Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

Congrats to Thurles Sarsfields!

Humdinger of a final. Really exciting stuff. My man of the match was Johnny Ryan. He kept Drom in that game. Aidan McCormack who scored 1-6 was close second and Padraic Maher was immense also. Seamus Callanan came to life near the end but too little too late Seamus.

Lar Corbett... I hate to slate the man for all he done for Tipperary hurling but he cut a very sorry sight on the field today. His whole body language, his clear lack of any real effort, his sluggishness...well it leaves an awful lot of question marks about Lar's future in hurling going forward. This was just a bit more then an off day. He didnt look one bit interested. He can shout his teammates esp Aidan McCormack a few free pints in his pub tonight because they got him over the line and his fourth county medal but tbh Lar really needs to do a bit of soul searching and ask how much more can he honestly give to the game.

The decision to bring him back to the intercounty fold next year could have been well taken out of his hands today. Eamon O'Shea is a man for movement and workrate and Lar had neither on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Seamus Callanan came to life near the end but too little too late Seamus.

I thought Michael Cahill was very good marking him. It was an intriguing match up so I focused on that quite a bit. Callanan did well at times but Cahill was all over him. I'd lose the rag if someone like that covered me well. Callanan scored 1-2 with Cahill marking him. Efficient defending I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Looking at the County players/prospects, Michael Cahill was excelent for Sarsfields; Padraic Maher good also, if not at the levels of 2010; Pa Bourke quiet sfter a good start; Lar Corbett awful; Aidan McCormack good and with another year at Under 21 is a prospect down the road. For Drom Johnny Ryan was outstanding; Seamus Callinan took a long time to get into the game and was well held by Cahill. David Butler disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Looking at the County players/prospects, Michael Cahill was exceleent for Sarsfields; Padraic Maher good also, if not at the levels of 2010; Pa Bourke quiet sfter a good start; Lar Corbett awful; Aidan McCormack good and with another year at Under 21 is a prospect down the road. For Drom Johnny Ryan was outstanding; Seamus Callinan took a long time to get into the game and was well held by Cahill. David Butler disappointing.

Padraic Maher had a reasonably good second half, but is a long way from his best.
    I was surprised how often he got blocked in the first half, didnt seem to try and burst out with the ball as he normally does.

Humdinger of a final. Really exciting stuff. My man of the match was Johnny Ryan. He kept Drom in that game. Aidan McCormack who scored 1-6 was close second and Padraic Maher was immense also. Seamus Callanan came to life near the end but too little too late Seamus.

Lar Corbett... I hate to slate the man for all he done for Tipperary hurling but he cut a very sorry sight on the field today. His whole body language, his clear lack of any real effort, his sluggishness...well it leaves an awful lot of question marks about Lar's future in hurling going forward. This was just a bit more then an off day. He didnt look one bit interested. He can shout his teammates esp Aidan McCormack a few free pints in his pub tonight because they got him over the line and his fourth county medal but tbh Lar really needs to do a bit of soul searching and ask how much more can he honestly give to the game.

The decision to bring him back to the intercounty fold next year could have been well taken out of his hands today. Eamon O'Shea is a man for movement and workrate and Lar had neither on show.

Absolute cracker of a final. The quality of the scoring was serious. You wouldn't see scores like the first ten in an inter-county match.
    Ya Lar was poor, but I have rarely seen him play well for Sars.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Absolute cracker of a final. The quality of the scoring was serious. You wouldn't see scores like the first ten in an inter-county match.
    Ya Lar was poor, but I have rarely seen him play well for Sars.

True enough but there is not playing well and then there is not putting in any effort at all. Ive defended Lar all the way but i cant defend yesterdays performance. Quite frankly the Sars management took off the wrong Corbett and im amazed he played the whole game. I realise he put in alot of sacrifices and training but then more then ever does he need to shake a leg and do himself justice. As it was, he let his teammates, his management, and his supporters down big time. The way he is going he could well retire from the game with a huge question mark over his overall contribution which would be a tragedy.
    Padraic Maher had a reasonably good second half, but is a long way from his best.
    I was surprised how often he got blocked in the first half, didnt seem to try and burst out with the ball as he normally does.

Johnny Ryan did score 6 points from play off Padraic true enough but i thought he cleared a world of ball especially when the game was in the melting pot.
    I thought Michael Cahill was very good marking him. It was an intriguing match up so I focused on that quite a bit. Callanan did well at times but Cahill was all over him. I'd lose the rag if someone like that covered me well. Callanan scored 1-2 with Cahill marking him. Efficient defending I think.

I forgotten about Mickey Cahill. He is a terrific hurler and was absolutely mustard yesterday. We have few around that can take a game by the scruff of the neck but he is definitely one. He ruled with an iron fist. That said, when Seamus is in a battle he backs out. For a man of 6'3 he needs to get more involved.
    David Butler disappointing.

I thought David Butler was ok. Probably Drom's 2nd best player. He badly lacks mobility and needs to shed a few lbs though because if he could he could be a fantastic prospect. He has some excellent touches. Scored 1-1.
    His brother (or is it cousin?) Seamus was very quiet.

Droms full back line were very good and Eddie Costello in particular was a big loss when he went off. He held his line and it would seem McCormack got his scores when he drifted back a little bit nearer to the wing forward position. Kevin Butler was reasonably solid against Denis Maher. Michael O'Brien had a decent game but to be fair i couldn't fault Michael Costello's performance either.

Did anyone thing Padraic Maher looked a little stiff/slow yesterday? He had some fine clearances and a lovely point but he looked sluggish at times?

On another note, that Sarsfields jersey is magnificent. Smashing looking.

Did anyone thing Padraic Maher looked a little stiff/slow yesterday? He had some fine clearances and a lovely point but he looked sluggish at times?

Yeah maybe the effects of a long hard season are taking its toll. He was pretty much involved even in the early challenges back last January for Tipp.

Sars jersey is lovely. Its basically a Royal Blue version of the Limerick design. Tipp should have adopted something similar albeit with a yellow band which i think UCC may have the same template The one we have not bad in fairness but give me classic over modern any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Padraic Maher was injured yesterday and under the circumstances it was a very very good performance.

Johnny Ryan did score 6 points from play off Padraic true enough but i thought he cleared a world of ball especially when the game was in the melting pot.

Johnny Ryan was playing in Midfield, Padraic Maher was marking James Woodlock and beat him fairly comprehensively to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Enjoyed the county final yesterday, sar's looked a good unit, taught Cahill shackled seamie very well, seamie will have to really up he's game for the county next year or he'll be left on the shelve, it'll be a waste of a great talent!! Sar's should take care of killmallock went to limerick for there county final and while it was a decent match I think sar's have to much in the tank for them.

Johnny Ryan was playing in Midfield, Padraic Maher was marking James Woodlock and beat him fairly comprehensively to be fair.

Yeah i was thinking they didnt exactly play were they were named. Ryan seemed to be a further distance then the 40 taking those scores. It was only later on that i copped Ryan was named to mark Maher but in modern day hurling there is such alot of movement in a game that it never works out that way.

Padraic Maher was injured yesterday and under the circumstances it was a very very good performance.

Makes sense. I saw a bandage/tape on his leg. Still, now knowing it was injury he played well. Not taking that away from him.

Ah, that explains it. Yes in those circumstances it was a very good performance.
    I was wondering, because a few times especially in the first half, where he would normally barrel out with balls, he was clearing on the back foot and being blocked.

He did indeed, epitomized by that block in the second half.

It's a shame we didn't get our hands on cian o'neill ...

It's a shame we didn't get our hands on cian o'neill ...

Did he go for Kerry in the end then?

In other news it seems a Clonmel native Paudie O'Neill is set for a selectors role alongside O'Shea. Wouldnt know much about him but it seems he has the credentials

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179322
    Clonmel native Paudie O'Neill is being tipped for a selector's role in new Tipperary hurling manager Eamon O'Shea's backroom team.

The Irish Examiner reports that O'Neill is a 'firm favourite' to be drafted into the Premier County's think-thank along with Michael Ryan who worked with O'Shea and Liam Sheedy when Tipperary claimed the 2010 All-Ireland crown.

Principal of Knocklyon Primary School in Dublin, O'Neill has been involved in hurling with Ballyboden St Enda's and with Dublin development and minor teams.

He is a qualified GAA coaching education tutor who gave a presentation at a Croke Park coaching conference last month.

Yip Kerry got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Did he go for Kerry in the end then?

In other news it seems a Clonmel native Paudie O'Neill is set for a selectors role alongside O'Shea. Wouldnt know much about him but it seems he has the credentials

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179322

Most people in Dublin hurling circles would know of him, he's a hugely dedicated hurling man. Have no idea of his coaching credentials though.

OAOB wrote: »
    Most people in Dublin hurling circles would know of him, he's a hugely dedicated hurling man. Have no idea of his coaching credentials though.

O'Shea himself played in Dublin and given that he can pick his own backroom i would say thats where the link is.

• Advertisement

Yip Kerry got him.

County board done too much arseing about. Had they given O'Shea what he wanted earlier and put him in place then O'Shea could have convinced O'Neill before Kerry got in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

I thought that the county final was a good game and Sars deserved to win. Drom struck a few bad wides. I think that a lot of credit has to go to the referee Fergal Horgan. He let the game flow as much as possible. It really added to the enjoyment of the game. I don't think either side would find fault with the way he refed the game. (Unlike the way John O' Brien handled the Drom Loughmore game) I wouldn't put him in charge of an U 12 game. He never let the play develop, nearly every time 2 players were contesting the ball he had to blow for a free. It made watching paint dry edge of the seat stuff. Even less people will attend games with that standard of refereeing which in the long run is of little or no benefit to Tipperary hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Moneymen

Droms full back line were very good and Eddie Costello in particular was a big loss when he went off. He held his line and it would seem McCormack got his scores when he drifted back a little bit nearer to the wing forward position. Kevin Butler was reasonably solid against Denis Maher. Michael O'Brien had a decent game but to be fair i couldn't fault Michael Costello's performance either.

The Thurles Sarsfields Full Forward Line scored 1-9 - You honestly can't say that Eddie Costello was playing well - His man had 3 points scored off him in the opening 18 mins...Paul Stapleton added a lot to this line when he came on....Kevin Butler only came on as a sub...Think your talking about Martin Butler there...Once Drom got on top at Centre Field and the half back line in the second half it nulified the Thurles Full Forward line but they totally cleaned out the the Drom Full Back line in the opening half and they came away with 1-6 in this half out of 1-11

Moneymen wrote: »
    The Thurles Sarsfields Full Forward Line scored 1-9 - You honestly can't say that Eddie Costello was playing well - His man had 3 points scored off him in the opening 18 mins...Paul Stapleton added a lot to this line when he came on....Kevin Butler only came on as a sub...Think your talking about Martin Butler there...Once Drom got on top at Centre Field and the half back line in the second half it nulified the Thurles Full Forward line but they totally cleaned out the the Drom Full Back line in the opening half and they came away with 1-6 in this half out of 1-11

I think though Aidan McCormack roved around the 40 for those first 3 points more or less. Eddie held his line because otherwise he'd have been probably taken on a tour of the park. He got one or two solid block ins i felt. Which of the Butlers was full back? there is so many i get mixed up apart from David and Seamus.

I think though Aidan McCormack roved around the 40 for those first 3 points more or less. Eddie held his line because otherwise he'd have been probably taken on a tour of the park. He got one or two solid block ins i felt. Which of the Butlers was full back? there is so many i get mixed up apart from David and Seamus.

Whoever was marking Aidan McCormack got roasted.

He roamed out to the half forward line and back a bit, surely the corner back has to follow him in that scenario. Different story if he goes and plays behind midfield.

Whoever was marking Aidan McCormack got roasted.

He roamed out to the half forward line and back a bit, surely the corner back has to follow him in that scenario. Different story if he goes and plays behind midfield.

Sometimes if your not the faster then your man then perhaps its better to hold your ground. Kilkenny for example looked more solid this year when they held their positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batman101

T

That is the craziest statement I've ever heard! They were very poor and it was their worst part of the field imo. Kevin Butler wasn't full back, it was Michael Butler. Droms full back line were taking apart in the first half. They were better in the second half because Sars only played a two man full forward line because Denis Maher moved out the field so therefore Drom had an extra man back there. Aidan McCormack wouldn't be the fastest lad but he was still running rings around Costello who was taking off because he was having a shocker and when Paul Stapleton came on it tightened things up. McCormack walked clean through for the goal aswell.

Batman101 wrote: »
    That is the craziest statement I've ever heard! They were very poor and it was their worst part of the field imo. Kevin Butler wasn't full back, it was Michael Butler. Droms full back line were taking apart in the first half. They were better in the second half because Sars only played a two man full forward line because Denis Maher moved out the field so therefore Drom had an extra man back there. Aidan McCormack wouldn't be the fastest lad but he was still running rings around Costello who was taking off because he was having a shocker and when Paul Stapleton came on it tightened things up. McCormack walked clean through for the goal aswell.

Firstly, i got the Butler lads mixed up so mea culpa.

Secondly, and im open to correction but McCormack's goal came after Costello went off did it not? And i thought Costello took a knock? Ill have a look at it again and sure if im wrong im wrong. I only seen it the once and hurling is such a dynamic game its easy to be fooled by the 'halo' effect with certain individuals.

Just had a look at the first half again. Considering the pressure Drom's FB line were under they weren't as bad as made out to be but definitely not as good as i made them out to be. The half back line and midfield though were cleaned out.
    Aidan McCormack - What can i say! When your on form your on form. Some of the points he took were majestic.

• Advertisement

O'Shea himself played in Dublin and given that he can pick his own backroom i would say thats where the link is.

They actually shared a house together and went to the same college, have been close friends ever since.
    County board done too much arseing about. Had they given O'Shea what he wanted earlier and put him in place then O'Shea could have convinced O'Neill before Kerry got in there.

O'Neill was never coming back, he had more or less achieved all he could as a fitness coach and wanted more of a say, Kerry have offered him a role as a selector which is where he wants to be. Football was always he's number one as a Kildare man and former footballer, we can only be thankfull that we got the three great years with him that we did.

Advertisement