Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 120mm fans?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey guys

In your opinion, which 120mm fans are the best for the price and durability? Recently my two of my ezcool supersilent radiator fans died therefore im looking to replace them.

Any recommendations are welcome, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For radiators? Gentle Tyhoons. There are slightly better fans out there, but for the price, you can't beat GTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

Cheers for the suggestion, but im stuck with a choice between the GT's or Akasa Venom viper.

Ive been reading some reviews and discussions on different websites and forums and people are saying that both fans are nearly identical in terms of performance but people tend to opt for the Akasa viper as it has a PWM control.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JCW

popflop wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestion, but im stuck with a choice between the GT's or Akasa Venom viper.

Ive been reading some reviews and discussions on different websites and forums and people are saying that both fans are nearly identical in terms of performance but people tend to opt for the Akasa viper as it has a PWM control.

Whenever Im looking at fans I always try the find the one with the biggest CFM (hom much air it blows) and the dba (the noise pollution) higher CFM+Low DBA equals a good fan!!

JCW wrote: »
    Whenever Im looking at fans I always try the find the one with the biggest CFM (hom much air it blows) and the dba (the noise pollution) higher CFM+Low DBA equals a good fan!!

That's generally true of case fans, but when you're talking about radiator (and to an extent, heatsink) fans, different forces come into play.

With radiator fans, CFM isn't important so much as static pressure. This is usually measured in how many millimeters of water the fan can "push" if placed vertically, blowing up. This determines a good radiator fan*, more-so than CFM/dB(A).

* In terms of performance only, to say nothing of noise/performance.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's generally true of case fans, but when you're talking about radiator (and to an extent, heatsink) fans, different forces come into play.

With radiator fans, CFM isn't important so much as static pressure. This is usually measured in how many millimeters of water the fan can "push" if placed vertically, blowing up. This determines a good radiator fan*, more-so than CFM/dB(A).

* In terms of performance only, to say nothing of noise/performance.

In that case what would your choice be? The GT or Akasa Venom Viper?

• Advertisement

What speed would you be running the fan(s) at?

I went ahead and ordered two Akasa AK-FN059. Cheers for the advice anyhow.

Advertisement