Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks in Midleton

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What walks are there near Midleton town or not more than 5 or 10 minutes drive from it?

The only requirement is that it is a safe place to walk and has parking nearby!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi there!

Well, if you're willing to drive about 10 minutes away - then head towards Whitegate. Park the car in the Car Park at White Bay and it's a lovely walk to the Lighthouse and back - a country stroll but sea air. Or there's the woods at Killeagh (sorry forgotten the name of the woods). And you could always drive to Fota and wander the grounds by the House for free - or drive another few miles and to the waterfront walk way in Cobh.

You've no excuse now - get walking :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Curragh woods Leamlara/Lisgould , just out the mill road from Midleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Rostellan woods, Just past Aghada GAA club(in Rostellan). Better still, park the car in Rostellan and walk the seafront to whitegate and back. About 4 miles in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ledgres

Thanks you for all the suggestions!

Are there any walks even closer to Midleton town? I have very little time to spare at the moment, but would love to get a walk in each day. I'm hoping to exercise far more this year than last...which wouldn't be difficult, as I was terribly lazy for the entire year of 2011 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ledgres wrote: »
    Thanks you for all the suggestions!

Are there any walks even closer to Midleton town? I have very little time to spare at the moment, but would love to get a walk in each day. I'm hoping to exercise far more this year than last...which wouldn't be difficult, as I was terribly lazy for the entire year of 2011 :P

Well, there is ballyannon wood, and the Distillery walk, but I would consider neither "safe".

Within the town there are plenty of urban circuits you could take, depending on what side of town you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

There's a walk which has earned the nickname locally "The Fat Mile" (because so many walkers use it - myself included!!!). Not sure how familiar you are with Midleton but this is the path along the Northern relief road near the train station. As I say, there are always other walkers and traffic passing so you're never on your own / isolated (so its as safe as you can be these days). Also, you can vary the route to just do that road or you can cut through Tesco car park & do a loop back the Mill Road, go on through the Main St of Midleton or extend it by adding in Broomfield Village. I'd wait until the evenings get a bit brighter for the last piece though as there are no lights on some of that route (near Midleton Rugby Club) so it is pitch dark.
    Re parking - depending on the route you are going to go you could park near the cinema or some of the carpark near Super Valu is council owned so no time restriction on how long you are there.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 little_roro

Hi all.. I'm new to Midleton too and want to get walking again but am nervous about walking after dark alone.. I've heard of the 'Fat Mile' but don't know the colloquial names of the roads that make up the route.. any way to google map it so I know where I'm going?? :)

Advertisement