Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Bare Root Trees and Shrubs

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I am looking to plant a native hedge using blackthorn, white thorn, hazel, Rosa carnea, holly and perhaps some spindle or bird cherry. I am wondering where I will be able to get bare root trees. I don't need huge quantities these and am after good quality stock. I am willing to travel around Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow so any one advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Try hedges.ie. These guys helped me last year - I ordered and they arrived by courier the next day. And thankfully the plants are happily growing away. No connection with them - just a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Tully Nurseries in North Dublin. Or future forrests in Cork (mail order)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Shamrock Trees, Treascon, Portarlington are very good. I've no connection to them btw!

www.irishshamrocktrees.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I just used Van der wells in Aughrim, Wicklow. I got a native mix of White thorn, black thorn, Viburnum opulis, Rosa canina, Euonymus europaus(spindel tree) Ilex and a couple of others I can't remember just now.

We had bought trees of them a few years ago so I know the quailty is good and they are very helpful.

It might be a bit of a drive but it's a beautiful drive at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

if you near Clondalkin / Naas road try Clondalkin Nurseries, i found this place very helpfull, they have good prices as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

www.flannerysnurseries.com well worth a call

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Damascena

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Flannerys and Tullys are closed until the 9th and I need it done by the end of the weekend. I am going to call out to Aughrim so. It looks like they have the exact stock I'm after. Thanks again to all for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

if you near Clondalkin / Naas road try Clondalkin Nurseries, i found this place very helpfull, they have good prices as well

I second this. I use them all the time for their stock and the place is tucked away in a beautiful old walled garden. you wouldnt think it existed so close to tallaght. I picked up 20 hawthorn this week for 2.50 a go and they were decent size.well they were 3 foot but i am a patient man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'd like to recommend Mary Procter out here in Donabate. She runs a nursery just off the M1/Donabate slip road. A lovely woman, very helpful and informative one-to-one customer service, good quality stock and great prices. Local people use her for bareroot hedging, trees and soft fruit. Give her a bell 01 8405176, I'm sure she can help.

Advertisement