Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigaphooca Castle Macroom

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Anyone here know how to get to Carrigaphooca Castle? I know its about 3 miles outside of Macroom on the Killarney road, but it appears to be surrounded by private land on that side.

Just wondering as I pass it regularly and would love to get a few photos of the place!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

yup live near the place ! there's public right of way to the castle so you can go visit it . The land owner mr.healy is a bit odd and has put a lock on the castle door (which is owned by the state ) but he will open it if you go to the house and ask for access . If he refuses just mention its public property and you'll ring the council . He prob wont refuse though .
    The views from the castle are unreal so its well worth the trip !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Thanks, the house the one nearby on the N22 on the left as you come from Macroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Could someone post a link to it on Google Maps please? I'm interested to know exactly where this castle is. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Could someone post a link to it on Google Maps please? I'm interested to know exactly where this castle is. Thanks :)
    I'm on my phone so can't post link. But if you take the road to Ballyvourney, pass the graveyard on your right and the hotel on your left. Pass the recycling place on your right, keep going until you see a junction on your left, (dont take this road) there is a house high up looking down on the road, there is a "Killian lynch" for sale sign next to it. Keep going you're nearly there. You'll pass a small white cottage on your left.
    When the road straightens out you should see the castle in a field on your left.

Hope you find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I can upload some really nice photos of the castle this weekend , the mist comes up off the river and covers the fields leaving the castle sticking through , its pretty eerie to be honest !
    You can see how it got its name , "rock of the evil spirit "

The easiest directions for finding it are go out the kilarney road (N22) from macroom for three miles untill you come to a straight segment of the road approx 1 mile long at the end of that there is a grave on the right hand side of the road for seven free state soldiers and on the left you can see the castle through the gaps in the trees , http://maps.google.ie/?ll=51.911041,-9.02282&spn=0.000003,0.003484&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.911,-9.022708&panoid=Puj662vwVBOxn4HY2G62ow&cbp=12,238.86,,0,0.12

thats a picture from the road of the castle ,

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=51.910525,-9.021076&spn=0.000003,0.003484&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.91055,-9.021221&panoid=YsHDKP7_-lj9kDO8i8AtDw&cbp=12,14.41,,2,12.82

thats a picture of the grave for the soldiers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Access is not a problem, I just called at the farmhouse (it's the only obvious one on the left side of the road as you leave Macroom).

It's a beautiful castle - here's the image of it I got that morning. (Click for the larger version).
    181t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sean501

yup live near the place ! there's public right of way to the castle so you can go visit it . The land owner mr.healy is a bit odd and has put a lock on the castle door (which is owned by the state ) but he will open it if you go to the house and ask for access . If he refuses just mention its public property and you'll ring the council . He prob wont refuse though .
    The views from the castle are unreal so its well worth the trip !

Hi there
    I know this post is a few years old but would you know if there is still access to the castle and is the situation with the local farmer still the same.. I would love to visit it.. Thanks for posting this info!!

Advertisement