Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

Id like to wish Thurles Sarsfields (SHC) Clonmel Commercials (SFC), Moycarkey Borris (IFC), Borrisokane/Drom-Inch (JFC), Silvermines (IHC), and Kilsheelan Kilcash (JHC), the best of luck in the provincial and hopefully the subsequent All Ireland Club Championships for 2012/13.

I believe Eamon O'Shea gave a seminar in L.I.T Tipperary during the week. Anyone happen to be in attendance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Heard John Evans is to be appointed the Roscommon Football Manager, thats alot of travelling if he is still based in Kerry.

Lots and lots of expenses there!!

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Heard John Evans is to be appointed the Roscommon Football Manager, thats alot of travelling if he is still based in Kerry.

Lots and lots of expenses there!!

When the Rossies win it will be down to Johnny but when they lose it will probably be the players fault.

Id have thought the contrasting performances of our footballers this year under him and Peter Creedon respectively, would have convinced the other counties that he isnt all he makes himself out to be. I've come to the conclusion he is a Kerry equivalent of Babs - all talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

When the Rossies win it will be down to Johnny but when they lose it will probably be the players fault.

Id have thought the contrasting performances of our footballers this year under him and Peter Creedon respectively, would have convinced the other counties that he isnt all he makes himself out to be. I've come to the conclusion he is a Kerry equivalent of Babs - all talk.

Couldn't have put it better myself .... The best of luck to him;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I believe Eamon O'Shea gave a seminar in L.I.T Tipperary during the week. Anyone happen to be in attendance?

Yeah tame enough affair tbh nothing too revealing, probably just aswell, lot of well know 'heads' from other counties, no doubt trying to pick up a few pearls of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Babs Keating managed Tipp to win 2 All Irelands and 5 Munster Championships. Not exactly all talk I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Babs Keating managed Tipp to win 2 All Irelands and 5 Munster Championships. Not exactly all talk I would think.

Babs keating had at that time a panel of players at he's disposal that a return of 2 AI's is pitifull tbh, and one was won against Antrim in an exhibition match.

Michael Cleary Declan Ryan John Leahy

Pat Fox Cormac Bonner Nicky English

Best 6 forwards that ever played together over a sustained period and winning 2 AI's with that is poor, and most who were involved at the time have said if it wasn't for the two selectors they might not have won anything.

I think they won it in spite of him and not because of him. Great hurler himself in his day to be fair and one or two of the players from that 1st stint in charge who knew no better wouldnt hear a bad word about him, but in all honesty a manager who continues to claim Tipperary currently has discipline problems, yet he himself once referred to Cork as 'Donkeys' before his team faced them in a Munster final? :confused:
    I mean what eejit that has any interest in the success of Tipperary hurling would do it? Against arguably our greatest rivals throughout that decade.

This man continues to claim in the present day that he done everything in the best interests of Tipperary hurling. He is either spoofing or seriously deluded. He is an egotist.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

I think they won it in spite of him and not because of him. Great hurler himself in his day to be fair and one or two of the players from that 1st stint in charge who knew no better wouldnt hear a bad word about him, but in all honesty a manager who continues to claim Tipperary currently has discipline problems, yet he himself once referred to Cork as 'Donkeys' before his team faced them in a Munster final? :confused:
    I mean what eejit that has any interest in the success of Tipperary hurling would do it? Against arguably our greatest rivals throughout that decade.

This man continues to claim in the present day that he done everything in the best interests of Tipperary hurling. He is either spoofing or seriously deluded. He is an egotist.

well said my friend.he comes across as a very very bitter man and he is lucky that he got blessed with a great team an we were unlucky that it was him who got that team.cant stand the man:mad:

• Advertisement

Seems that it is very easy to win All Irelands and Munster Championships. At least that is what my fellow countymen Premierstone, Tipp Gunner and Buggy Beag think. A pitiful return my eye. Do these guys realise what Tipp won in 70's (after 1971) and 80's, before Babs was appointed manager. As for saying that Tipp won 1 All Ireland by beating Antrim in an exhibition, what an arrogant, insulting attitude to Antrim hurling. By the way who did Tipp beat to get to the 1989 All Ireland Final. They seem to be under the impression that Tipp got a bye into the final.

Seems that it is very easy to win All Irelands and Munster Championships. At least that is what my fellow countymen Premierstone, Tipp Gunner and Buggy Beag think. A pitiful return my eye. Do these guys realise what Tipp won in 70's (after 1971) and 80's, before Babs was appointed manager. As for saying that Tipp won 1 All Ireland by beating Antrim in an exhibition, what an arrogant, insulting attitude to Antrim hurling. By the way who did Tipp beat to get to the 1989 All Ireland Final. They seem to be under the impression that Tipp got a bye into the final.

To be honest i think at this stage you just opened a boards account to disagree with everyone. Your not really much of a 'fellow county man' yourself as you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about something.

I think it might have been just going slightly too far dismissing the 89 win as a challenge however fact is once we got over Galway we had the pedigree to get over Antrim. But dont forget Galway were missing Tony Keady that same year. Yes we are all well aware of the famine but just because suddenly we won 2 all irelands after Babs took over it doesnt mean he was the mastermind behind it. Yes he had input but the actual input compared to the perceived input are worlds apart.

Alot of the personnel had already achieved Minor all irelands in 1980 and 1982 on top of u21's in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1989 .

We won 2 All Irelands in both 1989 and 1991 but had our manager shown some tact and composure ahead of 1990 then we had a fighting chance against a less wound up Cork and who knows after that. 1993 we lost to Galway who lost to an average enough Kilkenny team.

The fact of the matter is that arrogance crept in to us that time and the very man who should have been showing leadership was a reckless buffoon in front of cameras and who continuously clashed with players.

He then went on to other counties where his input was about as valuable as a condom with a hole in the teat

In all fairness, Tipp did not just have to beat Galway to get to that All Ireland Final, the Munster Championship had to be won as well. One thing I can never understand is why some Tipp want to knock Tipp's All Ireland win in 1989 because Antrim were in the Final. If Offaly had beaten Antrim in that semi final, there is no doubt that Tipp would have hammered Offaly in the final. An All Ireland is an All Ireland and a team can only beat who they are required to play. We have won 4 All Irelands in 40 years and I don't agree with people who downgrade one of those wins, because of poor opposition in the final.

In all fairness, Tipp did not just have to beat Galway to get to that All Ireland Final, the Munster Championship had to be won as well. One thing I can never understand is why some Tipp want to knock Tipp's All Ireland win in 1989 because Antrim were in the Final. If Offaly had beaten Antrim in that semi final, there is no doubt that Tipp would have hammered Offaly in the final. An All Ireland is an All Ireland and a team can only beat who they are required to play. We have won 4 All Irelands in 40 years and I don't agree with people who downgrade one of those wins, because of poor opposition in the final.

nobody is knocking it its just not that it was one of the more memorable ones the same way if you ask a kilkenny fan to remeber an all ireland final im sure v waterford wouldnt be one they would remeber straight away and it was a poor antrim team and we were a very good team it was one we were expected to win not because of the manager but because the team was so good compared to antrims and dont you have a newspaper column to be writng babs:p

Silvermines are playing ballyduff(Kerry) in the intermediate final...

Two county finals played today. In Minor Football, Commercials beat JK Brackens by 2-12 to 1-5, for 3 in a row, and in Junior Football Borrisokane beat Drom-Inch by 0-6 to 0-5. I heard that Kilsheelan lost to St. Kierans (Limerick) in the Munster Club Junior Hurling. Don't know the score in that one.

Two county finals played today. In Minor Football, Commercials beat JK Brackens by 2-12 to 1-5, for 3 in a row, and in Junior Football Borrisokane beat Drom-Inch by 0-6 to 0-5. I heard that Kilsheelan lost to St. Kierans (Limerick) in the Munster Club Junior Hurling. Don't know the score in that one.

Ah Shame. Hope they can win the Junior county now though. Would be good to see another South Team progress up the ranks.

EDIT: Heavy enough defeat according to Munster gaa site. 14 points to 1-2

Silvermines are playing ballyduff(Kerry) in the intermediate final...

Best of luck to the Mines in that. Would be great if they could go all the way to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ah Shame. Hope they can win the Junior county now though. Would be good to see another South Team progress up the ranks.

EDIT: Heavy enough defeat according to Munster gaa site. 14 points to 1-2

They were outmuscled by a very physically strong St.Kierans team from Limerick, many of whom have played football for Limerick. actually have 2 members of the present Limerick senior football team including brilliant full back Johnny McCarthy who incidentally plays hurling at full or centre forward.
    Kierans have a fine freetaker too, hardly missed anything today.
    Are Kilsheelan/Kilcash favourites to win the Tipp junior county.?

best of luck to thurles sarsfields today:)

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    They were outmuscled by a very physically strong St.Kierans team from Limerick, many of whom have played football for Limerick. actually have 2 members of the present Limerick senior football team including brilliant full back Johnny McCarthy who incidentally plays hurling at full or centre forward.
    Kierans have a fine freetaker too, hardly missed anything today.
    Are Kilsheelan/Kilcash favourites to win the Tipp junior county.?

Kilsheelan are in the junior A county final. They beat Loughmore fairly comprehensively in the county semi and now meet Moycarkey who beat Clonoulty earlier today.

What a goal from Larry. Terrific. Pa going very well. Unlucky not to have 1-2 from play instead of 3 points

That flick from Pa Bourke just there now on 21 minutes was absolutely majestic.

Thurles SARS the better team finding the scores a bit easier,great to see lar flying great goal and good to see Burke getting stuck in and McCormack 3pts in 5mins .... Looking forward to more hopefully in the second half.....

Thurles racking up the wides

Great game, McCormack looks a good prospect, they were the better team looking forward to the del la salle game bring On mullane and co!!!

Well done Sars. Great, entertaining game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

32 county titles and never won munster!

That's astonishing!

Great game, McCormack looks a good prospect, they were the better team looking forward to the del la salle game bring On mullane and co!!!

Just about. They fell asleep in the second half. Granted conditions were poor. Winter has understandably caught up with the best pitch in the country. That said i thought the goal conceded by Sars was poor and in some quarters there was an unwillingness to contest for dirty ball.

• Advertisement

Anyone give Commercials a chance down in Killarney next week? Aherlow got them to ET two years ago so id give them every chance. Good young team coming through. Only drawback for them is that i believe some of their minors are hurling for St Mary's the day before. Darren Cass, Colman Kennedy and Jason Lonergan are good young players and will definitely be important players to call upon Sunday. Kennedy in particular got MOTM in the county football final.

Advertisement