Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

1-08 to 1-06 to Tipperary at the half. Pa Bourke with the goal.

Good win for Tipp. Ill give management credit they reverted to a shorter game today which suited tipp alot better. tipp conceded alot of points with errors though and that needs to be ironed out.

The footballers were extremely poor. they have fallen very far from the great heights. Some of them just dont look bothered. Today cavan got a lot of scores and would probably be under as much pressure if they were playing Kilkenny in football. Worst thing is the final scoreline of 4-10 to 14 points really flattered us.

Holy sh*t has the gentle giant woken?

602778.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Great win today but im getting concerned by the high scores the opposition are putting up against us maybe we can do some work on it!!! Due to work commitments i was unable to go to the match so was anyone at it who could give us an insight into how the players were doing the players im most interested in hearing about today is Shane Bourke and John o Neil.

I'm more interested in why dreamy Bonner Maher isn't playing! Injury perchance.

• Advertisement

carey2010 wrote: »
    Great win today but im getting concerned by the high scores the opposition are putting up against us maybe we can do some work on it!!! Due to work commitments i was unable to go to the match so was anyone at it who could give us an insight into how the players were doing the players im most interested in hearing about today is Shane Bourke and John o Neil.

Ill agree with your concern and i can confirm alot of scores conceded today was from overplaying and thus losing the ball very easily and sloppily. That said the short ball game was used and i am quite encouraged having seen it as it played to our strengths.
    Shane Bourke scored two lovely points from play but was starved of any good ball. John O'Neill also scored two lovely points and i have to say he made a 50 yard run to get a block in at the later stage of the game. he could convert me yet.
    Pa Bourke though was Tipp's best player in my opinion. Every touch had such a purpose. He really put himself about today. Have to say its a different team that went to Nolan two weeks ago and i was delighted by their approach today. I have to give management credit today. Cant help thinking there must have been a team meeting and a frank exchange of views in the last two weeks.

Hopefully there was an exchange of views because it was badly needed in my opinion i was getting worried about the team especially after Lar left!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best game I've seen Pa Burke play for Tipp in along time,he showed skill and guts today and I hope he keeps it up in future games,Michael Cahill deserves a mention also for his display.great to see a win for Tipp in a very close game that could have gone either way at the end.I hope we see a good few more wins like this one in the weeks to come.well done to the management.

I'm more interested in why dreamy Bonner Maher isn't playing! Injury perchance.
    Yep he's injured RC.

Hopefully there was an exchange of views because it was badly needed in my opinion i was getting worried about the team especially after Lar left!!!

Seen Lar outside Centra in his Tipp track bottoms today. I reckon he will be back and mgmt shouldnt put any pressure on him. Dont forget that Eoin Larkin and Stephen Molumphy for example have work commitments overseas with the army this time of year and often dont see the panel until late feb-early march. i think lar will eventually rejoin the panel. man was burnt out and needed a break.

• Advertisement

Jesus thats fantastic news hopefully hel be back for the championship or hopefully the league final. Id love nothing more than to get another crack at the cats in thurles. Any news on Bonner Mahers injury and when is Seamie Callaghan and Seamus Hennessy set to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Jesus thats fantastic news hopefully hel be back for the championship ... ...

Just to be clear its not news, its simply internet speculation,
    tipp_gunner made it clear that he reckoned - ie he didnt suggest he had any inside knowldege.

Loads of us hope he will be back and reckon that he might give it a go come championship time, but a reckon just based on a hope that he is too young to leave it behind - but if he leaves it too long may cause resentment in the camp.
    Anyways no actual news yet.

Well sorry i didnt say anything about inside knowledge i was merely jst saying it would be fantastic if it happened!!

Well sorry i didnt say anything about inside knowledge i was merely jst saying it would be fantastic if it happened!!

Absolutely, not trying to start a spat over it at all - with you that it would be fantastic and would just have agreed if that was your post but it wasnt.

Just pointing out that there was no actual news, that was my key point, I just mentioned inside knowledge cause if tipp_gunner had that then it would be news, otherwise as I said just internet speculation which comes with the usual disclaimer.

frankz wrote: »
    - but if he leaves it too long may cause resentment in the camp.
    Anyways no actual news yet.

I would doubt that. i would think he is so well respected in the tipp camp that they would get a huge lift seeing him return to the fold. that said, he may not start come championship time. Dont forget though DJ Carey suffered a car crash and had his appendix taken out in 2002 only to give a tour-de-force in both the all ireland semi and final that same year.

I would doubt that. i would think he is so well respected in the tipp camp that they would get a huge lift seeing him return to the fold. that said, he may not start come championship time. Dont forget though DJ Carey suffered a car crash and had his appendix taken out in 2002 only to give a tour-de-force in both the all ireland semi and final that same year.

Fair point I suppose ya,
    Probably still well respected but if people establish themselves in the team between now and May and T Dunne establishes his usually strong team think/one for team approach was just wondering would a returning player upset the dynamic - but ya as you say it wouldn't be just any old player coming into the fold so usual rules may not apply. I suppose DJs was an enforced absense tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Can't see Lar coming back aslong as JOB is on the panel and Tommy Dunne is involved, then again stranger things have happened.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Can't see Lar coming back aslong as JOB is on the panel and Tommy Dunne is involved, then again stranger things have happened.

JOB??? Sure according to JOB himself they have been friends since they first broke onto the panel in 01? Id be surprised if there was tension there.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    People shouldn't believe everything they hear or read,especially off the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Any word on Eoin Kelly and how long he might be out for?
    Also is Paddy Stapleton injured or just not being picked?

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Any word on Eoin Kelly and how long he might be out for?
    Also is Paddy Stapleton injured or just not being picked?

Eoin injury not serious according to lads on PV.

Saint probably just getting a breather after his UL excursions but might find that corner slot hard to get back into. Donagh not doing anything wrong so far. Perhaps Saint or Donagh could push up to number 5 yet.

u21 footballers named side to play kerry yesterday

Tipperary (U21FC v Kerry): E Comerford; G Mulhaire, J Ryan, M Hanly; D Leahy, N O'Meara, J O'Callaghan; A Campbell, A Matassa; S Leavy, A Cleere (captain), B Hewitt; L Treacy, M Quinlivan, L McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Tipp lost the u21 football last night 11 points to 5 dispite kerry being down to 13 men at the end after getting 1 man sent off 9 minutes into the 2nd half and getting a 2ndd sent off with 5 minutes left

Wasn't there a man sent off in the last time too? Where's the discipline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

There are 2 changes on the Tipperary team for Sunday's match with Waterford. Darren Gleeson replaces Brendan Cummins in goal while Johnny Ryan makes his first Allianz Hurling League start at wing-forward in place of Shane McGrath.
    Tipp SH v Waterford: D Gleeson; D Maher, P Curran (Capt), M Cahill; J O"Keeffe, C O'Mahony, Padraic Maher; B Maher, J Woodlock; J Ryan, N McGrath, P Bourke; J O"Neill, B O"Meara, S Bourke
    https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa/latestnews/allianzhurlingleaguedivision1a-tipperaryvwaterford

Wasn't there a man sent off in the last time too? Where's the discipline?

it was two tipp men that were sent off last day against Cavan who in turn had a man sent off, but kerry had two men sent off in the u21 and tipp still couldnt capitalise despite the first lad getting sent off on 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Id love nothing more than to get another crack at the cats in thurles

Be very careful what you wish for. Tipp have been outplayed, out-muscled and outfought in the last 3 meetings between the two, Kilkenny have no fear of playing in Thurles, and more than that Cody seems to have the Tipp team sussed.

The short passing game employed against Galway won't work against Kilkenny either with the way Kilkenny close down the opposition, the 06 final is testament to that, it would be playing into Kilkenny's hands.

The only way Tipp will beat Kilkenny again is to reach the level of the 2010 final performance, a performance that is looking like a once-off. And after 2010 you can be sure Kilkenny will be fired up to the last every-time they meet Tipp.

randd1 wrote: »
    Be very careful what you wish for. Tipp have been outplayed, out-muscled and outfought in the last 3 meetings between the two, Kilkenny have no fear of playing in Thurles, and more than that Cody seems to have the Tipp team sussed.

The short passing game employed against Galway won't work against Kilkenny either with the way Kilkenny close down the opposition, the 06 final is testament to that, it would be playing into Kilkenny's hands.

The only way Tipp will beat Kilkenny again is to reach the level of the 2010 final performance, a performance that is looking like a once-off. And after 2010 you can be sure Kilkenny will be fired up to the last every-time they meet Tipp.

A once off?? :rolleyes: Tipp played with the same intensity in 2009 as well as 2010. Granted we didnt win but more than caused KK enough trouble that day for a relatively young team. Your goalkeeper had a great game that day. Tipp have been on the emergence since 2008 and in fact had we more like Sheedy who could apply some intelligence to the setup then perhaps things might not have been as rosy on noreside the last decade or so. Things are the way they are though and i wont be bitter ill congratulate ye but i find it gas the way KK always make themselves out to be invincible and then when they lose, 'Oh we were missing Shefflin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

A once off?? :rolleyes: Tipp played with the same intensity in 2009 as well as 2010. Granted we didnt win but more than caused KK enough trouble that day for a relatively young team. Your goalkeeper had a great game that day. Tipp have been on the emergence since 2008 and in fact had we more like Sheedy who could apply some intelligence to the setup then perhaps things might not have been as rosy on noreside the last decade or so. Things are the way they are though and i wont be bitter ill congratulate ye but i find it gas the way KK always make themselves out to be invincible and then when they lose, 'Oh we were missing Shefflin'.

Ye played to a much higher standard and intensity in 2010 than 2009, it was up there near our level in the 08 and 2011 finals. If ye didn't improve on 2009, ye wouldn't have won in 2010. So either you played the same and Kilkenny were much worse than the year before or Tipp reached a new, higher level. I very much believe it was the latter. Tipp though haven't come near to reaching that level of performance since, and until they do its a once off.

Sheedy was a great manager, especially in terms of developing young players, but still never managed to go a season unbeaten, he was quite as capable of making mistakes on the sideline as anyone. And I think if there were more like Sheedy in charge the last 10 years, the last decade would still be rosy for us, Tipp simply didn't have the number of quality players between 03 and 08 to deliver a threat to us.

No way are we invincible (yourselves and Dublin in consecutive finals emphatically proved that), we never were, we're just usually much better than those we play. And trust me, if every team had a Shefflin and lost him, they'd know about it.

Ye played to a much higher standard and intensity in 2010 than 2009, it was up there near our level in the 08 and 2011 finals. If ye didn't improve on 2009, ye wouldn't have won in 2010. So either you played the same and Kilkenny were much worse than the year before or Tipp reached a new, higher level. I very much believe it was the latter. Tipp though haven't come near to reaching that level of performance since, and until they do its a once off.

Sheedy was a great manager, especially in terms of developing young players, but still never managed to go a season unbeaten, he was quite as capable of making mistakes on the sideline as anyone. And I think if there were more like Sheedy in charge the last 10 years, the last decade would still be rosy for us, Tipp simply didn't have the number of quality players between 03 and 08 to deliver a threat to us.

No way are we invincible (yourselves and Dublin in consecutive finals emphatically proved that), we never were, we're just usually much better than those we play. And trust me, if every team had a Shefflin and lost him, they'd know about it.

Tipp have changed management since so i think its unfair you are insinuating that it was a one off. Easy for you talk when you have had a manager willing to take you forward since he took over in late 1998 (9 seasons ahead of Sheedy i may add) and as well as that Tipp play in Munster so it is easier to have teams queing up to beat you when they are to the north,south, east and west of you. Might be alot easier to win games though when hurling in offaly and wexford is at its lowest ebb. True, Dublin and Galway have come to prominence in Leinster last two years but at the same time, Galway havent the same experience given that underage have a simple run and Dublin are still up and coming.

• Advertisement

If ye outplayed us in 2009 how come ye needed your goalie to make two fantastic saves and a dodgy penalty call...This is what makes me sick Kilkenny can never admit we were the better team theres always an excuse, in last years final where Tipperary were outplayed we had no excuses ye were the better team and i held my hands up and admitted it but then again ye didnt exactly run away with the game like we did in 2010.

Advertisement