Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulling an All-Nighter!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

pistonsvox wrote: »
    I'm completely screwed... Can't get to sleep until 7am and keep waking at 5pm or so!
    That happened to me but I should be back to normal now. Heading to bed now to find out. I tried going to bed early but just lay there for hours. In the end, I stayed up all night last night with the intention of sleeping early tonight. Im still wide awake now so Im not really sure what else I can do if that didnt work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I've pulled manys the all nighter back in my day, especially when I was writing my masters dissertation. That said rest and fear is the key to successful extended studying. My typical day towards the end of my dissertation was heading into college at 8pm for the night shift and staying until 6 or 7 in the morning. It is far easier to study at night I find as there are fewer distractions, and the libraries were pretty empty and not as stuffy. Very few people online to chat to is a big plus. Chemicals are a huge help and I used but don't recommend pro-plus caffeine tablets. Tea, coffee, red bull and chocolate are staples as well. That kind of thing isn't good for you of course. Other people I know somehow managed to get their hands on ritalin, and they really got in the zone. Studying machines on that stuff.

At the end of my dissertation I was into 36hr stints to complete it. The last days I was up for the best part of two days straight. Extremely stressful but good times all the same, though I don't know if I'd be able to do that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Ficheall wrote: »
    Don't do it the night before an exam. It's alright for getting work done - but if you've an exam to sit you're better off having at least four hour's sleep behind you.
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Forget about doing an all nighter before exams. It'll turn your brain to mush. Nearly failed a final before doing that. Plus they're not good for you.

Its way more productive to get a good sleep and do some cramming a few hours before the exam.

For most people, a good night's sleep is the only way to prepare the night before an exam. For others, it's just a better way, but when all else fails, an all nighter can get the job done.

I did quite a few while in college but only when I had an early exam and they always worked for me. I was very surprised by just how much I could take in in just a few hours and then rattle it off perfectly in the exam. By the end of the day though, I couldn't recall any of what I'd written (not that I really tried).

But then again, I was studying law, which doesn't take a great deal of brain function to understand and for the most part just required learning off cases. This might not work so well in other subjects.

I also sometimes used those pro-plus caffeine tablets but can't tell if they really did much. I never ever drank red bull or coffee (I'm a machine :cool: ... :rolleyes:) but got through the exam and the rest of the day, sometimes including work, on what I assumed was adrenalin.

Oh, and be careful of overdoing the caffeine, as what goes up must come down and you don't want to crash at the wrong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wouldn't recommend it as it completely drains you but as long as you're young (I couldn't/can't/won't do it now at 28) and you've the day after off, it can be done.

Best thing is to have everything set out before you do your task - like so you're just wrote-learning/drilling the info in on the night and aren't faffing out writing out notes or highlighting with a pen - it's business time! Water, tea +/- coffee and red bull (2 max) is what i'd use; hopefully your jitters from having the exam so close will keep you awake. I personally don't like soft drinks because of the carbonation at that time of night; also it's a balance for a caffeine crash/headache.

Also, doing this on a regular basis; you do grow a tolerance for Red Bull, so limit yourself as much as possible.

It goes without saying that all nighters are done for morning exams. If it's at 2pm etc you're better studying til midnight the night before, sleeping til 6-7am and doing another couple of hours.

Set attainable goals (eg 1 page every 30 minutes) and make sure to go over what you've previously learnt (even from earlier in the night) -- definitely knowing 10 things is better than half learning 20 things - come the exam it'd probably become a mess in your head. It needs to be drilled in there....but it'll be gone as soon as it leaves your pen! (hopefully not before):o

Get power sleep when you've earned it (i.e. sleeping for an hour after you've covered so much material). Also a shower and a minute burst of cold at the end will wake you up. Simple food - toast, noodles, nothing heavy, you'll just chuck it. Dioralyte sachets (used for diarrhoea) are full of electrolytes so i'd recommend having one with a pint of water.

Try to get at least 4 hours of sleep before the exam, but (being honest) i once got 40 minutes sleep after intensely cramming for 11 hours straight. It was when I found out i completely studied the wrong topics for an exam. I had a pounding headache during the exam and vomited when i left the hall. (still passed though! I've never been so proud yet so ashamed.)

Best of luck mate, and to anyone that tries it. Just push yourself, your drive will be the main factor pushing you when it's 3-4 am and anyone sensible is asleep. KICK THAT EXAM'S ASS! GRRRR! Game face on! :mad::mad::mad:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm curious, did you just say to yourself god I'd just love to reply to something on cramming before an exam, then do a search, found this and here you are. Coz your advice is a little too late for that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im going to pull my first all-nighter tomorrow, what should i expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It doesn't count if you sleep out the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Doing this right now because I've messed up my sleep pattern so much. Was off and was going to bed at 8am and up at 4pm.

I need to be up at 6.30 am though for a good while. Strangely I'm more tired now than I have at any other night this week at this stage. I'm also quite nervous as I have not done this before. I'm not sure whether to get the hour in or just leave it.

Regardless, I am quite worried that I won't be able to function tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Doing this right now because I've messed up my sleep pattern so much. Was off and was going to bed at 8am and up at 4pm.

I need to be up at 6.30 am though for a good while. Strangely I'm more tired now than I have at any other night this week at this stage. I'm also quite nervous as I have not done this before. I'm not sure whether to get the hour in or just leave it.

Regardless, I am quite worried that I won't be able to function tomorrow!

You'll be fine, you'll function for as long as you have to and then pass out when you can. It's not that difficult changing sleep patterns when you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Im going to pull my first all-nighter tomorrow, what should i expect?

To feel like sh!t the whole next day...

Did it in college once and tried to do it a second time for a project...I handed in a sh!t project in trade for some sleep:D

Advertisement