature any more? Has he hit a wall, injury, regressed, or lost his place? Give me your knowledge Boardsies, this sport is fantastic and I'm still learning everything I can.

Combination of things really. He has had injuries two consecutive winters, however for a man of his physique and talent he just doesnt get stuck in enough. Dont forget he was dropped under Sheedy in 2010 also for this reason but when he was introduced in the final his attitude had changed for the better. Added to his 2 crucial scores he even darted back 80 yards to get a block in. The next two years, the laid back Seamus seen a laid back manager who wasnt involved enough in team affairs and that sent out the wrong message both to him and Noel McGrath.

There is no doubt he is talented but his attitude and work rate are questionable. That all said he should have seen more game time this year but that could have been due to an alleged incident with Declan Ryan's brother in Thurles.
    Next year he has a fresh start and he really needs to start copping on and taking the bull by the horns or before he knows it his intercounty career will be over and he will have to live with alot of regret. He is a super super talent and unmarkable on his day. He is one of the best ive seen to ghost in for a goal and as cool a finisher as you'll get.

• Advertisement

You should be working for Eamon O' Shea, tipp_Gunner. Wealth of information.

Another lovely passage of play here. Why can't we not play this style more often? Doesn't work all the time but it's better than bombing it down the field. Smart and stylish.

From 5:36, Maher to Bonner who picks a lovely pass to Corbett who brilliantly sets up Pa Bourke for the great goal.

(We've no more inter-county hurling and I can't get to Thurles for club games so I'm consoling myself by hitting YouTube and picking out the best moments of games. :pac:)

You should be working for Eamon O' Shea, tipp_Gunner. Wealth of information.

Thanks for the compliment :) but compared to premierstone who contributes here often or looder who used to post regularly amongst a few others id say ive a long way to go.

Another lovely passage of play here. Why can't we not play this style more often? Doesn't work all the time but it's better than bombing it down the field. Smart and stylish.

From 5:36, Maher to Bonner who picks a lovely pass to Corbett who brilliantly sets up Pa Bourke for the great goal.

I couldnt agree more. That long game is daft tbh. Will work effectively where you have a big man like Aisake O'Hailpin or Henry Shefflin at the end of it marking a poor or a young and inexperienced back man but i notice often that its really effective when you afford the likes of Tommy Walsh the time and space to look up and pick out a man or like Waterford allowed Padraic Maher to do in the Munster final 2011.

Now dont get me wrong i dont advocate following the wing back around like our three bright sparks on the line did in August :) but i definately think that when they do get the ball that its the wing forwards job to make it as difficult as possible for him ala Bonnar Maher 2010. Make him clear it in desperation rather then opportunity.

The worrying thing is that the management had the long direct game as plan A with no plan B the last two years. Plan B was adapted only by the players who decided to shake off the brainless tactical strait jacket applied by the management.

Alot of the Limerick faithful (Tom Ryan, Richie Bennis, et al) are critical but im a big fan of Donal O'Grady's short ball style. It wont work in every game and every pass has to be accurate but i think Kilkenny find it more difficult to deal with then the long ball game which suits their backs down to a tee.

Movement is always a good thing but the downside to it was last week when Joe Canning was everywhere yet had little impact on a game that was made for him.
    Had Joe went on the edge of the square i think JJ looked uncomfortable there. Galway withdrew their half forward line out too far and left a huge area between them and the full forwards. KK dominated in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Thurles Sarsfields (easily) and Drom-Inch (after extra time) through to the Senior Hurling Final. Big result in Senior Football. Arravale Rovers beat Moyle Rovers 1-12 to 1-11. Senior Football Championship wide open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

I heard eamon Corcoran and Declan fanning on the management team ..... Looking good now if true!!

Talking of the management team. Just read some interesting comments from Cian O'Neill, our former fitness coach, who departed the Tipp set-up in the fall-out after the defeat against the Cats in the 2011 final.
    He's finished with Mayo and has quashed rumours that he was going to Kerry. Said he has a serious back problem following a car accident two years ago which led to the removal of two discs in his back. Said the round trip to Mayo nearly killed him. For that reason he would not get involved with Kerry - BUT - would consider working with a team closer to home, which for him is UL.
    Thurles ain't that far from Limerick.
    Wouldn't be surprised if he links up with E.O'Shea again.
    Think I read it on Hogan Stand - or maybe it was the score.ie!!

Talking of the management team. Just read some interesting comments from Cian O'Neill, our former fitness coach, who departed the Tipp set-up in the fall-out after the defeat against the Cats in the 2011 final.
    He's finished with Mayo and has quashed rumours that he was going to Kerry. Said he has a serious back problem following a car accident two years ago which led to the removal of two discs in his back. Said the round trip to Mayo nearly killed him. For that reason he would not get involved with Kerry - BUT - would consider working with a team closer to home, which for him is UL.
    Thurles ain't that far from Limerick.
    Wouldn't be surprised if he links up with E.O'Shea again.
    Think I read it on Hogan Stand - or maybe it was the score.ie!!

Well he done it for 4 seasons so id imagine distance wasn't an issue but the dynamic allegedly changed in 2011 and i hear that O'Neill felt his input wasn't valued in some quarters.

I feel bad for Mayo to miss out on such expertise in 2013 so id love if they could continue his good work up there with his successor and reach the promised land.

County final will be interesting. Drom v Sars for the 3rd final since 2005. I think Drom could take this one. There is almost an 'old firm-like' duopoly (at a stretch trio-poly) creeping into Tipp club hurling though and the powers that be need to address it.
    Not having a go at Drom, Sars, Loughmore, etc and i have no complaints they are there because they deserve to be, but considering the amount of senior teams in the county we have yet only 3 or 4 teams at max in the running each year is a real worry.

North Tipp no longer seems to have a viable challenger and in the South you have 5 teams, 2 of which, the Carrick teams, are in an urbanised area, and these teams need to start looking at why they cant mount a reasonable challenge. Killenaule are another club failing to deceive and Ballingarry have really declined considering they have been in the senior ranks for so long now.

Mullinahone never kicked on from 2002 and the fringe players from that era didnt amount to anything. When Pat Croke, Brian O'Meara, Eddie Carey, etc, retired the club didnt fill their void and alot of the scoring burden falls on Eoin Kelly and Sean Curran these times. Its not good enough really. The only silver lining for them is that they have a few minors coming through the ranks.

As for the West, would Éire Óg Annacarthy have been even there today if they hadnt met a team who seen no action in 9 weeks? Clonoulty to be fair to them have been knocking on the door the last few years but 2012 has really let them down considering the promise they've shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Thurles Sarsfields (easily) and Drom-Inch (after extra time) through to the Senior Hurling Final. Big result in Senior Football. Arravale Rovers beat Moyle Rovers 1-12 to 1-11. Senior Football Championship wide open now.

Thomas mcdonaghs after winning the north football championship today they'll take beaten, they have a pick of 9 clubs, killenaule walked the south and loughmore are always handy, it's about time arravale played to there potential after been in the last few u21A finals.

Thomas mcdonaghs after winning the north football championship today they'll take beaten, they have a pick of 9 clubs, killenaule walked the south and loughmore are always handy, it's about time arravale played to there potential after been in the last few u21A finals.

Think its probably time for the county board to look at that situation if the Macs goes on to win the county for the second year in a row.

Perhaps split Macs and Kenyons into 4 combos for 2013. 9 clubs while good to start off experimentally with is perhaps a little too much going forward.

Killenaule could be a surprise package this year. They have Decky Fanning, Tony Doyle, Paddy Codd, Greg Henry, John Feehan, Matt O'Donnell all with intercounty experience and thats before you mention Bubbles Dwyer who was motm with 5 points from play in the South final.
    They fail to deceive in the hurling year in year out but becoming a serious force in the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I see Jason forde is walking silvermines to the county intermediate final, seems to be scoring for fun scoring 2-9 against st Mary's in the semi final, hopefully he can keep this form up but he's played a lot of hurling over the last few years all ready.

i see the league fixtures are out 2 sat night games under the lights and a trip to galway lovely stuff the tingles are starting mon tipp does anyone know when the fixtures for the waterford cyrstal cup games are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Think its probably time for the county board to look at that situation if the Macs goes on to win the county for the second year in a row.

Perhaps split Macs and Kenyons into 4 combos for 2013. 9 clubs while good to start off experimentally with is perhaps a little too much going forward.

Killenaule could be a surprise package this year. They have Decky Fanning, Tony Doyle, Paddy Codd, Greg Henry, John Feehan, Matt O'Donnell all with intercounty experience and thats before you mention Bubbles Dwyer who was motm with 5 points from play in the South final.
    They fail to deceive in the hurling year in year out but becoming a serious force in the football.
    Dont think splitting mac donaghs and kenyons is a good idea. only 2 sides is needed. Would there be enough interest in the north clubs for more than 2 senior football sides? IMO no there isnt.
    I know this isnt a perfect contrast but the South Kerry combo side is made up of 9 clubs. the amount of clubs fielding in the 1 combo side is enough at the moment
    I see Jason forde is walking silvermines to the county intermediate final, seems to be scoring for fun scoring 2-9 against st Mary's in the semi final, hopefully he can keep this form up but he's played a lot of hurling over the last few years all ready.
    plenty of time on his side. would be good to see him involved with some tipp side over the next year or two

ormond lad wrote: »
    Dont think splitting mac donaghs and kenyons is a good idea. only 2 sides is needed. Would there be enough interest in the north clubs for more than 2 senior football sides? IMO no there isnt.
    I know this isnt a perfect contrast but the South Kerry combo side is made up of 9 clubs. the amount of clubs fielding in the 1 combo side is enough at the moment

plenty of time on his side. would be good to see him involved with some tipp side over the next year or two

If they start to dominate then its something they'll have to look at i feel. Kenyons in fairness havent made their mark yet but i think the Mcdonaghs situation will have to be monitored closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

If they start to dominate then its something they'll have to look at i feel. Kenyons in fairness havent made their mark yet but i think the Mcdonaghs situation will have to be monitored closely.

While there are 9 clubs eligble there are only 5 represented on the panel, same last year dont think it will be a major issue tbh they are not as strong as last year think this years title will be fought out between Kilenaule, loughmore and possibly Arravale

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

It will be an all Mid Tipp Intermediate Football Final this year. In today's Semi Finals, Moycarkey beat Moyle Rovers by 3-6 to 0-13 and Upperchurch beat Cashel by 2-10 to 1-9 (aet). As the winners of the Intermediate County Final will be promoted to Senior ranks next year, ther will be 4 Senior Football clubs in Mid Tipp next year for the first time in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Surprised Moycarkey beat Rovers,fair play to them.

Silvermines won the 2012 IH championships. Jason Forde MOTM with 1-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Great to see the standard of football in Mid Tipp improving!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Congrats to Thurles Sarsfields!

Advertisement