Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target pistol handles.

• 03-01-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38

Where is the best place to get customised handles? Steyr? Baikal?
    I'd like to swop my medium Steyr handle for a large or buy one if the price is right.
    The Baikal seems to be one size fits all but it doesn't... Again my not too large hand is just that bit too big..
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Dewan wrote: »
    I'd like to swop my medium Steyr handle for a large or buy one if the price is right.
    The Baikal seems to be one size fits all but it doesn't... Again my not too large hand is just that bit too big..
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

Sir - if you mean target GRIPS, then NILL is the man. Google Nill grips, or, if you are a German speaker, Nill Griffschalen. You write him and he sends you a template to use - the cost is not small.

I recall that Morini also make grips for other guns that their own - I have them on my FAS pistol, you might care to look at their site as well, and although they do not make customised grips they do produce a series of different sizes that suit most shooters.

However, most shooters serious enough to want to have custom grips alter their own with epoxy putty or similar. It's cheaper that the 300 or so euros that Nill charges, and you can see the results instantly.

My $0.02

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Pat cooke in hilltop quads is the irish agent or stockist for nill, i don't know what he carries in stock though. What model of steyr is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Dewan

LP5. Recently serviced by Steyr and as new inside.

Many thanks - I've just looked them up. Maybe a little expensive for my old model but my birthday is coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nill are excellent, but don't discount Rink grips, they make an LP5 grip.

Thing is though, the stock Steyr LP5 grip is pretty damn decent. Unless you really need a new one (eg. you bought second-hand and the grip's completely too small/large for you), you're better off tweaking the stock grip with plastic wood and sandpaper (and even that you ought to leave for at least a few months of training before you go near it).

• Advertisement

Yes I bought it secondhand and the grip is very good but is just a little too small. I agree totally that I should persevere with it but there just might be someone out there with a large grip that's just that little bit too big!
    Thanks - I'll try the other German provider of grips as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm going to throw this out there simply for the "other option" value of it. Why not look at a few home grown stock makers. Usually they deal with bespoke stocks for shotguns or rifles, but you never know. They have the tools, and ability to do these stocks they may be able to customise a grip for you.

Enda Walsh - Gunstockssireland

Pat Sludds - Gunstocks.

Maybe they don't deal with what you want. Maybe they simply cannot or it could turn out to be more expensive. However having had a custom stock made i know the process they use, and with a grip on my rifle stock carved from a mold of my hand i know the fit is perfect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Good idea - let's see how it pans out. The stock on ezridax's rifle is a thing of rare beauty, that's for sure.

tac

I heard back from Pat Sludds - He doesn't do handguns.

I heard back from Pat Sludds - He doesn't do handguns.

What, exactly, is the problem with the grip that you have? As you know, I also have the Steyr LP5, and have found that it has more capacity for adjustment than just about any other gun of its type.

It moves in the fore and aft axis, side-to-side, and it even rotates to ensure that the line-of-sight goes straight into the shooting eye. The ball-joint point of grip fixture ensures that just about any angle of hold can be accommodated, even if, like me, you have to adjust it for people with less than normal ability to hold it. To that end, I have both a left and a right-hand standard adjustable grip for both my target air pistols - Steyr and FAS.

Surrey Guns over here might be able to help if you have hands like shovels and find that the normal grip is just not big enuff for you, Steyr DO make an even larger version, but apart from that, and having found nobody in Ireland to make you one, your choices are somewhat limited, I'd say. Is there no Steyr dealer in the RoI?

If you have reservations about buying items from England, howsabout Scotland? Edinkillie are THE shooting dealership in Scotland - and their grips are pretty cheap, too - see - http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/rink-air-pistol-grip-p-384.html

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 psf32

Any advice welcome
    Thanks

All I would ask is your grip to small or just dose not fit as a lot can be done with filler and a dremmel.

I have very large hads and for years used a large grip but as I got more experience moved to a medium grip and with a lot of work now have the best ever fitting grip.

I will look if I can find the information of how a grip should fit Tom redhead done a very good article on how to fit a grip.

Advertisement