Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

carey2010 wrote: »
    If ye outplayed us in 2009 how come ye needed your goalie to make two fantastic saves and a dodgy penalty call...This is what makes me sick Kilkenny can never admit we were the better team theres always an excuse, in last years final where Tipperary were outplayed we had no excuses ye were the better team and i held my hands up and admitted it but then again ye didnt exactly run away with the game like we did in 2010.

The talk prior to the 2010 final was how they were going to hockey us even without the few lads injured, just loved how they all backtracked after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Skyrim wrote: »
    The talk prior to the 2010 final was how they were going to hockey us even without the few lads injured, just loved how they all backtracked after that.

They got enough of their hockeying that day...And another question how come Kilkenny supporters are following a Tipperary hurling discussion thread....Now back to the more important issues any predictions for tomorrow and does anyone know when Seamus Hennessy is going to back??

Someone on the waterford thread posted this
    IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford supporters going to Thurles on Sunday are asked to enter the town from Holy Cross. The St Patrick's Day Parade will take place in Thurles on Sunday and there will be no traffic in the area around the square. Traffic entering from the Holy Cross side will be diverted by the Old Sugar Factory road.

Thick b*stards up in thurles to schedule a parade same day as a match.
    Havent heard anything about Seamus Hennessey yet. Very good under 21 for us but apparently a misdiagnosis on an injury from last year has set him back quite a bit.

They got enough of their hockeying that day...And another question how come Kilkenny supporters are following a Tipperary hurling discussion thread....Now back to the more important issues any predictions for tomorrow and does anyone know when Seamus Hennessy is going to back??

You'd think they would be so absorbed with their own 'invincibility' they wouldnt notice that other counties actually hurl. Premierview is also full of them. Probably more on Premierview in fact then there is on KKCats.

Far as im concerned other counties have been every bit as bad as KK were good but when it was put up to them they have been made look very ordinary against both tipp (09 and 10) and cork (03 and 04) in finals and Galway in 2 semi finals (01 and 05).

They rarely have been pushed to go to a plan b and when they have they have been shown to lack one, but that says more about the other counties then them.

Anyhow, thats enough of that shower, i think tipp should win tomorrow though who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Someone on the waterford thread posted this

Thick b*stards up in thurles to schedule a parade same day as a match.
    Havent heard anything about Seamus Hennessey yet. Very good under 21 for us but apparently a misdiagnosis on an injury from last year has set him back quite a bit.

Yeah cant see why they cant have the parade on St Patricks Day like everyone else its stupid reli.....Awh thats a shame about Hennessy i always enjoyed looking at his style of hurling and could only improve with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

If ye outplayed us in 2009 how come ye needed your goalie to make two fantastic saves and a dodgy penalty call...This is what makes me sick Kilkenny can never admit we were the better team theres always an excuse, in last years final where Tipperary were outplayed we had no excuses ye were the better team and i held my hands up and admitted it but then again ye didnt exactly run away with the game like we did in 2010.

First off it should never have been a penalty, but a 21 for the original foul on Power. That said its likely Shefflin would have buried it anyway the way he hit it.

Secondly if ye were the better team in 09 ye would have won. Ye weren't so ye didn't. Ye had a 20 minute spell after the break where ye were on top, the 10 minutes before the break and the last 15 minutes were ours.

As for not running away with the 2011 final, it may not have showed on the scoreboard but it was just as convincing as ye're 2010 win, like us the year before ye never looked like winning at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

of the 3 games between us and kk, i felt the largest gulf between us was last year. kk were worth at least 10 points over us. trying to be objective looking back on 2010 i felt the teams were quite close despite the gulf on the scoreboard. as regards 2009 i felt it was wasn't a vintage kk performance. we were top class, a couple of mis-fires and a great display from ryan saved yer skins that day.
    i hope i'm wrong but i feel the gap has widened over the last 6 months and its only a matter of time before the sleeping giants of cork make a return!

as an aside shefflin hasn't been up to much at this time of the year for a few seasons. hasn't done him any harm come summer! given lars age maybe a break is good for him. he doesn't seem like the lad to let himself go tuckin into supermacs every day. i reckon we haven't seen the last of him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Buy him a hurley and a tennis ball, allow him to build up confidence in it before taking the pitch. Still plenty of time. Was it John Leahy who only took up hurling at the age of 14?

I let my son read your reply and do you know what - you made his day and he now has a hurley and is messing about with it to start just to get a feel for it as you said it never too late to start :D:D

31 points was a fair haul but i will say Waterford are a mess at the present time. Sad really as they had such a good side that came so close the last decade and the fact the likes of Brick Walsh, Tony Browne, and John Mullane on top of Ken Mcgrath will prob never get that celtic cross is real unfortunate for all their efforts.

the Tipp wing backs could make huge runs up the field and pick off points but i have to say the goal threat seems to be non existant at the moment considering our potence the last few years. Our full fwd line seems to be playing too far out and i was disappointed that our 2 very fast corner forwards were starved of ball considering the 2 nice scores each they picked off.

i see 'the invincibles' up the road shipped 6-12 today. yes they still managed a win but 6-12???

They wont be happy with that. Wexford went to town on their full back line last year with nice low balls into their forwards so its very unfortunate that Tipp couldnt have done the same in the final instead of playing right into their hands.

• Advertisement

Evans gone. Was on the cards for a while
    Evans resigns as Tipperary football manager
    John Evans has resigned from his post as Tipperary football manager
    John Evans has resigned from his post as Tipperary football manager
    Sunday, 18 March 2012 18:49

John Evans has resigned as Tipperary senior football manager following Sunday's defeat to Sligo.

Evans's Tipperary team went down 1-16 to 0-07 to Sligo in the Allianz Football League Division 3 at Markievicz Park, with a very poor display from the Premier County.

The defeat to Sligo continues a recent string of poor results in the Allianz Football League for the county.

The Tipperary County Board and Tipperary Football Board released a press release on Sunday evening, which stated, "The Tipperary County Board and Tipperary Football Board are disappointed that John has found it necessary to resign but respect and accept his decision.

"John has made a major contribution to Tipperary football since he came to the county in late 2007.

"He has increased the profile of football in Tipperary, he guided the senior team from Division 4 to Division 2 of the Allianz football league in successive seasons, he managed the Tipperary under 21 footballers to their first ever Munster title in 2010 and he played an important role as a coach in last year's All Ireland minor football triumph.

"This year's disappointing league results will not take from the hugely positive legacy that John leaves behind in Tipperary.

"Tipperary County Board and Tipperary Football Board thank John most sincerely for his outstanding contribution to Tipperary football and wish him and his family every success and happiness in the future. Tipperary County Board and Tipperary Football Board will now begin a process of considering how to replace John."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

digzy wrote: »
    of the 3 games between us and kk, i felt the largest gulf between us was last year. kk were worth at least 10 points over us. trying to be objective looking back on 2010 i felt the teams were quite close despite the gulf on the scoreboard. as regards 2009 i felt it was wasn't a vintage kk performance. we were top class, a couple of mis-fires and a great display from ryan saved yer skins that day.
    i hope i'm wrong but i feel the gap has widened over the last 6 months and its only a matter of time before the sleeping giants of cork make a return!

as an aside shefflin hasn't been up to much at this time of the year for a few seasons. hasn't done him any harm come summer! given lars age maybe a break is good for him. he doesn't seem like the lad to let himself go tuckin into supermacs every day. i reckon we haven't seen the last of him yet

The gap isn't that big, Tipp will probably be the biggest challengers to KK in the next 3 years (Dublin could take KK in the next few years though) and the ones most likely to win the AI at KK's expense.

I think Lar will be back, lets not forget most of the injuries he's had are hamstring injuries. Hamstrings won't hold if they're continually tested if you've done them before. A few months off would certainly recharge the batteries physically.

I think too taking a break for the game might work wonders for your hunger as well. People say Kilkenny have been on the go for a long time but Lar has done a savage amount of hurling, club and county, in the last 10 years. Mentally he has to be sort of tired, maybe a few weeks/months off will be the motivation he needs for the year.

I'd love to see him back, hurling needs its heroes and Lar is one of them. I think he will be back for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good win in the Hurling today,some beautiful points were scored especially by Noel Mac who was in great form,only drawback is our lack of goals lately.
    The time is right for Evans to go,he did well with the footballers for a while so best of luck to him.

tippspur wrote: »
    Good win in the Hurling today,some beautiful points were scored especially by Noel Mac who was in great form,only drawback is our lack of goals lately.
    The time is right for Evans to go,he did well with the footballers for a while so best of luck to him.

Thing is tippspur, Tipp didnt look like scoring a goal today and Buggy was miles out the field. Good honest player that he is and all i would like to see him in around the edge of the square more often. Would have liked to have seen us get both Shane Bourke and John O'Neill on the ball alot more also as both of them have searing pace. Bourke a great guy to win dirty ball. Think JON needs to up the work rate though.

Also, Bonnar is a great link between the half forwards and the full forwards and when you think of the goals he made last year, he'll be such a welcome return.

It may have been only a case that Tipp used yesterday as an sole focus on taking their points and you could also argue that when goals werent on the cards last year againsnt KK, points should have been given more of priority.

The KK defense were in considerable stingy mode that day it is fair to say and we werent going to get the rain of goals that we got two months previous on Leeside.

As for John Evans, if you would believe everything you would hear then he had lost the dressing room a long time ago.

The team seemed to lack a plan B when things werent going well and when they needed to be more direct. Also i read an interview he gave while back and all i can say is that self praise is no praise. He definately liked to throw the odd bouquet or two at himself.

that all said he has raised the profile of football in tipp and initially he done very well with us so it would be unfair not to aknowledge that.

Moving forward i hope we get a young manager with alot of ideas. Some talk of Brian Lacey or Declan Browne who could give them a much needed boost. David Power done amazing work with the minors but at 28, his time is not now.

Thing is tippspur, Tipp didnt look like scoring a goal today and Buggy was miles out the field. Good honest player that he is and all i would like to see him in around the edge of the square more often. Would have liked to have seen us get both Shane Bourke and John O'Neill on the ball alot more also as both of them have searing pace. Bourke a great guy to win dirty ball. Think JON needs to up the work rate though.

Also, Bonnar is a great link between the half forwards and the full forwards and when you think of the goals he made last year, he'll be such a welcome return.

It may have been only a case that Tipp used yesterday as an sole focus on taking their points and you could also argue that when goals werent on the cards last year againsnt KK, points should have been given more of priority.

The KK defense were in considerable stingy mode that day it is fair to say and we werent going to get the rain of goals that we got two months previous on Leeside.

As for John Evans, if you would believe everything you would hear then he had lost the dressing room a long time ago.

The team seemed to lack a plan B when things werent going well and when they needed to be more direct. Also i read an interview he gave while back and all i can say is that self praise is no praise. He definately liked to throw the odd bouquet or two at himself.

that all said he has raised the profile of football in tipp and initially he done very well with us so it would be unfair not to aknowledge that.

Moving forward i hope we get a young manager with alot of ideas. Some talk of Brian Lacey or Declan Browne who could give them a much needed boost. David Power done amazing work with the minors but at 28, his time is not now.
    I agree totally with your point about the AI final last year when the goals just weren't going to happen for us why didn't we bring out the full forward line just go for points from anywhere,I mean with only 5 mins left in that game there was only 3 points in it as bad as we were playing.It has always bugged me since that game why we couldn't raise our game just a small bit,that's all it would have taken to maybe snatch a draw at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

recently tipp hav been going very bad in the league and alot of it has come been blamed on johnny evans but i saw the standard of club football in tipperary being the big problem. its to easy to be a senior club in tipperary,all teams do is jus crowd the middle of the field and in esscence play the same style as donegal. this means players get used to playing slow methodical football and its hard to change style and get upto to pace when they are called up to inter county.realistically ders nly a few clubs who have a chance of winning the county football every year such as commercails,moyle rovers,cahir,aherlow,loughmore and more recently thomas mcdonoughs. all the rest of the teams are only trying to compete and thus play defensive.if a team scores over 10 points in a club match it wud be seen as very good scoring. what the county board need to do is put the top 8 teams in to a league system for the county championship,these teams would be close enuf to the same abilty and thus wud encouage more open football,while the remainin teams shud compete for a seamus o riain style cup. these teams would be close enuf to each other and thus dont hav to worry abou going ou and get hammerings and would also encouage more open football and raise the standard as a whole in tipperary.

recently tipp hav been going very bad in the league and alot of it has come been blamed on johnny evans but i saw the standard of club football in tipperary being the big problem. its to easy to be a senior club in tipperary,all teams do is jus crowd the middle of the field and in esscence play the same style as donegal. this means players get used to playing slow methodical football and its hard to change style and get upto to pace when they are called up to inter county.realistically ders nly a few clubs who have a chance of winning the county football every year such as commercails,moyle rovers,cahir,aherlow,loughmore and more recently thomas mcdonoughs. all the rest of the teams are only trying to compete and thus play defensive.if a team scores over 10 points in a club match it wud be seen as very good scoring. what the county board need to do is put the top 8 teams in to a league system for the county championship,these teams would be close enuf to the same abilty and thus wud encouage more open football,while the remainin teams shud compete for a seamus o riain style cup. these teams would be close enuf to each other and thus dont hav to worry abou going ou and get hammerings and would also encouage more open football and raise the standard as a whole in tipperary.

fair point re the blanket defense style football SNM fella. Alot of low scoring games occur year in-year out in the senior championship. Maybe the county board could incentivise more open attacking football in this league system you have in mind by perhaps awarding an extra point for breaking a certain score barrier or something.

I did hear a few rumbles though that JE was a bit full of his own importance too. Dont forget he initially done very well with the players despite the poor quality of club football which you quite rightly pointed out, but judging by the players body language in recent times it would seem he had lost the dressing room.

Now the players deserve their fair share of the criticism too and i seen them play Cavan a 10 days ago. Some of them were absolute piss poor and i thought we had to ask a few up from Nowlan Park to make up numbers we were so bad.

To be honest, i think the quality of not just the football championship needs looking at but the hurling championship also which is overflooded with alot of average teams who would get their arses whipped in any other senior county championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

ya the extra poiont 4 scoring so much would be a good idea, and i totally agree on the hurling side of things to. they shud do somethin similar to what cork have done with a premier division for the top 12 hurlin teams and leave the rest of them as senior,this would cut out alot of meaningless and one sided games

For those who have been following this story article on Hoganstand.com
    Munster Council overrule Borrisokane relegation decision
    22 March 2012
    Borrisokane have successfully appealed to the Munster Council the recent Tipperary county board decision to relegate them from the Tipperary SHC.

The north Tipp club was demoted to the IHC for failing to fulfil their relegation playoff final against Brendan Cummins' Ballybacon-Grange on February 25 last. But they have been handed a reprieve after the Munster Council ordered that the game be re-fixed.

It is the second time the Munster Council has ruled against Tipperary county board in a matter of months. Last September, Cashel King Cormacs lost to Ballybacon-Grange in a SHC relegation semi-final but a re-fixture was ordered - which Cashel won - after they successfully argued that extra-time should not have been played in the original fixture.

Borrisokane secretary Adrian Egan told the Irish Examiner: "We're absolutely delighted - we did nothing wrong over five months, the innocent party all along.

"We were above board with everyone and explained why we were not in a position to fulfil fixtures. To be relegated in a boardroom? You wouldn't see it any other county but this result has restored my faith in the GAA."

This has become an embarrassing farce and the county board should hang their heads in shame.

For those who have been following this story article on Hoganstand.com

This has become an embarrassing farce and the county board should hang their heads in shame.
    Unbelievable carry on.he says that the decision restores his faith in the GAA,really? because it pisses off everybody else.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tipp team to play Dublin next Sunday @5.00 in Croke park.

Team News
    The Tipperary team to play Dublin has been announced as follows - Darren Gleeson, Donagh Maher, Paul Curran (Captain), Michael Cahill; Thomas Stapleton, Conor OMahony, Padraic Maher; Brendan Maher, James Woodlock; Gearoid Ryan, Noel McGrath, Pa Burke; John O'Neill, Brian O'Meara, Shane Burke.
    Another win would do nicely lads....best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The Irish Independent ran the top 100 hurlers in one of their editions a couple of months ago.

Here:

100 – Edward Coady (Carlow)
    99 – Damien Joyce (Galway)
    98 – Willie Hyland (Laois)
    97 – Brian Campion (Laois)
    96 – John Conlon (Clare)
    95 – Paul Cleary (Offaly)
    94 – Richie Foley (Waterford)
    93 – Neil McManus (Antrim)
    92 – Patrick Maher (Tipperary)
    91 – David Collins (Galway)
    90 – Brian Murphy (Cork)
    89 – John Lee (Galway)
    88 – Joe Bergin (Offaly)
    87 – Eoin Cadogan (Cork)
    86 – Brian Geary (Limerick)
    85 – Gary Maguire (Dublin)
    84 – John Dalton (Kilkenny)
    83 – Brian Murray (Limerick)
    82 – Brendan Murtagh (Westmeath)
    81 – Cathal Naughton (Cork)
    80 – Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    79 – Michael Cahill (Tipperary)
    78 – David O’Callaghan (Dublin)
    77 – Andrew O’Shaughnessy (Limerick)
    76 – Kieran Murphy (Cork)
    75 – Gavin O’Mahony (Limerick)
    74 – Liam Rushe (Dublin)
    73 – Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    72 – Rory Jacob (Wexford)
    71 – PJ Ryan (Kilkenny)
    70 – Fergal Moore (Galway)
    69 – Brian Carroll (Offaly)
    68 – Gearoid Ryan (Tipperary)
    67 – Darach Honan (Clare)
    66 – Rory Hanniffy (Offaly)
    65 – Seamus Prendergast (Waterford)
    64 – Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    63 – Seamus Callinan (Tipperary)
    62 – Clinton Hennessy (Waterford)
    61 – David Kenny (Offaly)
    60 – Darren Stamp (Wexford)
    59 – Jonathan Clancy (Clare)
    58 – Liam Watson (Antrim)
    57 – TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    56 – Eoin Murphy (Waterford)
    55 – Stephen Hiney (Dublin)
    54 – Damien Reale (Limerick)
    53 – John O’Brien (Tipperary)
    52 – Ger Farragher (Galway)
    51 – Shane O’Sullivan (Waterford)
    50 – Paddy Stapleton (Tipperary)
    49 – Tomas Brady (Dublin)
    48 – Stephen Molumphy (Waterford)
    47 – Keith Rossiter (Wexford)
    46 – Alan McCrabbe (Dublin)
    45 – Seamus Hickey (Limerick)
    44 – John Tennyson (Kilkenny)
    43 – Jerry O’Connor (Cork)
    42 – Aidan Fogarty (Kilkenny)
    41 – Tom Kenny (Cork)
    40 – Shane Kavanagh (Galway)
    39 – Conor O’Mahony (Tipperary)
    38 – Diarmuid Lyng (Wexford)
    37 – Michael Rice (Kilkenny)
    36 – Brendan Maher (Tipperary)
    35 – Noel Connors (Waterford)
    34 – Shane Dooley (Offaly)
    33 – James ‘Cha’ Fitzpatrick (KIlkenny)
    32 – Eoin Kelly (Waterford)
    31 – Martin Comerford (Kilkenny)
    30 – Niall McCarthy (Cork)
    29 – Ken McGrath (Waterford)
    28 – Tony Og Regan (Galway)
    27 – Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny)
    26 – Brian Hogan (Kilkenny)
    25 – Paul Curran (Tippeary)
    24 – Ben O’Connor (Cork)
    23 – Shane McGrath (Tipperary)
    22 – Ronan Curran (Cork)
    21 – Eddie Brennan (Kilkenny)
    20 – Noel McGrath (Tipperary)
    19 – Richie Power (Kilkenny)
    18 – Shane O’Neill (Cork)
    17 – Padraig Maher (Tipperary)
    16 – Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny)
    15 – Tony Browne (Waterford)
    14 – John Gardiner (Cork)
    13 – Noel Hickey (Kilkenny)
    12 – Damien Hayes (Galway)
    11 – Donal Og Cusack (Cork)
    10 – John Mullane (Waterford)
    9 – Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh (Waterford)
    8 – Lar Corbett (Tipperary)
    7 – Jackie Tyrrell (Kilkenny)
    6 – Joe Canning (Galway)
    5 – Eoin Kelly (Tipperary)
    4 – Brendan Cummins (Tipperary)
    3 – JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
    2 – Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny)
    1 – Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)

I think this list is a bit of a joke.

Michael Cahill at 78? He's a top 30 player and a top 10-15 defender IMO.

Seamus Callinan at 63? He hasn't warranted that in my view.

Patrick Maher doesn't score much but he's better than 92.

Paul Curran at 25, Cummins at 4, Kelly at 5 and "Padraig" Maher all OK I think.

Outside of the country, no Paul Ryan for Dublin? Declan Hannon should be in for a shout. Ben O' Connor's retired (as is Lar) and Hennesey's gone. Maybe it's focused on last year's campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

What players is this list incorporating ? Seems like a joke to me also.

Noel Hickey at #13:D

Actually the list I took was from January I think. I thought it was current as in this Saturday.

Regardless, it's a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Tipperary will play Longford in round 6 of the Allianz Football League Division 3 on Saturday March 24th at 7:00pm at Semple Stadium Thurles.

https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa/latestnews/allianzfootballleaguedivision3%E2%80%93tipperaryvlongford
    1. Matthew O’Donnell (Killeneule)
    2. Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers)
    3. Paddy Codd (Killenaule)
    4. Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow)
    5. Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers)
    6. Robbie Costigan (Cahir)
    7. Thomas Ryan (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    8. Brian Jones (Arravale Rovers)
    9. Donncha Heffernan (Cappawhite)
    10. Sean Carey (Moyle Rovers)
    11. Hugh Coghlan (Portlaoise, Laois)
    12. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
    13. Bernard O’Brien (Aherlow)
    14. Philip Austin (Borrisokane) CAPTAIN
    15. Barry Grogan (Aherlow)

That hurling list is only one mans opinion I suppose

True. Likely I was looking for something to argue about though!

These lists are only a way of filling newspaper space imo. how can a corner back have any chance of competing with a corner forward who gets all the glory? if truth be known KK's success is as much down to Tommy Walsh's brilliance as it is to Shefflin.

Tipperary will play Longford in round 6 of the Allianz Football League Division 3 on Saturday March 24th at 7:00pm at Semple Stadium Thurles.

https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa/latestnews/allianzfootballleaguedivision3%E2%80%93tipperaryvlongford

who is over tipp footballers for tommorrow?

• Advertisement

I thought Tipp had the Dubs beaten in the hurling game this evening, with a 3 point lead and the game as good as over Liam Rush banged in a goal with the last puck of the game,some sickener that was,over all though I suppose they deserved the draw cos they played fairly well,Buggy 0 Meara got the man of the match award,if he keeps playing like he did today he'll be a great find for us.

Advertisement