Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Massey is classy!

• 03-01-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

so was doing a bit of work today with the 5455 (moving some bales around)

noticed a strange noise coming from the engine...sounding like a far away angle grinder in a shed)

then about a minute later noise got much worse white smoke started billowing out of the exhaust (and I mean billowing - clouds of the stuff)

got out to see if I could hear or spot where the trouble was coming from.......engine was running very rough sounds as if not all cylinders are firing correctly (kinda had the sound of a thumper/single cylinder motorcycle buried under the usual engine note) + it was revvinng up and down periodically (fast cycle) of its own accord without any throttle input

parked it up immediately and switched it off...........all in all about three minutes from first detecting even hint of a problem to shutting the machine down

I'm fairly sure its an internal problem with the engine.........I suspect a piston ring gone or a gasket blown or scored cylinder walls.........something that is allowing a lot of diesel into the exhaust to be burned

So what do ye think it is so I don't look like a complete moron when I bring it in to get if fixed + how long should a problem like this take to remedy

and more importantly ...how much do ye think something this could end up costing :( (not to mention loss of tractor when I need it for feeding cattle - the hungry huars!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

the zetor is better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

askU wrote: »
    the zetor is better...

ay yeah but the Deere is queer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

from what u said id say it could be the turbo shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

could be right there.
    €1000
    1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

My first thought too, white smoke usually means the turbo.

• Advertisement

tks all.....guess I'll find out soon

€1000 :eek: sickener:(

found it a grand handy tractor to use around the yard with a loader too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I would hope it is only a turbo, engine problems could have you penning a figure of 5 on a cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Is the diesel lifter pump running properly, to check turn on the first stage of the key and listen for the buzzing noise. I had a similar problem one day when lifter pump go shot. Doubt it tough when you say there was grind noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

fauly lift pump = tractor splutters or stops, no strange noises or clouds of smoke. it definately the turbo OP from what you have said, hopefully no long term damage. if anyone ever experiences the problem, best thing is to stop the tractor via stopper or key and throw it into top gear and let clutch out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 masseys scrap and zetors no better

yeah more than likely your turbo im afraid.that would explain the grinding noise,its very surprising to hear of a turbo going in a fresh tractor like that,ive seen turbo's manage 15,000hrs on tractors with a bit of care,how many hours on the tractor? also dont go and fit a new turbo to you check out what caused the turbo to fail in the first place because if you fit a new one and the same thing happens again it will be very very costly,replacing the turbo will take 4-5 hours,but if its engine problems you could be talking days.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

weefarmer wrote: »
    My first thought too, white smoke usually means the turbo.

Or a new pope...Benedict is still around so it could be the Turbo...

yeah more than likely your turbo im afraid.that would explain the grinding noise,its very surprising to hear of a turbo going in a fresh tractor like that,ive seen turbo's manage 15,000hrs on tractors with a bit of care,how many hours on the tractor? also dont go and fit a new turbo to you check out what caused the turbo to fail in the first place because if you fit a new one and the same thing happens again it will be very very costly,replacing the turbo will take 4-5 hours,but if its engine problems you could be talking days.....

it was sold to me with 2900 hrs on it (supposedly)...its done very light work and approx 300hrs since (have to check to be sure of exact figure)...it looks genuine for those hours

have observed the start up and shut down procedures to protect turbo so

(tractor has never had a long period of standstill while I've had it -- gets regular work although light and not for very long)

coolant...oil...fluids etc all at the corect levels...no warning lights came on...tractor is a genuine tractor imo or its the best cover up I have ever seen....was spotless inside and out with no sign of any paintjob etc etc......backend looks fine..clutch grand....only issue I've had with it so far (apart from this rather big one) was the pins keeping the ball hitch were seized (which I found strange enough given I have a 35 year old 135 that this does not happen to but then again I keep it well greased) and I had to remove the whole section the hitch was attached to and apply heat and a little brute force in the shape of a lump hammer to work the pins loose to put on a different hitch

what secondary issuses could cause a turbo to fail.......not getting correct oilflow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i seen a turbo fail on a 2 year old tractor with only 2500 hrs , in this case it would only let oil up the exhuast pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

Just on a side note. What would be at fault if a tractor was blowing alot of white smoke at start up. Was looking a tractor at over xmas, no panic to buy, but i thought it wasn't right. Seller said was because its opened up a bit hence more power/smoke:rolleyes:. Hopefully shes back in action soon OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

Its your fuel lift pump thats shot IMO. Had a similar experience with mine. The pump and filter assembly will need to be replaced. Half a hours work and a couple of hundred euro should see you back in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I haven't seen a the turbo you talk about, but recently saw one out of a diesel car that had seized. It's hard to be definite about turbo failure but it could be
    • Not getting enough oil to the bearings
    • or the wrong oil. If the oil is too thick, then the bearing will not be lubricated.
    • Alternatively if the oil hadn't been changed then the bearing would be starved of oil
    • Or just a dodgy turbo from start
    then again it may not be the turbo that has gone. on a car the turbo is driven by the exhaust from the engine, which means that there is no 'grinding' if it fails.

If you have heard grinding, it could be the timing chain has slipped or any mannner of other things. Sudden failure like that is usually catastrophic failure like a piston ring or a bearing.

Open heart surgery will be the only way to know..or should that be open wallet .....
    amacca wrote: »
    it was sold to me with 2900 hrs on it (supposedly)...its done very light work and approx 300hrs since (have to check to be sure of exact figure)...it looks genuine for those hours

have observed the start up and shut down procedures to protect turbo so

(tractor has never had a long period of standstill while I've had it -- gets regular work although light and not for very long)

coolant...oil...fluids etc all at the corect levels...no warning lights came on...tractor is a genuine tractor imo or its the best cover up I have ever seen....was spotless inside and out with no sign of any paintjob etc etc......backend looks fine..clutch grand....only issue I've had with it so far (apart from this rather big one) was the pins keeping the ball hitch were seized (which I found strange enough given I have a 35 year old 135 that this does not happen to but then again I keep it well greased) and I had to remove the whole section the hitch was attached to and apply heat and a little brute force in the shape of a lump hammer to work the pins loose to put on a different hitch

what secondary issuses could cause a turbo to fail.......not getting correct oilflow?

Advertisement