Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old child sleeping problems

Options
  • 03-01-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My daughter is 15 months old and up until Christmas was sleeping great.
    For the 2 weeks before we went home to Ireland she slept straight through 10-12 hours a night and before that she might wake once for bottle but be back asleep in 5 minutes or so.

However since we came back she is awake every 2-3 hours and crying.

She has 12 teeth and it might be the number 3s but is absolutely fine during the day.

The one thing she does differently now is she is walking around the house a hell of a lot these days as she is much more confident on her own now and when she goes to bed she kicks a lot which she didnt do before.
    I was wondering might she have muscle ache from all the walking and this could be waking her?
    Has anyone experience of something like this or is it totally stupid idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'm in the same boat w/ my 2 yr old. Since returning from a trip State-side last week our daughter has been a torture at nighttime. I was putting it down to jet lag, but everyone else suggested it could be an ear infection. I wasn't convinced b/c she was absolutely fine during the day (even with significantly reduced hrs of sleep) and it was only at night (and only after 1.5-2 hrs of sleep) that she would start screaming.

After doing some research into it, I'm thinking it might be the ears, which can very easily act up after a long flight.

Might be worth a look into it if your child doesn't recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭ronjo

Hi Ayla,

Our flight was only 2.5 hours and she didnt cry at all on the flights and slept most of the way back.
    However its something worth thinking about. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

We had something similar, the doctor put it down to growing pains. It still happens every now and then, lasts for a few days then stops for a few weeks. it only happened when she was resting, never when she was playing or walking. When our child was old enough to talk about the pain she would just tell us that her legs were sore, a quick massage of her calves would usually sort her out. There was never a feeling of cramp in her muscles, but the massage definitely did help her. Never tried pain medicines as our child can't stand anything sweet like calpol.
    It does go away, but as with everything, trust your instincts and seek medical advise if you are still worried.

Just as a follow up.
    My wife was speaking to our daughters doctor and she said it might be from the flight alright.
    She said to give her mild cold treatments and since then her sleeping has improved everynight and last night she slept the night through.
    So thanks a lot for advice and if anyone else has the same problem, this could be the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Just read an eye opening article on baby sleep (my son did not sleep through the night until he was 4) and i am currently breastfeeding and more or less co-sleeping with a 10mth old.
    Let’s start with an understanding of what normal baby sleep is. When a baby is in utero he borrows the circadian rhythms (natural sleep/wake cycle) of his mother as melatonin is passed to him via the placenta, after birth however, he’s on his own and it takes his wee body a while to be able to do what his mother’s did. In fact it takes him until at least 4mths to get anywhere close and even longer – until he begins school at AGE 4 to really get the same effect. T

Controlled Crying – Miracle Cure, Tough Love or Dangerous Misunderstanding?

• Advertisement

I understand that all babies are different but she was waking no more than once per night since she was 3 weeks old so we new there must be a reason for it.

Hopefully, all is back to normal for us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

lynski wrote: »
    Just read an eye opening article on baby sleep (my son did not sleep through the night until he was 4) and i am currently breastfeeding and more or less co-sleeping with a 10mth old.

Controlled Crying – Miracle Cure, Tough Love or Dangerous Misunderstanding?

Hi lynski,

thanks a mill for that post! I feel like now I really know why I do what I do with my little one! :-) I will enjoy any sleepless night from now on even more :-) THANKS AGAIN!:)

Advertisement