Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion's of remington 870 express super magnum??

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    im looking to buy a remington 870 express super magnum pump action 12g and was interested if anyone has any experience with them on how they are reliability wise and is there any need for the 3.5 inch magnum shells? how avaliable are the magnum cartridges and would you use them very often? basicly asking is it worth gettin a super mag over a standard 870??

regards

james4510

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Super mag can fire 3" and 3.5
    A friend has an 870 and I do like it, hard to transition back from a semi though.

The mag shells are in all good RFD's I've ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, the 870 is the benchmark which pretty much all other pumps must measure up.So is it a good gun??. Undoubtly YES!!
    3.5 maggies are great if you are going to be going goose, high ducks, foxes or turkey hunting at long range,or need some magnum slugs for wild boar, or escaped rhinos.:eek:
    Yes they are out there and are relatively easily available,but are expensive too,and unless you are going to be doing alot of waterfowling here,not worth the cost apart from special occasions..Apart form that the only thing is the 3.5 magnum is abit heavier than the std 870 which it needs to be to take in the recoil and pressures,so it isnt really a gun you will want to tote around for a days shooting walking a bog! OTOH it wont kick as much as lighter guns firing magnum shells and it has versatility of various loads from 2in up to 3.5in.

Pricewise,no idea of what the dealer is going to hit you with in markup over the std 870,but apart from maybe the cost and weight Vs the ammo versatility/price and the type of shooting you are going to do.I'd weigh it up on those factors.
    Either which way you wont go wrong with the 870.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have one, Its chief advantage is versatility, it can fire any ammo available to you, from 2.75"to 3.5" shells,
    You can get heavy magnum 42g BB in 2.75" which is plenty for most targets, light magnum are 36g.
    The 3.5" 12g is roughly equivalent to a 10g shell.
    00 Buck is 18 pellets compared to 2.75" 9 pellets.
    I have found some problems extracting low brass cartridges specifically Eley Grand Prix they tend to stick in the chamber.
    High brass and Remingtons own ammo is no problem.
    I haven't found 3.5" ammo in many dealers most stock 3" or under.
    That said, I have shot a good bit of game with it, from phezzies to snipe and rabbits and it performs well for a 300 euro gun. (2nd owner)
    Snobs who only shoot SxS or OU may find it hard to deal with an all black pump action but thankfully they aren't that common.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i just picked up my 870 pump there a couple of weeks ago and i am having great success with it.
    a cheep shotgun but it is built to last and it wont let you down.

my one is the express magnum which means it is chambered for up to 3" magnums and not 3.5" but i dont think i will ever need the big ones.

its light and easy to handle and you can get loads of after market bits and pieces that you can just bolt on with to problem

i believe there are snobs out there that will frown on a black pump action, but when you start dropping birds all around them and have a big grin on your face after using it then who really cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I love my 870 it's the Dogs Danglies. Mine is only chambered for 2.75 and 3 but I don't see the need for the 3.5 myself. It's a good FUN gun. I would recommend one to anyone:cool::cool::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 virgindrummer

The 870 is an amazing gun. Regarding 3 inch vs. 3.5 inch, I will only add that some accessories that fit the regular 12g will not fil the super magnum. One of the best things about the 870 is all the toys and trinkets you can add on to it, so only get the super magnum version if you know you won't want to pimp it out, and if you know that you will actually need the insanely heavy loads.

Either way you'll get a great value gun for the money. If you treat it right it will outlast you, and in terms of performance it will hold it's own agains guns that cost ten times more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

thanks for all the reply's. i was in to rfd today and bought a 870 super mag with approx 100 rounds through it with wooden stock and fore end (standard 870 was black synthetic) in mint condition for 500 yoyo's ...... thought i would go for that even though as it was pointed out it is a little heavier but its nice to know i can fire up to 3.5 cartridges even if i never do but u never know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

james4510 wrote: »
    i was in to rfd today and bought a 870 super mag with approx 100 rounds through it with wooden stock and fore end

Welcome to the club James.

You'll find any 870 to be: a workhorse, well supported, and a benchmark for shotguns.

If you ever make it to the states, have a look at the Remington Country Store online for plenty of options.

Also, I will have to check again, but I think the stocks for the 870, Express Magnum, Super Magnum, 1100, and 11-87 are interchangeable. Maybe with the exception of a bolt or washer.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Happy&safe shooting with it.You dont really need any other shotguns ever again now.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Happy&safe shooting with it.You dont really need any other shotguns ever again now.:D

lol i have a marocchi o/u for the clays lol and wanted something more rugged and hard core for the harsh hunting trips lol

i was ouut yesterday with the 870 and used my first 3.5" magnum cartridge (63g no.2) and it made a mess of charlie! (no more of my chickens for him lol)

I used a 38g no.0 on a fox last season and it made a mess ok but nothing like the magnum definatly a clean dispatch lol

overall im very please with it was out today and got a couple of pheasent and duck with some remington 36g no.6's all in all im very happy with it and i like the light wood on dark metal so dont think i will bother changing the stock and for end.

Just have the joy of sittin here cleaning it now : ( but has to be done. thanks for the reply people

• Advertisement
Advertisement