Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

looder wrote: »
    PremierView is in meltdown over there. . .

?

PremierView is in meltdown over there. . .

Whats going on over there looder? Cant say id be too bothered if it shut down. If the little niche of pals over there dont like someones comment it turns into a censorship situation you'd only see in Syria. The person is locked out without given any feedback. No systematic approach to violations unlike Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

He returned to goals last year for Killenaule due to Matt O'Donnells absence. Gerry had a super puck out but im not quite sure he would have become the custodian in the Cummins or Donal Og mould. Was a between 2 stools player

Theres no sign of him getting back involved with the county panel so?

Theres no sign of him getting back involved with the county panel so?

Not at present though many are praising Daragh Egan's goalkeeping capabilities so if Gerry was to keep his place in goals next year and perform well then things could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

PremierView took away the Premier Bar section the other day and I called his bluff and said it was a publicity stunt (which ultimately it turned out to be). I set up http://talkhurling.proboards.com as it looked like PV was well and truly gone as the hurling section was also blocked at one stage.

Somebody hacked the TalkHurling board as it was starting to pick up pace in getting members and sent the 20 odd members a message saying Up GAEJ (That imaginary organisation that exists on PV). They then delete the TalkHurling board and I get banned from PV along with 5 or 6 other regular posters over there.

TalkHurling is now back up and running and will hopefully take off as I for one will never post on PV again and I need my daily internet hurling fix :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Do PremierView only accept new members once a month or am I wrong?

Do PremierView only accept new members once a month or am I wrong?

I tried to setup another account back in June and i still didnt get activiation code. The one benefit was that it was handy to get updates from the club games. Fair play to looder on the breakaway. A proper two fingers to dictatorship and censorship. Ive just signed up there now and ill tell everyone i know

RIP Premierview. You and your pathetic powertrip cronies will be forgotten soon :) Enjoy your chats amongst the 6 of you and the tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

PremierView took away the Premier Bar section the other day and I called his bluff and said it was a publicity stunt (which ultimately it turned out to be). I set up http://talkhurling.proboards.com as it looked like PV was well and truly gone as the hurling section was also blocked at one stage.

Somebody hacked the TalkHurling board as it was starting to pick up pace in getting members and sent the 20 odd members a message saying Up GAEJ (That imaginary organisation that exists on PV). They then delete the TalkHurling board and I get banned from PV along with 5 or 6 other regular posters over there.

TalkHurling is now back up and running and will hopefully take off as I for one will never post on PV again and I need my daily internet hurling fix :)
    The owner of PV has turned into a right little Hitler,a dictator.Say anything he doesn't like and your out,I think you did call his bluff and he got a right kick up the hole and panicked.

tippspur wrote: »
    The owner of PV has turned into a right little Hitler,a dictator.Say anything he doesn't like and your out,I think you did call his bluff and he got a right kick up the hole and panicked.

People make comments they shouldn't all the time but to be kicked off a site without even feedback for one comment that 'hitler' doesn't like is sheer disgraceful. Its censorship of the highest degree. Well he got his answer along with his chums. Dead and buried over arrogance

It used to be once every few months. I know there was a 3 or 4 month ban on taking in new members at one stage. It wouldn't surprise me if he opens it up to new members again now though since he's lost a few other ones.

Somebody said something about a charge for new members using it too although I'm not sure how true that is.

RE the club games. I lived abroad for a while and I would have been lost only for PV. It genuinely is a great service if you can put up with some of the stuff that goes with posting there.

The new forum (HurlingTalk) will make a concious effort to get live updates from as many matches as we can this year and a team will be in place to do it before the Club Championship kicks off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Twitter is your friend when it comes to live updates for Club matches.

There's 2 or 3 great apps out there. I was doing it for the club this year. Fair handy to do it with the apps.

Congrats Upperchurch/Drombane on their u21B victory today. Scoreline Upperchurch 1-17 Golden 0-15

Best of luck to both Sars and Clonoulty tomorrow.

Interview with Eamon O'Shea here on the Examiner
    Restoring the pride of the Premier

By Michael Moynihan
    Saturday, December 29, 2012
    Eamon O’Shea in conversation with Tipperary goalkeeper Brendan Cummins back in 2010.
    It was the defining snapshot of a campaign. In 2010 when Tipperary won the All-Ireland hurling final, coach Eamon O’Shea addressed the players in Croke Park seconds before the throw-in.

Attack, attack, attack: O’Shea was visible, giving his charges their final instructions.

O’Shea’s return as manager has Tipperary fans slavering at the thought of a repeat of that stylish onslaught, unsurprisingly.

Pity they’re not going to see that, then.

"It all depends on your resources, but the way we played in 2010 is gone. Whatever way we do it now will depend on our resources, on the opposition, on a lot of things.

"If you don’t evolve and if you’re not conscious of how other teams change, then you won’t be competitive. I’d have a fair idea of how we’re going to play but we’ll have to wait and see if we reach that or not.

"But every manager is looking at his resources and wondering how he can maximise them — and also looking at Kilkenny and Galway and thinking, ‘if we’re going to win the All-Ireland, we’re going to have to beat the two of them, probably’. We’re no different but we’ll look at ourselves first, the other teams second.

"That’s the only way you can do it because if you overdo looking at the other teams, you won’t be true to their own style."

Typically measured. By day, O’Shea is the head of NUIG’s economics department, so clear-eyed assessment comes naturally. Take his views on team discipline, for instance.

"Any successful team has to have a structure in how it sets itself up — what are the values of the team, the limits inside and outside in terms of discipline, the relationship with the supporters.

"All successful teams have that and it’s critical.

"We’d be no different, in terms of setting that up. Once you set up the framework and once you do that, it’s usually okay. And when it’s not okay, then there are consequences.

"It’s pretty simple in terms of my approach to those sorts of issues. There’s a framework there and it’s better, I think, if the players set the boundaries themselves in conjunction with the management team.

"Anyway, from being involved before, I knew there was a period when you’re just getting things together, and this is that period, organising things and getting everything in place.

"But the most enjoyable comes in playing games, obviously. That’s the key."

His years alongside Liam Sheedy and Michael Ryan culminated in the All-Ireland win; O’Shea says there was "good and bad" in knowing what was involved, but he draws your attention to a nuance of that management team which not everyone noticed.

"From the point of view of the last time, we shared everything the last time.

"People might have had a view that there was a manager managing, I was coaching, Mick Ryan doing the other things, but we shared a lot of the work, the decision-making was always shared, and that decision-making was shared on what I was doing as coach, certainly.

"I knew what was involved, certainly, the big difference is responsibility — the manager takes responsibility, but ultimately he takes responsibility for failures rather than success. Success is shared but the way things operate, the manager gets the blame for failure, which is fair enough. Ultimately he carries the can, but the way we operate, there are shared responsibilities.

"And that makes it doable as well. It wouldn’t work as a one-man show, certainly not for me. Mick Ryan is the assistant manager but that’s not just a title, he’d be picking up a lot of stuff locally and I’m not local. That’s the kind of stuff that has to be sorted."

There’s other stuff. Take Lar Corbett’s autobiography: it glows with praise for O’Shea, but it’s an unusual situation, surely, to go into management with a book in circulation detailing your previous stint with the same team?

"Any manager would like to keep as much as possible in-house, but though I haven’t read the book yet I wouldn’t be too bothered by that, those are the circumstances.

"One thing is that if you’re not evolving as a manager or coach, you’re in trouble.

"I’m not bothered by what people think I used to do — it’s what we do now that’s important, otherwise, if things stay the same, you’ll get the same results."

How about the notorious semi-final defeat to Kilkenny and the Corbett-Tyrrell tactic which drew derision down on the Tipp team and management? "I was at the game and I didn’t notice the tactic initially. The game was strange in that in the first half, there was little in it, Tipp led at half-time, but as the game changed, you’d expect tactics to change, I became aware of the tactic in the second half, as the crowd reacted.

"I was more concerned that we could have taken the game to them a bit more and played the game we were in control of. That’d be my view of it.

"Was I surprised by the reaction in Tipp? When we got beaten by Cork in 2010 there was a reaction. People take it seriously and the supporters are hugely important in terms of their relationship with the team, for instance.

"The reaction is partly to do with the expectations of that team, expectations they helped to create, so you’re going to get a reaction if they lose."

There’s a glow on the horizon, mind. Tipp collected the minor All-Ireland last September, and O’Shea points out that it wasn’t the only cup the county picked up in 2012.

"Tipp won the intermediate and the minor championships last year. Your senior can’t always win, but it’s nice when they don’t, that your minor team does.

"And the U21s did well this year, too, so we were there or thereabouts while Thurles Sars won the Munster club as well, so there are good things happening.

"That’s good for the morale of the county but it’s not always good for the senior team, because players need to evolve at the pace they need to. Not every player can walk off the minor team — or the U21 team — onto the senior team, so what you need to do is to maximise the possibilities, that those who can will.

"We have some young players in now but they may not necessarily feature next year — it depends on their adaptability — but there’s a structure there within which they can develop."

O’Shea differentiates between the current crop and the golden generation of players Tipp reaped from the 2007 minor team.

"We were blessed with them, the likes of Padraic, Bonner and Brendan Maher, Noel McGrath, they helped us to win the All-Ireland.

"You could say we picked them on the team but there was no great decision involved. They were at a level of maturity, skill, discipline that made the decision easy.

"That decision isn’t always easy. And some of the players who mightn’t be ready are worth waiting for, but it’s a question of making those judgment calls correctly. I see part of my role as ensuring the senior team performs well, but making sure the structures around us are sound as well."

Is the target an All-Ireland, as simple as that? "Obviously the supporters want to win an All-Ireland but what I want is to have Tipperary playing in a particular way to maximise their performance and their potential.

"That begins with high workrate and ends on matchday. I can’t say at this stage whether Tipperary will win the All-Ireland or not, but what I can say is that Tipperary will have a high work ethic and will play in a particular way.

"I’d see Tipp at the moment as behind the top two, Kilkenny and Galway, and as having to make up ground. There are probably eight teams who could potentially win the All-Ireland; there may be various probabilities associated with their chances, but I’d see eight teams there. Tipperary are in that group, and you’re going to find that some of those teams will push forward, some won’t, but my job is to make sure we’re in a position to push forward. We’d have targets, but they may not necessarily be to win the All-Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I can't agree at all with the over the top criticism of Premierview. It is a fine site that I have enjoyed reading for several years. Best of luck to Talk Hurling, but my advice is to do your own thing and stop looking back to Premierview and its faults as you see them. One more GAA site can only be good.

I can't agree at all with the over the top criticism of Premierview. It is a fine site that I have enjoyed reading for several years. Best of luck to Talk Hurling, but my advice is to do your own thing and stop looking back to Premierview and its faults as you see them. One more GAA site can only be good.

Id agree with many of your sentiments and I used to love to post on Premierview as much as anyone but for me to be just banned from the site without warning or feedback of some sort was both cowardly and despicable.

When you behave in that manner and get drunk on power like that the chickens eventually come home to roost. I do hope if they do return that the operators will behave with a bit of maturity. I believe #talkhurling will be a success and will have learned many lessons from premierview's demise and what caused it

Clonoulty 0-8 v Sars 0-7 35 minutes gone.

Last fixture of the year so new thread for 2013 opened.

Thurles Sars have added the under 21 title to their Senior crown. 0-15 - 0-12 winners over Clonoulty aided by a strong wind in the second half.

Happy new year to all fellow Tipperary boardsies. The new thread is now open for 2013 but anyone who wishes to discuss any of the recent club games perhaps discuss them here for now

Thurles Sars have added the under 21 title to their Senior crown. 0-15 - 0-12 winners over Clonoulty aided by a strong wind in the second half.

Happy new year to all fellow Tipperary boardsies. The new thread is now open for 2013 but anyone who wishes to discuss any of the recent club games perhaps discuss them here for now
    Sars must be sick of winning County titles.

Fair play to them though. The good start against the wind was what won it for them.

Sars must be sick of winning County titles.

Fair play to them though. The good start against the wind was what won it for them.

Ah they have a serious crop coming through alright. Credit must be given to Durlas Og in this regard who have cultivated a huge amount of youngsters for them the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Thurles CBS playing great hurling this year in the harty cup, they must eat sleep and p**s hurling in that town fair play to them.can only be good for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

does anyone know what time the match is starting sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

sound lad

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Advertisement