Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acceptable or annoying photographers at weddings

Options
  • 03-01-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was at a mates wedding at the weekend. The photographer was a mate of mine. Throughout the ceremony (which was in a catholic church). He went where-ever he saw fit to get as many good shots of the ceremony as possible, including behind the alter during the proceedings.

As I have photographed one wedding myself, and although I tried not to annoy people with flash during the mass, I thought this was fairly OK behaviour. However talking to people afterwards I noted how some found it somewhere between funny and annoying how he did this. :(

Which made me wonder....

What is acceptable for a photographer to do during a wedding ceremony, (including use of equipment, flash, positioning, moving around, getting in the way of people and all that) and secondly what would mean more to a couple; having loads of great shots of their big day or being pissed off by a photographer potentially buzzing about during their would be perfect wedding ceremony?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

When you say behind the alter during proceedings, do you mean when the priest was also behind the alter saying mass?? I can't see too many priests being happy to allow this to be honest.

I think when you are in a church during a wedding then the less noticeable you are the better really and whether you manage to achieve that or not is debateable of course!! Obviously there are times, especially during the marriage ceremony itself, that you are pretty close to the couple but other than that there should be no reason for you to be wandering all over the place. I'd usually pick a spot opposite to the bride and stay there for most of the mass if I can.

I did have one priest ask me to stay in the one spot before and thats fine, it's his house so his rules! I think you have to accept that you are in the church to record the occasion only and not to interrupt anything and to stay out of the way as best you can and you can get as creative as you wish before and after the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I guess each ceremony is different, and so is each priest. Some set rules, others give advice, and some really don't mind as long as you don't get in their way.

Such things should be discussed by the photographer with the priest and the couple before the event.

Some priests will say no flash, some will not allow you to move around, some will give you a free hand to capture the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

When i say behind the alter I mean not with the priest but behind it and over to one side. There was a division he could move behind without being seen before popping out on either side.

I guess the question is not so much what the priest would mind (as the priest said nothing) but rather what people/couples/brides expect to be acceptable. I feel that if I was to ask a bride or onlookers if she/they wanted me to not use flash she/they would say "please don't" however if I didnt ask the bride she might never notice and we would get good shots out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its usually discussed between the couple/priest and photographer in advance.

some couples want images of the two of them before a crowd of their friends....special moments like if/when he winks at her as she walks up the aisle or if he shakes the hand of her dad.

if you are in the best position you can capture these images, sometimes the best position is behind the priest (* its the one angle all the guests wont be getting during the ceremony - so for the couple its something different)

*= the amount of people who "copy" a wedding photographer trying to capture similar images is scary.... loads of wanna-be's with DSLR's think they can do the same as a professional just because they purchase a DSLR.

(I don't work as a wedding photographer but have been at my fair share of weddings and observed this behaviour many times)

To be honest, if ever i was doing a wedding, i'd have thought a behind-the-altar wide angle shot of the bride and groom in front of the whole church/all who attended would be an essential shot to take?!

I know it's a spot I'd be fighting for.

As for the photographer the OP is discussing, I'd say any bad stigma or negativity he's suffering from for moving around too much will be removed if he hands over an amazing collection of photographs (if he doesn't then he's got an uphill battle ahead, I guess?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What is acceptable is what the priest tells you, I have had some say to stand in one place and not to move and some that say I can only shoot from the back of the church and some (mostly a priest who is not from the parish) who say I can do whatever I want (within reason of course) Me personally I tend to only use flash when the ceremony has ended or if the bride walking up the aisle and is severly backlit.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I was at a wedding at the weekend. It was Church of Ireland wedding in a small chapel off the grounds of a Hotel.

Everyone took pictures as the bride walked up the aisle but then the minister asked politely if everyone could refrain from using flash photography so the main photographer could get his shots. The photographer did go behind the them at some point but you'd barely notice him. After the vows, the minister invited whoever wanted to take a picture of the bride and groom to come up, then finished the service. It was lovely and relaxed and obviously the photographer and the minister and worked it out before hand.

Saying that I was at another wedding a few months ago. It might as well have been the photographers wedding you could not but notice him the whole time (stomp stomp stomp!).

Advertisement