Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past Leaving Cert. Students wanted!

• 03-01-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Right, so I've been doing nothing and I need to start. Please, scare me into starting, I only respond to fear. I don't know what I'm going to do, going a bit insane here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Right, so I've been doing nothing and I need to start. Please, scare me into starting, I only respond to fear. I don't know what I'm going to do, going a bit insane here!

Past and present Leaving Cert student here. :cool:

You want the truth? If you don't study your arse off they (the powers that be) take your soul. Hate to break it to you but that's just how it is, I was lucky to make it out alive to be honest.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

A friend of mine is 24 and is getting stung in job interviews because even though he has a masters degree his leaving results aren't up to scratch.

Depending on the job you're after, that stuff comes back to haunt you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

well im back fecking repeating!! did a good enough lc. But fell short. I can tell you there is no worse feeling than opening an exam paper and not knowing the stuff!! So don't be like that and don't be repeating cause it ain't easy getting the courses done in a year

Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Might as well use it where it's wanted...(nobody really appreciated it in the Christmas thread :()
    That's because it gets even worse next term. It gets excruciatingly hard. Forget poxy mocks (the papers are all ridiculously low quality anyway), the orals, oh god the orals. Even the most extrovert of students struggle. You practically need to be fluent to do well in them. And then the horrible pre-exam run-up. These exams decide your entire life. Don't forget that. Better start studying now unless you wanna end up like the Janitor in Scrubs. Actually, that'd probably be optimistic. Maybe a Janitor's assistant starting out, given the way things are currently going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emily van Dickinson

Mate...I think you need to scare yourself for it to be effective! What worked for me was to make list of everything that needed to be revised...it'll probably scared the hell outa ya when you see how much to do BUT you'll get a really good feeling when you start ticking things off the list! Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

What spurred me on was the thought of having to do it all again if I failed...

That and the fact that the points race heats up in a recession... If you don't do a good job this year, the course you want could go up another 5/10/15 points next time round

^what I chanted to myself every evening after the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

As Nike says, "Just do it". You have to do these exams, so you might as well give yourself every chance to do well. It won't learn itself. Why do nothing and regret it later? You're obviously concerned, so you're smart enough to know that you're only standing in your own way now. You have literally nothing to gain by doing no study, but you do have things to lose. Procrastinating ain't the answer! Get working and you'll be so glad you did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Okay I'll give you my serious opinion this time:

Everyone needs to study if they don't want to repeat, no matter how smart the student is.

Even if you're thinking to yourself ah sure I'm not going to do so bad I have to repeat, (and you may be dead right,) but trust me on this: There's no worse feeling than opening your results and being disappointed because you know you were capable of doing better. You know that if only you had put a bit more effort in, it would have made a difference. It's not a nice feeling.

Now imagine if that happens and you're five points off your dream course. You'd be gutted.

Also, if you've chosen your number one choice, don't aim to get the points for that course. Aim to do your best. As in, if you just need six Cs and you're well cable of six Bs, then don't aim for the Cs.

And remember that points sometimes go up by over fifty points, not just five.

I guess the main thing is, don't assume you just need X points because that's all you need for a certain course. What if you change your mind or drop out, and set your heart on a course with higher points? There'd be nothing you could do, except repeat, hang around until you're a mature student, or go for a course you're not half as interested in.

It's only 122 days until the Leaving Cert. you might as well give your all until the end of the year.

And you don't want to end up repeating. Seriously. It's only one year but jaysus it's not much fun seeing all your friends off having the craic in college while you're stuck at home revising what you should have learnt last year.

Hope I've scared you enough there, if not I can have another go! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oh and dont forget Coeur, youll have to learn new poets, MacBeth, new Irish pictures, more project maths and depending on what subjects you do, a hell of a lot more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh and dont forget Coeur, youll have to learn new poets, MacBeth, new Irish pictures, more project maths and depending on what subjects you do, a hell of a lot more :P

i read that and thought "THAT IS THE BEST ONE"

didnt scare me, just p*ssed me off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

My advice is to look to the future. My advice is to find inspiration all around you. This time last year I stuck a notice up on my wall next to where I was working saying "August 2011 = Success", and filled it with random motivational quotes to make sure I was really pumped!

Motivation is key, and you should try your hardest to stay motivated no matter how futile it seems! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it is YOU who shape what the exit of the tunnel is going to be like. The feeling of sheer delight that one can get if they live up to their potential and get the results they deserve next August is fantastic! Live for it! Live for the potential future moments of awesome that these exams can pave the way for! Live for the fact that next year, you could be halfway through a college course that you love and that you earned your place on!

Drive yourself to achieve, and you can do anything! :D. Set targets for YOU not for anyone else, not for what other people expect of you, do what you want! If you want to get what you feel are good results (again the definition of good results is all relative), then it's only you that can ultimately help yourself get there. Have confidence in yourself and your own ability! Right now the work may seem never ending, but trust me it isn't! :D

You all can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Stop procrastinating and do the fúcking work. Even though I say this you probably wont, I was the exact same last year and only worked in the end, still ended up in a good course I am happy with but I was one of the lucky few in this situation. I know many people who were aiming for high courses and are now stuck doing something like Arts in some place they never even properly considered.

Do the work so you get the course you want. All you have to do now is 4 and a half months of work which will you give you hell of a better chance of avoiding 3-4 years of depressing shít you hate studying. You work now, you enjoy college much more, you piss about now, you've a much greater chance of ending up doing something you wont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

It can all be done from Easter on with some serious cramming :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Thanks everyone for the advice! I started today, it might only last until tomorrow but hopefully it'll last longer! :D
    RMD wrote: »
    Stop procrastinating and do the fúcking work. Even though I say this you probably wont, I was the exact same last year and only worked in the end, still ended up in a good course I am happy with but I was one of the lucky few in this situation. I know many people who were aiming for high courses and are now stuck doing something like Arts in some place they never even properly considered.

Do the work so you get the course you want. All you have to do now is 4 and a half months of work which will you give you hell of a better chance of avoiding 3-4 years of depressing shít you hate studying. You work now, you enjoy college much more, you piss about now, you've a much greater chance of ending up doing something you wont like.

The thing is, the course that I want to do is actually Arts, but I want to get around 450 because I want to achieve what I believe is my potential. Hopefully I will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Where are you planning on doing it? It went down by 15 points in NUIG last year I think and only increased by 5/10 points elsewhere, except maybe NUIM where it could have went up by 30 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jessiepoo410

I did my Leaving Cert last year and i got 540. The biggest piece of advice i can give you is not to panic. If you start to panic about how little you have done, you will end up doing NO productive study. I found aswell that you shouldnt listen to your teacher's advice on how to study. Do what suits YOU. Most of my teachers told me to make notes and stuff, but that didnt work for me, i could only work out of textbooks.Its never too late to catch up if you are behind, you dont need to know EVERYTHING going into the leaving cert :D Good Luck!

Advertisement