Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with housemates

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

So I've moved into accommodation with a cousin of mine and two people that were already living there. My cousin is mates with one of these from a long way back and mates with the other one since she moved in about 18 months ago.

I've lived with loads of flatmates before and never had any problems with them. Anything I disagreed on with any of them or anything they disagreed with me about was always said e.g. if I was too messy or too loud, they were too messy or too loud. It was always said. Something has been bugging me in this place for ages, that we're not allowed put personal pictures out in any of the common areas. Except, pictures of people who live in the place are allowed - i.e. pictures of my cousin and her mate on holidays. This annoys me. I don't feel like the house is my home or that I'm an equal share in the place. My cousin is older and is very territorial about the whole thing so today I decided to confront her about this. She now says that the other two have been complaining about me to her but they didn't want to "make waves" so they said nothing to me.

My question is - is she just bsing me and being a cow about it because she wants to be boss in the place or do the others actually feel that way? Because I've said how I feel about things to them but they've never made any complaints to me. Now I just feel like I've been a really ****ty inconsiderate housemate but this annoys me because I know I would have stopped doing whatever annoyed them if they'd only said so, this is what I've always done before. So why the eff didn't they just say so? Is this normal housemate behaviour or am I just in an awkward situation because I've moved in with family? Either way, what should I do?

Sorry for the length, any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How about a house meeting? It's always dangerous to deal through a third party, who may have their own axe to grind. Doesn't have to be formal, just why don't you suggest that you all sit down over coffee at the weekend and talk it out. If you're all paying the same rent then you should have equal rights in the common areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Thanks, think I'll give that a go and see how things progress.

Advertisement