Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Laser Multi Function Printer Clearance €90

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Having sworn off buying yet another Inkjet to replace my dead HP I went in to PC World to pick up a bog standard Samsung laser for €60. Sitting beside it was this thing: http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/print-solutions/print-solutions/mono-multi-function-products/SCX-4828FN/SEE

Reduced to €89.97 - it's £350 on amazon.

This is a small office type mono printer/scanner/fax/photocopier. It's got an Ethernet port so you can hook it up to your router (no wireless though) or you can just use USB. 30ppm and wakes from standby in 8.5 seconds (15 seconds from switch on). Rated at 50,000 pages per month it's complete overkill for home use. I've seen genuine Samsung toner cartridges online for £40 (5000 pages).

They had one in PC World in Swords yesterday, so it seems to be still available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Absolute bargain, I've been looking at these recently as my Dad wants a laser multi printer but the darn thing has to have fax as he's old school. Normal laser multi printer without fax can be up to two thirds cheaper than one with fax!

Only bugbear with this one is that it's black and white, but still! Laser printers are great, don't think I've ever replaced the cartridge on the 2 I've owned, only reason I got a 2nd laser is that the first was a) black and white b) no drivers available for newer operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

ncur wrote: »
    Only bugbear with this one is that it's black and white, but still! Laser printers are great, don't think I've ever replaced the cartridge on the 2 I've owned, only reason I got a 2nd laser is that the first was a) black and white b) no drivers available for newer operating systems.

There are drivers available. Win 7 picked it up and installed drivers automagically. I've yet to plug a Mac into it, but I've read that it's picked up by Bonjour so there is little configuration required. Drivers up here: http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/print-solutions/print-solutions/mono-multi-function-products/SCX-4828FN/SEE-support

Lack of colour is a problem for some, but I only ever used color for photos and it worked out much cheaper to use bonusprint for snaps.

It will also print from/scan to USB drives without using a PC. Oh, it does full duplex too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

None in Carrickmines btw. Just back from there

Might be worth ringing around - I got the last one in Liffey Valley on New Years eve, but they had one in Swords yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

stimpson wrote: »
    Might be worth ringing around - I got the last one in Liffey Valley on New Years eve, but they had one in Swords yesterday.

I emailed PCW, but Websales Team replied that they don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Sorry should clarify I have a Samsung CLP 300 now, laser colour. My 1st laser printer was black and white and is about 20 years old, hence no drivers, that's why I retired it! Still working perfectly as far as know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

stimpson wrote: »
    I've seen genuine Samsung toner cartridges online for £40 (5000 pages).

Any links, can only find the 2000 page toners for that price, the 5000 page ones are near the same price as the printer

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=110797994927&index=18&nav=SEARCH&nid=02687310372

Remember the printer comes with the low capacity cartridge - 1500 pages I think.

Edit: Scratch that. On closer inspection it's down as d9020l/d9020s which are the codes for the large and small versions. They are available on Amazon for ~£60 and you can get toner refill kits for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have 3 of these in the office, they have only done about 20,000 pages each but are brilliant machines so far and cheap to run. Toner is normally about €60/€70 I think for the high capacity.

If anyone is looking for stock on these it might be worth asking over at the Currys/PCWorld forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Stay away from this if your planning to use the scanner function with Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

2 left in Mahon, Cork from what I saw.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Stay away from this if your planning to use the scanner function with Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

They have updated their drivers since that post. Apparently you could extract the PPD from the package and just use that with success. In any case, that thread is about the 4846, not the 4828 on sale in PCW.

The drivers are proprietary, if that bother you but do actually work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    In fairness few if any multifunction devices work with OS's they don't have drivers for. 64 bit windows would be a excellent example of this.

ncur wrote: »
    Sorry should clarify I have a Samsung CLP 300 now, laser colour. My 1st laser printer was black and white and is about 20 years old, hence no drivers, that's why I retired it! Still working perfectly as far as know.
    what was that printer ?
    most lasers will emulate others so you can usually fall back to a more generic driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭sundodger5

saw colour laser printers in Harvey Norman yesterday for 75 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got the last one in dublin with scanner in PCW. still 1 in cork.

lots of 60euro ones in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I don't think there are any left in Cork - I was down there today looking for it and it's space on the shelf was empty (The little description card was there, but the printer was nowhere to be seen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Schorpio wrote: »

I don't think there are any left in Cork - I was down there today looking for it and it's space on the shelf was empty (The little description card was there, but the printer was nowhere to be seen).

i saw it on the system about 4 today. mine was in the clearance section

Advertisement