Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

alan27 wrote: »
    Shane McGrath for Captain, no better player for passion, work rate and heart for the cause!

Has struggled since 2010. Might be challenged for a spot next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Shane McGrath for Captain, no better player for passion, work rate and heart for the cause!

On a world trip at the moment and don't think he'll be back for the start of the training so i think that should rule him out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

OAOB wrote: »
    On a world trip at the moment and don't think he'll be back for the start of the training so i think that should rule him out

He will be back December 18th, but tbh I dont think he will be on the 15 next year and may not even be on hte panel If O'Shea decides a clear out is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Best of luck to the cahir ladies football team tomorrow in the all ireland intermediate football final, gonna be a tuff ask against an experienced parrnells of London, come on the slashers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Best of luck to the cahir ladies football team tomorrow in the all ireland intermediate football final, gonna be a tuff ask against an experienced parrnells of London, come on the slashers ;)

Hon the lady Slashers... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Result of the match??

Can't find it anywhere!

Hammered out the gate, 2-14 to 1-2, didn't score in the first the 1st half 0-8 to 0-0, parnells looked like a county team well oiled they had plenty of ex county players on there team, there youngest player was 21 cahir's oldest 21.... They had a good run fair play to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ah balls ty.

Don't they have a player that plays for Arsenal's Ladies? V. impressive.

callaway92 wrote: »
    ah balls ty.

Don't they have a player that plays for Arsenal's Ladies? V. impressive.

Yeah fahy, she got player of the year last year for arsenal plays for the Irish women's team and also won an all Ireland with Galway and she has an all star aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Joe Hannigan elected Chairman of Tipperary Football Board, to succeed Noel Morris, who retired after 5 years in the post. Hopefully, the next 5 years will bring as much (or more) success as the last 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

robbiezero wrote: »
    Has struggled since 2010. Might be challenged for a spot next year.

I think that's a bit unfair and he's been fairly inconsistant but he was very good in spells last year. I think Seamus Hennessey should be given a shot but I don't think we'll pick up two midfielders to drop McGrath tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What's everyones first XV for the upcoming season:

It'll be good to have Saint back again.
    Cummins
    Saint COM COB
    BM PM Cahill
    SMcG Ryan
    Burke Bonner NMcG
    Lar JOB Bourke

I think Noel McGrath will be given time in midfield in the league and hopefully Seamus Hennessey will get time too. That team looks decent to me although I don't like that FF line too much and obviously the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Interesting article in the indo about O'Shea's initial panel http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/oshea-delight-as-corbett-and-cummins-stay-another-year-3324021.html

Hennessy only in the extended squad is a suprise but i reckon that doesn't mean too much at this point of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Would have liked to see more younger players getting a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Amazing that Denis Maher hasn't even made the extended panel. Thought it might be because Thurles could still be involved well into the league, but then I saw Corbett, Paudie Maher, Bourke and Corbett all listed. Is John Meagher the same fella who was on the Tipp minor football team when they won it last year?

Yes one and the same John Meagher. Hopefully, he will be available to play for the Under 21 footballers as well.

Amazing that Denis Maher hasn't even made the extended panel. Thought it might be because Thurles could still be involved well into the league, but then I saw Corbett, Paudie Maher, Bourke and Corbett all listed. Is John Meagher the same fella who was on the Tipp minor football team when they won it last year?

Denis Maher is a bit of an enigma tbh, he is very very good on he's day but in all my years watching hurling I would say he is the most inconsistent hurler I ever seen, its probably because of he's bulk and size that when he is playing bad he stands out even more than most. Personally think he's hurling is too slow aswell and its probably why most of he's best performance have been in the Winter/Spring time. All that said when on form he is virtually unmarkable. Aidan McCormack is the thurles forward I would consider unlucky, but I'm sure its very much an open door.

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Thomas Hamill was minor last year, John Meagher and Jason Forde are only 19and Bill Maher was asked in but has decided to take a year out, anymore than that at the one time would have been absolute madness.

Thomas Hamill was minor last year, John Meagher and Jason Forde are only 19and Bill Maher was asked in but has decided to take a year out, anymore than that at the one time would have been absolute madness.

Your right tbf PS they are only young and their time will come. O'Shea obviously does rate them if he is giving them training programs but see's it more of a long term thing.

As for captaincy does anyone believe with it possibly being his last season and being the terrific servant he has been that Brendan Cummins should get the nod to be captain and that is regardless of whether he starts or not next year?

It would be wonderful if such a good man to have in a dressing room and good leader have this opportunity.

Denis Maher is a bit of an enigma tbh, he is very very good on he's day but in all my years watching hurling I would say he is the most inconsistent hurler I ever seen, its probably because of he's bulk and size that when he is playing bad he stands out even more than most. Personally think he's hurling is too slow aswell and its probably why most of he's best performance have been in the Winter/Spring time. All that said when on form he is virtually unmarkable. Aidan McCormack is the thurles forward I would consider unlucky, but I'm sure its very much an open door.

Agree with you on that. Very much a jekyl and hyde type hurler. I seen him at number 6 play a few challenges last year and his performances blew me away. I thought to myself if he can bring that intensity into challenges then what will he bring into competitive games. Then he played no6 v Cork albeit in rough conditions and had a very subdued game.
    Then he got 1-1 against Limerick in the forwards but i cant help feeling he could have hurled alot better in the defeat vs Clare in the Munster u21 final.

• Advertisement

As for captaincy does anyone believe with it possibly being his last season and being the terrific servant he has been that Brendan Cummins should get the nod to be captain and that is regardless of whether he starts or not next year?

It would be wonderful if such a good man to have in a dressing room and good leader have this opportunity.

Not the most liked man in the dressing room from all accounts. persoanlly i have a sneaking feeling he won't make the 15 this year, the mistake against KK last year was coming for along time, he droped another ball against Waterford and was blessed to get awat with it, and made another error against Cork. To be fair to Brendan thats probably as many mistakes as he has made in 15 years but worrying all the same. Darren Gleeson is an excellent keeper and a dark horse for the position is Darragh Egan who was on the panel in 2010 as a forward but has not reverted to the goals due to a knee injury he is a quailty keeper and had an outstanding year with he's club, played county minor in goals in he's first year and outfield he's second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I predict that Brendan Cummins will make it, be nominated as captain and end his career on a deservingly high note.

This post comes from South Tipperary the home of Tipperary football and say the time is long overdue when the rest of the county got behind our footballers who are putting a great effort on all levels.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

persoanlly i have a sneaking feeling he won't make the 15 this year,

I've a suspicion he will.
    he droped another ball against Waterford and was blessed to get awat with it,

Made four (arguable five) saves that day and one a sure-fire goal chance as well as stopping a free. He closed down and blocked Eoin Kelly. That day he and the defense were solid. Clean sheet.
    and made another error against Cork.

Dead play wasn't it? Cork had a man in the box. Clean sheet.
    To be fair to Brendan thats probably as many mistakes as he has made in 15 years but worrying all the same.

True regarding the mistakes but no real grounds for worry. Of the 81 championship goals Cummins conceded only one could be regarded as an error – on his debut against Waterford in 1995 Cummins let a tame shot through his legs. "Debut" is key.
    the mistake against KK last year was coming for along time,

Of course. By the statistical law of averages, mistakes will happen. Like above, Cummins is almost-rock solid for most of his career. This season he proved good. He made some nice saves, including the Limerick game where he point blank saved Graeme Mulcahy but Mulcahy beat him on the second effort. In that game he was part of the defensive resurgence that supplied a lot of ball to the forwards and eventually fought back.

Patsy fyre wrote: »

There are a few young enough players there. O' Neill is 22. Jason Forde served on minors. Thomas Hamill is young too having served at minor level. Then you've a large amount of "vets" who are still young: Paudie Maher, Michael Cahill, Noel McGrath and co. It's possible that O' Shea having served in with Sheedy and Ryan will adopt a mixed bag of experience and youth, just like 2010 and that was a factor in success. This squad looks a slight embodiment of that.

I'm really interested to see if Seamus Callanan steps up, what the midfield will be and if Eoin Kelly will bounce back. O' Shea has his hands full with the back six alone. There's a lot of talking points with this team.

Reacher Creature, I would love to know where you got the figure that of 81 goals that Brendan Cummins conceded (by your count, as I have no idea how many goals were conceded by Tipp in those games), only one could be regarded as an error. IMO it is just not possible that any goalkeeper could concede 81 goals and only be at fault for 1. A top class goalkeeper he is, but he is not Superman.

Not my creation Davin Stand. Merely pulling it from Christy O' Connor's research. O' Connor is a pretty good writer and author so I'm sure it's somewhat credible.

I had a look at this a while back: http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/of-the-81-goals-cummins-has-conceded-only-1-could-be-considered-a-goalkeeper-error-2816138.html

I think O' Connor's "error" is stuff like falling into net, dropping balls into goals, parrying the ball behind the line and aspects of goalkeeping like that.

Few articles I came across relating to the hurling.
    Callanan tips Cummins to join ‘40’ club

By Paul Keane

Legendary Tipperary goalkeeper Brendan Cummins has been tipped to join hurling’s elite ‘40’ club.
    The two time All-Ireland winning stopper, 37, has been included in new boss Eamon O’Shea’s panel for 2012.

It means that he’s all but certain to retain his jersey in next summer’s Championship when he is 38.

The Ballybacon-Grange clubman has always prided himself on his fitness and team-mate Seamus Callanan reckons he’ll be still be in peak shape for action at 40.

Crucially, Callanan believes Cummins, who already holds the record for hurling Championship appearances, will be keen to play on and reach the magical figure in a Tipp jersey.

"It’s a low point when Brendan is coming back and he’s still fitter than me at 24," smiled Callanan. "I can’t see that man stopping any time soon.

"The fitness, and the way he minds himself, he really is just someone you look up to and you see him coming back fitter than ever again. It just shows his great discipline. I’m sure there’s a few more years left in him yet."

Callanan has pleaded with GAA chiefs to leave hurling alone. Gaelic football looks set to undergo major change next year when the Football Review Committee’s 18 strong list of proposals are voted upon at Congress. But the 2010 All-Ireland medallist says they shouldn’t even dream of making any changes to the small ball game.

"I think it’s perfect the way it is," said Callanan. "If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it."

Meanwhile John Meagher of Loughmore Castleiney and John O’Dwyer of Killenaule are the two newcomers to the Tipperary squad announced yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/callanan-tips-cummins-to-join-40-club-216850.html
    O'Shea ready to hand Hennessy Premier recall

By Cliona Foley

NEW Tipperary hurling manager Eamon O'Shea presented fit-again Seamus Hennessy with a masters degree and is expected to recall him to his new-look Premier squad.

O'Shea, who is head of economics at NUI Galway, where Hennessy is a post-graduate student, is expected to be without David Young and Shane Maher next year. They have reportedly withdrawn from inter-county hurling.

No high-profile retirements are expected and Jason Forde (Silvermines), John O'Dwyer (Killenaule), John Meagher (Loughmore-Castleiney) and minor star Thomas Hamill are all believed to be part of an extended pre-season panel.

Link for above: http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/oshea-ready-to-hand-hennessy-premier-recall-3302961.html
    O’Shea: "Lar will find best form"
    By Jackie Cahill
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012

New Tipperary senior hurling manager Eamon O’Shea has predicted Lar Corbett will rediscover his best form in the blue and gold shirt in 2013.
    O’Shea was coach when Tipp won the All-Ireland title in 2010 when the Thurles Sars hitman bagged a hat-trick in the final against Kilkenny.

Corbett, 31, stunned the hurling world earlier this year when he quit the Tipperary squad, before returning before the Munster SHC quarter-final against Limerick in May.

But Corbett finished the 2012 championship campaign scoreless – and became embroiled in that bizarre sideshow with team-mate Pa Bourke and Kilkenny pair Tommy Walsh and Jackie Tyrrell in the All-Ireland semi-final.

"He’s had a very good run with Thurles and I’m hoping when we do eventually see Lar, which hopefully is after they win an All-Ireland club final on March 17, that he’ll come back ready and fresh to hurl," O’Shea said.

"He’ll be treated the same as any other player – every player is the same in this set-up. I’m looking forward to working with him again."

O’Shea, speaking to journalists last evening at the Horse and Jockey, flanked by selector Michael Ryan and coach Paudie O’Neill, revealed an official 26-man panel for the 2013 season – and all of the Premier County’s long-serving stars are back on board.

O’Shea has been boosted by the return of established names such as goalkeeper Brendan Cummins, 2010 All-Ireland winning captain Eoin Kelly, full-back Paul Curran, forward John O’Brien and 2010 Hurler of the Year Corbett.

The squad includes two newcomers – John Meagher of Loughmore-Castleiney and Killenaule’s John O’Dwyer – who will be given the chance to impress during the Allianz Hurling League.

An extended panel of nine players has also been announced, featuring Clonoulty-Rossmore pair John O’Neill and John O’Keeffe, who were members of the full squad last season.

Jason Forde, who enjoyed a memorable 2012, is also on the extended list, along with O’Shea’s Kilruane MacDonagh’s clubmate Seamus Hennessy, a 2010 All-Ireland senior and U21 medallist who made a long overdue return from injury.

Forde, a former Tipperary minor captain, won an All-Ireland colleges medal with Nenagh CBS this year, made his U21 inter-county debut and recently inspired Silvermines to AIB Munster intermediate club glory.

Thomas Hamill, a member of Tipp’s 2012 All-Ireland minor winning team, has also been included in the extended list of players, who will look to break through to the main squad.

"When you’re on a management team, you’re all the time hoping you’ve got the best players available to you and certainly, with all of those players [experienced] available to us and competing for places, it’s good," said O’Shea. "All of the things that experienced players give us, we have. I’m very happy that all of those players are there, really happy."

Reflecting on Tipp’s 18-point defeat by the Cats, which represented the Premier County’s heaviest championship defeat since the late 1800s, O’Shea admitted that looking on in a watching brief was a sobering experience.

"It’s not nice, particularly in Tipperary, where hurling means quite a bit here," he explained. "It means more, sometimes, than life itself.

"Everyone’s affected when the team doesn’t perform the way we want it to perform. I understand that. It’s important therefore that the team understands that. It means so much to us, it’s deep set into us. Some call it tradition but it’s a bit more than tradition – it’s part of our life. And therefore, we’re bound to be hurt when we lose. I was no different."

And O’Shea acknowledged Tipp will start the new year in the chasing pack looking to make up ground on 2012 All-Ireland finalists Kilkenny and Galway. But he expressed huge belief in the ability of a talented group of players at his disposal and backed them to bounce back strongly from the scarring experience of last August.

"Some days you’ll get a result that is not an accurate reflection of the ability of the team but it’s an accurate reflection of the game that was played. Tipp were in that game [Kilkenny] until half-time, they were leading at half-time. The second half went a particularly different way and the team ended up getting beaten.

"But is that an accurate reflection of the team and the belief that we have in them? No. The reality at the moment is that we are behind two teams – the data tells us that we’re behind Kilkenny, and we’re behind Galway. We have to catch up."

Tipperary senior hurling panel 2013: B Cummins, D Gleeson, D Maher, P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill, J Meagher, T Stapleton, C O’Brien, C O’Mahony, Pádraic Maher, B Maher, J Woodlock, G Ryan, S McGrath, J Ryan, Patrick Maher, N McGrath, L Corbett, P Bourke, J O’Dwyer, E Kelly, S Callanan, S Bourke, J O’Brien, B O’Meara.

Nine-man extended panel: S Curran, J Forde, T Hamill, T Hammersley, M Heffernan, S Hennessy, J O’Keeffe, J O’Neill, A Ryan.

Link: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/oshea-lar-will-find-best-form-216771.html

Radio interview with O' Shea here http://www.newstalk.ie/eamon-o-shea-facing-tipp-challenge He's coming off really well here. Huge levels of positivity and plans for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Posted from the GAA banter page 32383_448581055208489_1533134739_n.jpg

Ardfinnan V Moyle Rovers

True regarding the mistakes but no real grounds for worry. Of the 81 championship goals Cummins conceded only one could be regarded as an error – on his debut against Waterford in 1995 Cummins let a tame shot through his legs. "Debut" is key.

So you don't think that the goal Taggy scored last year was a mistake from Brendan?? The Cummins I know would have caught that shot in he's mouth if he so wished it was such a tame shot, father time waits for no man and it is only inevitable that at 38 the reflexes won't be as sharp as they once were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

So you don't think that the goal Taggy scored last year was a mistake from Brendan?? The Cummins I know would have caught that shot in he's mouth if he so wished it was such a tame shot, father time waits for no man and it is only inevitable that at 38 the reflexes won't be as sharp as they once were.
    Also Larry O'Gorman hit one in the 01 semi that from right behind the shot was going straight for the middle of his chest but he got out of the way and we ended up almost getting caught and scraped a draw. The '96 Munster Replay goals were nothing to be proud of.In a backdoor match in Galway that we were cruising a ball fell in and we held on by a point luckily. The penalty was deflected in past the backman in the 09 Final,the 2nd was dodgy enough.The goal was left completely open in the 11 Final for the goal granted it was a great shot,but positioning was poor.At least 3 times in Cork over the years he was beaten at his near post by shots.Of course he has made saves but to say only one goal was a mistake is a poor joke since he began..

Advertisement