Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Monbiot aims fire at Exacta Weather, and Positive Weather Solutions (PWS)

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Article Its the usual anti Climate Change deniers Monbiot stuff but interesting that he names these two charlatan sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

anti Climate Change deniers - I am one of these people. Now our people have a name. ACCD
    I'm sure no one denies that the climate changes, people just disagree with the fact that we have as much impact as some would like us to believe.
    Being green is about on par with being slim/sexy when it comes to selling products.
    Plus you have the green taxes :D
    If these theories weren't made 'fact' because they become a popularist agenda it would be fine.
    But hey that's life!

Oil will run out
    We will have Moon Bases
    Ozone layer is gone, prepare to burn alive
    Plastic bags will out live the sun
    Your car is going to kill all the fish

Nostradamus coudn't predict this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Well said by the journalist. By the way, I see the comment section has predictably descended into the old AGW debate.

A fact - tabloid sales go up approximately 10% when they carry a front page story about the weather. Hence, conducting background checks on long range forecasters and providing fair and balanced coverage is not always the priority. The problem with this is that the tabloids, including the Indo here, account for the biggest share of newspaper sales in Ireland. It's the end of mainstream print journalism as we know it.

Thank God we have t'internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Exacta weather got it drastically wrong. I don't know why he bothers. Seems like he just plucks an idea out of his head and states it as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I am not happy with the term deniers. Its a loaded term.

my view on the matter is simple ( and empirical). There is global warming, some of this i to a high probability anthropogenic , but the models devised in the 90's - which assumed all the unexplainable warming was manmade - fail in the naughites to explain the little or no heating since 2000, or 1998.

Therefore the models need a correction, not the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yahew wrote: »
    fail in the naughites to explain the little or no heating since 2000, or 1998.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

NASA's data is not agreed to by everybody else. I will post the canonical chart in a moment, when I find it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcrut3/diagnostics/global/nh%2Bsh/index.html

hadcrut. Smoothed averages over time can be deceiving - for instance a smoothedgraph of Irish economic growth from 1980 to 2011 would obviously be trending upwards. It looks like, from eyeballing, a graph just of 2000-2010 would be flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FFS! This wasn't about Climate change but about such sites being latched onto by idiot media.

/never mind carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Exacta weather got it drastically wrong. I don't know why he bothers. Seems like he just plucks an idea out of his head and states it as fact.
    ......... for the second winter in a row - next winter they will going for a hat trick ! :rolleyes:
    Maybe I'm thinking of Positive Weather Solutions? Not that it makes much difference, they're all con artists anyway, which reminds me, I haven't heard anything from Mr Corbyn lately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its amazing how many of these long term forecasters/quacks are taken seriously by the media. They seriously need to up their standards in the reporting of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

......... for the second winter in a row - next winter they will going for a hat trick ! :rolleyes:
    Maybe I'm thinking of Positive Weather Solutions? Not that it makes much difference, they're all con artists anyway, which reminds me, I haven't heard anything from Mr Corbyn lately

You spoke too soon.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement