Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical certs in oz?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

hey iv just arrived in sydney and am looking in to getting my irish electrical certs recognized and get up and work as a electrician over here.

has anyone got any tips or advice on how to do this? have any of you recently done it?

thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi Peter,

I've assisted people get their electrical certs in Oz before.

Every state operates independently and have slightly different rules regarding getting the electrical license. NSW is probably one of the hardest states to get the license sorted but it can be done if you are prepared to work on a temporary license for a few months and get paid rubbish money (as your work needs to be signed off by a NSW qualified electrician first). Then do a theory and practical test.

WA is easier to get the license as you don't have to work for x months under a qualified electrician first. You need an ARTC cert and then do a theory and practical test while in WA.

You can contact me directly if you want more specific information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rbyrne1888

what do you mean by a temporary license declan , i have asked around as im in the same position myself and i have been told to complete the trades assesment form on the artc website and wait to hear from them ,your given a tracking number and ultimately its a waiting game

You must now be in Oz to lodge your ARTC applciation - previously, it could be lodged from outside Australia.

When the ARTC cert is issued, you need to go to the state board to get a license. A temporary license will be issued by them first.
    You can work as an electrician under this temporary license but all your work needs to be signed off by a fully qualified Aus electrician so in effect you are an electrican's assistant.

While on the temporary license, you need to apply for a permanent licence in order to sign off on your own work.
    Getting the permanent license varies from state to state - some states require you to work under a qualified electircian for 12 months before you can do your theory and practical test, other states require that you do a minimum amount of training courses.

But in my experience, WA is the most straight forward as it just requires that you book in for the theory and practical test. Once completed and the permanent licencse is issued, you can practical as a fully qualified electrician. The license is recognised in the other states too so you do not need to go resitting the test again.

Hope this helps
    Declan Clune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rbyrne1888

so does that mean that even though i apply for the trade cert (im in aus at the min) they wont recognise it till i work for an electrical company over here?
    they said to me that once my trade and referees at home comply im free to apply for the a grade license in anywhere in australia once i produce the artc form ?

thanks for replying by the way

Not necessarily - it depends on the state that you are in whether you need to work for an electrical company or not.

However, having the ARTC cert is not the end of the story - you need to apply for the temporary once you have the ARTC cert and do the theory and practical tests to get the permanent license. In addition, the permanent license may require that you work for the electrical company too but this depends on the state you are in - WA doesn't require that for example.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DeFeckin

HI guys

I have just finished my application form and am just wondering to what extent of detail did people go in to with regards to the attached past employment paperwork?

Also who certifies all of your documents before sending them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

after getting my little bit of travelling im now finally sorting mine!

defecklin a justice of the peace need to sign your paper work, not 100% on were you find one though.

what state are you applying in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

Can anyone provide information on the technical assessment aspect of the TRA for electricians? Have been called into Kent Street in Sydney at the end of Feb for this. Anyone have prior experience of this?
    Many Thanks

Advertisement