Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

afaik Brendan was getting the lions share as he was taking all their frees.

I've seen him put over one from just outside the 21. Granted there was a small bit of wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I've seen him score from a puckout. Intermediate South Final a few years back in Kilshelahn - no wind. I also seen him score from a puckout in Monroe but there was a gael blown that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just reinforces that Cummins is The Man.

Just reinforces that Cummins is The Man.

Cummins is a legend but if there is one criticism i have of him its that sometimes maybe he gives puck outs too much holly. Surely distance can be achieved without height which might give our half forwards a better chance of winning the ball. Great guy though. Never complained an inch at being dropped the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What a great start for the Tipp minor footballers again,beat Kerry 2-9 to 0-7 tonight down in Tralee in the Munster Championship,brilliant stuff lads.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    What a great start for the Tipp minor footballers again,beat Kerry 2-9 to 0-7 tonight down in Tralee in the Munster Championship,brilliant stuff lads.

Very talented bunch of kids. Colman Kennedy grabbed two goals tonight after his rasper to win the all ireland last year. Great prospect. 10 players that started have an all ireland medal from last year. Jack Shelley from Mullinahone who started corner fwd tonight is said to be one to watch. One of the many dual players at minor level. Davy Power is a shrewd man to have at the helm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

CHC have thrown Nenagh Vocational School out of the All-Ireland Vocational schools senior championship
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=166763

St Brigid's Loughrea are awaiting their final opponents, but with the possibility of Nenagh VS appealing the CHC verdict to the Central Appeals Committee or even the DRA, this saga could still have some distance to run.

IMO the vocational have to appeal as the incident did not warrant the techs expulsion from the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

ormond lad wrote: »
    CHC have thrown Nenagh Vocational School out of the All-Ireland Vocational schools senior championship
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=166763

St Brigid's Loughrea are awaiting their final opponents, but with the possibility of Nenagh VS appealing the CHC verdict to the Central Appeals Committee or even the DRA, this saga could still have some distance to run.

IMO the vocational have to appeal as the incident did not warrant the techs expulsion from the competition

I think I read yesterday in the Independent that they wont be appealing. Were you at the match yourself?

Were you at the match yourself?
    no

• Advertisement

Tipperary Team to play Cork in National League Semi Sunday in thurles Brendan Cummins, Conor O'Brien, Paudie Maher (Captain), Mickey Cahill, Tom Stapleton, Conor O'Mahony, David Young, Brendan Maher, James Woodlock, Gar Ryan, Noel McGrath, Pa Bourke, Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, John O'Brien.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Tipperary Team to play Cork in National League Semi Sunday in thurles Brendan Cummins, Conor O'Brien, Paudie Maher (Captain), Mickey Cahill, Tom Stapleton, Conor O'Mahony, David Young, Brendan Maher, James Woodlock, Gar Ryan, Noel McGrath, Pa Bourke, Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, John O'Brien.
    Paudie in at Full back for Curran,I would have faith in him to do well there.I suppose it's the strongest team available to us but some would probably rather see Shane Mc Grath on the team instead of Woodlock,looking forward to going to the Stadium Sunday now, should be a couple of good games hopefully.....Hon Tipp......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is a severe lack of pace in that team, especially in the half back areas.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is a severe lack of pace in that team, especially in the half back areas.

Totally agree. Shane Maher not the fastest for example but he would have been a better option then Young who doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence to be honest. John o'Keefe may not have been the best under a high ball but has pace and might be better to mark Paudie Kissane who is a speed merchant. Woodlock will win alot of dirty ball but i think his role is best as a sub as he has unbelievable pace for when an opposition is tired and besides i think its madness to drop Shane McGrath. One of the best midfielders in Ireland to spot a long pass like the first goal for Lar in 2010. Its like he is being punished for taking the hard shoulder from Fennelly in last years final but of course management werent as quick to take him off then.

I think Tipp need to make the league final for the extra game and preparation if anything. Conor O'Brien needs to have a big game on sunday. Paddy Saint is out and so is Donagh Maher. O'Brien needs to step up to the plate and put these guys under pressure. god knows he has alot of well wishers from the west on premierview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Whats ye're thoughts on todays game lads...I personally dont know where Tipperary go from here utterly disappointed about todays performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Declan Ryan and co. need to move on in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Some shocking stuff from Tipp today like very poor decision making and not being able to make simple passes.
    It's going to be a very short summer..........

Declan Ryan and co. need to move on in my opinion.

This has already been discussed throughout the league just a pity the county board dont see what we see...i now feel its too late to change the management without causing further upset and disruption within the camp..... why have the Tipperary forwards stopped the rotation and movement they developed while under the guidance of Sheedy and co if you take out Kellys goal from the free this is a bad beating on home soil...If anything were lucky not to be facing Kilkenny in the league final it would of been a complete embarrassment....I doubt Limerick are too worried dis evening if anything we should be the ones worrying!!!

Agree whole heartedly with the contributors and in particular Carey who noted that the fundamental difference was the style of play.
    The situation at present is very very concerning. Gone is the link play we became accustomed to. We now have players going on individual solo runs as no one is making themselves available in space, no communication between players and speak of solo runs we have the likes of tom stapleton and paidi maher making 70 yard runs up the pitch to try take their own point which is totally greedy and stupid in succession or failure.

Jimmy Barry Murphy said that their short term ambition is to close the gap on Tipp and with the bit of help from our inept and naive management he has exceeded his expectations within the first 6 months of his term. Declan has taken us right back to the past, Marty McFly style and there isnt a Delorean in sight.

i must say though, we are missing Bonnar Maher who is a huge huge loss. Bonnars absence is as much to the reason the goals have dried up as Lar's absence. Seamus Callanan and Seamus Hennessey are big losses too. callanan for his goals and hennessey for his strength.

3 players i would like to see called up are Bubbles Dwyer, Denis Maher and Mikey Heffernan. Jason Forde is a one we will be looking at in the future. When you look at how well Sweetnam is doing for Cork despite only doing his leaving cert you would wonder would Forde have been at least worth calling up to the panel to give him the experience. i seen him get 3 terrific points from play in ballyragget a couple of weeks ago. he is one for the future no doubt.

Another thing i must say today is that Brendan Cummins gave away 3 points to Cork with rubbish puckouts. If he was an outfield player giving away the ball that much we'd be giving out stink about him. He has been getting away with this for years and while i dont like Babs, he may have had a point dropping him in 2007. Noel McGrath strolling around the field like he is undroppable too recently.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing stuff from Tipp today,can't even get my head around talking about it for the moment,between Spurs and Tipp me head is feckin wrecked.:mad:

The panel is very thin on the ground i must also admit at present. Paul Curran, and Donagh Maher were also out today and Paidi Maher as we know is more comfortable at number 7 where the cork wing fwd ran amok today on Young. Shane Maher made some difference but isnt the paciest player either.

I do think that Limerick wont fear Tipp and will bring a similar type of game to them as Cork did today. I hope Tipp have a plan B for if needs be because Div 1 v Div 2 wont count for much if we dont. Either way i think the management have serious inadequacies which the league is greatly camouflaging. Perhaps they will come out with a different type of gameplan on May 27th and resemble the team that have taken teams apart the last 3 years but judging by the body language of some of the players they are only a shadow of their former selves. Brendan Maher and Shane Mcgrath are two such examples. The world at their feet 2 year ago, they look totally demoralised.

Totally agree with a number of comments being made here tonight it seems to be a case of taking one step forward and two steps back with regards to progress being made it simply isnt good enough we can see there is changes to be made yet the management cant seem to see it...I agree that Cummins' puck outs are sloppy recently and thats something that needs to be addressed...Dennis Maher is definitely one for next year i reckon bubbles is too small....Pat Kerwick has been in top form for Killenaule recently maybe he should be given a chance to prove his worth, it is very evident watching the players to see the lack of enthusiasm confidence and the drive that was there under previous management.... IMO Callinan should take up Lars roll in the full forward line because when a goal chance presents itself he normally takes advantage of this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Like Tippspur said. Wrecked from Manchester United and even more from Tipperary. Just frustrating as I was delighted after we got two goals.

Cork are lethal. Will be shouting for them versus Kilkenny.

carey2010 wrote: »
    Totally agree with a number of comments being made here tonight it seems to be a case of taking one step forward and two steps back with regards to progress being made it simply isnt good enough we can see there is changes to be made yet the management cant seem to see it...I agree that Cummins' puck outs are sloppy recently and thats something that needs to be addressed...Dennis Maher is definitely one for next year i reckon bubbles is too small....Pat Kerwick has been in top form for Killenaule recently maybe he should be given a chance to prove his worth, it is very evident watching the players to see the lack of enthusiasm confidence and the drive that was there under previous management.... IMO Callinan should take up Lars roll in the full forward line because when a goal chance presents itself he normally takes advantage of this!!!

Agree with everything you said but i think Bubbles would be ok. I mean if we have John O'Neill and Timmy Hammersly on the panel who offer no physicality, then its better to offer a lad like Bubbles a berth either at wing forward or corner forward who has some, and i can tell you now that boy can mix it.
    He certainly gave Tommy Walsh's brother enough of it in that challenge in ballyragget a few weeks ago and provided great leadership on the night.

Great to hear Festy doing well for the club. I felt it was very unfair he was dropped. he wasnt doing that bad pre the league and is better then alot of the other forward options we have.

I agree about the John O'Neill and Timmy Hammersly statements it must be hard for the others seeing the likes of them making the panel when theres clearly better players around the county..It infuriates me to see all these problems not being resolved or even an attempt at it...No doubt Seamus Martin will have a few phone calls tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭oats 2

its difficult to know where tipp are going to turn to now.
    so many payers on the panel now that the genuine supporter have little faith
    in.its after falling apart,no confidance,no buzz about the team.dont like runing down any of the management 2 much but i think declaan an co need to shake themselves now and start hurling instead of running and weights.kelly, larry, curran, seamie canlan,shane mcgrath, an benny dunne even all this men a loss when not in 1st 15.
    feel like they will kick off yet tho.some good performances yesterday.bourke excellent on the placed balls.o meara put down a promising hour.our centre back is hurling good.hard to pick starting 15 now.

oats 2 wrote: »
    its difficult to know where tipp are going to turn to now.
    so many payers on the panel now that the genuine supporter have little faith
    in.its after falling apart,no confidance,no buzz about the team.dont like runing down any of the management 2 much but i think declaan an co need to shake themselves now and start hurling instead of running and weights.kelly, larry, curran, seamie canlan,shane mcgrath, an benny dunne even all this men a loss when not in 1st 15.
    feel like they will kick off yet tho.some good performances yesterday.bourke excellent on the placed balls.o meara put down a promising hour.our centre back is hurling good.hard to pick starting 15 now.

Fitness was never an issue with tipp the last few years so why in gods name have management cited lack of strength and conditioning is anyones guess. Probably as an excuse for their own shortcomings. We should be training smarter not harder.

Cian O'Neill is perhaps one of the best fitness trainers in Ireland but the management made a scape goat of O'Neill and practically ran him out of the county after the all ireland and they seem hell bent on refusing to take ownership of the decisions (or lack of) that they made in last years final.

I would have no problem running down the management as they went into this job with their eyes open, and the whole dynamic that Sheedy and Co built up the 3 years previously was subsequently undone by them.
    The Munster championship win last year just dont cut it. The only currency that matters is the all ireland and anyone who thinks that these two statues on the line, devoid of tactics and charisma, are going to outsmart Brian Cody, then they are deluded. The time for 'wait and see' is over. Players that were at the pinnacle of their game in 2010 are a shadow of their former selves. All the ingredients that were present in 2010, have been eroded away.

Like Tippspur said. Wrecked from Manchester United and even more from Tipperary. Just frustrating as I was delighted after we got two goals.

Cork are lethal. Will be shouting for them versus Kilkenny.

Cork are still a work in progress but they are playing with the same flamboyance and confidence that Tipp played with when Sheedy took over. They have a great blend of youth and experience to be fair to them and a very shrewd man at the helm in JBM.

• Advertisement

Fitness was never an issue with tipp the last few years so why in gods name have management cited lack of strength and conditioning is anyones guess. Probably as an excuse for their own shortcomings. We should be training smarter not harder.

Cian O'Neill is perhaps one of the best fitness trainers in Ireland but the management made a scape goat of O'Neill and practically ran him out of the county after the all ireland and they seem hell bent on refusing to take ownership of the decisions (or lack of) that they made in last years final.

I would have no problem running down the management as they went into this job with their eyes open, and the whole dynamic that Sheedy and Co built up the 3 years previously was subsequently undone by them.
    The Munster championship win last year just dont cut it. The only currency that matters is the all ireland and anyone who thinks that these two statues on the line, devoid of tactics and charisma, are going to outsmart Brian Cody, then they are deluded. The time for 'wait and see' is over. Players that were at the pinnacle of their game in 2010 are a shadow of their former selves. All the ingredients that were present in 2010, have been eroded away.

Totally agree with this one no denying the team is in a completely different place now than when they were with sheedy the management had a team that was at its height when they took them over and now the team is at an all time low with regards moral and drive.....Even by looking at the team playing the players are getting greedy with not passing the ball I think the players respected Sheedy more than Ryan and he kept them in line....Such a pity to see a team capable of AI success again not performing to their abilities!!

Advertisement