Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new food

• 03-01-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

guys i know this topic has been done countless times but has anyone any recommendations for a good food. my budget is around €40 but could maybe stretch to €50. have been using whites for over a yr and as u see by my previous posts i loved not only there food but there customer service and delivery.
    however last 2 deliveries there was problems, 1st that someome had come down and had bought there stocks all up and was waiting on delivery from uk and 2nd was bad weather in uk hold up on their stock. now i am down to my last last bit of food maybe 5 days worth, i have been calling them between christmas and new year and again today but no answer.
    so any advise would be good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you are happy with whites can you see if any of your local vets stock it until you get sorted with delivery from them. I know one of the vets in my town do. Where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Would you try something like Burns?

On zooplus.co.uk it if you get 2 bags it works out at €45/15kg.

Then using the STOCK-UP coupon you will get a 5% discount.

Plus they have a saving plan option which costs £20 which means you get an additional 5% discount on every purchase you make over 3 years.

So all-in-all a bag of Burns works out at approx. €40/15kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    If you are happy with whites can you see if any of your local vets stock it until you get sorted with delivery from them. I know one of the vets in my town do. Where do you live?

i have just been looking at their stockiet and the neariest one to me is mullingar, i live in tullamore. i rang them but they no longer deal with whites as they were having to many problems. most of the other stockiest apart fron a few in dublin is galway. im gutted as all my dogs were doing great on it.
    i would have thought that they would have put their holiday dates up on their web page. also just heard that they are going to uk in early jan so maybe this is why nobody answering.

paultf wrote: »
    Would you try something like Burns?

On zooplus.co.uk it if you get 2 bags it works out at €45/15kg.

Then using the STOCK-UP coupon you will get a 5% discount.

Plus they have a saving plan option which costs £20 which means you get an additional 5% discount on every purchase you make over 3 years.

So all-in-all a bag of Burns works out at approx. €40/15kg.

thanks paul but i think from now on i would rather just buy the food from a vet/petstore rather than waiting on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Hi

I change my two (Husky and staffie-lab cross) to Taste of the Wild from Zooplus before christmas. Two 13.5kg bags for around 100 and its very good quality food and they love it. Would recommend and takes only 4-5 days to deliver.

• Advertisement

Hi

I change my two (Husky and staffie-lab cross) to Taste of the Wild from Zooplus before christmas. Two 13.5kg bags for around 100 and its very good quality food and they love it. Would recommend and takes only 4-5 days to deliver.

thanks thats a bit out of my range, wouldnt have €100 in one go, plus as i already said i dont want to rely on delivery anymore.

If murphys in Loughrea have it I can get it for you to keep you going until you sort delivery? Boyfriend is going to Dublin tomorrow if you could meet him on the way or know someone that could get it off him?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    If murphys in Loughrea have it I can get it for you to keep you going until you sort delivery? Boyfriend is going to Dublin tomorrow if you could meet him on the way or know someone that could get it off him?
    thanks tillygirl but i have just had 6 pm from different ppl who have been having nothing but trouble from them. 2 put in and paid for orders before xmas and not sure about 1 of the ppl but 1 has not had his order, despite calls, emails etc. so im now sort of worried is something going wrong with the company? just if there is would rather sort new food out now. i hope their not in trouble as not only good food but nice pplm
    where would b/friend be going through to get to dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hi

Hey how are you getting on with this - I've been thinking of changing my guy to it as it seems to be better quality than his JWB cereal free? What weights are the dogs and how much do you feed?

Back on topic OP maybe go to the local petshop and see what they have that suits your budget and work from that list to decide which is best for your dogs? The pet shops and vets can run out of stock too though so you may as well buy online and save some money!

I think the best food budget wise is RAW but it may not suit you to go down that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Hi
    i just switched my 2's from whites to real nature from maxi zoo (wet in the morning/ dry in the evening) i think the 15kg bag is around 50€. But they do often offers on it too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/ - try these, lots of choice , next day deliver & NEVER any problems

Aw crap that sucks I was planning on changing lexi over to the salmon one once she is finished the medicated stuff. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

we have our 2 collies on barking heads, its very good.
    we get it from pet store direct on belgard road in Tallaght, not sure if many places stock it tho as havent seen it anywhere else but maybe yo be might be lucky,
    €40 per bag and it lasts us roughly a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

have to say I'm disappointed too as I've been waiting for Whites since before Christmas. Their sensitive food really suits my dog and I've been feeding her various different things while I've been waiting.... just waiting for the fallout :(

I get it from a pet shop who have had trouble getting it from source. I got a message on my phone on christmas eve saying they had it in as I had asked them to keep it for me.... with travelling over Christmas today was the first day I've been able to get over there and lo and behold none left and though they say it'll be in on Thursday or friday I won't hold my breath.

I guess I'm looking for alternatives too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Hi Portgirl,

You might remember I had a similar problem before Christmas.

I would recommend printing off the ingredients from the Whites website and bringing it to your local petshop and see what they have available that is similar to Whites in both ingredients and price range. It's best to switch to something similar so the dogs digestive systems don't get too messed up! I switched from Whites to Premier High 5 without too much disruption.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

messrs wrote: »
    we have our 2 collies on barking heads, its very good.
    we get it from pet store direct on belgard road in Tallaght, not sure if many places stock it tho as havent seen it anywhere else but maybe yo be might be lucky,
    €40 per bag and it lasts us roughly a month

I would second Barking Heads for one dog but when we got the second dog I had to switch because it was just too expensive, 52 euro for a 12kg bag was just too much, plus you can only buy it in Petworld in the Republic plus their online delivery service was terrible and they charged 5 euro for it. I just hope Whites can sort themselves out and soon. I will keep you posted PG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Before I fed whites I fed James wellbeloved, the reason I switched was because there so similar yet whites was cheaper. So if your looking for something similar and easily available I would look at James wellbeloved and burns.

I'm afraid I'm switching from whites too, the 15kg bags while great value last too long here with only 1 small dog, the smaller bags aren't as good of value. I'm cutting down on dry food anyway and feeding more naturediet and chicken wings. If I could buy the 2kg bags in a nearby shop I would stick with it but I bought a 2kg bag of burns lamb and rice which was alright at €9.89 and will probably last at least a month or two. Thinking of changing to raw anyways.

marley123 wrote: »
    http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/ - try these, lots of choice , next day deliver & NEVER any problems
    got a bag of burns today while i figure out what im going to put them on. had a look at this site looks good. going to give them a try

Hi Portgirl,

You might remember I had a similar problem before Christmas.

I would recommend printing off the ingredients from the Whites website and bringing it to your local petshop and see what they have available that is similar to Whites in both ingredients and price range. It's best to switch to something similar so the dogs digestive systems don't get too messed up! I switched from Whites to Premier High 5 without too much disruption.

Good luck!

yeah i remember and i stuck up for them. got a bag of burns today will see how they all do on it, never heard of high 5 where is that got from?
    am bullying cos whites was brilliant with all my dogs, was the 1st food that suited them all. left a message on their fb page today asking when were they back to work and would have been nice if they could have maybe left a message on their phone and their web site just so at least ppl would know. funny how that was deleted but could not put up when there back.
    lost my custom know anyhow cant keep changing dogs food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've just switched to Barking Heads. Their fusspot food is similar to the Whites light& sensitive. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

guys i know this topic has been done countless times but has anyone any recommendations for a good food. my budget is around €40 but could maybe stretch to €50. have been using whites for over a yr and as u see by my previous posts i loved not only there food but there customer service and delivery.
    however last 2 deliveries there was problems, 1st that someome had come down and had bought there stocks all up and was waiting on delivery from uk and 2nd was bad weather in uk hold up on their stock. now i am down to my last last bit of food maybe 5 days worth, i have been calling them between christmas and new year and again today but no answer.
    so any advise would be good
    Hi Portgirl. I know you said your budget is between €40 and €50 ber bag dont rule out the more expencive feeds as in most cases with the very best premium stuf you will feed a lot less. So while you may pay say €70 per bag you feed a lot, lot less thus the €70 bag lasts much longer. I find the key is to gage the daly requirment and see how far the packet will go. Then you will see a cost per day of the feed. Then its easier to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

We started our new one on James Wellbeloved, we used to feed White's to our other dogs but had nothing but problems with deliveries, thought there food was good, not too expensive and they sent vouchers by e-mail off your next offer.

We were advised to feed her on James Wellbeloved and and they seem to have good deals on it now, her 15 kg bag will cost €49.99 (large breed puppy food)but there other adult food was €43.99 in our local petshop.

Hope that helps you somewhat :)

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hi Portgirl. I know you said your budget is between €40 and €50 ber bag dont rule out the more expencive feeds as in most cases with the very best premium stuf you will feed a lot less. So while you may pay say €70 per bag you feed a lot, lot less thus the €70 bag lasts much longer. I find the key is to gage the daly requirment and see how far the packet will go. Then you will see a cost per day of the feed. Then its easier to compare.
    the burns i got was over €60 so will see how long it lasts. the thing is though im not feeding any less than the whites so dont think i will be sticking with this food.

Wizard01 wrote: »
    We started our new one on James Wellbeloved, we used to feed White's to our other dogs but had nothing but problems with deliveries, thought there food was good, not too expensive and they sent vouchers by e-mail off your next offer.

We were advised to feed her on James Wellbeloved and and they seem to have good deals on it now, her 15 kg bag will cost €49.99 (large breed puppy food)but there other adult food was €43.99 in our local petshop.

Hope that helps you somewhat :)

think this is what im going to try next if i can get a stockist. our local pet shop stopped stocking it cos no one was buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

the burns i got was over €60 so will see how long it lasts. the thing is though im not feeding any less than the whites so dont think i will be sticking with this food.

Hi portgirl,

I have been feeding my dogs Burns for a few years. ( Though you might have seen my recent thread where I tried to change to Orijen - disaster! :eek:)

Anyways they are back on Burns. Burns recommend 10g/Kg - so my 10Kg dog gets 100g/day

On this site http://www.pet-pantry.co.uk/products.htm it claims Whites suggest 160g/day for a 10kg dog.

On their site Burns suggest that you need to stick to their guidelines otherwise there are problems e.g. tartar on teeth, anal gland problems, etc.

I found with Burns you don't need as much as other foods.

Do you mind me asking how many grams/Kg are you feeding of Burns?

just to let you all know had a call from whites this evening explaining the problems they have had and also that deliveries wernt back till todays. after a long conversation i will be going back to whites. they have guaranted that all problems are sorted and things are now back to normal. as i did say before this thread that i was happy with them and up to xmas i had never any hassle at all, and what i think is more important my dogs were happier on the whites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

RubyGirl wrote: »

Why would they change their name? I would have thought they'd built up quite a reputation for themselves under whites (which I though was a nicer name anyways, try saying creavens premium pet foods out loud :p). Seems like an odd move to me. :confused:

Advertisement