Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefit Query

• 03-01-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

Apologies if this has been asked already, I had a quick look and don't see it.
    I'm currently working full time but over the last year I have been suffering from stress which is getting worse. I'm at the point where I have to pretty much decide if it's worth risking my health by staying on here. Friends have suggested I take extended sick leave, which would mean I'd still get paid, but I don't feel that that would solve the problem, only pause it for a while. It would also mean extra pressure on my colleagues which just wouldn't be fair.
    My question is, if I leave this job rather than get made redundant, do I still qualify for jobseekers benefit? My husband is working full time but things would be extremely tight. I don't want to go from one stressful situation to the other. I guess I feel bad given that so many people would do anything for a steady job, but I just don't feel I can stay here any more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you leave your job you will not get jobseekers benefit because your not looking for a job. If you are not fit for work and your GP agrees you will get Illnes benefit. Im afraid i dont understand your reticence about staying away from work whilst unwell, if you are unfit for work, then you should take time off to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi MrsByrne

thanks for taking the time to reply. The reason I would seek jobseekers benefit is because I would be looking for a job. I'm having difficulties in the job I have which is causing me stress. I don't want to just walk out of it to nothing because for one, I need to be able to pay my bills, and two, I don't want to not work, I just don't feel I can carry on working here. I have been applying for jobs for months with no success. This really would be my last resort.
    The question is, if I willingly leave a job do I still qualify for job seekers benefit? I have over 10 years worth of PRSI stamps, does this make any difference?
    Luckily I have never been unemployed before so I really don't know anything about it or how it works.
    I hope I don't come across as flippant about a steady income which I know I'm lucky to have. But is it worth having it when it's affecting my health?
    If I go to my GP and he signs me off work, doesn't this just waste time claiming illness benefit knowing I'll still have to return here? Anyway I don't think I'd need to claim illness benefit as my employers cover sick leave.

Maybe this thread should be in PI.

Advertisement