Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

We're not still stuck with a captain from the county champions are we?
    Tbh i don't know of many lads apart from probably Paudie Maher and Michael Cahill who would be guaranteed to play, i'd reckon O'Shea is going to make sure everyone earns their spot and from what we saw last year there's a few lads who have to step it up if they want to be in the starting 15

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

OAOB wrote: »
    Tbh i don't know of many lads apart from probably Paudie Maher and Michael Cahill who would be guaranteed to play, i'd reckon O'Shea is going to make sure everyone earns their spot and from what we saw last year there's a few lads who have to step it up if they want to be in the starting 15

I think that the captaincy of the team is of secondary importance imo. Regardless of who gets it everyone will be well up for the challenge of trying to regain Liam McCarthy. If they aren't they will be dropped like a hot spud. Given the success they enjoyed in 2010 :) I would guess without too much trouble there won't be too many leaving without giving it their best shot. So hopefully everyone will show the same commitment as 2010. For what it’s worth I think that PM or MC would be favorites to lead Tipp in 2013. Coupled with the extended run of Sarsfields and Silvermines in their respective competitions there will be a real feel good factor in the camp. Needless to say it would be welcome after the circus that went on in CP in the AI semi against the cats. UP TIPP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No that rule is long gone, but Paudie is the standout candidate in fairness, Brendan Cummins, Paul Curran, Johnno and Eoin Kelly are the more experienced players but are any of them 100% guaranteed to be on the panel let alone the starting 15?

Thankfully that rule was scrapped. Willie Ryan was the last. He couldnt buy a game for us in 2009 yet accepted the Munster trophy. Its an unbelievably ridiculous situation to have on hand and something that should be done at dressing room level was instead being done at County board level.

For me its Padraic as captain with Mickey Cahill or Conor O'Mahony as vice. I suppose though as no one is guaranteed their spot yet its hard to know who will be contenders but we can safely assume both Padraic and Mickey will start imo. Cahill has really grown as a player since 2010 after an initial rocky start.

Pa Bourke's attitude was commendable last year i felt and he started nearly every game but until Pa learns to grab the game by the scruff of the neck on a consistent basis then i dont think he will be contender for such a role

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Things have been going well for Paudie Maher the last few years and fair play to him he has grabbed every chance with both hands. But when the sh*t hit the fan in the All-Ireland final last year he wasnt to be seen along with most of the Tipp team. In fact he probably shouldnt have finished the final after the pull he made across (i think )Eoin Larkin.

Again dont get me wrong. Great player with a huge future and hope hope he has a long career with Tipp. But a bit wet behind the ears for captain.

For those who think Pa needs to cement his place in the team next year. He was our best player last year and should have finished with an all star. I actually forgot about the change in captain selection so I prob wouldn't have Pa either. But a place on that team next year is his to loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

deejer wrote: »
    For those who think Pa needs to cement his place in the team next year. He was our best player last year and should have finished with an all star. I actually forgot about the change in captain selection so I prob wouldn't have Pa either. But a place on that team next year is his to loose.

He wasn't our best player last year and I didn't think he should have even got a nomination for an all star. In our two biggest matches of the year, he was taken off in the first half of one, and the less said about the second the better (not his fault mind).

Having said that, he has been brilliant for Sars this year and I think he will be a big player for Tipp next year and I look forward to that. He has got stronger and is getting stuck in a lot more, he always had the skill and ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm not sure where the questioning of Pa Bourke's come from!? He came along with a big bang this year after years of little to no impact. He was our highest scorer and a dab hand at the frees. He's only 24 and I think it's better he'll get. I know no one's spot is safe but Bourke should be heavily considered.

I do like what O' Shea's doing mind, starting afresh is a good idea.

I'm curious about #2 and #5 positions though. Any preferences? I wonder if Donagh Maher will challenge for it or will Paddy Stapleton get it? Same for Tom Stapleton. They were positions of some instability last year as Curran, Cahill, O' Mahoney, and Maher had their roles locked down.

The year will be interesting to see if Seamie Callanan contests and gets back on top. A fully fit Bonner Maher will have us contesting the league too I believe. I was reading Lar Corbett's book (enjoyable, informative read by the way) and the working relationship he had with Sheedy/O' Shea was absolutely integral to his success under that regime. Bold prediction: I think Lar'll have a great campaign.

Hopefully the midfield combo of Maher and McGrath rights itself again. It regained some of its 2010 form near the end of the last season.

Can it be hurling season yet? I'm getting excited as the above, post-midnight potentially faulty tired thoughts may convey.

I'm not sure where the questioning of Pa Bourke's come from!? He came along with a big bang this year after years of little to no impact. He was our highest scorer and a dab hand at the frees. He's only 24 and I think it's better he'll get. I know no one's spot is safe but Bourke should be heavily considered.

I do like what O' Shea's doing mind, starting afresh is a good idea.

I'm curious about #2 and #5 positions though. Any preferences? I wonder if Donagh Maher will challenge for it or will Paddy Stapleton get it? Same for Tom Stapleton. They were positions of some instability last year as Curran, Cahill, O' Mahoney, and Maher had their roles locked down.

The year will be interesting to see if Seamie Callanan contests and gets back on top. A fully fit Bonner Maher will have us contesting the league too I believe. I was reading Lar Corbett's book (enjoyable, informative read by the way) and the working relationship he had with Sheedy/O' Shea was absolutely integral to his success under that regime. Bold prediction: I think Lar'll have a great campaign.

Hopefully the midfield combo of Maher and McGrath rights itself again. It regained some of its 2010 form near the end of the last season.

Can it be hurling season yet? I'm getting excited as the above, post-midnight potentially faulty tired thoughts may convey.

I think Brendan Mahers best position is midfield but if someone like Seamus Hennessy or even Noel McGrath could slot in there Brendan would solve the issue with the no.5 jersey.

I think Brendan Mahers best position is midfield but if someone like Seamus Hennessy or even Noel McGrath could slot in there Brendan would solve the issue with the no.5 jersey.

I would think Michael Cahill will be looked at this year for wing back after his displays there with Sarsfields.
    However I also think Paudie will go to centre so we still may be looking for a wing back as I am not sure O'Mahony has the legs for it.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I would think Michael Cahill will be looked at this year for wing back after his displays there with Sarsfields.
    However I also think Paudie will go to centre so we still may be looking for a wing back as I am not sure O'Mahony has the legs for it.

Good point about Paudie moving centre, i reckon its definitely going to happen. Cahill could definitely play wing back but not sure if we've 2 good enough corner backs to come into the team, he might have to stay there as its where he'll be needed most.
    Anyone know what size squad we'll be picking from during the league? Hopefully enough to see a lot of players get a chance at some stage. The panel to me looked a bit stale by the end of last year

• Advertisement

Good point about Paudie moving centre, i reckon its definitely going to happen. Cahill could definitely play wing back but not sure if we've 2 good enough corner backs to come into the team, he might have to stay there as its where he'll be needed most.
    Anyone know what size squad we'll be picking from during the league? Hopefully enough to see a lot of players get a chance at some stage. The panel to me looked a bit stale by the end of last year

We will have to see a good few new faces in the squad for the start of the campaign anyway as none of the Sars players will be available. If Sars were out of the club campaign you would probably have the following Sars players in the squad:

Certs:
    Pa, Lar, Paudie, M Cahill.
    And probably D. Maher, A McCormack and maybe Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

It's probably a bit of a senseless debate at this stage but what about Bonner Maher for captain, he is undoubtedly the most selfless player on the team and there is absolutely no questioning his commitment. He's be the first player I'd put as a cert for next year. Not sure how what influence he has in the dressing room but his influence with the other players on the field is huge. I also feel he wouldn't make much of a big deal of being captain and that's what we want - someone whose entirely focused on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Maher is versatile alright. He played no.5 marking Shefflin in 2011 AI and I think he was at that position at minor level.

I think the captaincy should be given to someone who's a real leader. A player who performs brilliantly in matches and training. Someone who can spur on the guys on the field and also give pre and half time speeches and the like. Bonner's a bit young for that I think so a player with a nice balance of experience, leadership, hard work and skill should get it. I think Shane McGrath would be decent.

Also, congratulations to our own Patrick Maher on winning 2012 Munster Senior Hurler of the year.
    Cork and Tipp take Senior Titles at 2012 Bord Gáis Energy Munster GAA Awards

Tipperary hurler Patrick “Bonner” Maher and Cork footballer Donncha O’Connor were today named the top winners of the Bord Gáis Energy Munster GAA Awards 2012. The awards will be presented on Saturday night (December 1st) at a gala dinner in the Malton Hotel in Killarney where over 30 players, officials and legends will receive accolades.

Tipp hurler Patrick “Bonner” Maher was outstanding for this year’s back to back Munster Champions. He’s been a constant fixture for his county in recent years, during which he has amassed three Munster Senior Hurling titles and All-Ireland titles at Senior, Under 21 and Minor Hurling level.

Cork’s Donncha O’Connor was announced as Senior Footballer of the Year and he will also be presented his award in Killarney on Saturday night.

Speaking on the announcement of these winners, Bord Gáis Energy GAA Ambassador Ger Cunningham said “I am delighted that the hard work and achievements of both Patrick Maher and Donncha O’Connor will be recognised at the awards this weekend. Both players have been outstanding for their respective counties over the last few years.”

Also speaking on the announcement of these awards Sean Walsh, Chairman of Munster GAA said “Bonner Maher and Donncha O’Connor contributed hugely to their teams march through Munster to secure titles for Tipperary and Cork respectively.”

Other winners announced today were Services to Refereeing – John Motherway (Cork); Services in Education – Tim O’Byrne (Waterford); Distinguished Service to GAA – Harry Greensmyth (Limerick) and Media Award – Weeshie Fogarty (Kerry).

The Bord Gáis Energy Munster GAA Awards will take place on Saturday, 1 December at 8pm in the Malton Hotel, Killarney.

Senior Hurler of the Year – Patrick “Bonner” Maher (Tipperary)

Patrick “Bonner” Maher is one of hurling’s hardest working players. Having missed the start of the 2012 Championship through injury he made an immediate impact when he came on with less than 30 minutes to go against Limerick. His performance helped secure a victory for Tipperary and he went on to play a big part in their wins over Cork and Waterford to win his third Munster title. In his career to date, Patrick has won All-Ireland medals at Minor, Under 21 and Senior level in addition to winning a County Intermediate Hurling title with his club Lorrha. Patrick is a richly deserving winner of this year’s Munster Senior Hurler of the Year award.

Link: http://munster.gaa.ie/2012/11/26/bord-gais-energy-munster-gaa-awards-2012-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

John O Keeffe started the 2011 AI Final on Shefflin. Brendan Maher came in as a sub and alternated between right half back and midfield. Would like to see Micheal Cahill play half back this year with Paudie at No.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

deejer wrote: »
    Things have been going well for Paudie Maher the last few years and fair play to him he has grabbed every chance with both hands. But when the sh*t hit the fan in the All-Ireland final last year he wasnt to be seen along with most of the Tipp team. In fact he probably shouldnt have finished the final after the pull he made across (i think )Eoin Larkin.

QUOTE]

if you're using that logic none of last years team should be captain. I'd be fairly shocked if a lad is plucked from obscurity, plonked into the team and given the captaincy;)

As regardsthe pull on rice, while it was rash and caused an awful injury I'd be surprised if he meant to cause that kinda damage. However, he should've seen red for the pull across that fella in the 2nd half even though no injury was caused. Thems the rules.

Who would have thought back in 2010 we would be having this discussion about amounting an All Ireland Challenge and trying to dethrone Kilkenny? Im beginning to think when we receive an All Ireland its like handing a 3 year old a grenade without a pin and expecting them not to drop it, and that goes for players and fans, perhaps also even certain managers alike. Hyperbole ensues the minute Liam gets the blue and gold ribbons on. I got as carried away as anyone myself after 2010 but never again. Im keeping my feet firmly rooted on the ground from now on as ive been stung so many times.

There is a mentality in Tipperary hurling that needs to be banished. There is a cockiness and an expectation, however the actual desire at times is very questionable. We expect to get accolades rather then having to work for them. The other day Sarsfield's were beaten in many quarters despite having a man advantage. If there was hunger and work rate present it was with the De La Salle men and they can consider themselves unlucky to have lost the game as it could have been very different if their man hadn't lost his head. I felt Sars got a bit lucky tbh and this is something that has been existent in Tipperary hurling with a long time

I will say in Eamon O'Shea we have the right guidance going forward. I only hope the players start to knuckle down and that they dont leave his reputation in tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I see the Bonnar Maher got Munster hurler of the year,and to think he got no all star award,it's unreal..congrats to him on his award.

I take it the pull some have referred to related by Paudie refers to the one on Micheal Rice not Eoin Larkin

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

I take it the pull some have referred to related by Paudie refers to the one on Micheal Rice not Eoin Larkin

He was actually pulling, or swinging one-handed, on the sliothar - the contact with Rice wasn't intentional. That said, I don't think he handled the aftermath very well - in my opinion he should have contacted Rice directly instead of through the media whenever he was asked about the incident.
    Also I feel he is developing a bit of attitude when things go against him on the pitch. Remember, his two forays up the field in the Munster Club Final? He's tending to do that too much lately and losing the sliothar in the process. He did it a number of time with Tipp during the championship as well. He used to know when to off-load or take a point. The second time he lost the sliothar in the Club final he stupidly got himself yellow-carded.
    All that said, he is a giant of a player who has yet to reach his prime and would be an automatic choice on any hurling team - KK included. I really hope to see him at c/b for Tipp next year a position in which he tends to dominate games - at club level anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Biggest item on the Tipperary GAA scene over the weekend was Declan Browne playing his last game for Moyle Rovers in the County League Final against Eire Og. A truly great player, who brought huge honour to club and county and was a real gentleman both on and off the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

any one know if its true that the co board are trying to cut the number of senior football teams in the county back to 12?

any one know if its true that the co board are trying to cut the number of senior football teams in the county back to 12?

I didnt hear but would agree with it SNM fella. That said, surely cutting the hurling championship back should be the immediate plan first though 19 is also far too much for the football championship considering we are still a relatively fledgling football county.

The problem is you have yo-yo clubs in football such as Mullinahone who are good enough to win the intermediate but just cannot compete at Senior level.

But for me the main problem lies with the SHC in Tipperary and the Co board as well as all of the clubs need to cop on and get real.

tippspur wrote: »
    I see the Bonnar Maher got Munster hurler of the year,and to think he got no all star award,it's unreal..congrats to him on his award.

Munster hurler of the year is exclusively based on the MSHC, so was merited and he didn't deserve an all star as he played no part in the league and the debacle in August put all Tipp players on the back foot, and rightly so tbh.

With regards to the debate on next years team I would love to see a 2-9 of

P Saint COM Conor O'Brien
    B Maher Padraic Maher M Cahill
    S Hennessy N McGrath

Munster hurler of the year is exclusively based on the MSHC, so was merited and he didn't deserve an all star as he played no part in the league and the debacle in August put all Tipp players on the back foot, and rightly so tbh.

With regards to the debate on next years team I would love to see a 2-9 of

P Saint COM Conor O'Brien
    B Maher Padraic Maher M Cahill
    S Hennessy N McGrath

Its a good looking 2-9 but to be honest i'd hope to see new lads breaking into positions along there. With the exception of Hennessy these lads have been starters since 2010 (not all in those positions) and we need to see younger talent coming through and pushing the incumbents to improve

Conor O Brien is not a corner back, good player but we need specialised player there. COM hasent played full back since 05 when he came on as sub againts GY. Big ask.....Noel McGrath has neither the physicality or workrate to play centre field. Fennelly/Rice combo would eat him alive.

Conor O Brien is not a corner back, good player but we need specialised player there. COM hasent played full back since 05 when he came on as sub againts GY. Big ask.....Noel McGrath has neither the physicality or workrate to play centre field. Fennelly/Rice combo would eat him alive.

Conor O Brien was one of our few players to come out of last year with any credit, lest not forget that Conor played a massive massive part in 2010 against Galway along with Pa Bourke in turning that game around, which made the AI possible.

COM has played plenty of hurling FB for both Tipp and Fitzgibbon, Paul Curran looked dead on he's feet last year and we have no other realistic alternatives at FB, Kevin O'Gorman is extremely poor, the only other viable alternative would seem to be Andrew Ryan Toom, but he lacks experience.

Noel McGrath did all he's best hurling with Loughmore and Tipp under 21's in Midfield, he becomes far too isolated in the corner and needs to be brought out further and be more involved in the game, himself and Hennessy are a perfect compliment to each other imo.

Fennelly/Rice had one very good year together, not even that, two games at the most, and we are still hearing about it, We as Tipp men need to forget about KK, we'll get our own house in order and let KK worry about us, Galway beat KK in midfield twice last year with a midfield I would'nt let hurl a Junior B game.

Conor O Brien was one of our few players to come out of last year with any credit, lest not forget that Conor played a massive massive part in 2010 against Galway along with Pa Bourke in turning that game around, which made the AI possible.

COM has played plenty of hurling FB for both Tipp and Fitzgibbon, Paul Curran looked dead on he's feet last year and we have no other realistic alternatives at FB, Kevin O'Gorman is extremely poor, the only other viable alternative would seem to be Andrew Ryan Toom, but he lacks experience.

Noel McGrath did all he's best hurling with Loughmore and Tipp under 21's in Midfield, he becomes far too isolated in the corner and needs to be brought out further and be more involved in the game, himself and Hennessy are a perfect compliment to each other imo.

Fennelly/Rice had one very good year together, not even that, two games at the most, and we are still hearing about it, We as Tipp men need to forget about KK, we'll get our own house in order and let KK worry about us, Galway beat KK in midfield twice last year with a midfield I would'nt let hurl a Junior B game.

Conor played wing back in 2010 when introduced against Galway. I'm not doubting his ability as a hurler, just doubting his ability to play corner back a very specialised position.

Have never seen COM play senior inter county hurling for Tipp at No.3. Fitzgibbon hurling isnt worth a curse could not judge a player on that standard played in ****e and mud in Winter.

I'd like to be proved wrong about Noel at centre field but just dont think he has the drive and work rate for it. Again huge difference between Loughmore seniors and Tipp seniors but I take your point and your observation about Galways midfield:)

Conor played wing back in 2010 when introduced against Galway. I'm not doubting his ability as a hurler, just doubting his ability to play corner back a very specialised position.

Have never seen COM play senior inter county hurling for Tipp at No.3. Fitzgibbon hurling isnt worth a curse could not judge a player on that standard played in ****e and mud in Winter.

I'd like to be proved wrong about Noel at centre field but just dont think he has the drive and work rate for it. Again huge difference between Loughmore seniors and Tipp seniors but I take your point and your observation about Galways midfield:)

Dont think corner back is the specialised position it once was, the outstanding corner back in hte couintry this year was Paul Murphy who played all he's hurling in the half back line up through the ranks, JJ and Tommy Walsh played for sustained periods in corner back this year also and Johnny Coen was the other outstanding Corner Back, also a half back underage and with he's club.

I dont think it's that much of a leap to suggest the natural progression from CB once a certain age is reached is to relocate to FB and as I said earlier there are no ready made alternatives.

The Noel in midfield would undoubtedly be a risk, but surely thats what hte league etc is for, we need to try something with Noel, he was very poor last year and if he was to continue in that vein of form would be lucky to be in the first 15 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

AFAIK the aim is to reduce the number of Senior Football clubs to 16 over the next couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Shane McGrath for Captain, no better player for passion, work rate and heart for the cause!

Advertisement