Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batman101

Just had a look at the first half again. Considering the pressure Drom's FB line were under they weren't as bad as made out to be but definitely not as good as i made them out to be. The half back line and midfield though were cleaned out.
    Aidan McCormack - What can i say! When your on form your on form. Some of the points he took were majestic.

I think the fact that Lar drifted out the field it left a gap in front of McCormack which meant that Costello was exposed inside, he is too slow to be corner back anyway as most corner forwards at senior level now a days are built for speed, as its key!

Batman101 wrote: »
    I think the fact that Lar drifted out the field it left a gap in front of McCormack which meant that Costello was exposed inside, he is too slow to be corner back anyway as most corner forwards at senior level now a days are built for speed, as its key!

Id agree with that 100%. I still dont blame the full back line though. I mean the second point he stayed with him and made it as difficult as possible for McCormack to get the strike in. McCormack was at an unbelievable angle but when your on song your on song.

They actually shared a house together and went to the same college, have been close friends ever since.

O'Neill was never coming back, he had more or less achieved all he could as a fitness coach and wanted more of a say, Kerry have offered him a role as a selector which is where he wants to be. Football was always he's number one as a Kildare man and former footballer, we can only be thankfull that we got the three great years with him that we did.

Thats a fair point but from what i hear the relationship soured with the last regime. He had a great working relationship with Liam Sheedy and co and was never questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Thats a fair point but from what i hear the relationship soured with the last regime. He had a great working relationship with Liam Sheedy and co and was never questioned.

Agreed I think Declan and Tommy were abit reluctant to fully engage and wanted a clean sweep from the previous regime which although I wouldn't agree with is certainly understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Busy day on the football front tomorrow. 2 County Quarter Finals - Arravale Rovers v. Commercials and Eire Og v. Thomas McDonaghs and County Intermediate Final Moycarkey v. Upperchurch.

• Advertisement

Busy day on the football front tomorrow. 2 County Quarter Finals - Arravale Rovers v. Commercials and Eire Og v. Thomas McDonaghs and County Intermediate Final Moycarkey v. Upperchurch.

Definately worth keeping an eye on. Wonder will Commercials come good or will Arravale see them off?
    Agreed I think Declan and Tommy were abit reluctant to fully engage and wanted a clean sweep from the previous regime which although I wouldn't agree with is certainly understandable.

If they were two shrewd and experienced managers i could understand but when you walk into the All ireland champions with such naivety and Cian O'Neill is willing to stay on then one would think you would be delighted to have a good panel, continuity and expertise to help you. The fact O'Neill is in such high demand and the fact that we fell flat on our faces under Tommy and Declan shows just exactly who was right and who was wrong.

County Senior Football Quarter Finals - Commercials 0-14; Arravale Rovers 0-8. Eire Og 2-9; Thomas McDonagh's 1-12 (after extra time). Intermediate Football Final Moycarkey 2-9; Upperchurch 1-8.

Lar Corbetts autobiography coming out on the 25th.

Not sure i agree with a guy still playing the game writing an autobiography as its a bit of a distraction but there is extracts on todays indo. Very interesting stuff. He doesnt hold back

A few paraphrases from it:

On Babs
    "His teamtalks became more bizarre as time went on. He would call us into a circle and tell us a story of how he played a game of golf with Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley and how he had chipped in from well off the green"

:D Wow what a coach....:rolleyes:
    "Philip Maher was dropped in March of 2006 and the reason we were given to us was that he was 'putting too much butter on the spuds'"

Says that picture of health and fitness Babs himself who during his own days looked too big to play cricket.

But he was too soft on Tommy and Declan in my opinion. He gave subtle hints that they had no contingency plan whatsoever when things needed changing. The communication lines seemed non existant. For example they were 'waiting in the dressing room' for the subs to come back in at half time. Surely to god one of the 3 men could have shown some leadership and initiative and told them to 'get their arses in here pronto-tonto' instead of waiting there like spare parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I see seamus Hennessy had a good game for mcdonaghs Saturday, hopefully he'll be back to he's best for tipp hurlers next year...... He'd fit into midfield no bother...

I saw that Seamus Hennessy played on Saturday. It is good to see him on the way back. I never knew that he was a footballer as well as a hurler. David Young played on Saturday as well. A Toomevara man playing football is most unusual. Looks like things are changing a bit in North Tipp.

• Advertisement

I see seamus Hennessy had a good game for mcdonaghs Saturday, hopefully he'll be back to he's best for tipp hurlers next year...... He'd fit into midfield no bother...

We're badly lacking physicality against the likes of Mick Fennelly. Brendan Maher hasnt had the same influence since coming back from that ankle injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

The Mid Minor A Hurling Final took place yesterday in Littleton before a good attendance. The final score line Holycross Ballycahill 3-10 Thurles Sarsfields 2-8. It was a hugely entertaining high quality game. There were some tough exchanges and great passages of hurling with some great individual performances on both sides. Sarsfields had the aid of a strong breeze in the first half and dictated the early exchanges. County minor Ronan Maher who was operating at centre back was very prominent was the key performer. Holycross took some time to get to the tempo set by Sars and were finding scores hard to come by. They only managed 2 points from frees in that period. However late on in the half they got 3 crucial goals which rocked the Sars. Upon the change of ends the contest Sars fought back and regained the lead and looked like they would prevail. However Holycross/B hung in and got back on top. There was nearly 5 minutes of stoppage time and despite huge pressure Sars failed to regain the lead. The winners thoroughly deserved their victory and now look forward to a clash with the North Champions. As I stated in an earlier post about the performance of the referee and his influence on the game he had a reasonable performance. As per usual there were questionable decisions on both sides but overall he did ok. Man of the match went to Holycross/B wing forward Jamie Woods. His switch to out around the midfield worked a treat. Sorry for being a bit long winded but I think this game deserved to be highlighted.

The Mid Minor A Hurling Final took place yesterday in Littleton before a good attendance. The final score line Holycross Ballycahill 3-10 Thurles Sarsfields 2-8. It was a hugely entertaining high quality game. There were some tough exchanges and great passages of hurling with some great individual performances on both sides. Sarsfields had the aid of a strong breeze in the first half and dictated the early exchanges. County minor Ronan Maher who was operating at centre back was very prominent was the key performer. Holycross took some time to get to the tempo set by Sars and were finding scores hard to come by. They only managed 2 points from frees in that period. However late on in the half they got 3 crucial goals which rocked the Sars. Upon the change of ends the contest Sars fought back and regained the lead and looked like they would prevail. However Holycross/B hung in and got back on top. There was nearly 5 minutes of stoppage time and despite huge pressure Sars failed to regain the lead. The winners thoroughly deserved their victory and now look forward to a clash with the North Champions. As I stated in an earlier post about the performance of the referee and his influence on the game he had a reasonable performance. As per usual there were questionable decisions on both sides but overall he did ok. Man of the match went to Holycross/B wing forward Jamie Woods. His switch to out around the midfield worked a treat. Sorry for being a bit long winded but I think this game deserved to be highlighted.

Cheers for that update. Wow what a shot in the arm for the young men down by the Abbey with the talent Sars have at their disposal. Apart from the goalkeeper was there any other Tipperary minor playing for Holycross?

Great to see both St Marys (they beat Mullinahone last Sat by 2 points before hammering Moyle Rvrs Sat in the South final) and Holycross upsetting the old order. Holycross are a traditional stronghold in Tipp hurling but have been gone for quite a while to be fair. A return would be a big welcome back

Who is in the North and West does anyone know?

From the point of view that i want to see more hurling in Clonmel im hoping Mary's will do the business but best of luck to all youngsters involved. I must add its great to see Moyle Rovers contest the final. A traditionally strong football club its interesting times we live in when you dont see the Killenaules, Ballingarry, Carricks or Mullinahones contesting any hurling final down here, but two clubs from the Clonmel environs. I would hope Moyle Rovers wont be too discouraged either and keep up the good work along with Kilsheelan

Once again fair play for posting.

I saw that Seamus Hennessy played on Saturday. It is good to see him on the way back. I never knew that he was a footballer as well as a hurler. David Young played on Saturday as well. A Toomevara man playing football is most unusual. Looks like things are changing a bit in North Tipp.

Toomevara is a hurling only club AFAIK so does anyone know where any footballer from there tradtionally played their club football before the McDonaghs and Kenyons combos were set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Toomevara is a hurling only club AFAIK so does anyone know where any footballer from there tradtionally played their club football before the McDonaghs and Kenyons combos were set up?
    They are hurling only for the mostpart but there has been football teams from toome over the years at various levels in north tipp.
    Dont know where anyone from toome who wanted to play football traditionally played but 1 or 2 toome lads have came over at one stage or another and played a bit of gaelic football in burgess and others have played in nenagh. Nenagh would be the main place if i had to guess anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Some people have too much time on their hands........

http://twitter.com/larcorbett/status/260690735362363392/photo/1

marvin80 wrote: »
    Some people have too much time on their hands........

http://twitter.com/larcorbett/status/260690735362363392/photo/1

Ah thats disgraceful in all honesty. No need for that bull. When Lar gave winters training with the Tipperary team, that eejit was probably by his fireside with a cup of tea in his hands.
    No true GAA person would stoop to that. Lar is more foolish to even entertain it. Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

In fairness there's always some eejet who hides behind a keyboard or pen, Lar's a big boy I'd say well used to people having a go, I hope he stays on for 1 more year and gets back to where he should be, now for Sunday looking forward to the killmallock game, I'll head down there for it, if I remember correctly from two years ago its not the greatest pitch very compact..... It'll be a dog fight I think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lar is more foolish to even entertain it. Nonsense.

I think he did it as more of a name and shame ploy as it give the "supporter's" name and address, I wonder if any Tipp fans will send that "supporter" a nice letter back.

This book affair has really divided Tipp fans more than I can ever remember. It certainly appears that the majority think it is a bad idea, but there is reasonable support for Lar as well. Some publicity for a book launch, but it is all a bit of a mess and no help to Tipp hurling. Hard to see Lar getting back to anything near where he was in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I think he did it as more of a name and shame ploy as it give the "supporter's" name and address, I wonder if any Tipp fans will send that "supporter" a nice letter back.

Let him join Boards.ie and we'll rip him a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Cheers for that update. Wow what a shot in the arm for the young men down by the Abbey with the talent Sars have at their disposal. Apart from the goalkeeper was there any other Tipperary minor playing for Holycross?

Great to see both St Marys (they beat Mullinahone last Sat by 2 points before hammering Moyle Rvrs Sat in the South final) and Holycross upsetting the old order. Holycross are a traditional stronghold in Tipp hurling but have been gone for quite a while to be fair. A return would be a big welcome back

From the point of view that i want to see more hurling in Clonmel im hoping Mary's will do the business but best of luck to alol youngsters involved. I must add its great to see Moyle Rovers contest the final. A traditionally strong football club its interesting times we live in when you dont see the Killenaules, Ballingarry, Carricks or Mullinahones contesting any hurling final down here, but two clubs from the Clonmel environs. I would hope Moyle Rovers wont be too discouraged either and keep up the good work along with Kilsheelan

No bother Tipp Gunner. I must point out that you statement "Apart from the goalkeeper was there any other Tipperary minor playing for Holycross?" is incorrect. The goalkeeper isn't from Holycross nor is the sub goalkeeper. Seanie Nally was on the panel. He played at midfield in the game against Kerry. He lost his place on the starting 15. He was immense against Sars especially in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

From the point of view that i want to see more hurling in Clonmel im hoping Mary's will do the business but best of luck to all youngsters involved. I must add its great to see Moyle Rovers contest the final. A traditionally strong football club its interesting times we live in when you dont see the Killenaules, Ballingarry, Carricks or Mullinahones contesting any hurling final down here, but two clubs from the Clonmel environs. I would hope Moyle Rovers wont be too discouraged either and keep up the good work along with Kilsheelan

North minor semi finals are on saturday. Nenagh play Toome in Dolla and Kiladangan play Roscrea in Nenagh.

No bother Tipp Gunner. I must point out that you statement "Apart from the goalkeeper was there any other Tipperary minor playing for Holycross?" is incorrect. The goalkeeper isn't from Holycross nor is the sub goalkeeper. Seanie Nally was on the panel. He played at midfield in the game against Kerry. He lost his place on the starting 15. He was immense against Sars especially in the second half.

Sorry about that. For some reason i had it in my head that Paul Maher was from Holycross but he is actually from Moyne-Templetouhy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

This book affair has really divided Tipp fans more than I can ever remember. It certainly appears that the majority think it is a bad idea, but there is reasonable support for Lar as well. Some publicity for a book launch, but it is all a bit of a mess and no help to Tipp hurling. Hard to see Lar getting back to anything near where he was in 2010.

As you mention Lar's book - any idea who the ghost writer is: is it Damien Lawlor? Strange that he should bring out an autobiography now, does it mean that he is definitely finished at inter-county level? If he intended staying on under E.O'Shea surely he'd wait until his career was definitively over before bringing his story out? What if he goes on to win an AI next year?
    I would love to see him stay on, recover his form, and ram it down the throats of Babs and the pack of Tipperary supporters who showed absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to a man who soldiered for Tipp during some really, really bad years. Who stuck at it even when he was dumped, failed to get the start, was substituted, battled injuries, lost his form and finally blossomed spectacularly under Sheedy - with E.O'Shea's coaching.
    Why are Tipp supporters so cruel and unforgiving when things go wrong?
    Eamon O'Shea is a brave, brave man.
    He has the goodwill of the county now, is regarded as something of a Messiah. I hope and pray for his sake that the players will respond and take some pride in wearing the Blue and Gold.
    Anyway, I have my season ticket purchased and I can't wait for next year to come!

As far as I know, the ghost writer was Damian Lawlor. Reading the Sindo last Sunday, it seemed to be pretty poor stuff by him. Word now is that Lar will be on the Late Late Show tomorrow night and will be signing copies of the book in Thurles on Saturday. He really is putting himself under serious pressure for the match in Kilmallock on Sunday. Not exactly ideal preparation for a Munster Club Championship match.

As far as I know, the ghost writer was Damian Lawlor. Reading the Sindo last Sunday, it seemed to be pretty poor stuff by him. Word now is that Lar will be on the Late Late Show tomorrow night and will be signing copies of the book in Thurles on Saturday. He really is putting himself under serious pressure for the match in Kilmallock on Sunday. Not exactly ideal preparation for a Munster Club Championship match.

Ive defended Lar to the hilt. Ive defended him during the barren years (01-08) and ive defended him after 11 and 12. But if he chooses to promote an autobiography while his club are in the midst of going for Munster and after a completely abject performance in the county final well then i can only say i cant defend him any longer. He is becoming the 'Jordan' of Tipperary. Be the publicity good or bad he is there in front of the cameras or has splashed ink on paper.

Tipperary have Bubbles, Jason Forde, Liam McGrath, Eanna Murray, Denis Maher, Mikey Heffernan, and many more all chomping at the bit and waiting for that call up to the senior panel. Do we really need someone who is no longer putting the game of hurling first any more?

Henry Shefflin would have every right to do what Lar is doing at this point in time. The thing is though Henry Shefflin values Celtic Crosses over a Late Late Interview or a publishers cheque for an autobiography.

Henry has had several great finals and several allstars yet he goes about his business like a young lad going for his first. His only post on twitter was in order to rule out someone who was posting under his name.

If Lar is gone then good luck to him, its a pity he didnt come back to right the wrongs, but if he still has intentions of making the panel then he may be in big trouble. Lar is lacking all the qualities Eamon O'Shea is looking for at this point in time. His body can hurl but can his mind make him?

As you mention Lar's book - any idea who the ghost writer is: is it Damien Lawlor? Strange that he should bring out an autobiography now, does it mean that he is definitely finished at inter-county level? If he intended staying on under E.O'Shea surely he'd wait until his career was definitively over before bringing his story out? What if he goes on to win an AI next year?
    I would love to see him stay on, recover his form, and ram it down the throats of Babs and the pack of Tipperary supporters who showed absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to a man who soldiered for Tipp during some really, really bad years. Who stuck at it even when he was dumped, failed to get the start, was substituted, battled injuries, lost his form and finally blossomed spectacularly under Sheedy - with E.O'Shea's coaching.
    Why are Tipp supporters so cruel and unforgiving when things go wrong?
    Eamon O'Shea is a brave, brave man.
    He has the goodwill of the county now, is regarded as something of a Messiah. I hope and pray for his sake that the players will respond and take some pride in wearing the Blue and Gold.
    Anyway, I have my season ticket purchased and I can't wait for next year to come!

If Tipp are good enough to win the All Ireland next year then id be very surprised and even more surprised if Lar was part of it.

Id like to see the fairy tale ending but quite frankly it isnt going to happen for him. His mind is on Montrose more then Croker.

I dont like to slate an amateur athlete and he has given years to Tipperary but all his media attention he is currently getting is doing us no favours whatsoever. Young players see such experience being so distracted and its not a good message to be sending out. I know its an amateur game etc and id have no problem with him doing an ad or two but bringing attention on the camp is very unfair to Eamon O'Shea who was probably reluctant ot come back and his teammates. If your a Kilkenny hurler reading what was said then you'd be chomping at the bit to stick another nail in next year. O'Sheas tactics will only work if he has a hungry panel and when the older players are showing more hunger for a paper column then dirty ball then we have a serious problem

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

Not a single all star this year. What do ye think? Waterford got 2 and Clare got 1. Though the semi final was a disgrace, we are still Munster champions, I would've thought we would get one.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2610121851-gaagpa-hurling-all-stars-2012-announced/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Lar on the late late now.

Advertisement