Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No warranty; can I claim?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I bought a 42in tv 4 years ago and last night it gave a loud bang and decided not to work any more, the bugger even tripped my RCD. My question is, even though I did not have an extended warranty could it be still covered by Irish or European consumer rights as to life expectancy from a consumer product:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ShaunC wrote: »
    I bought a 42in tv 4 years ago and last night it gave a loud bang and decided not to work any more, the bugger even tripped my RCD. My question is, even though I did not have an extended warranty could it be still covered by Irish or European consumer rights as to life expectancy from a consumer product:confused:
    Yes it may still be covered as long as you have proof of purchase and it is not caused through some electrical fault in your house or other customer damage, and you have not had it on 24/7 since buying it:) most sets have an hour counter and their reasonable lifespan would be calculated on a certain number of hours per day of use.

don't be expecting a refund of the full price or a new replacement after 4years.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The reasonable lifespan is the fuzzy bit for me. Are there guidelines available as to what the lifespan of a €1000 42in plasma tv. should be.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The reasonable lifespan is the fuzzy bit for me. Are there guidelines available as to what the lifespan of a €1000 42in plasma tv. should be.
    Thanks.

It's fuzzy for everyone and there are no guidelines. If you and the retailer can't agree on it then for €15 you can take a case in the Small Claims Court where a judge will decide for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

After 4 years it's highly unlikely that a court will rule in your favour. Even if they did, it would be for a very small refund, as you've had 4 years of perfect use out of it.

Yeah I'm kind of thinking that way myself. More hassle than its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yeah I'm kind of thinking that way myself. More hassle than its worth.

I think you are right. You are probably the victim of a random piece of bad luck.

Take yourself over to the technology forums to see if anybody can guide you towards diagnostics and the possibility of a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Lots of power flucuations with recent high winds and storms may have contributed?

You mean I can claim off the thieving Bas***ds Electricity Ireland. They blow up my tv and then send me a €300 esb bill. Feckin cheek. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

what make was it. ?

If you contact the manufacturer they may do something for you ..
    worth an email anyway.

What about house insurance.?

It's a Samsung. Don't think the home insurance is the way to go as policy excess is €250 and I would get screwed on my next premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Where did you buy it, how much was it, have you a receipt or some proof of purchase?

Bought in Harvey Normans 4 years ago at Christmas. Yes I have the reciept, I always try to keep them. It was €949 Pity the reciept will out live the tv. :(

Advertisement