Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

tippspur wrote: »
    I thought Tipp had the Dubs beaten in the hurling game this evening, with a 3 point lead and the game as good as over Liam Rush banged in a goal with the last puck of the game,some sickener that was,over all though I suppose they deserved the draw cos they played fairly well,Buggy 0 Meara got the man of the match award,if he keeps playing like he did today he'll be a great find for us.

I was at it there. Great game and to be fair the Dubs deserved a draw but as bad as i felt we performed, and lacking as we were in terms of hunger for the ball, i was completely amazed we were in that position in the dying minutes.

Buggy was unreal. 5 from play. He was absoultely brilliant but i feel the goal scoring threat just isnt with tipp anymore. I think both John O'Dwyer and Mikey Heffernan should be called up to the panel and I wont say who should be culled but i think we all know.

I didnt think Shane Bourke should have been taken off at half time. There were alot worse there in the forwards there than him. People are quick to say Eoin Kelly is finshed but he would still offer Tipp more of an option then a certain other two corner forwards on the panel, one of which who was persisted with and didnt win a ball or score a point yesterday as well as commiting silly fouls consistently. The other made a brief cameo...how he is a county player i do not know. How he is considered a Tipperary county player 2 years after his debut season is even more beyond me. The boy just not good enough end of.

Pa Bourke who is playing relatively well this year was taken off when he was really beginning to come into the game also.

After all the work Sheedy and O'Shea put into assembling a decent panel it would seem the strength in depth not there at the moment. We used almost anticipate goals at every Tipperary attack the last few years but that seems to have vanished. We dont even look like getting a goal anymore.

Declan Fannings old no 5 slot is becoming a pickle to fill. Since he quit, David Young, John O'Keefe, Shane Maher and Tom Stapleton have been tried at number 5 and all have struggled to a certain degree. To be fair to Stapleton, Sutcliffe gave Tommy Walsh of all wing backs, a torrid time the previous week so maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt but i cannot fathom, if a player is losing an aerial battle then why doesnt he put up the hurl?

Maybe its just simple things that could be looked at overall...i dont know at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Peter creedon has been appointed tipperary senior football manager.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Peter creedon has been appointed tipperary senior football manager.

He seems to have made an immediate impact. i know we only drew but Longford have been promoted after all.

its an awful pity all the work since 2008 has been undone but i suppose Evans deserves some credit for getting them there to begin with. it would seem when he assumed the directors role and was getting paid that the team went downhill from there on whether that is correllation or mere coincidence i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipp (v Cork):

Cummins,

D Maher, Curran, Cahill,

T Stapleton, O'Mahony, P Maher,

Brendan Maher, Woodlock,

Gar Ryan, Noel McGrath, Pa Bourke,

Shane Bourke, O' Meara, O'Brien

Woodlock needs a good game. I couldn't find him last week.

I thought some of the bigger players would have been back for this Cork game.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tipster

surprised tom stapleton still on good hurler but really lacks pace which could spell trouble against cork.glad shane bourke getting another go class hurler but needs a better supply of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Woodlock needs a good game. I couldn't find him last week.

I thought some of the bigger players would have been back for this Cork game.
    None of the bigger players are available yet so this is about the strongest team we can put out at the moment,would love to able to go to the game but can't make it this weekend,best of luck to Tipp hope they do the business.

Well done to Nenagh CBS on their win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Well done to Nenagh CBS on their win
    Great win
    Nenagh was quiet, surprised many of them were not out celebrating

Cracking game against Cork yesterday. Score for score all the way and a nice brand of hurling by the 2 teams though all that said Tipp need to unearth an out and out finisher as when we are getting goal chances on the rare occasion these times, we are not taking them.

i think we get more goal chances with Bonnar back in the team and i could see maybe Callanan switching to a full fwd role when he comes back as he is a good finisher.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Great win
    Nenagh was quiet, surprised many of them were not out celebrating

Unless they went out in thurles.

• Advertisement

Disappointing to play well and get a draw in my view. I thought young Bourke sealed it but a cool point from Patrick Horgan to level it.

Great game with the lead being exchanged ten times. It was a championship calibre game in a league setting. Both sides were going hell for leather.

Disappointed with with O' Meara. I don't think he got a lot of ball but when he did I couldn't find him. Cusack did make a good effort to prevent any goal chance though.

Gar Ryan with two delicious points. Noel McGrath had five and having a very good league but I'm wondering what the extent of the shoulder injury is. Nice to see Kelly drop a point and seems fit. Pa Bourke's goal was a fine effort and chipped in some nice points.

Lack of goal threat is a worry but we're getting enough points to do for now.

Padraic Maher is an absolute animal. I can't get over how good this kid is. It's disgraceful the talent he has! He was all over the field and cleared a lot of balls. Held Lehane down for the most part. Cahill and Curran good too.

Playing Cork again in three weeks. I think the same gameplan should be issued. Nice free flowing play with short passes. Push the forwards up a little and see if there's a goal threat there. The defense needs to clamp down a little, some Cork strikes were too easy. Can't wait to see them in action again - hopefully with the return of some injured players.

Cracking image on the Times website:

1224314233292_1.jpg?ts=1333373073

Disappointed with with O' Meara. I don't think he got a lot of ball but when he did I couldn't find him. Cusack did make a good effort to prevent any goal chance though.

Pretty much agree with everything you have said but in Buggy's defence i seen him pick up a small knock in the warm up in Dr Morris Park before the game so it may have impacted his perfomance.

In general I think he has been a revelation for Tipp this year and with the right ball he could prove a handful. Lacks a bit of mobility and speed but he is an absolute brute and with more and more experience at senior level, in time he will prove to be a handful.

Tipp u21s beat Waterford u21s 23 points to 2-14 in a challenge in Dr Morris prior to the match. Best for Tipp were Denis Maher who is a savage player and Tommy Heffernan with 3 peaches of scores in the first half.

Pretty much agree with everything you have said but in Buggy's defence i seen him pick up a small knock in the warm up in Dr Morris Park before the game so it may have impacted his perfomance.

In general I think he has been a revelation for Tipp this year and with the right ball he could prove a handful. Lacks a bit of mobility and speed but he is an absolute brute and with more and more experience at senior level, in time he will prove to be a handful.

Let it be known that I'm a fan of O' Meara. He seems gritty and has determination. His quality performance versus Dublin won me over. I didn't know about the injury at all and it may explain the game he had. It's a slamming indictment of myself because if the TG4 commentators said so, I didn't pick it up, my Irish is appalling! Would have liked if he got more opportunities but the tough test against Cork will no doubt benefit him.

Found out earlier that April 22nd features the Cork and Tipperary semi final. Kilkenny face Clare or Limerick in the other semi. Both will feature as a double-header in Thurles above.

I can see Clare beating Limerick on form. Clare have been very good winning all games and Fitzgerald has them scoring. However Kilkenny are on a whole other level. They dismantled Galway at the weekend which was both frightening and entertaining. Cody is utterly ruthless and goes for the jugular each time which in turn is lovely to watch an All-Star All-Ireland lineup (without Tyrell, Shefflin and Power) go to work. TJ Reid and Michael Fennelly are crazy-good. Matthew Ruth's goal was a joy to watch. The Cats are still bloody dangerous and it will take some effort to topple them.

Let it be known that I'm a fan of O' Meara. He seems gritty and has determination. His quality performance versus Dublin won me over. I didn't know about the injury at all and it may explain the game he had. It's a slamming indictment of myself because if the TG4 commentators said so, I didn't pick it up, my Irish is appalling! Would have liked if he got more opportunities but the tough test against Cork will no doubt benefit him.

Found out earlier that April 22nd features the Cork and Tipperary semi final. Kilkenny face Clare or Limerick in the other semi. Both will feature as a double-header in Thurles above.

I can see Clare beating Limerick on form. Clare have been very good winning all games and Fitzgerald has them scoring. However Kilkenny are on a whole other level. They dismantled Galway at the weekend which was both frightening and entertaining. Cody is utterly ruthless and goes for the jugular each time which in turn is lovely to watch an All-Star All-Ireland lineup (without Tyrell, Shefflin and Power) go to work. TJ Reid and Michael Fennelly are crazy-good. Matthew Ruth's goal was a joy to watch. The Cats are still bloody dangerous and it will take some effort to topple them.

KK start at a canter and if you dont contain them they will absolutely sh*t all over you, but i feel they dont cope as much with the game that Cork brought to them last week (which also we brought to them in 09 and 10).

Dont forget they shipped 6-12 against Dublin but like the good champions they are they still managed to win by a solitary point in fairness. But there is definately chinks there waiting for a smart enough tactician to expose. I believe that JBM is one and Anthony Daly is another but i wouldnt be optimistic Tommy and Declan have the guile or experience to do it. They faltered big time in the all ireland last year and dont seem to have learned much from the experience. It seems Tipp are training harder and not smarter.

The saddest thing is that despite Tipp having gone back a good bit since we won it in 2010, i cant help thinking that it wouldnt take much to put us back on the summit again.

People think we were a flash in the pan in 2010 but they are just ignorant pr*cks who know naff all about hurling and i really hope that 'the King's' comments that Tipperary played above themselves in 2010 come back to haunt him. With a bit of intelligence from players and management alike i think Liam McCarthy could be back sooner rather than later. Whether we will use our head or not is another story.

Good to be in a League Semi final,just wondering what the venue will be.Double header in Semple ?? I hope so.

Good to be in a League Semi final,just wondering what the venue will be.Double header in Semple ?? I hope so.

Cork wouldnt object to that i reckon and it would make sense. PuC is ran down and needs to be knocked. My legs get cramped even thinking about those seats but thats before we mention the concourse if you could even call it that. ive seen hallways in bungalows that were wider

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

They had it there on 5-7 live that it would be a double header in Thurles on April 22nd --
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0402/315896-allianz-hurling-league-semi-finals-date-announced/

I mentioned it a page back that it would be a double header.

I mentioned it a page back that it would be a double header.
    Good stuff,should be a great days hurling.

Anyone know the current situation with 2011 relegation? AFAIK it has to go ahead as Borrisokane won their case at Munster level but when? North Championship 2012 resumed this weekend. A complete disaster by the county board. the whole lot should clear off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Ballybacon back down intermediate as far as I know anyway.

Ballybacon back down intermediate as far as I know anyway.

Pity to see a south team go but its probably their true level in fairness. Cummins was getting a huge bulk of their scores in alot of games. i think another 15 should be gone with them though regardless of what division. in fact scrap this stupid north/south/mid/west carry on and just have 16 of the best in 4 groups of 4. You could go once or twice round robin. Top 2 from each group qualify for quarter finals. 1st in Group A meets 2nd in Group B and vice versa and so on. There is enough neutral venues to cater for the northern most team against southern most teams.

Ballybacon, Aherlow and the other 14 lower teams contest the SOR cup in a new 'Premier Intermediate' or 'Senior B' competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I believe that Ballyporeen were unable to field a team for the under 21A South Tipp. football final. I hope that Clonmel Commercials will allow them to play this game at some stage.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Xenophile wrote: »
    I believe that Ballyporeen were unable to field a team for the under 21A South Tipp. football final. I hope that Clonmel Commercials will allow them to play this game at some stage.

When was that supposed to be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Last Saturday afternoon.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »

knowing the south board they'll probably be banned and then months later after winning the appeal with the county board they'll be reinstated leaving the fixture list clogged up.

What position does Cummins play with his club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What position does Cummins play with his club?

Goalkeeper

Pity to see a south team go but its probably their true level in fairness. Cummins was getting a huge bulk of their scores in alot of games.
    Goalkeeper

Just that tipp_Gunner posted a Cummins got a lot of scores so I assumed he played out field or it's a different Cummins.

• Advertisement

Just that tipp_Gunner posted a Cummins got a lot of scores so I assumed he played out field or it's a different Cummins.

afaik Brendan was getting the lions share as he was taking all their frees.

Advertisement