Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with Chinese Manufacturers

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Have been looking at bringing a product into Ireland and starting a new business.
    Basically the product itself is manufactured and shipped in from China. Made some initial contact with a manufacturer, however their response by email didn't answer any of the questions I had asked.
    So my questions are:
    Is it hard to deal with Chinese manufactures due to the language difficulties?
    If I order a thousand pieces, what happens if its shipped incorrectly and the product is wrong?
    Can I pay them after the shipment has been deemed correct?

Any help and information with dealing with Chinese manufacturers would be great. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spinga

Firstly the language barrier should not exist, at least i have never had problems with it.
    You will have to get product samples, you will prob pay for shipping and samples should be free unless it is an expensive product.
    They will always (initially anyway) look for payment upfront before they ship to you.
    I import a lot from Aisa , pm me if you wish to talk.
    Spinga

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

In my (limited) experience it takes about 3 months to build up to a relationship with a chinese manufacturer, but they'd love you forever afterwards . I think it's more a cultural thing than a language thing .

They treat business relationships cautiously , and are deliberately coy when communicating at first .

They really want to see what type of customer you will be as opposed to trying to get a sale .
    once you spend the time dancing with them , then they'll hop into bed all guns blazing .

Hope that helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I am looking for a Chinese manufacturer of bathroom fittings, does anyone have any ideas on who I should go to?

I have imported bits and pieces in the past, the money has to be paid to the manufacturer up front, and you takes your chance after that. Mixed results with quality even with recommendations, so be very careful when ordering.

The manufacturers I used in the past were recommended, but my contact in China has stopped doing that sort of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

burnnotice wrote: »
    Have been looking at bringing a product into Ireland and starting a new business.
    Basically the product itself is manufactured and shipped in from China. Made some initial contact with a manufacturer, however their response by email didn't answer any of the questions I had asked.
    So my questions are:
    Is it hard to deal with Chinese manufactures due to the language difficulties?
    If I order a thousand pieces, what happens if its shipped incorrectly and the product is wrong?
    Can I pay them after the shipment has been deemed correct?

Any help and information with dealing with Chinese manufacturers would be great. thanks

Hello Burnnotice,

Dealing with Chinese manufacturers can be challenging. There is an element of language barrier, but most Chinese companies that are export orientated would have staff with a level of English. However, where the challenges come are in the specification of the product and price negotiation. Also, be ware that you really need to do a lot of research to ensure you are dealing with an actual factory instead of an intermediary.

In my experience, nothing, absolutely nothing is shipped from China without either the full invoice price paid or the documents sent to the bank for collection. In any event, you will have paid for the product before you take delivery in Ireland. It is usual to pay 30% to 50% before the order is accepted.

If this is your first time dealing in China, I would urge caution. My recommendation would be to deal through a reputable (Irish based) sourcing company. They would have extensive experience in dealing with China, understand the culture and way of doing business. They have people on the ground in China that would visit factories and do QC / Pre-shipment inspections. The have extensive databases of manufacturers / suppliers of a wide range of products a wide number of industries. The advantage would be that you would be dealing with an Irish based entity. In terms of cost, because they know the way and because they have other business, their pricing would be competitive. Feel free to PM me, I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

One final point, take charge of the shipping process. Do not leave the shipping to your chinese supplier. There are many threads on Boards.ie where people recount their experiences and the problems they have encountered. Use an Irish based forwarder and agree costs before the shipment leaves.

Best of luck with your endeavours and happy new year

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

JD Dublin wrote: »
    Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I am looking for a Chinese manufacturer of bathroom fittings, does anyone have any ideas on who I should go to?

I have imported bits and pieces in the past, the money has to be paid to the manufacturer up front, and you takes your chance after that. Mixed results with quality even with recommendations, so be very careful when ordering.

The manufacturers I used in the past were recommended, but my contact in China has stopped doing that sort of work.

Hello JD Dublin,

I will PM you with some suggestions.

Cheers and Happy New Year
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Hi Rudolf
    Can you PM me same info also
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello JD Dublin,