Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useful zoological books for beginners

• 03-01-2012 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello, friends!
    I want to refresh my knowledge in zoology, because since school I have nearly forgot it. please, advise me interesting and useful books
    I do my search myself, and even found a lot of serious scientific books in the free scientific library, for example that:
    http://reslib.com/book/Zoology__Miller_S_A__
    but I want something else, especially for beginning))
    Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Acrimoniously Challenged

When I was doing my undergraduate degree we had a module in first year that you HAD to do called Animal Evolution and Diversity. Anyway, they recommended a book called "Biology" by Campbell and Reece. I bought it but I never really used it so I can't fully comment on how useful the book is. It would be basic enough and, while it covers other topics of biology, it does have a very promising section called "Animal Form and Function".

Maybe it's too basic but you would just have to decide for yourself.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

When I was doing my undergraduate degree we had a module in first year that you HAD to do called Animal Evolution and Diversity. Anyway, they recommended a book called "Biology" by Campbell and Reece. I bought it but I never really used it so I can't fully comment on how useful the book is. It would be basic enough and, while it covers other topics of biology, it does have a very promising section called "Animal Form and Function".

Maybe it's too basic but you would just have to decide for yourself.
    Hope this helps.

Taz Crowe ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Acrimoniously Challenged

Taz Crowe ftw.

Agreed! The only reason that module was even half bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Agreed! The only reason that module was even half bearable.

Ah tom hayden has his moments too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ah tom hayden has his moments too!

Charles_Darwin_aged_51_crop.jpg

Particularly when he's standing infront of the above picture of Darwin... with whom, minus the sideburns, he looks particularly like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I always thought he looked like John Billingsley

320x240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I'm almost finished my first year of college now.. I'm doing science and planning to do my moderatorship in zoology. We Use Campbell's Biology as well. It's a great background to many fields in biology so it's a good one to have lying around. If you look in the Biology or Natural History sections in Hodges Figgis, you'll find lots of books at varying levels of complexity. Oh, and you should definitely read 'On the Origin of Species' if you haven't already. Some nice books to flick through include the IUCN Red List 'Species on the Edge of Survival' and I'm very attached to my copy of 'A Field Guide to the Carnivores of the World' by Luke Hunter and Priscilla Barrett. If you want something more advanced, you could try 'Animal Behaviour' by Chris Barnard; I quite like that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sandyfordboi

I do plant sciences (fancy way of saying botany) but we had a ecology module this year and our recomended was Begon, M., Townsend, C.R. & Harper, J.L. (2006) Ecology: from Individuals to Ecosystems. Fourth edition. Blackwell Publishing. Its fairly advanced but it is really good at explaining ecological concepts with regards to zoology! Campells is pretty good also just depends what level you want to get too!

Advertisement