Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part time farming and tax

• 03-01-2012 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I am a part time farmer and have been registered for tax for years now but most of the time I get tax refunds from my PAYE contributions as I mostly make a loss on the farm due to upgrading what were rough holdings when I got them (some would say they are still rough:D)

Well here is my question. This year from a rough glance I have made a loss of about €20k due to drainage and intensive reseeding. I pay a lot of tax at 40%, so for the accountants out there will I get back 40% of 20k or how do they work it out? The biggest loss I made before this year was €2k so I have never had such an interest before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

the max refund you can receive back is the amout of tax you have paid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP are you claiming the vat back on the reclaimation/drainage work? I'm not an accountant but you may not be able to write this off all in one year, I'm open to correction but I think drainage work can be written off over 2 years, other capital expenses are normally written off over 7 years.

What I'm trying to say is it might be better to write off stuff over a longer timeframe and just pay some tax at a lower level over a few years, rather than trying to avoid paying any tax for one year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

reclaimation is a capital investment and is written off over 7 years, here's some info on PAYE tax refunds

http://www.examiner.ie/business/farming/you-cant-offset-hobby-farming-losses-but-171216.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

blue5000 wrote: »
    OP are you claiming the vat back on the reclaimation/drainage work? I'm not an accountant but you may not be able to write this off all in one year, I'm open to correction but I think drainage work can be written off over 2 years, other capital expenses are normally written off over 7 years.

What I'm trying to say is it might be better to write off stuff over a longer timeframe and just pay some tax at a lower level over a few years, rather than trying to avoid paying any tax for one year.

Yeah i will be claiming the VAT back but this will only amount to about 400. The rest of the drainage expense is for stone which i did a hay for stone exchange with a quarry owner. Seed, fert., contractors etc come in for the rest so most is not a multiple year write off. There are also some fairly hefty interest repayments too unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

ml100 wrote: »
    reclaimation is a capital investment and is written off over 7 years, here's some info on PAYE tax refunds

http://www.examiner.ie/business/farming/you-cant-offset-hobby-farming-losses-but-171216.html

Interesting article - wonder how revenue determine a hobby farm

• Advertisement
Advertisement