Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    32 county titles and never won munster!

That's astonishing!

To be fair this is 'only' their seventh attampt - 25 County titles were won prior to the introduction of the Munster Championship.

This team I think are not like any team I've seen from Thurles in the last 20 odd years I've been attending games they are no longer that 'soft' townie team that Thurles were before, they have faced real character tests in all of their last three games and came out the right side every time, I think they will go all the way to St Patrick's day myself, alot of that strength of character etc I think is down to the likes of Padraic Maher and Mickey Cahill and I think Eamon O'Shea could do alot worse than make either of those Captain for 2013, probably Padraic.

To be fair this is 'only' their seventh attampt - 25 County titles were won prior to the introduction of the Munster Championship.

This team I think are not like any team I've seen from Thurles in the last 20 odd years I've been attending games they are no longer that 'soft' townie team that Thurles were before, they have faced real character tests in all of their last three games and came out the right side every time, I think they will go all the way to St Patrick's day myself, alot of that strength of character etc I think is down to the likes of Padraic Maher and Mickey Cahill and I think Eamon O'Shea could do alot worse than make either of those Captain for 2013, probably Padraic.

Rumour actually has it O'Shea has told the players that the slate is wiped clean in terms of squad personnel and that only those who want it bad enough, whom ever they may be, will play for Tipperary next year. We can safely assume that Cahill and Maher will be two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Sorry bit of a break from the norm here but have just read Lar's autobiography - decent enough in terms of sports autobiography and a good insight into the player.
    I was reading it on the train and when I finished I had the book down in front of me when I noticed on the front cover that Lar's grip with his right hand at the bottom - golf grip style. Now I remember when I started with the club age circa 7 years old, my coach made me change my grip as 'I was holding it wrong'. Just wondering how many people had this experience. Can't help but wonder if I had stuck with what came naturally, maybe I'd have been scoring for fun oh and of course would at least have been ten times faster just like Lar. So what do people think?
    What advantage or disadvantage does how you hold your hurley really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Suppose it's a case of whatever works best for you. Taggy Fogarty's grip's a bit mental looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Sorry bit of a break from the norm here but have just read Lar's autobiography - decent enough in terms of sports autobiography and a good insight into the player.
    I was reading it on the train and when I finished I had the book down in front of me when I noticed on the front cover that Lar's grip with his right hand at the bottom - golf grip style. Now I remember when I started with the club age circa 7 years old, my coach made me change my grip as 'I was holding it wrong'. Just wondering how many people had this experience. Can't help but wonder if I had stuck with what came naturally, maybe I'd have been scoring for fun oh and of course would at least have been ten times faster just like Lar. So what do people think?
    What advantage or disadvantage does how you hold your hurley really have.

In my opinion there is no right and wrong way, if you have the technique and ball strike it shouldnt matter hand position. Many of these coaching tips come straight from a book, what comes natural is the most important. I have often see a number of lads rising the ball from the ground right handed with a left handed style (if you get what I mean, toe/heel position of the hurley opposite that normal) and it worked excellently for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Padraic Mahers hurling style is one of the strangest at the top level. Left hand on top and he rarely shortens the hurley, but hardly ever gets blocked down or hooked. Great player but I can't work him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Congrats to the cahir ladies intermediate football team who won there semi final up in Fermanagh today 5-9 to 3-4. Good luck in the final.

Great to see seamus Hennessy being called up to the squad loved he's type of game no show boating and really needed in mid field if he makes it and I hear few more young fellas including Jason forde bubbles, couple of the fringe players after dropping out of the squad David young for one.... What ye thing?

And they say he can't score goals :D :pac: 16 seconds in.

A belated well done to our south neighbours down in kilsheelan on winning the junior county final last Sunday.

I heard the same thing regarding the call ups TAL. O'Shea seems to be thinking down the line a bit. That all said though i think we will have the right blend to challenge with the mixture of our strongest 15 and those youths next year. Im smacking my lips with anticipation.

Bit of fear with regards to Paudie Maher though at the moment. I hope he secures work soon

• Advertisement

And they say he can't score goals :D :pac: 16 seconds in.

Great minds think alike. :D That goal was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great to see Seamus Hennessey back,I hope for his sake he stays injury free and does the biz for Tipp.

tippspur wrote: »
    Great to see Seamus Hennessey back,I hope for his sake he stays injury free and does the biz for Tipp.

Fez certainly has the aggression we need and would be a welcome addition in the middle especially up against Mick Fennelly.

Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Bill Maher has a county call up to go along with his medal tally at club and county level in 2012.

O'Shea is going for youth and athleticism next year and i suppose its felt the likes of Young and Shane Maher maybe dont have the legs for the intercounty game any more.

Few others like Brian Stapleton and the Ryan's from Clonakenny also worth a look. Justin Cahill from Kilruane hurled fairly solid this year and David Collins could have made huge difference in the Munster u21 final had it not being for his injury after the Cork u21 game. He was threatening in the forwards in challenges and yet when he had to go back in PUC he was fantastic.

Mines finding very hard down by 3pts half time...... St Mary's being hammered in minor Afinal by nenagh at half time 2-10 to 2pts!!

Mines finding very hard down by 3pts half time...... St Mary's being hammered in minor Afinal by nenagh at half time 2-10 to 2pts!!

Sh*t :(

Really hoped Mary's would challenge at least. Would give hurling in Clonmel a much needed kiss of life if they could have pulled it off or at least go down fighting.

Hope the Mines can come back.

Mines are level now against Ballyduff.

Game of two halves mines played mighty in the second half, forde scored a side line from 55m out....nenagh won 2-16 to 1-06, Jk bracken beaten in the minor B final by arravale that's two minor finals they've lost this year minor A football and B hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Silvermines win by 0-14 to 0-8. Nenagh too good for St. Mary's 2-16 to 1-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

heading to the match tomorrow anyone else going hopfully they do it best luck sars:)

Congratulations Thurles Sarsfields! Only caught the second half but it was a tight and exciting affair. Lots of questions were asked over the red card but I'm sure it was a straight red, ref's decision making has puzzled some. Sars were hungry and late subs Ruth and O' Grady pointed well. In relation to the county: Pa Bourke got man of the match and his last point which sealed it, was phenomenal. Corbett chipped in with three points. Padraic Maher as usual was dominant and Michael Cahill looked good too - they're incredibly hard workers and any county's lucky to have them.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Thurles Sars and Silvermines on their respective Munster successes.

I felt that Sars though will have to up the work rate in the forwards big time if they are to go on and lift the bigger prize. Too many lads unwilling to fight for dirty ball. It was returning to their backs faster then it was going up the field. At times during that second half one would think DLS had the extra man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Congrats to Silvermines and to the Sars on their Munster wins,good weekend for Tipp hurling, long way it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Well done to Sarsfields and Silvermines on being crowned munster champions. Hopefully they can go on and be crowned AI Champions (:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Is Paudie Maher the man to captain Tipp in 2013?

Jim Bowen wrote: »

He was hinting at emigrating in an interview recently but i think should he stay around absolutely. He has been a rock for Sarsfields

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jim Bowen wrote: »

Absolutely 100% and from centre back aswell imo. If we have 15 players on the field next year as commited as Padraic then I have no doubt Liam Mac will return to he's rightfull home next September!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Maher is a fantastic player with even still more potential but have to say I would not like to see him captain next year. I dont think he would be the man for that added responsiblity and probably still needs another year or so to mature as a tipperary player.

Pa is the man I would like to see captain. Has put it alot of hard graft the last few years with the tipp team and stuck at it even when his break into the team looked in doubt. Showed his true potential this year with tipp and is continuing to show it with sars. I think players would listen to him and he seems to have a cool head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Where did Paudie Maher hint at emigrating? Pa needs to cement his place on the team and nail himself down as unpickable before he can be considered as captain. In any case he is a quite lad on and off the field. Hell of a hurler too!

Where did Paudie Maher hint at emigrating? Pa needs to cement his place on the team and nail himself down as unpickable before he can be considered as captain. In any case he is a quite lad on and off the field. Hell of a hurler too!

Paidi said a few weeks ago the only thing keeping him in Ireland is Sars run in the Munster Championship and that he is considering going to America if the lack of work situation continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

This.
    Pa needs to become an established player, and there is enough pressure on him to do that without the captaincy.

Advertisement