Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French and English

• 03-01-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Haven't a clue where to start for French and don't know how to study English poetry!Please help!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

im the same

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

The way I study English poetry is as follows:
    1. I pick a poet
    2. I look through the exam papers and write down every single question that has ever came up on them (Just write it in short hand!)
    3. I then try and do out a plan using quotes
    4. I normally do a general plan that will cover all questions i.e. one that I can twist about to suit the question

Once you have a general understanding of each of the poems you should be on you're way! Most of the poetry questions are quite general i.e comment on the appeal of boland's poetry

That's just how I do it anyways :) Can't help you with the French as I do German :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Best way to practice for Poetry...and All other English question (comparative, drama, stories etc) is to do Past Exam Questions!!
    Do three Poetry question tomorrow...and you'll start getting it. It keeps getting easier the more of them you practice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

a good way to study french is to go over your grammar, then do comprehensions from previous years, take some vocab you think you might use from them and study them and do previous reaction questions without a dictionary or google translate

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

French - I find the best way to study it is to take each specific opinion piece topic (poverty, sport, racism etc) and write out any useful vocabulary for it. Then find an exam question relating to that topic and write out a plan. For grammar, just take a tense every day. I find sometimes visual/audio learning can help with this and I often use these videos for studying http://www.frenchspanishonline.com/magazine/?page_id=252 (wasn't in the day my teacher started the subjunctive so was lost when I came in the next day. This basically tought me what I needed to know)

English - I have to admit I'm a little arrogant with English. I'm naturally good at it so my writing gets me pretty far without actually needing to study much, but I do look over poetry and comparative a lot. For poetry I just take each poem, bullet point the main issues of the poem (love, depression, death etc) and have a couple of quotes for each poem. Using SLITT technique is great too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement