Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Lar on the late late now.

This interview is two years too late

mags85 wrote: »
    Not a single all star this year. What do ye think? Waterford got 2 and Clare got 1. Though the semi final was a disgrace, we are still Munster champions, I would've thought we would get one.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2610121851-gaagpa-hurling-all-stars-2012-announced/

I cant think of any that deserved one tbh but the counter argument is how did the two teams that went out earlier manage to get them. That said Clare had one or two young hurlers who caught the eye this year.

Munster Champions title is overrated tbh and at the end of the day im not too disappointed that we didnt get an allstar. The Liam McCarthy is the only thing that matters. A year without an allstar might be a rude awakening for some.
    It would seem that all the ethos on teamwork that Liam Sheedy and O'Shea instilled has been replaced by players going for their own personal glory. Wing backs making long pointless runs to try and get on the score sheet and forgetting their own job.

It's high time to put 2012 to bed and hopefully 2013 will bear riper fruit. We have a talented young team but i would hope there is no huge rebuilding process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The All Stars are becoming a bit of a joke these days,apart from Tipp getting nothing the AI losers get more than the winners.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We have a new year ahead to look forward too. I think the underlying problem in the camp was discipline. I think under this new regime we will see some lads losing out. I hope positioning is worked on this year. Last year some guys were a free for all. I think a certain member of the coaching staff last year came across a disciplinarian but he wasn't willing to put the work in with the players so he lost a bit of respect, that's my personal opinion.

All the moves Eamon O'Shea is making look to be right so far. Over the first few weeks of November players will face one-to-one interviews deciding on who will be selected for the provisional panel. I think that is a great idea and while I think it might not seem like a big move it may rattle a few players into working a bit harder.

Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

County SFC Quarter Final (replay) Thomas McDonaghs 0-10; Eire Og 0-7.

• Advertisement

We have a new year ahead to look forward too. I think the underlying problem in the camp was discipline. I think under this new regime we will see some lads losing out. I hope positioning is worked on this year. Last year some guys were a free for all. I think a certain member of the coaching staff last year came across a disciplinarian but he wasn't willing to put the work in with the players so he lost a bit of respect, that's my personal opinion.

All the moves Eamon O'Shea is making look to be right so far. Over the first few weeks of November players will face one-to-one interviews deciding on who will be selected for the provisional panel. I think that is a great idea and while I think it might not seem like a big move it may rattle a few players into working a bit harder.

Can't wait now!

Oh no doubt it will be. Eamon O'Shea is quite frankly a genius and he has the players respect. The team will have a balance and shape to it which it didnt have the last two years. There will be more unity, hooking, blocking and attacking. Whether Eamon says keep a player or cut him loose i am confident he sees promise where i dont.

As for the hurling i honestly cannot wait for it to get going again. Those who dont realise the true brilliance of the sport just haven't lived imo.

I would hope the county board put in a plan of action for when Eamon calls it a day the second time so we can be coaching the next generation of Eamon O'Shea's while the original is putting Tipperary hurling back where it belongs :)

We have a new year ahead to look forward too. I think the underlying problem in the camp was discipline.

Just on that, where there is no discipline there is no leadership. i attended a challenge before the Waterford Crystal cup last year and looking at Declan's body language it became apparent he wasnt cut out for the managment game and it didnt deviate much during 2012 to suggest we had a maestro in our midst. Granted he was better then he was in 2011 but that day in question he had a book under his oxter and was at the far end of the pitch before the game while the players warmed up.

Tommy from what i hear is just not a people person. its a bit like having Roy Keane as manager. Great player himself but seems to think management is about treating players one way - like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Roy Keane treats his dogs very well. The company of "Trix" he says was his best form of relaxation

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Roy Keane treats his dogs very well. The company of "Trix" he says was his best form of relaxation

Ha ha Dogs was probably the term i shouldnt have used :) Triggs was treated well in all fairness toooo Royyy at da end of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

I don't know if there is any truth in it that there are 7 members to be cut from the Tipp senior hurling panel.

• Advertisement

I don't know if there is any truth in it that there are 7 members to be cut from the Tipp senior hurling panel.

EOS was adamant he wanted a few old heads going forward to 'help a team in transition' so to be honest i dont think he will make any decisions yet. The only thing he may be concerned about is Lar Corbett but he had a previous good working relationship with Lar so he may give him another bite of the cherry

An absolutely fantastic game of football in Cashel today. Commercials beat Loughmore by 4-10 to 4-8 after extra time in the County Semi Final. Great to see several members of the All Ireland Minor Footballl winning team of last year starring for both sides. The future is certainly looking bright for Tipperary football.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Well done to the Cahir ladies intermediate team who will be representing Munster/Tipperary in the AI Semi-Final after todays win against Eire Og of Cork in the Munster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was down in mallow for the ladies intermediate final, cahir poor in first half, ref very harsh on the tipp girls, half time score 0-3 to 0-7 but the second half some turn around cahir scoring 2-3 to 0-3, full time 2-6 to 0-10, a great win for a very young cahir team.... Great to see SARS put a bit of manners on the limerick boys as well....and to silvermines another great win

An absolutely fantastic game of football in Cashel today. Commercials beat Loughmore by 4-10 to 4-8 after extra time in the County Semi Final. Great to see several members of the All Ireland Minor Footballl winning team of last year starring for both sides. The future is certainly looking bright for Tipperary football.

Wow!! Great to see that type of game in Tipperary. Bring in the bonus point system at divisional group stage is what i say. Get teams more into an attacking philosophy as todays game was more the exception rather then the norm, it being scrappy 1 point wins in low scoring games.

Don't know what you mean by the bonus points system and I can't see how in would work in hurling or football. Does it operate in other counties.

Don't know what you mean by the bonus points system and I can't see how in would work in hurling or football. Does it operate in other counties.

Im proposing it for football only in Tipp and to be best of my knowledge it would be a first if it was introduced.

What im referring to is the league stages of each division ala South, Mid and West championship. Like rugby, if a team could clock up a certain score or number of goals in a game, then award them a bonus point on the league table.

For example if you took todays thriller and put it in a league table context then Commercials would be awarded 2 points for the win but the fact both scored 4 goals then both would be awarded an extra point so Commercials would get 3 in total and Loughmore would get 1

Thomas Macs beating Killenaule by a goal at half time. 1-4 to 4 points.

Mcdonaghs won by2pts, taught killenaule would take them after walking through the south championship .... Sounds a great match 3pts scored between them in the second half!! Killenaule scored 2pts in the last 40+ mins. Hopefully the county final will be a lot better.

Im proposing it for football only in Tipp and to be best of my knowledge it would be a first if it was introduced.

What im referring to is the league stages of each division ala South, Mid and West championship. Like rugby, if a team could clock up a certain score or number of goals in a game, then award them a bonus point on the league table.

For example if you took todays thriller and put it in a league table context then Commercials would be awarded 2 points for the win but the fact both scored 4 goals then both would be awarded an extra point so Commercials would get 3 in total and Loughmore would get 1
    I can't see any merit in your proposal at all. An obvious question is why are you proposing that it should apply to football only. If it is such a good idea would it not benefit the hurling championships as well. I would also point out the very obvious fact that if the Commercials/Loughmore game was in the league stage it would have a draw with no extra time played and the 2 teams would get the same number of points. I think you are probably watching too much rugby, because AFAIK rugby is the only major sport that awards bonus points for scores no matter how much a team concedes themselves. I doubt if there will be any great demand or support for the change that you are suggesting.

• Advertisement

Mcdonaghs won by2pts, taught killenaule would take them after walking through the south championship .... Sounds a great match 3pts scored between them in the second half!! Killenaule scored 2pts in the last 40+ mins. Hopefully the county final will be a lot better.

Mcdonaghs offer stubborn resistance it seems as they win quite alot of games by the minimum and most are low scoring.
    I can't see any merit in your proposal at all. An obvious question is why are you proposing that it should apply to football only. If it is such a good idea would it not benefit the hurling championships as well. I would also point out the very obvious fact that if the Commercials/Loughmore game was in the league stage it would have a draw with no extra time played and the 2 teams would get the same number of points. I think you are probably watching too much rugby, because AFAIK rugby is the only major sport that awards bonus points for scores no matter how much a team concedes themselves. I doubt if there will be any great demand or support for the change that you are suggesting.

Maybe Commercials v Loughmore is a bad example and tbh i hadnt thought of the fact it went to ET, but i notice that there is quite alot of low scoring games in Tipperary club football. That could be due to weather conditions or just poor standard or both

I wouldnt entirely rule it out in the hurling although few if any of the hurling games finish 0-7 - 0-6, etc. Id like to see the game of Football go away from negative tactics and to embrace a more attacking and positive brand and i think the GAA needs to look at ways of improving it.

Yes my proposal could have its downfalls also but it definately worth experimenting and tinkering with. The big hole in my idea is when it goes to knockout stages teams may revert back to negative tactics and in fairness the other aspect to that is to allow for winter condtions having major impact on the quality of football.

Cashel had a good win over Clonoulty Rosmore in the West Minor A Hurling Final at Dundrum today. They were victorious on a scoreline of 1:15 to 1:7. Cashel now go forward to St. Marys in the county semi-final. County star Dylan Fitzell had a major say in matters. He goaled from a 21 meter free in the second half. He also got a few points, including a couple of beauties in the second half.

Did anyone go to see Thurles Sarsfields and Kilmallock game. The game seemed to be a tight affair. Who played well for them? When and where do they take on the Cork Sarsfields? I also see that Silvermines and a good win in their Munster IHC match against there Clare opposition Ruan on a scoreline of 1:15 to 0:6. Aparraintly Jason Forde had a great match as usual. Fingers crossed that he progresses to be a future star with the county seniors.

Cashel had a good win over Clonoulty Rosmore in the West Minor A Hurling Final at Dundrum today. They were victorious on a scoreline of 1:15 to 1:7. Cashel now go forward to St. Marys in the county semi-final. County star Dylan Fitzell had a major say in matters. He goaled from a 21 meter free in the second half. He also got a few points, including a couple of beauties in the second half.

How did Gearoid Slattery hurl for them? Fitzelle is a terrific talent. Bit of a Cashel KC resurgence would be good for Tipp hurling. They faded out the late 90s early noughties when Cappawhite and Kickhams came to the fore and battled with Clonoulty in the West.
    Did anyone go to see Thurles Sarsfields and Kilmallock game. The game seemed to be a tight affair. Who played well for them? When and where do they take on the Cork Sarsfields? I also see that Silvermines and a good win in their Munster IHC match against there Clare opposition Ruan on a scoreline of 1:15 to 0:6. Aparraintly Jason Forde had a great match as usual. Fingers crossed that he progresses to be a future star with the county seniors.

Forde is a wonderful talent. If he keeps up what he is doing i see no reason why he cant become a star in the future. He is a brilliant sticksman

How did Gearoid Slattery hurl for them? Fitzelle is a terrific talent. Bit of a Cashel KC resurgence would be good for Tipp hurling. They faded out the late 90s early noughties when Cappawhite and Kickhams came to the fore and battled with Clonoulty in the West.
    Sorry but I'm not sure if he was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Brother was at it. Said Lar played quite well, not in it much, but got three great scores for 1-2, Pa very quiet.
    Paudie Maher gave an absolute exhibition at centre back, brother couldn't stop raving about how good he was, one of the best displays he was ever seen.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Brother was at it. Said Lar played quite well, not in it much, but got three great scores for 1-2, Pa very quiet.
    Paudie Maher gave an absolute exhibition at centre back, brother couldn't stop raving about how good he was, one of the best displays he was ever seen.

Thanks for the update robbiezero. Hopefully Lar and Paudie will continue with their good form and help bring Sars a step closer to lifting some silverware outside the county. It's been a while since a club has won some. Loughmore-Castleliney were munster kingpins in 2007.

Tipp u17 beat limerick tonight to win the daryl darcy cup 1-9 0-6 ...

Tipp u17 beat limerick tonight to win the daryl darcy cup 1-9 0-6 ...

Ha ha you wouldnt mind they took an absolute hiding from Limerick last week in same competition. Hon the Premier! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update robbiezero. Hopefully Lar and Paudie will continue with their good form and help bring Sars a step closer to lifting some silverware outside the county. It's been a while since a club has won some. Loughmore-Castleliney were munster kingpins in 2007.

Its a long time since a Tipp club won the All ireland outright. I remember Toom having a huge lead on Ballyhale back in 07 and blowing it.

When did the last club from Tipp even get to a final? Toomevara against Sarsfields of Galway in 1994 i assume?

Advertisement