Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog transport / couriers?

• 03-01-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have bought a puppy (from a reputable source) for a family member (who will definitely give it a good home) but the puppy is in Kerry and I live in Dublin, as does the relation I will be giving it to.

Is there any way of getting the dog to Dublin that doesn't involve my driving to Kerry and back? Excuse my ignorance if this is a very stupid question, but I don't have pets myself. Is there such thing as a dog courier, or a service like this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can you not drive to get the dog yourself? Or surely you have a family member or friend that go with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

andreac wrote: »
    Can you not drive to get the dog yourself? Or surely you have a family member or friend that go with you?

Yes, I could, but I am hoping to find an alternative. The earliest I can do it is the 15th of this month, and we want to get the dog to her new home asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have you bought the dog sight-unseen? Very bad idea, and the fact that the breeder was happy to sell the puppy to someone they've (presumably) never met would be ringing massive alarm bells for me.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Have you bought the dog sight-unseen? Very bad idea, and the fact that the breeder was happy to sell the puppy to someone they've (presumably) never met would be ringing massive alarm bells for me.

Yes, I bought the dog sight unseen. The breeder is a friend of my aunt's, who lives in the area, and is also a dog owner. She vouched for the future owner to the breeder, and for the breeder to us.

Any transport related suggestions / advice? My aunt is a 'blow in' and we don't have family or friends making regular trips to / from Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but i really think you need to make this trip yourself. Its very unfair to take a new pup from its mother and courier it up to you :(. I wouldnt allow any of my pups if i ever bred to go to their new homes like this without meeting the new owner.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but i really think you need to make this trip yourself. Its very unfair to take a new pup from its mother and courier it up to you :(. I wouldnt allow any of my pups if i ever bred to go to their new homes like this without meeting the new owner.

I will not be the new owner. The dog will be going to a relative who does not drive. She had had dogs all her life, took very good care of them, and her last one died last year. This is a dog of the same breed. The dog is going to a good home and is coming from a good breeder, who knows it is going to a good home. We are in regular contact with the breeder who is a family friend.

There are no ethical issues here, so can we please move on? All I want to know is if there is a service that will bring dogs to different parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Bruce7 wrote: »
    I will not be the new owner. The dog will be going to a relative who does not drive. She had had dogs all her life, took very good care of them, and her last one died last year. This is a dog of the same breed. The dog is going to a good home and is coming from a good breeder, who knows it is going to a good home. We are in regular contact with the breeder who is a family friend.

There are no ethical issues here, so can we please move on? All I want to know is if there is a service that will bring dogs to different parts of the country.

Totally agree with you here. You cannot ask a simple question on boards without people immediately attacking you. Can anyone just answer his question !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Dont know any companies & if you arent prepared to do the trip yourself perhaps a boardsie could help if you cover petrol costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

reeta wrote: »
    [/B]

Totally agree with you here. You cannot ask a simple question on boards without people immediately attacking you. Can anyone just answer his question !!!!

A question was asked, openly, on a public forum. You need to accept that you will get answers - some you like and some you dont. If honest answers from genuine people are not what you are looking for Google would have been a far better tool to be used.

If people do not agree with you or what you are proposing I wouldn't expect them to answer after these comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Contact Iarnroid Eireann. You might be able to transport it on a train direct to Dublin if there is a non passenger Guards van
    wrote:
    All dogs conveyed in the Guards Van (non-passenger compartment) must be properly labelled giving the name, address and destination of the owner.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=86#86

Alternatively, some courier companies and/or taxis will also do it, but expect to pay possibly up to €200 from Kerry to Dublin.

The above isnt ideal to transport a small puppy as you know so please weigh up the risks carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

reeta wrote: »

it's called discussion and debate, it's never going to simply be a yes or no answer on an Internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    it's called discussion and debate, it's never going to simply be a yes or no answer on an Internet forum.
    The OP asked for transport options for this dog, not to be lynched into the aspects of why he shouldnt be buying blind off someone he hasnt met. Thats his perogative and not for us to judge unless he's specifically asked us his opinion, which he hasnt.

If people cant give him an answer to his question then theres no need to reply at all in my opinion. Hes not asking for a debate here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That's why I didnt reply to the original question. I was commenting on other posters giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys less of the back seat modding and conclusion jumpings.

OP has asked a question can we please try and answer it without lots of personal comments thrown in for good measure.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Contact Iarnroid Eireann. You might be able to transport it on a train direct to Dublin if there is a non passenger Guards van

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=86#86

Alternatively, some courier companies and/or taxis will also do it, but expect to pay possibly up to €200 from Kerry to Dublin.

The above isnt ideal to transport a small puppy as you know so please weigh up the risks carefully.

Thanks for this. The dog is 3 months old now so not so small any more, but only the Dublin-Cork train has a guard's van so this is not an option in any case. I tried DHL with no success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. The dog is 3 months old now so not so small any more, but only the Dublin-Cork train has a guard's van so this is not an option in any case. I tried DHL with no success.

OP as far as I know 'normal' couriers are not allowed to transport live animals, I wouldn't be asking one to either tbh as it would be loaded in a lorry with all the other freight and definitely wouldn't be safe for a puppy, other deliveries etc. could fall on the crate, possibly injuring the puppy.

I've bought my puppy unseen by the way but I doubt the breeder would even entertain any method of transport other than me collecting it in person, nor would I consider any other option myself. I think if you look into pet transport companies you will find that they wouldn't be the cheapest option, if you are completely stuck though there may be some that let you travel with the animal. I can't recommend any personally though as I have never used one of these services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think Dublin Pet Services will pick up and deliver dogs, I know they walk and mind dogs. Their website is under construction but they leave their email address and number on it www.dublinpetservices.ie

Advertisement